• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 6.5 WSM -- 6.5-300WSM ?

huntall

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2009
Show Me State
What is the diference between 6.5 WSM and a 6.5-300WSM cartridge? Would there be any advantages in these cartridges over a 6.5-284? I thinking of getting some kind of 6.5 caliber cartridge for hunting.
Thanks
Huntall

Re: 6.5 WSM -- 6.5-300WSM ?

With that much case capacity why the 6.5 instead of a 7mm?

The difference in a 6.5-7 WSM and a 6.5-300 WSM is:

7 WSM necked down to 6.5 is going to have less neck length and more powder capacity. 6.5-300 WSM and 6.5-270 WSM are identical to each other, both have a longer neck and shorter base to shouler length than a 6.5-7 WSM.

TO ADD:

Advantages over the 6.5-284 would be increased powder capacity, slightly shorter cases to easier fit in a short action (although a long action would be more optimal for mag length feeding) and about 250-400 fps increase in MV depending on the bullet, barrel lenght, powder, etc.

Downsides:

WSM brass is not available from Lapua, 6.5-284 brass is.
6.5-284's have a short barrel life, expect the WSM to be less than 70% of the already short life.
With a fast twist barrel like a 1:8 you can push the 140's so fast that you're going to risk them blowing up. For a hunting round it's less than optimal if the shot is less than several hundred yards out because the extreme velocities at impact generally tend toward bullet failure.

These are some of the same problems that plagued the 30-378 Wby Mag back in the 60's when it was developed by Weatherby but never released to the market. That, and they had no marketing salient reason to trump their own King of teh 300's (300 Wby Mag)

I did a 6.5 WSM and it was great for the first 500 rounds then the accuracy went south and never returned.

wade

my cousin bought a 6.5wsm crusader form george at GAP. i worked him up a load with the 142 SMK's running 3270 fps. 3 shot group at 425 yards measured .824" with the pics to prove it. can't beat it with a stick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wwbrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did a 6.5 WSM and it was great for the first 500 rounds then the accuracy went south and never returned.

wade</div></div>
Probably because your throat is shot!

I did leave out 260 and the 260AI as a possible choice.Didn't really want a 6.5 Remington Magnum because of the belt. I shoot a 300WSM but seen that you get better ballistic coeffients with the 6.5 and 7mm bullets and thought I would give them a try. Always been a 30 cal man. I thank everyone on the great replies.I would like to keep to a short action, preferably a Stiller or Surgeon.
Thanks
Huntall