• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6.5 CM: 24" vs. 26" vs ?

NiteQwill

Best to jump high, and far!
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2012
Uncle Sam's Bottom
Sorry if this topic has probably been beaten to death...

I currently have a build being done my Mark at Accurate Ordnance but have left the barrel length TBD.

Mark suggested going 25" if I'm undecided (seriously). Awesome guy to speak and work with, btw...

Some background info:
I live in a crappy state, so a can is out of the question unless I drive back to my real home (rarely). I plan on shooting 1k+ and a few LR competitions at the military base nearby. I do reload, so finding my pet load is not an issue either vs shooting Hornady match ammo.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

25" will work fine. Mine started at 28" and when the throat grew I had it set back and it's 26.5" now. Perfect length IMHO. Factory gets good velocity and when handloading you don't have to push it super hard to get good velocity.

I think it has to do with your preferences more than anything. As Rob01 stated, 25" should be fine. I run one 22" barreled 6.5CM, and two 24" 6.5CMs (one a gasser). Honestly, they (any reasonable length) will all get you out to a grand without too much trouble based on what I have seen and in my meager experience (I shoot nowhere near as much as some of the folks on this forum).

I recently had a 6.5CM built and I couldn't make up my mind with the 24 vs 26 barrel length. So I went with 25". I'm pushing 140gr Berger VLD's at 2870fps with no high pressure signs. I didn't want to go higher than 2900fps anyway (for the sake of barrel life), so that works out perfectly for me.

Went through the same thing a year ago. Love my 25" Hospitaller does not seem too long even with the truck axle of a barrel.

AO built my creedmoor and I went with 26" sendero contour. It has never felt to long or front heavy. I think it's perfect. It would be a good idea to just go 25" if you really can't decide.

I had an option of 24" and 26" when I purchased mine. I went with 24" and I'm more than happy. To be honest, I wouldn't want it any longer. That's based solely on personal presence, though.

I have a 24" 260 and am not handicapped by it at all. Hits at 1250yds were piece of cake, a creedmoor will do the same.

24-26" 260 Rem barrels works well on my 2rifles. Bergers 140 gr. VLDs get to 2760 fps without any issues and good BC, so less affected by wind than other rounds. 6.5 mm caliber is great at doing everything I need for my shooting.