• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

505 vs 1010 scale

rrflyer

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2008
DFW, TX
Looking for a good balance beam. If theres no need to use the extended range of the 1010 is there any reason to pick it over a 505 scale?

Re: 505 vs 1010 scale

I switched from the 5-0-5 to the 10-10 a couple of years ago. I never had any problems with the 5-0-5, but I like the 10-10 better. They both seem to wiegh identically. I like how the 10-10 has a self contained case for storage. I like the adjustment for 10th of a grain better. I would bump the 5-0-5 occasionally and move the setting that doesn't happen with the 10-10. I think the 10-10 is suppose to be a little more precise, but I haven't been able to find any noticable differences when they are set up side by side. I bought my 10-10 used off ebay for 60 dollars. I have wanted one for a while, so I am happy with my choice.

The 10-10 is the extended version of the 5-10. The 5-10, If you can find one, Is one Heck of a scale. I sometimes see (Old, New Stock) on eBay. But, in all honesty it will probably cost as much as a 10-10..

I have weighed capacitors to measure out gassing, and had to use tweezers to avoid the error from the weight of a finger print.

We do not need that kind of accuracy with powder. Most any powder scale 50 years old is still plenty accurate. What to look for is one that is convenient to use. That often means magnetically induced eddy current damping.

Fortunately, both the 5-0-5 and the 10-10 are magnetically dampened. They are both very good scales for reloading. I don't think you would go wrong with either one. I like the 10-10 a little better than the 5-0-5. I still have and use my 5-0-5. It makes sorting a little easier when I have two scales. I can set one up for a high and one for a low. Whatever tolerance I am willing to accept is in the middle. I just move brass or bullets from one scale to the next and put it in the appropriate pile.

" If theres no need to use the extended range of the 1010 is there any reason to pick it over a 505 scale?"

I've used the forerunner of the 1010 (Lyman M-5) since 1965 with total satisfaction. Expect it to remain the same for at least that much longer. Like the 'self storing' case but that means nothing to the performance.

All that said, I have NEVER used the extended range (above the basic 505 grains) for reloading so I'm convinced you - and I - would be just as well served with the basic 505 unit. There is no difference in the precision, the 'guts' are identical and they are all made by the Ohaus company. Spend the extra money if you wish but it won't buy you anything helpful.