• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6.5 PRC load data

@Inline6power Are you not getting split necks at those velocities from Hornady brass?

After 3-4 firings at those speeds using H1000 I am getting split necks.
No but with the Hornady brass after 3 firings primer pockets were so loose the damn near won’t hold one. Have since switched everything over to adg 100%. On the 5th firing on some and they are like they were when I first got them. Absolutely zero changes on pockets and brass looks as new as it did the first day. Factory 147s hummm out of my tube at 3080 and same with those. Pockets turn to junk after 3 firings. Have never experienced neck splits

@Inline6power Are you not getting split necks at those velocities from Hornady brass?

After 3-4 firings at those speeds using H1000 I am getting split necks.
News flash!
I have had a problem with Hornady brass splitting necks from the very start e even with milder loads.
I have had, over many years, very good service life and performance from Hornady 6.5 and 6 Creedmoor brass but the (original runs at least) started showing signs of splitting from the first firing even on factory loaded ammo.
When this lot of brass is done I'll be switching to ADG.
EDIT: So there is no misunderstanding I will say that Hornady had me sent some pics of the brass that was splitting and they did send me replacement brass. They were spot-on with CS.

Last edited:
No but with the Hornady brass after 3 firings primer pockets were so loose the damn near won’t hold one. Have since switched everything over to adg 100%. On the 5th firing on some and they are like they were when I first got them. Absolutely zero changes on pockets and brass looks as new as it did the first day. Factory 147s hummm out of my tube at 3080 and same with those. Pockets turn to junk after 3 firings. Have never experienced neck splits

Interesting—if I keep velocities <3000 FPS (25” barrel) I am getting 6+ reloads from Hornady brass with decent primer pocket tension remaining and only the occasional split neck.

Factory 147 is running 3080 out of your barrel?! That is the fastest barrel I have heard of.

Reactions: Inline6power
Interesting—if I keep velocities <3000 FPS (25” barrel) I am getting 6+ reloads from Hornady brass with decent primer pocket tension remaining and only the occasional split neck.

Factory 147 is running 3080 out of your barrel?! That is the fastest barrel I have heard of.
Had a high of 3098. Average has varied from one lot to another. Low average has been 3069 and high was 3081

Attachments

• 58ADEA8B-12E9-413D-AD0C-D2F77A5AA298.jpeg
    58ADEA8B-12E9-413D-AD0C-D2F77A5AA298.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
Reactions: bodywerks
Had a high of 3098. Average has varied from one lot to another. Low average has been 3069 and high was 3081

That barrel is a keeper for sure. My 25” PVA 8-twist 5R is getting about 2930 FPS with factory 147s.

That barrel is a keeper for sure. My 25” PVA 8-twist 5R is getting about 2930 FPS with factory 147s.
Agreed!! Ga built the gun. It’s a team gap gun, bartlien 26” tube 5r with a 1-7.5 twist. It’s a hammer

I must have the slowest 26in barrel ever made im only gettin 2824 fps out of 58 gr.retumbo

My rock creek barrel sped up 150fps after about 200 rounds. At 750 rounds I JB scrubbed it and it took about 40 rounds to get back to the higher speeds (2990 w/ 156gr Berger’s).

Proof carbon or Tikka?

For sure very few of us will hit the velocity lottery like our BMW/Supra/Datsun? friend has.
Lol been big into the diesel performance stuff since early 2000 and was big into Cummins power. Had a few 1k rwhp trucks. Name just stuck lol

Lol been big into the diesel performance stuff since early 2000 and was big into Cummins power. Had a few 1k rwhp trucks. Name just stuck lol

Haha—I’m oh-fer-two on that post.
I love the fact that American diesel and Toyota 2JZGTE both get to 1k WHP with inline sixes, but in very different ways and styles.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming on 6.5 PRC...

I just finished my load work on a new TS Customes 6.5 PRC with LP TI Action, 22" Proof Carbon today.
I have around 200 round through the barrel. Never shot more than 1/2 MOA no matter what load I used. Very impressed with the accuracy of this round.
Settled on:
156 EOL
Hornady brass
58.6g H1000
.030 off the lands
Fed 210M
2942 FPS - single ES - not awful being a 22" barrel

Did run into heavy bolt lift and ejector swipes at 59.4g groups were still very good velocity readings.
Rifle weights 10.5lbs without bipod and the recoil is very nice on the shoulder. Think I will really enjoy the PRC. Looking forward to stretching it out a bit.

Few Pics
IMG_2408.jpg
IMG_2406.jpg
IMG_2413.jpg
IMG_2414.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished my load work on a new TS Customes 6.5 PRC with LP TI Action, 22" Proof Carbon today.
I have around 200 round through the barrel. Never shot more than 1/2 MOA no matter what load I used. Very impressed with the accuracy of this round.
Settled on:
156 EOL
Hornady brass
58.6g H1000
.030 off the lands
Fed 210M

Did run into heavy bolt lift and ejector swipes at 59.4g groups were still very good never good velocity readings.
Rifle weights 10.5lbs without bipod and the recoil is very nice on the shoulder. Think I will really enjoy the PRC. Looking forward to stretching it out a bit.

Few PicsView attachment 7396103View attachment 7396105View attachment 7396109View attachment 7396110

Nice stick!

I’d be curious how your brass holds up. I was getting split necks from my hornady brass at those levels after about 4-5 firings. Sometimes as early as 2-3.

Nice stick!

I’d be curious how your brass holds up. I was getting split necks from my hornady brass at those levels after about 4-5 firings. Sometimes as early as 2-3.
Yea Im not overly impressed with the brass so far. Lot of inconsistency in weights, neck tension and even had to primer pocket issues. I'll move to ADG once I work through this batch.

Here is what I got so far on my new rifle load development. Powder used was RL 26 on this one. I'm thinking I have to step the charges up closer to max load. Brass was also virgin ADG when shot. Need your guys advice on all data, and what i should do next, and if I'm missing anything. Thanks

Attachments

• 6_5 PRC Load Development .pdf
    87.4 KB · Views: 152
Here is what I got so far on my new rifle load development. Powder used was RL 26 on this one. I'm thinking I have to step the charges up closer to max load. Brass was also virgin ADG when shot. Need your guys advice on all data, and what i should do next, and if I'm missing anything. Thanks
Nice node at 54.3 which gives you a .6 grain flat spot. I am sure there is another node in higher velocities if you get the charge weight up more. Pretty sure you didn’t see any pressure at those speeds with a 140. You can go higher and look for a top end node but I would load at 54.3 and test accuracy and es sd then adjust seating if needed.

Nice node at 54.3 which gives you a .6 grain flat spot. I am sure there is another node in higher velocities if you get the charge weight up more. Pretty sure you didn’t see any pressure at those speeds with a 140. You can go higher and look for a top end node but I would load at 54.3 and test accuracy and es sd then adjust seating if needed.

Yeah my intentions are to continue going up in charge weight until I hit pressure signs. I believe also there is another node up above where I left off. Also will try out that 54.3 as well.

Cleaned up my graphs a bit looks alot better, let me know what yall think. Need your opinions. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200813-204135_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200813-204135_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 146
Went with 54.3 and loaded 5 loads to see the accuracy. Will be going up to max load to what the higher velocities look like.

well got some range time in with my current load development. New seating depth, as well as to max loading. Also new seating depths with 54.3 grains charge weight.

Attachments

• AccuracyTest65PRC_200830_195532.pdf
    149.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 65prcladdertest2_200830_151429.pdf
    111.6 KB · Views: 87
Let me know what you all think, thinking of loading the 56.5 velocity node found in the top end of the ladder test.

Reading on other forums of brass resizing problems, dies not resizing the base down enough - anyone here having that issue? I plan on having GAP build my 6.5 PRC and am starting to think those sizing issues are due to factory produced rifles not customs.

Reading on other forums of brass resizing problems, dies not resizing the base down enough - anyone here having that issue? I plan on having GAP build my 6.5 PRC and am starting to think those sizing issues are due to factory produced rifles not customs.
Happens is custom as well. My gap 6.5 prc has this issue with 3x-4x or more fired brass.

I’m having the issue too in a WTO custom with WTO “match” chamber. I have gotten 6-7 loadings before it’s starts in Gunwerks brass. Some say with Hornady brass it’s not as bad, idk.

Settled on:
156 EOL
Hornady brass
58.6g H1000
.030 off the lands
Fed 210M

Did run into heavy bolt lift and ejector swipes at 59.4g groups were still very good velocity readings.

Few PicsView attachment 7396103View attachment 7396105View attachment 7396109View attachment 7396110

This is such a sick looking build. What stock is that?

It’s absolutely an issue. I’ve tried Redding, Forster, Hornady, and even a ground down 300 PRC die. None of them adequately size the case down to spec. SAAMI fir the reamer is .533 I think, and die size spec is .5295, but the dies only size down to .5315-.5325, which causes a click on primary extraction and sticky extraction of cases fired more than 3x. I’m currently talking with Short Action Customs, and Mark is looking into the issue to see if he can build me a proper sizing die.
I sent fly Forster die back, along with fired brass and was told there was nothing they could do.

My factory rpr no issues yet

I have 3 prc's first one i built with a new ptg reamer when they were first released, this one gets click, second one was just built chambered with a new manson reamer, this one has no issues and the third is a prefit thats real tight(guessing their reamer was wore out) best bet is to get a custom die from whidden right away that will size web to .528-.529"

Last edited:
Reactions: Inline6power
Anyone have any load data with the 140 elite hunter with either H1000 or RL26? Looking at starting to work up a nice hunt load

Work up obviously but...
H1000. 58-59 grains
Rl26. 56-57 grains

My loads
140 vld at .010, 56.5 rl26
140 elite hunter .020, 57 rl26
135 classic hunter .15, 57.5 rl26 this is my favorite load at 3150 FPS using ADG brass and 210 primers

Reactions: levi8599
Work up obviously but...
H1000. 58-59 grains
Rl26. 56-57 grains

My loads
140 vld at .010, 56.5 rl26
140 elite hunter .020, 57 rl26
135 classic hunter .15, 57.5 rl26 this is my favorite load at 3150 FPS using ADG brass and 210 primers

Was your velocity on the 140s pretty close to the 135? Thanks for the info. That’s what I was hoping for

I'm rolling over in my head a 135 grain bullet with H4831sc. Anyone tried this combo before?
I have 8 pounds of the powder and 700 bullets. That should do in a barrel.

I’ve tried it with 140 and 143’s and it shot great but not fast 2900 ish

54-54.5 was the sweet spot with 143’s so 54-55.5 should be a good range and probably be high 2900’s with 135’s.

I’ve tried it with 140 and 143’s and it shot great but not fast 2900 ish

54-54.5 was the sweet spot with 143’s so 54-55.5 should be a good range and probably be high 2900’s with 135’s.
That's the thing. I can find data for H4831 and 140 grain bullets but it is left off for the 130-135 grain bullets in all that same data.
I may contact Hodgdon to ask why this is so. The bullets I have are custom and have a larger pressure ring than normal so I really have to be careful on pressures in this case.
Thanks!

So, I called Hodgdon tech today. Told the guy that answered I was wondering about using H4831sc with 6.5PRC. The response took me by surprise. "6.5PRC?! That's some kind of wildcat and we don't have any data for any powder for that thing!"
Oh my. Where do they get these folks?
Then he says "If we don't have listed data for that powder with that cartridge then don't use it."

:rolleyes::eek:

Origin SA. Shilen select Match 8 twist 26”. Lapua Brass. Fed 210’s. 57H1000 140eldm at 2.930oal (2.300” ogive) which is .014-.015” off in saami throat. 3070fps. This Load is hammering so far!