• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 Grendel more or less dead?

I wish it would die off so I can find some Federal 90gr TNTs in stock. Im about to have to buy a reloading setup to get back into the light weight stuff.

Hornady released a 6.5 creed load with a 95 grain but didnt with grendel..

Reactions: Raffica762
Nice! What load are you using?

8208 XBR. The charge weights are visible in the pics. I didn't realize that some data goes up to 28.5 grains though. I stopped at 27.2 and my groups opened up to over MOA. Got some loaded up to 28.3 and I hope to try them this weekend. Pill is 123 ELDMs seated 10 thousanths off the lands.

I wish it would die off so I can find some Federal 90gr TNTs in stock. Im about to have to buy a reloading setup to get back into the light weight stuff.

I'm a big fan of the 90gr TNT myself

Reactions: skyrep
not an AR, but should be fun build non the less...

AKM 6.5

uvJhux0.jpg
Nice

I wish it would die off so I can find some Federal 90gr TNTs in stock.
Last rumor I heard was that Federal would be producing these again and could become available as early as next month. But, who knows...

Last rumor I heard was that Federal would be producing these again and could become available as early as next month. But, who knows...

You would think as fast as it gets bought up some other companies would work on varmit loads. I blew up a coyote the other day with a SST, still got 200 rounds of it to shoot through.

What varmint bullet(s) are desired for 6.5 Grendel?
95 V-max
90 TNT
85 Sierra HP

The 90gr TNT shot great in my Grendel loaded with H335. The 120gr Prvi that Powder Valley sells is a lot of bullet for the $$. It was the most accurate out of my 20" Grendel.

100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip be of interest?

I never got around to grabbing any of the federal 90gr but read several positive things from users of it. Will pick some up when/if it comes back around.

It isn't dead or dying but the 224 Valkyrie has pulled a lot of the long range target and PRS guys away. Long range performance was always the hyping point of the Grendel. The 224 Valkyrie (80gr ELD at 3000fps or 88eld at 2800) has less drop and drift than the Grendel and that will hurt sales.
As 22 cal and 6mm Grendel and 6.8 cats become more available they will also hurt Grendel sales.

Far from dead. It’s my favorite predator and medium game caliber in a small frame AR, and that won’t change with the Internet winds...

It isn't dead or dying but the 224 Valkyrie has pulled a lot of the long range target and PRS guys away. Long range performance was always the hyping point of the Grendel. The 224 Valkyrie (80gr ELD at 3000fps or 88eld at 2800) has less drop and drift than the Grendel and that will hurt sales.
As 22 cal and 6mm Grendel and 6.8 cats become more available they will also hurt Grendel sales.

I think 6.5 has become a better dedicated hunter than the 6.8. 2800fps in a 18" tube with 90grains is pretty nice.

6mm needs alot longer tube to get up to speed.

I think 6.5 has become a better dedicated hunter than the 6.8. 2800fps in a 18" tube with 90grains is pretty nice.

6mm needs alot longer tube to get up to speed.
The 6.8 runs 100fps faster than the Grendel with factory ammo using the same weight bullets and barrel lengths, 200fps faster comparing top handloads to top handloads. 85gr TSX will break 3100 out of a 16" barrel, we can push 110s to 2750 out of a 16".

The TAC6 is a 6.8 based 6mm. 95gr SMKs out of an 18" barrel hit 2800fps.

The 6.8 runs 100fps faster than the Grendel with factory ammo using the same weight bullets and barrel lengths, 200fps faster comparing top handloads to top handloads. 85gr TSX will break 3100 out of a 16" barrel, we can push 110s to 2750 out of a 16".

The TAC6 is a 6.8 based 6mm. 95gr SMKs out of an 18" barrel hit 2800fps.

Did not know that, I have not put much more thought into my grendel other than Federals factory loads, I have been waitinig on results on light, short barreled .224 valk loads for a excuse to get another predator AR.

Did not know that, I have not put much more thought into my grendel other than Federals factory loads, I have been waitinig on results on light, short barreled .224 valk loads for a excuse to get another predator AR.
Hornady is concentrating on the 88ELDs when they should be loading the 80eld. The Valkyrie can push the 80s much faster which results in less drop and drift so if their hype is "long range performance" they should be loading the bullet that works best. Same goes for Federal, the 90gr SMK isn't going to win the race.
55s out of the Valkyrie should hit 3400 easy, I've pushed them to 3500+ out of a 5.56x42(6.8 based cat).

Reactions: Radioactiv
It's still a very usable cartridge. I don't think it's dead, nor will it truly be dead any time soon. But it does have some solid competition these days. I used to have a very nice 18" 6.5 G setup, but have sold it and now just have a 300 BLK for dedicated suppressor usage and a 6.5 Creedmoor for the long range work. 6.5 Grendel to me was a good compromise. It wasn't the best at anything, but moreso a jack of all trades.

Hornady is concentrating on the 88ELDs when they should be loading the 80eld. The Valkyrie can push the 80s much faster which results in less drop and drift so if their hype is "long range performance" they should be loading the bullet that works best.

Mag fed 80gr ELDs are really what interests me about the .224 Valkyrie. I'm looking at the 6.5 G as well, but good .224 bullets are usually cheaper than equivalent larger caliber bullets, and I like to hunt with a bolt guns. The 6mm wildcats like the Predator are really interesting as well for what would be mostly target and steel use.

What kinda optic would be most favorable to a 12" Grendel build? LPVO or Red Dot? I'm thinking NF NX8 but Trijicon MRO kind of seems appealing too.

Take a good look at the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24. It is a LPVO and Red Dot all in one. I have one on my hog gun, and I LOVE IT. Illuminated at low power it is essentially a red dot, but I can turn it up to 6X if I need too reach out.

The Ruger American comes in 6.5G, not sure what exact model mag it uses but it's a Pmag style. The 556 and 300AAC versions of the same ilk do use Pmags.

Don't go by what the army says, go by what the army does. They promised me a new M7 rifle back in 2002 and when I joined they promised me a G11 if I passed SFAS. When I got out, they were still promising it. Then it was something else. Now they have a few things in the works. SF does a lot of shit that other units don't do, and if it works well for them, it starts to trickle down to other units, usually as something special. Like how SDM's would up with M110's when in the beginning we had to make do with standard M4's with acogs and bipods. The new collapsible round is an idea, it's something they want or think they want and someone has enough clout to make it this far. I doubt it'll get adopted for several reasons (I'm sure something better will come along first). G11 was another wonder weapon and it fired 4mm caseless ammo. Iv'e seen one, it's pretty slick and still futuristic. Now US army is NOT adopting 6.8 OR 6.5, they ARE adopting 6.5CM as a stop gap for now and the intention is to purchase uppers for both M110's and Mk20's. In fact, they're dream Mk20 looks just like --another AR. Yep. They want the collapsible stock, FF tube more like an AR, etc. I thought it was one the first time I saw it. Then there's the .300 Norma Mag. MG they want. It's not gonna replace the 240, it's just that the army has woke up and built a better logistics system that can handle specialty calibers like this in a theater of operations.

As to Grendel being "dead"? Are you shitting me? There's more brass and bullets available for it than ever. It DID get adopted by the army, just not the US army (it's Indonesia or Malaysia or some fucking place in that general armpit of Earth). It's being used as a specialty round for many units around the world in many armies. In the US, it's commonly ranked as the best round for the small platform AR, as recently as this year by one publication. Ranked number one. That's not bad considering how many rounds there are for that platform. 6.8? It's claim to fame will be as the parent case for the .224Val.

Then Satern, they have FIVE barrels in stock vs. one .223 (if you're interested in a NICE Grendel, go there and pick one NOW before he runs out, because custom orders through them take YEARS!). I have one, it's not to be underestimated, it's the only barrel I have that can do consistent .33MOA groups. You can also get an entire Grendel upper from PSA for $299, so they're even being made for cheap budget builds. When I started using it, it was a wildcat but I've seen it change over the years to a SAAMI spec cartridge that really has no peers in it's class.

Finally, there are a lot of posts about building these on here all the time. And if Grendel does die, it'll have to at least wait until after me because I ain't dropping it.

Magpul does not. Something about thinning out the polymer to fit 6.5 Grendel cartridges leading to much quicker wear/cracks.

Yeah, I heard they tried it.

Still the best mags IMO are the blue follower SS ASC mags I got several years ago. They just work. 26rd. There's another mfg. that makes the exact same mag (may BE the exact same mag but with a different contractor for the finish).

My favorite rifle usually ends up being the Grendel too:

Reactions: bobke
Yeah, I heard they tried it.

Still the best mags IMO are the blue follower SS ASC mags I got several years ago. They just work. 26rd. There's another mfg. that makes the exact same mag (may BE the exact same mag but with a different contractor for the finish).

My favorite rifle usually ends up being the Grendel too:

View attachment 7060609
How have you liked those larger ASC mags? I just got the blue follower 25 rounders, and they jam up immediately and can't feed. The 15 round mags have been great for me, though.

To add the the conversation, 3 deer this year with the Grendel, and have used it in competition with consistent success past 1,000 yards this year. Best small frame AR cartridge if you are looking for versatility.

The market is flooded with whiz-bang small frame AR cartridges.
Define the job, then pick the tool.
Killing game with a small frame AR at ethical distances?-the Grendel is my go to for everything mulie size on down, period.

They are not going with the 6.8 SPC, they are going with a 6.8 caliber, but not the spc. I would imagine that the case will be longer, likely fitting in an AR10 or something that splits the difference. It may or may not be based on the .30 rem, that would make too much sense.

In reality, the only people who care what the Army will use are people in the Army and insecure boys who chase whatever the cool kids use.

I care what the military uses only so far as the data and testing it provides. Surplus ammo cost is a big plus as well.

IMO, the caliber and weapons you arm the infantry with are decided by their tactics as much as the enemy's tactics. Best to use a level head and just see what suits your needs.

Reactions: Bertre5b

P302, Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, Tenth Edition shows ten different 6.5 Grendel loads for the 95 V-Max, 100 ELD Match, and two other discontinued Hornady bullets, including H335, TAC, W748, and CFE223.

Hornady® Handbook of Cartridge Reloading
eBook Editions

For those who prefer the convenience and searching ease of an eBook, Hornady® offers a download of the Reloading Manual from iTunes or Amazon.com. Having an electronic version allows a more compact format that you can take anywhere!
On iTunes On Amazon

Greg

Ultimately, in terms of bullet inventory consolidation-and in 6.5 there is a lot to select from, the Grendel makes sense for me as a small frame AR cartridge, and marries up well with 6.5x47 and 6.5CM I also shoot in bolt guns and large frame AR’s. 6.8 and .270 are somewhat limited to 2 platforms only. I’ll be sticking to Grendel and 6.5 calibers for a long time, if only based on stash of bullets I’ve been building.

I just got my first shipment of 90gr Federal AE Varmint/Predator ammunition, and as I look at/handle the cartridge for the first time, it's a bit amazing that so much alleged performance can come out of such a small package.

I read somewhere that the 6.5 Grendel is the most efficient package that can be employed in the AR 15 platform; brave words, indeed.

But faith is a virtue, and I'll be trying this stuff out really soon.

Greg

I just got my first shipment of 90gr Federal AE Varmint/Predator ammunition, and as I look at/handle the cartridge for the first time, it's a bit amazing that so much alleged performance can come out of such a small package.

I read somewhere that the 6.5 Grendel is the most efficient package that can be employed in the AR 15 platform; brave words, indeed.

But faith is a virtue, and I'll be trying this stuff out really soon.

Greg
The 6.8 is apx 100fps faster using the same weight bullets and same length barrels. Pretty easy to compare looking at Hornadys factory ammo if you pay attention to the barrel lengths. A 16" 6.8 will shoot 120s -to apx the same velocity as a 20" Grendel will shoot a 123gr. With Handloads you could push a 110gr Nosler Accubond to 2800 out of a 20" 6.8 barrel.

I love my Grendel! I have an 18” and plan to built another 12.5” SBR eventually.

Great caliber for critters like coyotes and feral animals out to 600+. Reasonably inexpensive. I’ve shot a couple of matches with my 18” and I didn’t feel I was at a significant disadvantage.

I’ve taken a friend’s 12.5” out to ~1100 for fun and it was fairly predictable and repeatable out to around 850.

The 6.5 grendel does not have a momentum like the 6.5 creedmoor. Its popular build for bolt action and ar10 platform, anyone looking 6.5 will go creedmoor and not grendel.

This is a very interesting opinion due to the fact that companies are continually are producing new Grendel parts and ammo. I understand that you are entitled to your own opinion but the facts do not supprt your opinion. A creed is a large frame, so for the hunting crowd carrying a lighter small frame AR is an enormous advantage...

Reactions: sobbarry
Was going to respond to the same comment. It may be about picking the right tool for the job, and within its limitations, the Grendel is quite capable, especially given breadth of good bullet choices ie 129 ABLR. Outside of those parameters, pick a different tool. No need to break hard on a Grendel if you’re willing to recognize it’s operating limits, and the fact it’s a bit easier to hump around than a 15# Creedmoor, which I also have for those special occasions.

This is a very interesting opinion due to the fact that companies are continually are producing new Grendel parts and ammo. I understand that you are entitled to your own opinion but the facts do not supprt your opinion. A creed is a large frame, so for the hunting crowd carrying a lighter small frame AR is an enormous advantage...

The Gen 2 DPMS frames weigh 4 oz more than their AR - 15 counterparts. That’s not much.

Last edited:
The 6.5 grendel does not have a momentum like the 6.5 creedmoor. Its popular build for bolt action and ar10 platform, anyone looking 6.5 will go creedmoor and not grendel.

I went Grendel just because I had this idea of just swapping uppers on my 5.56 gun. We all know how that works out. Turned into a whole new rifle. I love it though.

I know there's a lot of talk about the Federal 90gr load lately, but I haven't been terribly excited myself about a dedicated varmint round in the Grendel. For me, these two ammo choices cover about 90% of what I want in the Grendel:

- Cheap blasting ammo, this stuff actually shoots well in mine and the bullet performs reasonably well on target too: https://aimsurplus.com/wpa-wolf-performance-arms-6-5-grendel-100grn-fmj-20rd-box

- Quality ammo, this load covers most of the bases, although I just load my own to about the same spec with this bullet: https://aimsurplus.com/hornady-black-6-5-grendel-123grn-eld-match-20rd-box

The rest of my Grendel needs are covered by the 129 ABLR bullet which is excellent in the Grendel, even in short barrels.

I know there's a lot of talk about the Federal 90gr load lately, but I haven't been terribly excited myself about a dedicated varmint round in the Grendel. For me, these two ammo choices cover about 90% of what I want in the Grendel:

- Cheap blasting ammo, this stuff actually shoots well in mine and the bullet performs reasonably well on target too: https://aimsurplus.com/wpa-wolf-performance-arms-6-5-grendel-100grn-fmj-20rd-box

- Quality ammo, this load covers most of the bases, although I just load my own to about the same spec with this bullet: https://aimsurplus.com/hornady-black-6-5-grendel-123grn-eld-match-20rd-box

The rest of my Grendel needs are covered by the 129 ABLR bullet which is excellent in the Grendel, even in short barrels.

Just getting into 6.5G via a Larue upper and holding off on buying any Wolf for the moment.

Success with it seems to be hit or miss, so do you mind posting info on your rifle/barrel?

Thanks

Love my Grendel

Attachments

• 45E46F83-F3D0-4F6A-8742-9E16EC39D1DC.jpeg
    45E46F83-F3D0-4F6A-8742-9E16EC39D1DC.jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 7382ABFA-2F41-461B-B45F-2BE29A703CFD.jpeg
    7382ABFA-2F41-461B-B45F-2BE29A703CFD.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 110