• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Creedmoor

I don't have the same experience with any factory loaded ammo. I'm reading hornady 143 are loaded any from 41.5 to about 42.5g
A quick look at your fired primers would tell you if your primers are flowing into the firing pin hole. If the lip of the firing pin crater in the primer is sharp and raised you probably have an issue.

I only run 140 gr bullets but 41.7 - 41.9 seemed like a good load for me in Starline brass. I've had it up to 42.4 but it wasn't better for me.

A quick look at your fired primers would tell you if your primers are flowing into the firing pin hole. If the lip of the firing pin crater in the primer is sharp and raised you probably have an issue.

I only run 140 gr bullets but 41.7 - 41.9 seemed like a good load for me in Starline brass. I've had it up to 42.4 but it wasn't better for me.
That's a load I see all the time with 140 and the 143

Only thing different I've been doing is a primer. Guess I'll back off a little bit and see

new here. i have some questions i hope i can get help with. shooting the hornady 143's have been loading for years with relativly no issues. havent for a bit with LR primers being hard to come by. i got ahold of some rem9.5 LRM mag primers and was working up a load and im getting pressure sings at 40.5g of H4350 cratered primer dimples and heavy bolt lift. using starline brass and over all lengh of 2.8in
Jackson,
The last couple of years I have been running 2 different 6.5 CM bolt guns with starline brass, CCI or any large rifle primer, hornady 140 GR BTHP and H4350 and both rifles will start hitting pressure at during the summer 40.5. It’s not horrible where I am to concerned, but it is where my rifle is telling me it’s time to back off. I have backed off a few grains and that combo still prints some good groups. If I remember correctly at 40.5 I am 2730ish and like 2710 at 40.3. If I load the some combo but in hornady brass I do not hit pressure so soon. There is definitely a difference between the 2 manufacturers.

I also found that if I loaded the Starilne more than 3 times with out annealing the brass the bolt seemed to get stiff on me like it was over pressure. Get the correct primers, check for the carbon ring, back it back down to 40.0 for a 5 shot group and work back up. You should be good to go.

Interesting....never had this issue before...and my last shoot couple weeks ago was in the mid 60's

I shot way up at 42g with the 143. And Hodgson list 41.8 as max with the 143 at 2700.

Reactions: Bbracken667
Anyone here tried both StaBall and Superformance? Would be interested to hear your experiences especially if using heavier pills/longer barrel. Thanks

Anyone here tried both StaBall and Superformance? Would be interested to hear your experiences especially if using heavier pills/longer barrel. Thanks
Superformance has been my go to powder for the 6.5. Used it in both the MPA with 130’s and the RPR with 143 Hornady’s and 144 Berger Hybrids. Velocity was better than any other powder, in both cases, without having to push the round. SD‘s for the most part were single digit. Accuracy was better in both rifles than I can get with my two 6’s that I currently shoot and the best part, the 143 load matched the factory 143 load almost to the foot per second.

Using 130 Sierra MatchKing, and Berger 130 VLD’s, each with a different powder charge found them both hitting at the same point of aim. Same thing with the 143 Hornady and 144 Berger. It was so easy to work with this powder and the 6.5 Creedmoor. We are rebuilding a 6.5 and I am going right back to Superformance.

I never tried StaBall but I tested h4350 and found that the accuracy, SD’s and velocity were not up to the level of the rounds using Superformance. Years ago, not long after purchasing the RPR I tried every powder I had on hand, and frankly, the accuracy was there but the velocity was not. Superformance solved a lot of problems, checked all the boxes and at least in our neck of the woods, where we simply don’t have extreme weather, it never seemed to be a problme.

The only book that lists Superformance with 130’s is Lyman. Just about every reloading manual written in the past five years includes Superformance loads for the 143 and 144. All my loads were within loading manual recommendations.

I had good luck with superformance in 6,5 and 6. Especially with the heavier bullets. I don’t hot rod, and I didn’t see SDs quite as small as Willik but accuracy is usually very good and temp variations weren’t as bad as can be hyped up for ball powder. I haven’t been particularly impressed with staball either in speed or accuracy, but it is fairly consistent in different temps.

I had good luck with superformance in 6,5 and 6. Especially with the heavier bullets. I don’t hot rod, and I didn’t see SDs quite as small as Willik but accuracy is usually very good and temp variations weren’t as bad as can be hyped up for ball powder. I haven’t been particularly impressed with staball either in speed or accuracy, but it is fairly consistent in different temps.
Great thanks guys. I've run the same StaBall load now for 3+ years, but am going to take a rip on a 7.5t 28" and see how some heavies perform. Several of us had quite a time stabilizing heavier with 8t at sea level.

I saw on some load data sheets where Superformance was about 50fps over StaBall which could be a nice aspect to explore with a couple of bullets I'm considering. I'm pleased as punch with StaBall, but if I can keep SD/ES in check with a bit more speed I may look into it.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
Reactions: 357Max
I hope to be up and running before X Mas and IF weather cooperates ,will be using a Variety of Powders including Staball ,VV H, IMR with 123 ,130 , 140 & 143 weights.
I'll Post up as I complete the ladders . My Hands are recovering nicely from Chemical Chemo peel and once again able to function almost normally ;)

Howdy friends and neighbors from the Great State of Tennessee.

I’m getting one of my Tikka T3x 6.5 CMs chopped to 16.5” to run my Banish Backcountry suppressor. This will be a tree stand/box blind deer rifle 0-350 yards.

I’ve always ran 140-143 ELDM/ELDX with 41.5 grains H4350 for my hunting loads. I picked up a couple boxes of 123 grain SSTs.

I’ve got some Varget, H4350 and Superformance on hand. What’s a good powder for 123 grain class projectiles? My Hornady reloading manual shows data for all three with Super having the most velocity. Temps here in Tennessee during deer season are 20-60 degrees.

• Love

I’m getting one of my Tikka T3x 6.5 CMs chopped to 16.5” to run my Banish Backcountry suppressor. This will be a tree stand/box blind deer rifle 0-350 yards.

I’ve always ran 140-143 ELDM/ELDX with 41.5 grains H4350 for my hunting loads. I picked up a couple boxes of 123 grain SSTs.

I’ve got some Varget, H4350 and Superformance on hand. What’s a good powder for 123 grain class projectiles? My Hornady reloading manual shows data for all three with Super having the most velocity. Temps here in Tennessee during deer season are 20-60 degrees.
I would start with the Varget but any of those powders should work.

Reactions: General RE LEE

IF I had a short barrel ,I'd opt for faster powder N530 or either of the 4895 powders ,so as to retain as much velocity as possible . IMO

Anyone tried the 142 SMK's ? NOT on animals but paper punching / steel banging ?

Yup. Had a box to try, and they shot really well with superformance, but when that box ran dry I couldn't find any more so moved to something else. I would have kept running them if I could have found them.

Anyone tried the 142 SMK's
I did zero load development & just picked 15k jump over 39.9 H4350... 2797fps in 90deg F out of 28" w/ SAAMI .199fb, sub-half MOA 5 shot groups @ 100

unfortunately I'm >2k neck tension w/ Lapua, need 0.291 & 0.292 neck bushings

560yds <15 seconds, plate is 7" wide

Attachments

• IMG_4695.jpeg
    IMG_4695.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Haven't been keeping up with thread, so I apologize if this is redundant. Messing with a 153 A-Tip for PRS/match use. Slow, large bullet. Similar idea to slow 6mm, but with hopefully larger splash and such.

This is from a brand new factory AT-X rifle.

153gr A-Tip (seated about .010 off touch)
Alpha 6.5cm SRP virgin
42gr N160
CCI 450

I'd like to get this up to around 2650fps once barrel speeds up.

The chrono is the first 10rnds out of the barrel. The first 5 shots were the typical 1-3 shots moving around a bit, followed by the other 2-3 shots settling into one hole.

Then adjusted zero and fired the second 5 rounds.

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpeg
    IMG_2827.jpeg
    669.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2828.jpeg
    IMG_2828.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2849.jpeg
    IMG_2849.jpeg
    570.3 KB · Views: 69
I'd like to get this up to around 2650fps once barrel speeds up.
I just started working on the 153.5s, although I’m unfamiliar w/ N160

39.24 H4350 got me to 2650 @ 60deg F, same 28” bbl above, also same issue w/ neck tension mentioned above

80k jump, going to tweak it for accuracy

(ignore the MOA, this was 100yds w/ MS bayonet attached)

Edit - oops, you said A-Tips. These were 153.5 LRHTs. Time for bed

Attachments

• IMG_4696.jpeg
    IMG_4696.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4685.jpeg
    IMG_4685.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 30
I just started working on the 153.5s, although I’m unfamiliar w/ N160

39.24 H4350 got me to 2650 @ 60deg F, same 28” bbl above, also same issue w/ neck tension mentioned above

80k jump, going to tweak it for accuracy

(ignore the MOA, this was 100yds w/ MS bayonet attached)

Edit - oops, you said A-Tips. These were 153.5 LRHTs. Time for bed
Similar to my rifle, it's a 28", shooting 153.5 at 2640 with 38.8gr H4350

Last edited:
Reactions: R_A_W
Similar to my rifle, it's a 28", shooting 153.5 at 2840 with 38.8gr H4350
I suppose the question, then, is: how is one rifle getting +200 fps with less powder? Is this COL difference?
2850 with a 140 gr bullet is pretty good and takes 43-44 grains so I have to ask the question: how are ye doing it?

Reactions: moonstalanda
dayum that's a fast barrel... what blank? Mine's a Benchmark, conventional rifling, only 500rds on it.

I'm burning through an old lot of H4350 & I'm using 205M & 205MAR
It's a 28" 7.5tw hawkhill. It was running 2620ish but after last match it had 370 rounds in it and was up to 2640. Sorry I mistyped.

I ran some #'s this afternoon Mine are a little different . 22.5" SS Ballistics barrel , IMR4350 40.2 gr. running 140 gr. Match monster they're hovering right around 2680 give or take 5-10 Fps. That's at 27 Deg. F. no apparent wind ,12 ft. measures from muzzle . With 42.0 gr. of IMR 4831 #'s are almost identical . StaBall 6.5 at 43.8 gr. is pushing 2786-92 . ALL w/Fed M210 . I consider that's about correct given barrel length and charges .
StaBall would produce faster Fps given ball powder load density .

Hello. I think this fits in this thread so please let me know if it doesn’t. A bit new here and to long range/reloading but could use some experienced advice. Worked up a 6.5cm load and shot velocity tests and groups at 100yds.

Load - 144 Berger lrht
H4350
Lapua srp
Fgmm primer
Fl sized. 289 bushing trimmed to 1.911

One node was 40.2. - 40.4 the groups were good (for me) and 0.4 moa when I did my part. Best ES was 17 and sd 6.4

Next node was 41.2 - 41.4. The groups were not as good around 0.6 moa but the es was 7 and the sd 2.6.

Is it worth the accuracy gain but be 10 fps greater on the velocity spread?

The hotter load only gains 50 fps (2660) and will be used past 1000 on steel. Hopefully to one mile next summer.

I’m a 0.5 moa shooter on a good day so please tell me if I’m just plain overthinking it too! Curious if anyone had made such a choice and if there were any lessons learned. I don’t want to use up any more of these bergers on load development!

Re: **6.5 Creedmoor Loads**

Anybody straying from the factory loads and shooting Bergers?
I posted my testing testing with the 144's a while back. My go-to load Lapua SRP brass, CCI 450, 41.8 H4350, MV2775. Across a 20 shot string gave me an SD of 1.68.

Reactions: Conrad
289 bushing
That .289 bushing on Lapua brass is probably giving you more neck tension than you need. A .290 bushing on Lapua (0.015 neck) gives me 0.003 neck tension. Reducing your neck tension to ~0.001 or 0.002 might improve your SDs, although SD of 6fps isn't bad

Across a 20 shot string gave me an SD of 1.68.
That's really impressive, not able to find your post in this thread though

Hello. I think this fits in this thread so please let me know if it doesn’t. A bit new here and to long range/reloading but could use some experienced advice. Worked up a 6.5cm load and shot velocity tests and groups at 100yds.

Load - 144 Berger lrht
H4350
Lapua srp
Fgmm primer
Fl sized. 289 bushing trimmed to 1.911

One node was 40.2. - 40.4 the groups were good (for me) and 0.4 moa when I did my part. Best ES was 17 and sd 6.4

Next node was 41.2 - 41.4. The groups were not as good around 0.6 moa but the es was 7 and the sd 2.6.

Is it worth the accuracy gain but be 10 fps greater on the velocity spread?

The hotter load only gains 50 fps (2660) and will be used past 1000 on steel. Hopefully to one mile next summer.

I’m a 0.5 moa shooter on a good day so please tell me if I’m just plain overthinking it too! Curious if anyone had made such a choice and if there were any lessons learned. I don’t want to use up any more of these bergers on load development!
try that higher node again, but try different seating depths.

Hi Guys,

has anyone tried something like 123 Grain SMK or Lapua ?
Got a new 6.5 Creed last Week, Bergara Premier with a 26" Barrel.

Already got 500 Nosler RDF, but i want to use them only for Long Range.
The Indoor Range near me is 100m (~110 Yards) and a 300m (~330 Yards) is available, too
For those ranges, i´d like to try more affordable bullets, somewhere between 123 and 140 Grain.
Hornady 140 BHTP isn´t that cheap as it use to be (I´m located in Europe), that´s why i am looking for something different.

Hi Guys,

The Indoor Range near me is 100m (~110 Yards) and a 300m (~330 Yards) is available, too
For those ranges, i´d like to try more affordable bullets, somewhere between 123 and 140 Grain.
Hornady 140 BHTP isn´t that cheap as it use to be (I´m located in Europe), that´s why i am looking for something different.
You might consider “seconds” which are offered at several online supply companies like Midway and Powder Valley. I have got those before and they seemed virtually perfect and shot great. Not sure what qualifies them as seconds but… there they are. They make a great low price option for plinking and short range target. Haven’t tried them out past 200 but no problems out to 200 yds.

Importing Bullets wouldn´t save me money.
On Top of Bullet Price + Shipping, i have to pay 19% Tax and 1-3% Customs
That´s close or more to what shops here are asking for.

I´m looking for recommendations on what to use and your experience.
Prices are comparable, some are cheaper, others are more expensive, so i would say, on average i can get bullets for what Midway is asking for, no Factory Seconds available here.

Prices are comparable, some are cheaper, others are more expensive, so i would say, on average i can get bullets for what Midway is asking for, no Factory Seconds available here.
I gave you the benefit of my experience without being aware you live outside the US. My apologies for my ignorance.

Hi Guys,

I’ve had good results with 123gr Scenars pushed to a bit over 2900fps with Varget.

John

The 123 Grain Scenars are already on my list of Bullets i wanna try.
Varget isn´t available anymore in Europe, due to some stupid regulations.

VV lists the 123 Grain with N150, which i have right now.

I've found Varg and N150 to be near interchange in 6gt and 22gt.

Reactions: Lawyer

Stupid regulations , agreed , you can't get Varget and we can't get Norma powders , always have a plan "B" and a plan "C"

Reactions: Lawyer

So what you're saying is bullets in your neck of the woods cost coin of the realm ?. Also you're not punching targets over 300 m ,correct ?.

123 gr. 129 gr. 130 gr. will be more than adequate for those distances . More info required ,as to cases and powders along with bullets available too You .

I shoot a variety of powders along with bullet weights ; Generally 165 yd. aka 150.876 m out too 1076.248 m aka 1177 yd. .

MY target stations are at odd intervals because of terrain undulation ,so sheds are put on high points . So 165 yd. 278 yd. 340 yd. 635 yd. have target sheds , paper recordings . Longer distances have Steel Disc of various diameters .

Stupid regulations , agreed , you can't get Varget and we can't get Norma powders , always have a plan "B" and a plan "C"
Yeah, stupid regulations, but there is stil enough Powder available. Varget, H4350 and those popular Powders are gone for us.
Most of the Aliant Range is still available, some Hodgdon and IMR Powders, too. Brands like VV, Lovex, Ramshot, Norma, Reload Swiss, Winchester, Rottweil, Vectan and B&P are still here.

Lovex has a Powder, which should be very close and similar to Varget, but the prices skyrocketed to extremes.
You could get a bin with 500 Gramms (1.1 lbs) for under 50 Bucks, now the price is close to a 1kg (2.2 lbs) bin of VV

So what you're saying is bullets in your neck of the woods cost coin of the realm ?. Also you're not punching targets over 300 m ,correct ?.

123 gr. 129 gr. 130 gr. will be more than adequate for those distances . More info required ,as to cases and powders along with bullets available too You .

I shoot a variety of powders along with bullet weights ; Generally 165 yd. aka 150.876 m out too 1076.248 m aka 1177 yd. .

MY target stations are at odd intervals because of terrain undulation ,so sheds are put on high points . So 165 yd. 278 yd. 340 yd. 635 yd. have target sheds , paper recordings . Longer distances have Steel Disc of various diameters .
Bullets are not that "cheap" anymore, but it´s a hobby and a passion, so you gotta do, what you gotta do and buy them.
In my Country, i´m limited to 100 and 300m, but there are longer Ranges in neighbor Countries around me and from time to time, there are competitions.
For Long Range, i already got stuff to use. But i don´t see a point and "waste" those limited Bullets on short ranges. I only wanna shoot them on short Ranges for Load Development, checking speed, Zero my Scope and all that stuff.

I´ll be starting with 123 Grain and VV N150 and develop a load for my rifle.

I've had better results with N 540 & N 560 than N 150 . 120's for ME on test run at 165 Yd. , 150.876 m . Norma Golden Target 143 gr. factory was 1 St. run on this self assembled platform ,so it's more than capable of sub 1/2 MOA . I personally have had excellent success with BL-C2 powder and comparatively speaking it's far less money ,than other brands . In Several of MY guns as well as different calibers .

Best results of this group were N540 followed by BL-C2 ,with a called pull I'm thinking it would have been a toss up as to the winner .

Neither of the IMR powders fully functioned correctly in My gas gun ,however I have another series loaded with a small % of more powder so we'll see IF it was load or powder burn rate . Weather is White and Blowing so visibility sucks . Can only imagine what Simo Häyhä went through !.
120 grain test 6 5 CM 165 Yd.jpg

Attachments

• July 2023 6 5 CM first run Norma Golden Target.jpg
    July 2023 6 5 CM first run Norma Golden Target.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 11
  • July 2023 6 5 CM first run Norma Golden Target 2.jpg
    July 2023 6 5 CM first run Norma Golden Target 2.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 9
I've had better results with N 540 & N 560 than N 150 . 120's for ME on test run at 165 Yd. , 150.876 m . Norma Golden Target 143 gr. factory was 1 St. run on this self assembled platform ,so it's more than capable of sub 1/2 MOA . I personally have had excellent success with BL-C2 powder and comparatively speaking it's far less money ,than other brands . In Several of MY guns as well as different calibers .

Best results of this group were N540 followed by BL-C2 ,with a called pull I'm thinking it would have been a toss up as to the winner .

Neither of the IMR powders fully functioned correctly in My gas gun ,however I have another series loaded with a small % of more powder so we'll see IF it was load or powder burn rate . Weather is White and Blowing so visibility sucks . Can only imagine what Simo Häyhä went through !.View attachment 8304339
Back in the ‘70’s I started with IMR4350 in the tin cans and have stayed with IMR since with a few ventures into Hogdgon and Alliant. Once I began using VV I have been sold on the lots 340 for 9mm and 540 for 224. Recently 540 and 555 for my 6.5 CM. Very nice powders and exceptional results. N150 and the 560 would be options should I not be able to get 555 or 540. Call me Vihta Loco LOL

Reactions: Ex E6
This is my second Creedmoor, first one is sold. I used VV N555 in there, and for Long Range the last Powder used was RS 70.
I´ll have to wait for a call on N555 to pick it up at my local shop.

N150 is already on my shelf, wanted to buy a 308 F-TR and use it there, but instead i bought the Creedmoor ;)
So i´m gonna try N150, if it won´t work, i´ll sell it to a Friend for his 308

This is my second Creedmoor, first one is sold. I used VV N555 in there, and for Long Range the last Powder used was RS 70.
I´ll have to wait for a call on N555 to pick it up at my local shop.

N150 is already on my shelf, wanted to buy a 308 F-TR and use it there, but instead i bought the Creedmoor ;)
So i´m gonna try N150, if it won´t work, i´ll sell it to a Friend for his 308
N150 for 6.5 CM will do very well. It’s just not as temp stable as the N555 or N540. Erik Cortina achieved good success using N150 before switching to 555

Last edited:
Reactions: DMP