• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes 6.5CM, SR25- what optical power range seems reasonable?

scubadds

Private
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2010
I picked up a KAC SR25 lower, and am waiting for the KAC 22" 6.5 creedmoor upper to hit the streets..(3 months I was told)
When I spoke with KAC one of the guys there recommended the NF ATACR 4-16 as that's what they were using on theirs (he thought it was a good balance of size/magnification)
I was worried that it might not be enough magnification?

I am in NC and we have to look hard to find shots over 600 yds, and I tend to shoot around vegetation.....
(ie, I am not out in montana with 1200 yd shots across a prairie or mountain side) if that matters

However, I do plan to seek out a few places to stretch the legs out to 1000 or so when I can..

Hard to say how far I will typically shoot, but I certainly don't envison this as run and gun battle rifle like a shorter 7.62 upper might yield
Any cursory thoughts on what power range one might find most useful? and or versatile for a 22" AR10 6.5 CM
Presently, this would be my only longer range setup except for a 7mm mag hunting rifle I have had for eons and rarely shoot.

I might aquire a 14,5" .308 for shorter range fun....
My SR15 has a Mk6 1-6
Thanks

Reactions: SethJ
For what it's worth, the scope I have on my 6.5CM is a 3.5-21x50 with the H59 reticle, and I have used it out to around 1000 yards on a few occasions and haven't felt "underscoped" at all. In fact, I was normally dialed back off of max magnification so I could have more of the H59 reticle at my disposal for elevation and wind.

It's my feeling, in general, that you don't quite need as much magnification as you think for distance. A 4-16 optic wouldn't be bad, but the best thing to do would be try to go somewhere that has a few options you can lay hands on and peer out a window to see if it fits your preference.

I am a KAC fan, builder, shooter and scope nerd. The SR25 M110 sniper rifle only had a 10x Leupold. I think you will be very happy with something like a 3-15x. I like the idea of NF ATACR, and also Steiner 3-15x (either T5Xi or M5Xi) of the S&B 3-20x Ultra Short.

Also, FYI, I am a dealer for KAC, NF, Steiner and S&B. Any of these brands will serve you well. If I can help with 'hide pricing, PM me.

I did check-in with Knights, and they are sort of vague on delivery dates for the 6.5CM, but that is normal for them.

well, there you go....4-16 it is....

H59 vs Tmr3, I plan to go H59 unless you guys have reasons that I don't know

well, there you go....4-16 it is....

H59 vs Tmr3, I plan to go H59 unless you guys have reasons that I don't know

I'd say that's a matter of preference. The H59 is very usable, but some feel it's very "busy".

Maybe there's some competition I’m not aware of in the small ffp segment, but the 4-16 f1 would be fucking perfect if you ask me. I use one on my primary bolt gun as well.

I think the NF would be an awesome choice, but I would also recommend the S&B 3-20 PMII. I have one on my GAP-10 6.5, and I dig it. I’ve taken it as far as 1200 yds. No issues at all. I don’t think the 3-20 gets as much live as the 5-25 PMII, but for a gasser, I think it’s an amazing choice. Maybe give it a look.

I rarely get to shoot past 650 yards without travelling the better part of a day to get to where I can shoot longer distance. But at local competitions, I don't usually go more than 12-15x at 600yds, lower power like 8-12x if it is movers and I need to find my target first (they mix up the order in the pits before raising targets, have to find your numbered target first and I like the extra FOV in that case).

Reactions: CSTactical
I've used my 4 - 16 F1 SHV to shoot out to 1200 yards on steel with no problem if that helps. Nice scope I really like the simple MOAR reticle.
I shoot a 6.5 creedmoor with that scope. Some scopes have too busy recticles for me. Keep it simple, I like being able to see things down range
not a bunch of dots and lines all over the place. The MOAR recticle gives me another 30 MOA of elevation to play with for Very Long Range steel.

Only reinforcing what others have said. In a match setting were it might go 200-1000, I generally have my 5-25 set @ or below 15x and forget it. It is nice to have the extra power when ranging and looking for the exact watermark, but not really for shooting in the above setting. Using one of my 3-15 in the very same place, sometimes I "think" I need more.. It is just a weird mind game we play with ourselves. So If you are the kinda guy who will always wonder if you should have more magnification, then most likely it will haunt you. Whatever you do, don't give up features for a tiny bit more magnification.

In the end of the day, it is a super personal cost vrs want

Thanks guys, was away for a few days as the thread grew...
I am in Wilmington, NC
I find "optic- Analysis-Paralysis" a real phenomenon....so many choices, I tend to delay the decision.