• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Addiction (Swedemoor)

MTSLW

Trigger puller
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2013
Montana
Just had my .260 rebarreled in the 6.5 addiction and so far it's been an intriguing cartridge. I live out west so I was looking for a little more performance while trying to keep the cost down. So far this fits the bill!
I finally worked through fireforming a few hundred pieces of Lapua 6.5x55 brass so I loaded up a ladder with 140 rdf and RL26. The results were pretty wild. Started at a known load for this chamber with H4831 and went up 2 gr in .4 increments. Results (Lab radar) started at 3099 and got 3201 with the top charge! Had a heavy bolt lift but no ejector marks and when I punched primers they were still tight. 55 degrees out, defiance action and 26" Frozen Fiber (benchamark) barrel. I'll probably drop down in speed for better barrel and brass life but it was impressive to see those velocities! Hoping to get time this weekend to work on accuracy development!
I would imagine there are going to be a few guys playing with this cartridge. Hopefully we can get a good info sharing thread going for the Addiction as well as the 6.5 GWI/BJ-AI since they are similar.

Attachments

• photo50182.jpg
    photo50182.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 974
  • photo50183.jpg
    photo50183.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,218
  • photo50184.jpg
    photo50184.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,213
Last edited:
What kind of barrel life are you expecting out of this, and that is a serious long range weapon with the BC's of the Nosler and those speeds.

Looks suspiciously like the 6.5x55 Ackley Improved.
Nosler makes a good bullet, but they seriously over state their BC's, at one time they were advertising something along the lines of .735 G1 for their 129 accu-bond.
They have finally reduced that to a more believable .561.

What kind of barrel life are you expecting out of this, and that is a serious long range weapon with the BC's of the Nosler and those speeds.

Guys that are running 51.2gr of H4831 are getting ~3030 fps in a 26" tube and 2000-2600rnds of useful barrel life. I'm going to look for a node in the 3050-3100 range and hopefully get over 2k.

Looks suspiciously like the 6.5x55 Ackley Improved.
Nosler makes a good bullet, but they seriously over state their BC's, at one time they were advertising something along the lines of .735 G1 for their 129 accu-bond.
They have finally reduced that to a more believable .561.

What you say about the Nosler 129 Accu-Bond is true, but the BC's for the RDFs were independently verified by a number of shooters on this site prior to their release. There were at least two threads on the Scout site that discussed this ad nauseam.

Reactions: jareese
Looks suspiciously like the 6.5x55 Ackley Improved..

Sorta, close...

The 6.5 Addiction has a VERY short freebore (0.010" standard cylindrical throat IIRC) and it's setup like this for shooting 140's from a short action magazine.
It's a 30 degree shoulder I believe too, maybe 35 but I don't think it's a 40.

Fun catridge, does everything a 6.5-284 does without the more expensive brass or the rebated rim. 6.5x55 Lapua brass is very inexpensive; not like 6.5-284

Fdkay, it is similar to the Ackley. Slightly more taper and a 37* shoulder. It would be interesting to see if anyone is running a straight AI in a short action.
I did run my fireforming loads out to 1320yds last week and the BC on the RDFs was pretty close, hopefully they learned their lesson with the accubond deal.

Anyone running this cartridge in an AI-AT? Doe sit feed from the AW mags?

Reactions: daylate
It's has quite a bit more capacity, which allows for a slower burning powder. In my experience with the 260rem depending on how hard you run it you should be able to get 3k+ running 140s in the 2800s. Anecdotally the 6.5A is getting 2k @ 3000+ before velocity starts to bleed. Hard to compare, but from what I've seen the 6.5A is closer to the 6.5 Saum than the .260.

Attachments

• photo50231.jpg
    photo50231.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 780
Last edited:
Reactions: BallisticPrimate
My bud is the guy behind the 6.5 addiction.
From what I've gathered barrel life was 2500-3000k with a 140 hybrid at 3050ish.
Seems like an easy cartridge to find a load for.
COAL 2.945 which gives .020 jump.

R

Reactions: jareese and Bender
Im on my third barrel of my 6.5GWI

1700 rounds first barrel took off was doing funny stuff.
1900 second barrel got scared as vel dropped a little.

pic attached is edge of 6.5 creed - 260 - GWI - Addiction

I chose the GWI for 3 reasons, even though it is very similar to the addiction. As an old 6BR shooter, I love that little cartridge. The GWI was designed to "mimic" the 6BR. It has the same body taper as well as shoulder angle (30*) as the 6BR. it is smaller than the addiction obviously as the shoulder angle as well as body taper both limit capacity over the addic. I believe its within a grain of capacity but don't quote me. ha.

Reason 2 might be my favorite reason of the GWI - the natural body taper of the swede case acts as the "hold back" during fireforming. You don't have to have a false shoulder or load long. As a matter of fact this weekend in ID NRL match, I will be shooting the whole match fire forming swede brass as the PRS finale I lost 200 pieces of brass and don't have enough formed. super lame... Pic below is a 5 shot group at 410 yards at near dark that I wrapped up with Vertical right at 1". I had a problem seeing the red dot and the crosshair completely covered it. 2 groups below were at 5 at 100. Both under 1/2 and Im not a great group shooter.

My fireforming load above is a mild 46.5 of IMR 4350. pushing the 130 bergers at 2820.

my full power match load on my last 2 barrels was 48.9 gr imr 4350 with absolutely no pressure signs. Ive never worked up to pressure so I don't know how high I can go. 48.9 is good for 3090 fps. with this much powder there is still enough room to shake powder in case after loading (46.5 FF load has slight powder crush). I stopped at this pt as primarily it shot amazing, second is nearing the speed limit of 3150 of several matches I shoot, and I don't want to mess with pressure at all period.

This is shot out of a short action. OAL is 2.94 with 2 thou neck tension and BR2 primers. barrel is 24" long. I use, and you will have to use, Accurate Mags that don't have the plate in front of the bullet that the AICS mags have (for that long OAL). Also, since the case is larger dia, you will only be able to fit 9 in the single stack mag. SO I bought a +2 extender. I would STRONGLY recommend against the +4 as the spring is not strong enough and if even a little dirt gets in, it wont push the bullet up and youll hate life. In the PRS match at Las Vegas last year, I used one and it cost me a top 5 finish as I had 2 stages I almost got 0's on because rounds weren't feeding and I wasted a ton of time working bolt and click then repeat. dang it.

GL and have fun!

DT

Attachments

• photo50233.png
    photo50233.png
    228.4 KB · Views: 1,150
  • photo50246.jpg
    photo50246.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 837
Last edited:
Appreciate the input, and nice shooting! That is the one down side of the Swede, European brass has that bigger case rim.
The faster powders seem to burn a barrel out a little quicker, have you always ran 4350?
I agree with the fireforming load, super easy! No false shoulders or jamming, just load to mag length and go shoot! I tried loads with H4831 and RL26, 47grs gets 2850 out of my longer barrel. That's what my 260 was shooting with a good load out of a 24"

Subscribing to this thread. Ever since I stumbled upon the 6.5 addiction last summer, I've made up my mind this is my next chambering. Thanks for posting OP, impressive velocities, makes the saum less appealing.

You can if the AW's are modified.
They can be ran in Accurate mags.

R

What do you have to do to the double stack mags to get this cartridge to run? Anyone running it in a AI AX?

I just picked up an AW mag so I'll let you know how it works out. The OAL is good just need to make sure it feeds. You do have to remove the front plates on the AI mags to get enough length.
Lapua brass for $70 and 10grs less powder sold me on the 6.5A over the Saum.

Tagging in. This could be an interesting hunting cartridge. I wonder if it would still get decent velocity from a 24" barrel...

Tag. Going to be running this in my AT soon. Waiting on the reamer and I still need to order the sizing die blank

if the shoulder is blown forward at all from a regular 260, its not going to fit in an unmodded AW mag...will hit the follower guide rib

I literally just got my 6.5X47 barrel for my AX but if this cartridge would feed from an AX/AT mag I think I will need a new barrel ASAP.

Tagging in. This could be an interesting hunting cartridge. I wonder if it would still get decent velocity from a 24" barrel...

I think this will make a great hunting round! I plan on hunting elk this fall with mine.
D_TROS posted that he was getting up to 3150 with 130's out of a 24" 6.5 GWI, which has slightly less capacity than the 6.5A. You should be able to hit 3100 with 140's pretty easily.

Where the hell can you find dies other than a group buy through accuracy addiction? Dies are what holds me back from this over a good old Swede. That, and I'll be running it from a long action so I don't need the 0 freebore.

I bought mine off a guy that decided to go another direction, so it made my decision to make the jump easy. I think you could buy them straight from Whidden, just count on a wait time. An Ackley Swede might be the easier route for convience and cost. I plan on running this for a while so the up front cost wasn't as bad. I also have a Win 70 long action that I'm thinking about rechambering in the addiction with the idea that if I go to a longer freebore I could run factory 6.5 Swede ammo in a pinch if I needed hunting ammo. So many projects, so little time!

I cut a 6.5A barrel for a customer in Utah; I don't know where he is with it but I have not heard anything bad about it for his AT. If it didn't work or didn't shoot I am sure he would have given me a call to troubleshoot issues.

Anybody running lapua brass with the small rifle primer and getting more consistency than say Nosler or Hornady brass?

I'm not familiar with the 6.5 x 55 Lapua brass, but I don't see anywhere that it uses small rifle primers. Even on the Lapua site.

Has anyone tried H-1000 yet and what is the approximate coal for 140 grain and up projectiles ? for both the 6.5A & GWI .
Thanks !

Lash, I was referring to 6.5 creed..

Ah, that explains... I suspected that might be what you were asking about, but since the thread is about the 6.5 Addiction, which is based upon the 6.5 x 55 case, I wanted to make sure. I did look around to see if maybe Lapua was offering the 6.5 x 55 in small primer version first, as I'm always up for new information and knowledge.

My mistake. Didn't mean to high jack the thread either. I'll start a new discussion. Thanks.

I thought that Scott shot the "Swede'more", that was a Swede with a 30* shoulder like the CM?

Anyone running it in a AI AX?

6.5x55 has a slightly larger case head than 308 Win (and 30-06). Standard non-rebated 6.5x55 brass work with some 308 Win (and 30-06) bolt faces but not all. I tried to fit a 6.5x55 Norma case in an AI AX 308 (2011) bolt face but the case head was too large. So you might have to modify the bolt face if you want to use 6.5x55 brass in an AI AX 308.

6.5x55 has a slightly larger case head than 308 Win (and 30-06). Standard non-rebated 6.5x55 brass work with some 308 Win (and 30-06) bolt faces but not all. I tried to fit a 6.5x55 Norma case in an AI AX 308 (2011) bolt face but the case head was too large. So you might have to modify the bolt face if you want to use 6.5x55 brass in an AI AX 308.

Good point, you may have to have your bolt face opened up 8-10 thou to accommodate European brass, i.e. Lapua. Not a big deal and doesn't affect being able to go back to standard calibers.

Im on my third barrel of my 6.5GWI

1700 rounds first barrel took off was doing funny stuff.
1900 second barrel got scared as vel dropped a little.

pic attached is edge of 6.5 creed - 260 - GWI - Addiction

I chose the GWI for 3 reasons, even though it is very similar to the addiction. As an old 6BR shooter, I love that little cartridge. The GWI was designed to "mimic" the 6BR. It has the same body taper as well as shoulder angle (30*) as the 6BR. it is smaller than the addiction obviously as the shoulder angle as well as body taper both limit capacity over the addic. I believe its within a grain of capacity but don't quote me. ha.

Reason 2 might be my favorite reason of the GWI - the natural body taper of the swede case acts as the "hold back" during fireforming. You don't have to have a false shoulder or load long. As a matter of fact this weekend in ID NRL match, I will be shooting the whole match fire forming swede brass as the PRS finale I lost 200 pieces of brass and don't have enough formed. super lame... Pic below is a 5 shot group at 410 yards at near dark that I wrapped up with Vertical right at 1". I had a problem seeing the red dot and the crosshair completely covered it. 2 groups below were at 5 at 100. Both under 1/2 and Im not a great group shooter.

My fireforming load above is a mild 46.5 of IMR 4350. pushing the 130 bergers at 2820.

my full power match load on my last 2 barrels was 48.9 gr imr 4350 with absolutely no pressure signs. Ive never worked up to pressure so I don't know how high I can go. 48.9 is good for 3090 fps. with this much powder there is still enough room to shake powder in case after loading (46.5 FF load has slight powder crush). I stopped at this pt as primarily it shot amazing, second is nearing the speed limit of 3150 of several matches I shoot, and I don't want to mess with pressure at all period.

This is shot out of a short action. OAL is 2.94 with 2 thou neck tension and BR2 primers. barrel is 24" long. I use, and you will have to use, Accurate Mags that don't have the plate in front of the bullet that the AICS mags have (for that long OAL). Also, since the case is larger dia, you will only be able to fit 9 in the single stack mag. SO I bought a +2 extender. I would STRONGLY recommend against the +4 as the spring is not strong enough and if even a little dirt gets in, it wont push the bullet up and youll hate life. In the PRS match at Las Vegas last year, I used one and it cost me a top 5 finish as I had 2 stages I almost got 0's on because rounds weren't feeding and I wasted a ton of time working bolt and click then repeat. dang it.

GL and have fun!

DT

That was all new to me and seems pretty darn cool. Going to keep this in mind. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Wanted to bump this.

had a talk with accuracy addiction folks and they said there was a string of bad reamers and a whole bunch of gunsmiths were making bad chamberings or what not. They said for the 6.5A they're the only ones that can currently guarantee the proper work (this was as if 2 weeks ago when I spoke to them)

Anyone have issues with this?

First I've heard of it. I did get a reamer but since Kevin did the barrel I'm on now, I haven't used it yet. I'll have to give him a call and see what the deal is. Thanks for the heads up!

A heads up for anyone looking at the Addiction. There is a batch of bad go-gauges going around. If you have some, make sure you get them checked out before using them to chamber or set headspace. You can contact the guys at Accuracy Addiction if you have questions. Please spread the word.