• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Addiction (Swedemoor)

Tagging in. This could be an interesting hunting cartridge. I wonder if it would still get decent velocity from a 24" barrel...

I'm now running a 20" Tikka ctr rechambered to the 6.5 A for my hunting rifle. I managed to take a couple animals in New Zealand with it last month and it worked well. I was running 130 Berger AR Hybrids at 2985 with .5 MOA groups. I think you could get to 3050 in a 24" without too much trouble.

This cartridge has really peaked my interest , I'm not a competition shooter just a hunter and long range shooter . I have a FN SPR and when the time & $$$ allow this may be my choice .What I'd like to know is how SA receiver friendly is this round ? . I've measured my bolt face and it's right @ .480 " ( if I've measured correctly ) my current FN factory max mag length is @ 2.895 " but that does not promote reliable feeding .
What magazine and bottom metal would work best with the 6.5 Addiction in my Rifle ? , 140 grain and up projectiles .
When the time comes I'm thinking a Proof Research barrel and Alpha Mags / CDI bottom metal if the FN factory BM & mags are inadequate .
Please share any thoughts and information you have !

I'm now running a 20" Tikka ctr rechambered to the 6.5 A for my hunting rifle. I managed to take a couple animals in New Zealand with it last month and it worked well. I was running 130 Berger AR Hybrids at 2985 with .5 MOA groups. I think you could get to 3050 in a 24" without too much trouble.

Are you running the factory CTR mags?

I'm also curious. I'm thinking about changing over one of my Tikkas to this caliber, and it's currently set up with TRG/CTR mags. Did you just re-cut the chamber, or rebarrel it entirely?

Are you running the factory CTR mags?

I am running the CTR mags and they have plenty of room for the 130s (I am just under 2.9 OAL). Also the barrel was the factory .260 barrel that I had reamed to the 6.5A. I left the original stock on to keep the weight down and it shot plenty well enough for now. I'll probably go to a longer fluted/carbon barrel in the future and maybe a nice light hunting stock.
IMG_3667.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: nrspence
This cartridge has really peaked my interest , I'm not a competition shooter just a hunter and long range shooter . I have a FN SPR and when the time & $$$ allow this may be my choice .What I'd like to know is how SA receiver friendly is this round ? . I've measured my bolt face and it's right @ .480 " ( if I've measured correctly ) my current FN factory max mag length is @ 2.895 " but that does not promote reliable feeding .
What magazine and bottom metal would work best with the 6.5 Addiction in my Rifle ? , 140 grain and up projectiles .
When the time comes I'm thinking a Proof Research barrel and Alpha Mags / CDI bottom metal if the FN factory BM & mags are inadequate .
Please share any thoughts and information you have !

Your bolt face should be good to go. The 2.895 will be limiting for load development and you'll be close to maxing the length. I'd look at AICS compatible bottom metal. Alpha mags will only be able to hold 6-7 rnds because of the case taper of the 6.5A, the case is also longer than the .308 and starts to push out the indent on the mag that would normally be in front of the shoulder on a 308 sized cartridge. It does run very well in a short action, there are just some limitations when it comes to mags. Tikka CTR/TRG mags and AICS mags run flawlessly. If you like playing with your equipment and trying new things this a great cartridge:)

Very interesting idea!
I have several standard 6.5x55s in long actions, and I was just gathering parts to build another 260 (possibly 260AI) short action FN SPR with CDI bottom metal build.
However now I may go another direction with this build.

Thanks !

I am running the CTR mags and they have plenty of room for the 130s (I am just under 2.9 OAL). Also the barrel was the factory .260 barrel that I had reamed to the 6.5A. I left the original stock on to keep the weight down and it shot plenty well enough for now. I'll probably go to a longer fluted/carbon barrel in the future and maybe a nice light hunting stock.

What velocity do you get with your load?

Am I the only one wanting to see this done in an RPR??

Problem is that ideal COAL for this round won't work in most short actions. One other poster said that his COAL is just under 2.9" with the 130s... so, right on the edge of what would work out of an AICS .308-class magazine (IIRC, max recommended COAL for them is 2.88). With the 140-class projectiles it'd be single load only.

Problem is that ideal COAL for this round won't work in most short actions. One other poster said that his COAL is just under 2.9" with the 130s... so, right on the edge of what would work out of an AICS .308-class magazine (IIRC, max recommended COAL for them is 2.88). With the 140-class projectiles it'd be single load only.

This works with Accurate mags, AICS with the front plate removed, and the new ARC mags. It's on the edge but it definitely works. For people that want simple, this probably isn't the best direction, but if you want a significant increase in performance over the average 6.5 it's worth the trouble.

Reactions: Diablo4130
This works with Accurate mags, AICS with the front plate removed, and the new ARC mags. It's on the edge but it definitely works. For people that want simple, this probably isn't the best direction, but if you want a significant increase in performance over the average 6.5 it's worth the trouble.

Well, shit. Color me wrong.

AIAW mags are great for this application as long as you have an action with the clearance needed to feed the longer rounds.I'm currently running my .260 loads to 2.885" and have plenty of room left in the mag still.

The only issue with the AW mags is they really don't seem to like the straighter Ackley type taper of the 6.5A. Same with the Alpha mags, you only get 7-8 rnds before it starts to bow the mag out.

What's the ideal length to trim brass to for the 6.5 Addiction?
You don't have to trim, once you fireform the case actually shortens a bit and the sharp shoulder keeps it from growing much. However, I have found that there can be a significant overall length difference so you should plan on trimming to a uniform length after a couple firings.

I believe Scott Satterlee tried everything under the sun in these and found 4831 and RL26 to be the best. I think you are going to give up some velocity with H1000 but I'm sure it would work if you don't mind going a little slower.

I have a rifle at Kevins at the moment getting a couple barrels made up in 6.5 Addiction. For the most accurate loads do you prefer Berger hybrids or the Nosler RDF projectiles.

I have just shot the RDFs, I did try the 147 Elds but they didn't shoot as well and showed pressure sooner.

That's great news as I have 1000 RDFs on hand can you tell me what velocity you ended up at after load development I am going 26" 1 in 8 Hawk Hill barrels. Would you also like to share your load ?

That's great news as I have 1000 RDFs on hand can you tell me what velocity you ended up at after load development I am going 26" 1 in 8 Hawk Hill barrels. Would you also like to share your load ?

I ran a ladder up to 53.5g RL26 which got me to just over 3200. My shooting partner is only running a 23" barrrel so I went with a lighter load to keep our velocity similar. Settled on 51.5g with a big jump. Getting 3060-3075 depending on altitude and temp. He is running a light jam and right around 3000 or a little less with 53g.

Could a smith use an existing barrel cut for 6.5 creedmoor, and transition it to a 6.5 addiction? like a manlier version of caitlyn jenner

Haha you can, you just need to be careful because the Creed has very little taper and you might have to cut a little extra off to get a smooth sidewall on the chamber.

this may have been discussed but around what loads are you guys using to fire form?

47gr either H4831 or RL26 and whatever 140g bullets I have laying around. It is an accurate load and 2850+fps

Thinking of re-barreling my Tikka M595 Master Sporter to this or the 6.5 GWI (currently a 308, factory barrel, ~ 5000 rounds down the tube). Seems like a nice way to go since the 5-round factory mags allow a 3.005 COAL. Any reasons why I wouldn't want to do this? Would I want to throat it differently to take advantage of the longer COAL mags?

If it's going to be more of a hunting rifle I would probably throat it a bit longer. You should be able to go .05-.07 longer freebore and still have plenty of room. Those new berger 155s might be a fun bullet to play with. I have a Tikka T3 for hunting I think I'm going to turn into a long action to run the longer bullets.

something isn't adding up to me. this case looks almost exactly like a 6.5x284 (without the rebate), down to the neck length and shoulder. The H4350 load listed here with 140 class bullets is within .2gr of what I have used in the last 11 30" barrels and you guys are citing as much or more MV and 75-100% more barrel life out of barrels that are 4-8" shorter.

How is this possible?

Last edited:
I have a Tikka T3 lite in 6.5x47, would the bolt face work for a 6.5 addiction?

I am using my stock Tikka bolt and it has worked fine, it was a .260 CTR originally. I believe Tikka goes with the European .480 bolt face over the standard .474 for Rem 700.

Reactions: nrspence
something isn't adding up to me. this case looks almost exactly like a 6.5x284 (without the rebate), down to the neck length and shoulder. The H4350 load listed here with 140 class bullets is within .2gr of what I have used in the last 11 30" barrels and you guys are citing as much or more MV and 75-100% more barrel life out of barrels that are 4-8" shorter.

How is this possible?

I don't know what to tell you other than what I've seen. I haven't tried 4350 in the addiction so I can't vouch for those numbers but I'm 300+fps faster than I could get with the same powder out of my .260. Although it had a 2" shorter barrel. I have brass with 6 firings on it now and the primer pockets are still good to go.

Hello all, just started reading about the 6.5 Addiction. I'm looking for a 6.5 for my next build and was set on the SAUM, but now that I have found out about the Addiction I'm reconsidering. I am wanting a lightweight hunting rifle; 24in max barrel, 140gn bullets at 3000+ fps, BDL style bottom metal preferred (not interested in DBM unless it will allow 140gn bullets in a short action). Using the 140gn bullets, will a short action work or will it require a medium length action?

Hello all, just started reading about the 6.5 Addiction. I'm looking for a 6.5 for my next build and was set on the SAUM, but now that I have found out about the Addiction I'm reconsidering. I am wanting a lightweight hunting rifle; 24in max barrel, 140gn bullets at 3000+ fps, BDL style bottom metal preferred (not interested in DBM unless it will allow 140gn bullets in a short action). Using the 140gn bullets, will a short action work or will it require a medium length action?

You are better off with a medium action. It'll let you seat the bullets out farther and put more powder in the case. 3k+ is doubtful with a 24" barrel in the Shortaction footprint.

You are better off with a medium action. It'll let you seat the bullets out farther and put more powder in the case. 3k+ is doubtful with a 24" barrel in the Shortaction footprint.

You are saying 3000+ is a possibility with a medium action due to not stuffing the bullet down to make the box magazine length?

With a 24" barrel sure. In a S/A with a 26" barrel I saw about 3060fps, but thats toward the edge of pressure. I actually got it up to 3160....but way way past being safe there.

I have a Tikka CTR 20" factory barrel that I'm running right at 3000 with 130 Bergers. I think you'd have no problem getting that velocity with 140's in a 24". That being said I'm running RL 23/26 in my addictions which is good for a velocity bump. Also the bergers seem to get better velocity before hitting pressure than the 143Eld-x, bearing surface plays a pretty big role it that.

My 26" I'm getting 3180 with a 140 vld and they are easily shooting sub 3/4 MOA. This is on my Deviant/Frozen Fiber match barrel that I have over 1800 rounds on the majority being in matches. They also cryo their barrels so I don't know if that makes a difference. It has become finicky to tune at those velocities but for low volume hunting it's fine.

Poison123 What powder were you loading in your 26"?

Reactions: BallisticPrimate

If your not set on the Addiction you could look at the 6.5 Sherman Short. I have a 24" Tikka and am looking at about 3085(ish) with 59.5gr of H1000 and RDF 140's, not finished with load devel yet, and that is 1.5gr under max so you could get over 3200 if you want to run it that hard. During my max load test I hit 3265 with 61.0gr of RL26 and 3177 of H1000 but had a slightly sticky bolt on both. This barrel also only has about 30 rds on it so it might speed up down the road a bit. Does require a magnum bolt face, it is based on the SAUM case, but I am using Alpha mags and can fit 10rds with no issues during live or dry fire. You said you were set on the SAUM initially so figure this must not be a detractor.

Reactions: High Desert duck
Anyone want to sell me 5 dummy rounds to check bolt face clearance and magazine capacity/function before I jump in head first? Just about ready to go all in, but the Tikka M595 only has one magazine option and I want to ensure that it works as expected. Please PM me if you could spare a few dummy rounds.

I have a Tikka CTR 20" factory barrel that I'm running right at 3000 with 130 Bergers. I think you'd have no problem getting that velocity with 140's in a 24". That being said I'm running RL 23/26 in my addictions which is good for a velocity bump. Also the bergers seem to get better velocity before hitting pressure than the 143Eld-x, bearing surface plays a pretty big role it that.

Are you saying you rechambered your factory Tikka CTR barrel to 6.5 Addiction? Was it a 260 Rem or a 6.5 CM?

I was running H4831, I'm surprised you are getting 3180 with a 140 vld.....thats a hot load with any powder.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
You’ll have to read the whole thread. 3180 was with a 26” barrel on a Defiance and yes it is hot, but I was not blowing primers and pockets were still tight. Reloader 26/23 will give 50fps more with similar pressure to 4831 in my experience. Those speeds are strictly for a hunting load. I run my match loads 100-150fps slower.