• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6.5mm Creedmoor freebore:

LG65CM

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2017
I'm having a rifle built chambered in 6.5CM. I've researched and it seems the SAAMI freebore spec is .199". Is there any advantage to having the freebore shortened in length? If so , how much? I'm inclined to leave the spec alone as I think it would enable me to shoot a wider variety of bullets.

Thought I would ask just in case I am missing some obvious advantage to changing the standard freebore. TIA, lg

Reactions: Robert Gradous
Thanx SS. I think you are right. Sometimes I can 'get to thinking' and that can be dangerous. I've got 2 other 6.5s w/saami spec chambers and nice accurate loads worked up for those. So, keeping the chamber to the same spec as these should help with load development. lg

@Abn- shooting Berger target hybrids was the bullet I had in mind for this rifle and why I got to thinking about a shorter FB/throat. But, after asking here and thinking things thru I decided I might want to shoot other bullets later down the road. And the 6.5s I have now with the SAAMI fb of .199" shoot those bullets real nice (with my CBTOs) as well as the Berger. So, decided to not built a rifle that was somewhat bullet specific. Appreciate the thoughs you all took to reply.

I still do plan on only shooting the hybrids with lapua brass, at least initially in the rifle's early days. See what happens after that. :)
(at least I will have my options open)