• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor

Running a Nucleus action, 27" Benchmark 8 twist, 130 eld match, FGMM SRP primers, Starline SRP brass, and RL-16 (reloder-16). Did a velocity test yesterday and found that at 44.2 grains I have zero pressure. No stuck bolt lift, no case head markings, nothing. 3020 for, so I dropped it down half a grain.

Netted average:
43.5 grains RL-16
2960 fps
.80" group at 200 yards

Easy extraction, no pressure at all. Going out once more to play with seating depth.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
I am consistently shooting 2 shots touching and one flyer

Did you ever sort this out? I came here looking for this reason. 143ELD-Xs My nodes are different than yours but I'm shooting a 20"bbl. My lowest load SD of 5 is doing this consistently. I have a 5 shot group with 2 doubles and a flyer. I've deduced that while the SD is good they must be exiting the bbl at a bad time.

Did you ever sort this out? I came here looking for this reason. 143ELD-Xs My nodes are different than yours but I'm shooting a 20"bbl. My lowest load SD of 5 is doing this consistently. I have a 5 shot group with 2 doubles and a flyer. I've deduced that while the SD is good they must be exiting the bbl at a bad time.
I never figured out the exact cause and pretty much came to the same conclusion as you, they must just not be exiting the barrel at the right time. I wondered for a while if it could be just my shooting but after shooting .3 moa consistently at 500 yds with the factory 143 gr eld-x this past weekend I don’t think there’s any way I could mess up that bad at 100 yds. I haven’t had much time lately but my next step is experimenting with seating depth to try and get the bullet to exit the barrel at a better time and hopefully get rid of the flyers.

I know I have seen a post about this somewhere but cannot seem to find it. Has anyone figured out what type of powder Hornady uses in the 143 gr eld-x? I pulled one and measured the powder- exactly 41 gr. Looks identical to H4350 but at 41 gr of H4350 I shoot 2645 FPS. The factory 143’s I shoot 2579 FPS. Granted when I shot 41.0 gr I was at 2.875 OAL and the factory is at 2.810. I wouldn’t think that would cause a 66 FPS jump though but maybe I’m wrong.

Long story short, my Bergara HMR 22” shoots the factory 143’s at .25-.3 moa consistently. I’m trying to match the load or at least work up one on the same guidelines that will shoot just as good but can’t figure it out. Should I be worried about matching oal, velocity, powder type, primer, etc or some combination of these? My guess is oal and velocity but I’m curious to hear others input.

I know I have seen a post about this somewhere but cannot seem to find it. Has anyone figured out what type of powder Hornady uses in the 143 gr eld-x? I pulled one and measured the powder- exactly 41 gr. Looks identical to H4350 but at 41 gr of H4350 I shoot 2645 FPS. The factory 143’s I shoot 2579 FPS. Granted when I shot 41.0 gr I was at 2.875 OAL and the factory is at 2.810. I wouldn’t think that would cause a 66 FPS jump though but maybe I’m wrong.

Long story short, my Bergara HMR 22” shoots the factory 143’s at .25-.3 moa consistently. I’m trying to match the load or at least work up one on the same guidelines that will shoot just as good but can’t figure it out. Should I be worried about matching oal, velocity, powder type, primer, etc or some combination of these? My guess is oal and velocity but I’m curious to hear others input.
From what I hear, Hornady uses their own blend of powder. Ive heard it burns similar to H4350 but it is not the same. But, matching everything as closely as possible and then finding that right powder could be the trick. Also OAL is gonna depend, but you need to find the powder with a low SD and then fool with the length.

you need to find the powder with a low SD and then fool with the length.

When you guys test with length changes what increments do you usually load in for testing? AKA how much different in length can make a difference? .001 .005 .010 .015 .020 ???

chasing .001-.005 is OCD. I would work off of turns on the die. When testing I will do 1/8 turn of the die and load a couple. After finding the best size then you can get crazy chasing .001 for years or just find one and be happy. Work up to Mag length (2.7-2.825 is SAAMI).

Reactions: jrf
I've found that initially shooting .04 differences (or what Berger recommends) will show the direction preferred. Then, fine tune to the .01 or .02 depending on how accurate you can be or want to be with your chosen bullet - sorted or out of the box.

When you guys test with length changes what increments do you usually load in for testing? AKA how much different in length can make a difference? .001 .005 .010 .015 .020 ???
Start with .010" off of the lands and work back in increments of .010". SAAMI is just a guide as far as OAL, but lots of rifles have a super long distance to the lands and if you are shooting a round that does not like a lot of jump (140 ELDM for example), then you will have to load longer. For example, my rifle likes my 140 ELD-M and 143 ELD-x loads at 2.885 or 2.895. Anything lower and the groups open up. But, with Berger 130 VLD's, I can get away with 2.850 because they like some jump.

23" Criterion 1-8 barrel
Hornady 140eld-m
Alpha Munitions LRP 6.5 Creedmoor brass
41gr RL16
CCI 200 primer
COL 2.815"

Averaging 2748fps in below freezing temperatures.

Alpha brass has significantly less capacity than Hornady. I went up to 42.2gr and got over 2800fps, but worried about pressure signs in the summertime 90's temps. OT was also starting to crunch powder at 40.5gr.

Overall I'm very happy with the brass. SD's dropped to under 10 immediately, and accuracy went up. Hoping to get way more reloads as well.
Did you do your load work up with new brass? What was your experience from new brass to the fire formed brass, did you have to adjust charge weight or seating? Looking into running a very similar combination except I’ll probably use h4350

Did you do your load work up with new brass? What was your experience from new brass to the fire formed brass, did you have to adjust charge weight or seating? Looking into running a very similar combination except I’ll probably use h4350
I’m on my 4th firing of Alpha LRP 6.5CM brass. Running 41.5gr H4350 2835fps avg, Bartlein 26”. Primer pockets feel good still.

Reactions: Jackomason and DMP

I did my load development on new brass. I didn't change my load from new to fired, it shoots the same out to 1020yds.

Reactions: Marksman_92
Did you have to change your charge weight from the new to 1x fired brass?
Unfortunately I can’t answer that question with hard data. I went back and looked at my records and on its first firing I used a slow lot of H4350. Second firing I switched to a new lot that was faster so I did have to change the load 1gr lower. Some of that probably had to do with the slow lot and some probably had to do with the brass being fire formed.

Reactions: Marksman_92
I've found the 140 and 147 ELD M to be very jump tolerant in more than a few rifles. It's all about seat depth testing. Mag length is the limit for many of us. But, shorter sometimes gives better results.

I'm pretty new to this but been working on a hunting load for my Savage 110 Desert Tactical in 6.5 Creed. Found a happy spot yesterday so thought I would share. Maybe it's of some help to someone else. Both of these are 3 shot groups with the same charge at 100 yards (0.5" grid target).

These are seated at .020 off.
140g Berger Hunter Elite / BR4 Primers / 39.8g H4350
Using Redding Type S (full length) competition die set with .289 bushing

1549836058629.png

Reactions: SLAYIN'SWEDE
I'm pretty new to this but been working on a hunting load for my Savage 110 Desert Tactical in 6.5 Creed. Found a happy spot yesterday so thought I would share. Maybe it's of some help to someone else. Both of these are 3 shot groups with the same charge at 100 yards (0.5" grid target).

These are seated at .020 off.
140g Berger Hunter Elite / BR4 Primers / 39.8g H4350
Using Redding Type S (full length) competition die set with .289 bushing

View attachment 7022122
What is your barrel length and what kind of velocities are you getting from that 39.8 of H4350?

Ran a new ladder with 147
40.4g-4350, Lapua SRP,
CCI450. from my 23.5" Muellerworks.
got me 2713 ave ES 17, SD 8.
after 13 rounds the barrel warmed up I had an ES of 5 and SD or 2.3

IMG_20190202_144307.jpg

Ended up settling on this

Lapua Brass
CCI-450 Primers
41.6gr R16
147gr ELDM .030 off Riflings

Only getting about 2675 fps from my Tikka 24" barrel, could be a tad higher maybe but I am happy with the groups I am getting. I have repeated multiple groups like the one above with this load.

had a question I'm new to reloading 6.5 creedmoor. I'm using new Hornady brass, 140 grain eld-m bullets, H-4350, cci riffle primers. I'm using Hornady custom bushing dies with the correct bushing so I get 2 thou. neck tension. shooting it out of a howa 1500. I started my load development at 40 grains and went up to 42 grains checking for pressure when I got to 42 grains I pierced a primmer. the other primers before that were flattened a little but nothing to stop me from continuing. even at 41.5 grains I'm still flattening primers and a hint of ejector swipe. I measured my chamber just to make sure I'm not jamming into the lands I'm not the chamber in the howa is really long!! I tried to load 30 thou. off the lands and it wouldn't even come close to fitting in the mag. I read all the time of people loading in access of 43 grains? what would be the reason I'm seeing pressure at 41.5 shooting at 1,000 elevation 65 degrees 40% humidity. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: DMP
had a question I'm new to reloading 6.5 creedmoor. I'm using new Hornady brass, 140 grain eld-m bullets, H-4350, cci riffle primers. I'm using Hornady custom bushing dies with the correct bushing so I get 2 thou. neck tension. shooting it out of a howa 1500. I started my load development at 40 grains and went up to 42 grains checking for pressure when I got to 42 grains I pierced a primmer. the other primers before that were flattened a little but nothing to stop me from continuing. even at 41.5 grains I'm still flattening primers and a hint of ejector swipe. I measured my chamber just to make sure I'm not jamming into the lands I'm not the chamber in the howa is really long!! I tried to load 30 thou. off the lands and it wouldn't even come close to fitting in the mag. I read all the time of people loading in access of 43 grains? what would be the reason I'm seeing pressure at 41.5 shooting at 1,000 elevation 65 degrees 40% humidity. Thank you in advance.
You check your chamber is clean AND dry. This has been known to cause high pressure.

You have a hotter lot of powder. From a base line, lot to lot burn rate can be plus or minus 5%. What is your speed with 41.5grs?

Reactions: todd
I’m REALLY pleased with Reloder 16. It’s giving me the speed I want without any signs of pressure compared to H4350.

I know it’s 3 rounds but it’s consistent. I need to stretch its legs this weekend to see.

24” Bartlein
42.0gn Reloder 16 (Chargemaster Lite)
Virgin Hornady brass
210 primers
CBTO 2.19”
Hornady 140gn ELD-M

10 round avg 2831 FPS. The ES/SD numbers are high but I’m not doing anything special with the prepping and loading. I’ll work on that later with better brass etc.
F72CBECC-6413-4D4D-9265-FAC7C567CF42.jpeg

Last edited:
Your story sounds a lot like mine.Im also loading for a howa 1500...but using RL 16 and virgin starline SRP brass and CCI 450 SRP. Everything else is just like you. I also experienced flattened primers sooner then I expected. Did a ladder test from 41.4 up to 42.9 and they all showed some degree of primer flattening/cratering and some slight ejector swipe but never a pierced one. I did chronograph them and I was getting the same velocities several others guys on here were getting with same brass-powder-projectile-barrel length combo. 42 grains got me 2744 fps. So I loaded up 50 more at 42 and am shooting them and am getting primer cratering but velocity is consistant at 2744 ..groups are great. I guess im wondering if I should back down the powder charge or not? One thought I have is when I reload this brass i'll have slightly more case capacity then I do now with the virgin and maybe pressure signs will drop?

Has anyone noticed a pattern of where the upper and lower nodes tend to be with the Creedmoors? Found my lower node at about 2580 FPS and wondering if there’s an area where I should start looking to find the upper node without wasting a bunch of time and bullets. 22” Bergara HMR. And yes I do realize they vary rifle to rifle. Just curious if a certain velocity tends to work well for a lot of people.

As a general rule, yes. Most will exhibit a low, mid and high node. My low nodes have been as low as 2500 and my highest node was a bit over 2900. I had no pressure signs with that 2900 but knew that it had to be too hot and with that particular rifle, just settled on the mid node which was around 2715.

After a lot of experimenting, I've quit chasing loads if I can find a solid node at 27-2800 fps with a 140 or 147. I've also limited my bullet selection to the 140 or 147 to reduce that variable. I feel that the 140-147 gives about the best balance from the 6.5 CM. I burned about 25% of barrel life on a barrel looking for a consistent velocity and one hole accuracy; when I should have settled on the mid node that gave very consistent half moa with a couple of different bullets.

Most good barrels will have a sweet spot that is mid velocity 2700ish and consistent around half moa. Some barrels are known to be slower. If you are lucky, accuracy will be better. But, I know plenty of guys that have toasted barrels tweaking and fiddling to find that "one hole" accuracy (wasting a lot of time and bullets) and sometimes it just wasn't there. Many times it can be found but if you are even 1/4 into your barrel life you have to wonder if it's worth it. I've been lucky with several very awesome shooters but I kinda learned my lesson with that one barrel. Oh well, when it is burned out I'll be replacing it and hope I get a little better one next time around.

Some of my shooting buddies have no problem using all of their barrel life in the pursuit of that one hole accuracy. Me, I'd rather find a decent load and work on the other things which simply involve shooting skill. I know this probably strayed a bit off topic for you but I've spent enough time discussing nodes, load development and reloading techniques with other shooters that I've come to believe this as something shooters should think about. I won't even mention my start in BR shooting that led me here. All IMHO.

Last edited:
I learned that I start destroying brass and getting inconsistency if I try to push for 2700+ fps.
Now I'm just happy with a very consistent 2500 fps (4-6 fps S-D) and have resigned to having a 1000-1200y rifle instead of a 1400y one.

Too many people get caught up in speed and look for that really fast load. Lot of people don’t think the 6.5 CM will shoot good if it’s under a certain speed and it’s all horse shit. Your node is your node. If I do a load workup and my speed is 2740 and the ES and SD is very low then that is where I stop. Sure 2850 may get you a few more tenths at 1000y but may also put more preasure on brass, effect barrel life and all that.

That being said, if you’re running at least a 22” barrel you should be able to find a good load of at least 2650fps+ in my opinion.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed a pattern of where the upper and lower nodes tend to be with the Creedmoors? Found my lower node at about 2580 FPS and wondering if there’s an area where I should start looking to find the upper node without wasting a bunch of time and bullets. 22” Bergara HMR. And yes I do realize they vary rifle to rifle. Just curious if a certain velocity tends to work well for a lot of people.
My node is 41.6 H4350. I would load up some ammo and find your max pressure or where you start to see pressure. Then work down from there. They tend to be close to first pressure sigh. But it’s always good to see where your rifle starts to show pressure.

My node is 41.6 H4350. I would load up some ammo and find your max pressure or where you start to see pressure. Then work down from there. They tend to be close to first pressure sigh. But it’s always good to see where your rifle starts to show pressure.

I had a node at 41.8g H4350 for 147g (and 143g) Hdy ELD-M/X but my brass had ejector marks, 4-5 loads and primers would start falling out etc... That got me 2650fps. Now happy with no signs of pressure at 2500 fps and think I'll stay there for awhile.

I had a node at 41.8g H4350 for 147g (and 143g) Hdy ELD-M/X but my brass had ejector marks, 4-5 loads and primers would start falling out etc... That got me 2650fps. Now happy with no signs of pressure at 2500 fps and think I'll stay there for awhile.
nice. the way I look at it is I don't need to push so hard I'm wearing out my barrel and brass faster just so I get higher velocities. if I'm getting good velocities and low SD-ES I'm happy. I'm shooting 2,000 yards

nice. the way I look at it is I don't need to push so hard I'm wearing out my barrel and brass faster just so I get higher velocities. if I'm getting good velocities and low SD-ES I'm happy. I'm shooting 2,000 yards
I'm curious how you have your scope setup, my load is a good bit faster then yours and with my 20MOA scope mount I'd still have to dial up 120.88 MOA.

Looking at tools for a digital dope book. Trying out new Ballistic-X app and best group on 6.5cm so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: gnatmm
I am looking at taking the barrel on my howa 1500 back to around the 16.5-17.5'. Planning on running suppressed and dont want all the extra length hanging so far forward. Just getting started in reloading and currious if the 4350 powder will still be adequate for the shorter barrel. Or is there something else I should be looking at?

PURPOSE: Duplicate a factory load velocity for the Hornady 147g ELD Match Bullet with tighter SD/ES. Per magnetospeed it was traveling at only 2600, SD 16, ES 35.
15531174591041567546610829040181.jpg

Brass: Prime 6.5 Creedmoor
Primer: Federal GM210M (Large Rifle Match)
Bullet: Hornady 147g ELD Match
COAL: 2.825 (.025" off the lands)
Neck Tension: .003"
Dies: Lee Precision FL sizing die, Collet Neck sizing die, Dead Length seating die.

Process: deprime (Lee Classic Turret Press), tumble, clean, full length size (Lee Classic Turret Press), trim, anneal (salt bath), avoid burning fingers, drop in water, tumble dry, clean, neck size, final prep (chamfer, etc), prime on press (Lee Classic Cast Press), charge with powder, seat bullet (Lee Classic Cast Press)

Rifle: Ruger Precision Rifle
Barrel: Proof Research stainless, M24 Profile, 24", 1:8 twist. Headspace set to SAAMI Minimum +.003" per Proof Research recommendation.
Brake: APA Little Bastard - Jam nut style.

Location: Burro Canyon, Azusa, CA (1 hour drive from my residence thanks to traffic on the westbound 210 freeway!)
Position: Bench with bipod and rear bag.
Time: 1404 hours (2:04 PM)
Conditions via Kestrel: Temp: 65f, Baro: 27.94 inHg, Humidity: 23%, Density Altitude: 2750
WIND: from 10-11 o'clock, 1/2-3/4 value, variable 5-15 MPH (enough to make my target flop around a bit, made it spicy!)
Distance: 101.3 yards via laser rangefinder.
Chronograph: Magnetospeed Sporter

Load #1:

Powder:

Reloder 17: 40.5 grains
Velocity: 2682
SD: 3
ES: 6

Group size: .292" Center to center:
IMG_20190314_2014573.jpg

Load #2:

Powder H4350 41.4 grains

Velocity: 2701
SD: 5
ES: 13
5 shots

Forgot picture, sorry. It was similar sized hole, no larger than .4" Center to center probably thanks to the wind moving my target around. ???

Outcome: SUCCESS!! ? This is the best load development result series I have ever done since I started reloading about a decade ago!! I am so relieved I can now just load a bunch of either one of these loads and let it rip!

Last edited:
Would anyone have any recommendations for min starting load for an ocw test. I have been looking for any references and have come up unsuccessful. I was thinking of starting at 39 grains and working up in increments of .4.

I will be using:
130 eld-m
Cci 450 primers
Rl16
Starline srp

Reactions: Codiekfx400
I would first find your rifles max pressure then work down from there you will find like many other people you will find a node on the upper end. you might find one around 41.5 but might not be getting the velocities your looking for or find a better node higher up. Load with caution your max in early spring will be beyond max in the hot summer depending on where your at.
. Just a thought

PURPOSE: Duplicate a factory load velocity for the Hornady 147g ELD Match Bullet with tighter SD/ES. Per magnetospeed it was traveling at only 2600, SD 16, ES 35.
View attachment 7046396

Brass: Prime 6.5 Creedmoor
Primer: Federal GM210M (Large Rifle Match)
Bullet: Hornady 147g ELD Match
COAL: 2.825 (.025" off the lands)
Neck Tension: .003"
Dies: Lee Precision FL sizing die, Collet Neck sizing die, Dead Length seating die.

Process: deprime (Lee Classic Turret Press), tumble, clean, full length size (Lee Classic Turret Press), trim, anneal (salt bath), avoid burning fingers, drop in water, tumble dry, clean, neck size, final prep (chamfer, etc), prime on press (Lee Classic Cast Press), charge with powder, seat bullet (Lee Classic Cast Press)

Rifle: Ruger Precision Rifle
Barrel: Proof Research stainless, M24 Profile, 24", 1:8 twist. Headspace set to SAAMI Minimum +.003" per Proof Research recommendation.
Brake: APA Little Bastard - Jam nut style.

Location: Burro Canyon, Azusa, CA (1 hour drive from my residence thanks to traffic on the westbound 210 freeway!)
Position: Bench with bipod and rear bag.
Time: 1404 hours (2:04 PM)
Conditions via Kestrel: Temp: 65f, Baro: 27.94 inHg, Humidity: 23%, Density Altitude: 2750
WIND: from 10-11 o'clock, 1/2-3/4 value, variable 5-15 MPH (enough to make my target flop around a bit, made it spicy!)
Distance: 101.3 yards via laser rangefinder.
Chronograph: Magnetospeed Sporter

Load #1:

Powder:

Reloder 17: 40.5 grains
Velocity: 2682
SD: 3
ES: 6

Group size: .292" Center to center:
View attachment 7046392

Load #2:

Powder H4350 41.4 grains

Velocity: 2701
SD: 5
ES: 13
5 shots

Forgot picture, sorry. It was similar sized hole, no larger than .4" Center to center probably thanks to the wind moving my target around. ???

Outcome: SUCCESS!! ? This is the best load development result series I have ever done since I started reloading about a decade ago!! I am so relieved I can now just load a bunch of either one of these loads and let it rip!
Nice man. I’m out in Palmdale. I’ve never shot at burros

Reactions: clcustom1911
I would first find your rifles max pressure then work down from there you will find like many other people you will find a node on the upper end. you might find one around 41.5 but might not be getting the velocities your looking for or find a better node higher up. Load with caution your max in early spring will be beyond max in the hot summer depending on where your at.
. Just a thought
I thank you for your reply. I am being overly cautious as i dont see alot of publication on my components so just trying to find a starting point or a max and go from there. Thats a great point i did not think temp change. I am in colorado and weather change is coming.