• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel AR15...

Re: 6.5 Grendel AR15...

<span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">...which is one of the purposes of this thread:

To create a big enough DEMAND through information, so supply won't even be in question!

KEEP UP THE DEMAND!!!</span></span>

smile.gif

I think the 6.5 Grendel stacks up against the 308 once you get past 500, especially with some of the high bc Lapua bullets. The 6mm AR Turbo 40 Improved or the 6mm BRX also offer a lot of potential for long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is too heavy to be a "hunting rifle," but if I feel like filling the freezer it'll sure get it done. Filled this doe tag at 430 yds:

PICT0109.JPG
</div></div>

How long is the barrel? Nice rig, I like!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Wray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">Check out Sabre Defence!</span></span> </div></div>

They`ve just been put out of business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Wray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">Check out Sabre Defence!</span></span> </div></div>

They`ve just been put out of business. </div></div>

That's a nice way of putting what really happened to them, will give you that
whistle.gif

<span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">Got a response from Geissele and he stated that for my particular use (F-class competition) as long as the rifle will not be carried loaded our Hi-Speed Match Rifle trigger would fit the bill.</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: T-Hoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do any of you guys use your grendel for hunting, or just precision shooting? </div></div>

I don't use it for hunting (mt rig is too damn heavy), but if I had a lighter weight one, I would ABSOLUTELY use it. The 120 Nosler BT rounds are reportedly tits on deer. </div></div>

My uncle uses his all the time, you shouldn't have a problem

<span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">For those seeking an active forum for the "6.5 GRENDEL", you've come to the right place!

Check out this thread...</span></span>

If you just want the Scenar bullets, I haven't found anywhere cheaper than Connecticut Tactical. 123 grain 6.5mm Scenars for $280 per thousand. It doesn't bother me, but some people don't like getting the bullets in a bag rather than in a box, but that doesn't bother me at all. I have completed over 6 purchases with Connecticut tactical, and they have NEVER been short on the bullet counts.

I believe the Grendel will be getting more mainstream as it is
the finest all-around caliber avail(IMO) in the AR15 format--I
have 6 other uppers in other calibers also but if I could only have 1....................

Mark of SHORT ACTION CUSTOMS has Krieger blanks he's using for
Grendel barrels in different contours--ck him out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you just want the Scenar bullets, I haven't found anywhere cheaper than Connecticut Tactical. 123 grain 6.5mm Scenars for $280 per thousand. It doesn't bother me, but some people don't like getting the bullets in a bag rather than in a box, but that doesn't bother me at all. I have completed over 6 purchases with Connecticut tactical, and they have NEVER been short on the bullet counts.</div></div>

Nice catch! Powder valley just upped their per k price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: El Wray</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #333300"><span style="font-weight: bold">Any comments out there on Geissele's Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle Trigger for competition???</span></span></div></div>

IMHO it is the best adjustable two stage for long range. I use mine out to 1000yds and it is never the trigger that throws my shot off. It can adjust very light and is smooth as butter.

I have been reloading for my 264 LBC-AR (AKA 6.5 Grendel) for the past couple of months with amassing results. I am currently using Nosler 120gr ballistic tip (P/N 26120) with 31gr of Accurate 2520 and getting .650” groups at 200 yards. I took a wild pig out at 300 yards with no problems at all using the mill dots in the scope.

65gredal.jpg

• lothar walther stainless 22” Barrel & Bolt combo(264 LBC-Ar)
• Troy claymore muzzle break
• Daniel Defense 12” omega rail
• M-16 bolt carrier
• Spikes lower with 2 stage rock river trigger
• Millett Scope 6-25X56mm with 35mm tube http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/lrs/
• American defense QD scope mount (35mm)
• Magpul UBR stock (H-3 buffer)
• Magpul miad grip
• BAD lever
• Harris bipod with American Defense QD mount

295 yards
rotate04071119201.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is too heavy to be a "hunting rifle," but if I feel like filling the freezer it'll sure get it done. Filled this doe tag at 430 yds:

PICT0109.JPG
</div></div>

Kind looks like a "Bang-flop"
wink.gif
grin.gif
Was it?

Also, the .264 LBC isn't really a rip-off of the 6.5 Grendel. He actually paid something for the rights to it (as I understand it). But, he did change the leade/throat to something more sensible. Same thing with the 6.5 Sporter but they (model 1 sales didn't pay a royalty...they don't have to).
I wouldn't see having to pay a royalty for that round as it was already conceived. What AA did was give it his own compound leade/throat and stick it in an AR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toywiz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't comment on the .308. There have been many great cartridges over the years starting with the daddy of them all, the 7x57 Mauser 98. I sporterized one when I was young, out of the military and short on money. I shot many deer with that old Mauser and amazed many of my friends who shot larger 30-06 and such. Those older calibers relied on a lot of brute force but they did the job. When I was looking for something to shoot the local varmint match I was turned off by the 15-20 pound bench guns that I saw. Also many of the older shooters (I'm 68) were shooting 6.5-284 etc. They had huge 2" bull barrels and to be honest I couldn't see the purpose in it. I mean, with that haeavy a rifle what's the point? I happended upon an article on the 6.5 Grendel and some stuff about Arne Brennan and Bill Alexander. What I read peaked my interest. Add an upper to my Rock River AR? I stopped by Black Armory in Tucson and talked to them. I also discussed what I wanted to do with the Grendel. They gave me a parts list($$$$)Vltor etc (like El Wray), all forged and billet machined. I'm an engineer so I know to get an accurate rifle you have to have precision machining, there's just no way around it. If you slop some parts together you can't expect the cartridge to make up the difference. My friend, Bruce, is a retired armorer and firearms instructor and afficianado of AR's so he asked if he could show me the "right way" to put the Grendel together. Since I wanted to use the Grendel for hunting I opted for the 18 inch Alexander fluted barrel. I added a Leupold Mk-4 6.5-20x50mm LR/T M1 with the TMR reticle. I also did some research and experimenting with powder and am impressed with the new Accurate 8208-XBR which has good temperature stability and even burning. It's a tack driver out to 500 yds with a 107 Sierra and I'm loading some Lapua 123 scenars and have a couple of boxes of Hornady 123 A-Max bullets on order. I love this rifle. It's got a soft recoil and does way better than I expected. I agree with the post that said if you think of it as somewhere in the middle etc.
I'd add some pics but I can't figure out how to insert an image, somehow the "enter and image" panel wants a URL and there's no browse to my photo folder.

Merry Christmas! </div></div>

yeah Arne lives just down the street from me and I bought mine from him around 5 years ago in an AR style 20".......the guns he was able to shoot out to 1000 were 28" bolt guns and they were some nice sticks. If you ask on the grendel forum or follow things over there you find that few people reach out past 600 yards.....of course most don't work at it. Even on the grendel forum most people will tell you accuracy past 600
is tough for a grendel...load development, barrel length...so many things but I love the round and my gun. It has been the one gun I never consider selling or trading. There is just something unique about it and it is fun to shoot all day without getting beat up.....and a good one is one accurate little shit. My 20" with a Lothar Walther barrel is heavy as hell and I have decided to cut it down and flute it. But people drop deer every year at 400 yds and a bit more. That little ppc cartridge is efficient as hell for the amount of powder used.....that is the beauty of that little gun in my experience.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThinIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toywiz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't comment on the .308. There have been many great cartridges over the years starting with the daddy of them all, the 7x57 Mauser 98. I sporterized one when I was young, out of the military and short on money. I shot many deer with that old Mauser and amazed many of my friends who shot larger 30-06 and such. Those older calibers relied on a lot of brute force but they did the job. When I was looking for something to shoot the local varmint match I was turned off by the 15-20 pound bench guns that I saw. Also many of the older shooters (I'm 68) were shooting 6.5-284 etc. They had huge 2" bull barrels and to be honest I couldn't see the purpose in it. I mean, with that haeavy a rifle what's the point? I happended upon an article on the 6.5 Grendel and some stuff about Arne Brennan and Bill Alexander. What I read peaked my interest. Add an upper to my Rock River AR? I stopped by Black Armory in Tucson and talked to them. I also discussed what I wanted to do with the Grendel. They gave me a parts list($$$$)Vltor etc (like El Wray), all forged and billet machined. I'm an engineer so I know to get an accurate rifle you have to have precision machining, there's just no way around it. If you slop some parts together you can't expect the cartridge to make up the difference. My friend, Bruce, is a retired armorer and firearms instructor and afficianado of AR's so he asked if he could show me the "right way" to put the Grendel together. Since I wanted to use the Grendel for hunting I opted for the 18 inch Alexander fluted barrel. I added a Leupold Mk-4 6.5-20x50mm LR/T M1 with the TMR reticle. I also did some research and experimenting with powder and am impressed with the new Accurate 8208-XBR which has good temperature stability and even burning. It's a tack driver out to 500 yds with a 107 Sierra and I'm loading some Lapua 123 scenars and have a couple of boxes of Hornady 123 A-Max bullets on order. I love this rifle. It's got a soft recoil and does way better than I expected. I agree with the post that said if you think of it as somewhere in the middle etc.
I'd add some pics but I can't figure out how to insert an image, somehow the "enter and image" panel wants a URL and there's no browse to my photo folder.

Merry Christmas! </div></div>

yeah Arne lives just down the street from me and I bought mine from him around 5 years ago in an AR style 20".......the guns he was able to shoot out to 1000 were 28" bolt guns and they were some nice sticks. If you ask on the grendel forum or follow things over there you find that few people reach out past 600 yards.....of course most don't work at it. Even on the grendel forum most people will tell you accuracy past 600
is tough for a grendel...load development, barrel length...so many things but I love the round and my gun. It has been the one gun I never consider selling or trading. There is just something unique about it and it is fun to shoot all day without getting beat up.....and a good one is one accurate little shit. My 20" with a Lothar Walther barrel is heavy as hell and I have decided to cut it down and flute it. But people drop deer every year at 400 yds and a bit more. That little ppc cartridge is efficient as hell for the amount of powder used.....that is the beauty of that little gun in my experience. </div></div>

BS.

The very first time I shot my Grendel, as well as the first time I'd attempted to shoot anything beyond 300 yards, I was slamming steel at 700 yards within a handful of shots.

The Grendel is a legit 1000 yard gun and is capable of doing everything. .308 can do, especially out past 400 or so yards.

hey...I don't disagree some can do it and have. I am just stating the general consensus among most of the long time members and fans of the gun at the grendel forum and one military tester I know. Anyone can read the posts and discussions about it. I have for many years and have been surprised and confused about most of it.

Of course people do one mile shots with 223's also.
smile.gif

The grendel is a great cartridge I am a big fan.....but most of the guys I know for some reason have trouble staying supersonic out to 1000. I have no idea why...just what I have read and seen posted... but I know I got specific powder and bullet info to be able to do it from Arne....and others have given up although the loads are all out there for anyone to see not to mention we now have good factory ammo. I think most just don't work at it and I have heard many say they prefer to grab their 260 when they want to slam 1000 yard steel. The other possibility is a large number of grendel shooters just suck past 600 yards.
smile.gif
and also.....Let's face it....plenty of people can't hit 1000 yd steel with the best scope and a 7mm wsm on a windless and perfect day.

Last Saturday one of my clients ran his 6.5 Grendel to 1000 yards with no problem using factory Hornady 123gr A-Max ammo.

We didn't check what the Internet thought about it before we did it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThinIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey...I don't disagree some can do it and have. I am just stating the general consensus among most of the long time members and fans of the gun at the grendel forum and one military tester I know. Anyone can read the posts and discussions about it. I have for many years and have been surprised and confused about most of it.

Of course people do one mile shots with 223's also.
smile.gif

The grendel is a great cartridge I am a big fan.....but most of the guys I know for some reason have trouble staying supersonic out to 1000. I have no idea why...just what I have read and seen posted... but I know I got specific powder and bullet info to be able to do it from Arne....and others have given up although the loads are all out there for anyone to see not to mention we now have good factory ammo. I think most just don't work at it and I have heard many say they prefer to grab their 260 when they want to slam 1000 yard steel. The other possibility is a large number of grendel shooters just suck past 600 yards.
smile.gif
and also.....Let's face it....plenty of people can't hit 1000 yd steel with the best scope and a 7mm wsm on a windless and perfect day.</div></div>

We (my brother and I) were hitting one MOA @ 800 in L-R winds of up to 12 mph. The round easily has the ability to hit @ 1000 supersonic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark of SHORT ACTION CUSTOMS has Krieger blanks he's using for
Grendel barrels in different contours--ck him out </div></div>
I'll co-sign on that. Had Mark build one for me. It's a shooter! The furthest I have taken it out is 600 yards, but I hope to go out east and stretch it out.

I've got a .264LBC on order from Scott @ Specialized Dynamics, should be here soon hopefully.

I just got my optic for it in, I ended up breaking down and bought a used USO SN-3 3.2-17 the other day off in the for sale section here.

I see there are several other people here from IL that shoot grendels, so where in our communist rep of IL do you guys live?

I'm about an hour south of chicago out in the middle of a corn field.

I'm getting my grendel for coyotes and shooting steel out here.

Any of you guys interested in getting together to do some shooting?

Unfortunately my range will close as soon as the corn goes up but I'm working on a few other places to shoot.

I've got a few friends that have places I can shoot but not when ever I want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Last Saturday one of my clients ran his 6.5 Grendel to 1000 yards with no problem using factory Hornady 123gr A-Max ammo.

We didn't check what the Internet thought about it before we did it. </div></div>

what were the chrono numbers at target? Was it supersonic? So far among those that have checked they have been a bit under supersonic. Great round though in my book. So far my best loads have been with 123 scenars and VIHTAVUORI powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ThinIce</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
what were the chrono numbers at target? </div></div>

I've never placed a chronograph in front of the 1000 yard target.

How many people are making 6.5 kits/uppers now? I'm starting to see the ammo prices come down a bit and more and more people are switching over too it. I'm definitely going to try this on one of my spare lowers.

JP is making them now, hearing good things about them also. going to check them out I think!