• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6.5mm SAUM or WSM?

ranger1183

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2006
Whitefish, MT, USA
6.5mm Rem SAUM -or- 6.5mm WSM?

Does anyone have experience with either of these two wildcats? I have AICS mags with re-inforcing plate still installed (mags will stay that way) so I will be limited to overall length. Yes, these will be shot from a bolt rifle.

Looking to shoot Barnes solids VERY fast with sub-MOA accuracy. Also looking to shoot heavy SMK's and VLD's at around 3000 fps.

Thoughts?

Re: 6.5mm SAUM or WSM?

I built 6.5 WSM about 4 years ago and I use it as my primary deer gun. Accuracy started out very good and has slipped some after about 600 rounds, not surprising as the round is a little overbore. You should be able to get 130 Berger VLDs and 142 SMKs over 3,000 fps with no problem.

For dies I just used full length S series from redding in 270 WSM and used the correct bushing for Win brass, no problem reloading.

I like 6.5's I have many of the different flavors available but I am not sure that I would go with another 6.5 WSM as I think about rebarreling. The accuracy is still under 1 MOA at 100 yards (5 shot) it just no longer prints really nice groups. The deer are still impressed with the round as they have not seen the difference in accuracy, it is just a comfort level for the guy on the trigger.

My two cents,

Neither for a comp. gun. I have just over 200 rounds through my 6.5-7 SAUM, and it will foul badly after 10 rounds. Accuracy will open up > 1 moa. Good deer gun, bad comp. gun.

I run the 139 scenar at 3,175 with RE22. I believe the load is 60.0g but maybe 61.0. I don't have my load manual in front of me.

I have tryed both of them and barrel life sux. But a 6.5 super short mag works ok. Just neck up a 243 ssm brass. The only down side is getting good brass

wwbrown what bullets are you using? Have you checked to see how much the throat has moved back? I know with my last 6.5-284 I am shooting 140 Berger VLD's and not that they are terrible when they are out of lands, but they are a heck of lot better in the lands. So far I'm losing about .007" of throat per hundred rounds. Once they start moving out of the lands I start to see groups to start to open up.

David

I am shooting 130 Nosler Accubonds and have moved out as the throat has eroded, I would have to check my log to tell you how much. The Berger VLDs are touchy about jump but the 130 ABs seem pretty benign to jump changes. I have a 6.6 x 284 also and it seems that the 6.5 WSM has been harder on the barrel.

id hate to say this get the 7mm Rem SAUM and shoot a 162gr A Max or 175gr MatchKing and it will out last the 6.5 and out shoot it if using the standard mags the shorter Rem case is better in either option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a 6.5mm Remington Magnum.... </div></div>

6.5mm Remington Magnum, the original short action magnum?

That cartridge never occurred to me. Anyone have any experience with the 6.5mm Remington Magnum?

The 6.5 Rem Mag and 6.5-284 are almost identicle in performance and case capacity so i would chose the 6.5-284 just because it runs of a 308 boltface and cases are easier to get.

They are both longer than the Rem SAUM case though as it works better with long VLD projectiles in standard length mags. You can always use a slightly backed off load with the short mag cases with Retumbo you would have an awsome rifle well past 1000 yards with either of the short mags look at the Sierra Projectiles as the thicker jackets usualy stand up better with the high velocities. Using a fair load and either case will give you a barrel life of around 1000 rounds max if you can get any of the old 155gr Sierra MatchKings in 6.5 they are awsome in the Short Mag cases they realy hold their energy well and are deadly accurate unfortunatley they were discontinued due to the 142's having a higher BC.

I used one (6.5/300wsm) in 1000yard BR in 2002 and 2003. It is super flat with VLDs. Accuracy was great but that was the barrel not the chambering.

IMO its a chambering you would want to shoot the occasional five shot group with and hunt with. If you shoot it much you will be chasing the lands much. If you decide to go that way get yourself a throat reamer from Dave Kiff at pacific Precision.

Wild Bill,

Thanks for all your (excellent) input. Your posts are great and I appreciate all your fine input.

I still have about 1500 6.5mm 155gr SMK's left. They are sweet to shoot and I do like shooting them at long range more than any of the 142/140/139 bullets that I've fired. I would be very interested in throwing the 155's at over 3000fps muzzle at distances over +1000 yards. If their accuracy holds, it will be an amazing cartridge.

I've recently become very impressed with the line of Barnes 6.5mm solids. I have had great luck with them so far (110 grain solids) and to date they have been every bit as accurate as the 107 gr SMK's. I have "heard" that because these are solids, they don't have an upper speed limit (like the Bergers or the SMK's) causing them to fly apart.

True?

Maybe, maybe not.

Question is can I push these 110 solids at 3400 fps or faster without burning out the barrel in the first 1000 rounds?

Maybe, but I'm not counting on it. But it sure sounds like a heck of a lot of fun for a varmint / deer / long range shooting cartridge to me!

Time to crunch some more numbers and see what I can come up with.

Many thanks!

honestly i would use the 6.5SAUM and the 155gr MatchKings they are a deadly combination and 3k is within the reach and they will get you closer to a mile than 1k. You will be able to launch the 110gr Barnes X's close to 3400fps but the harder you push ehem the faster you will toast the barrel you will not blow them up though. past around 400 yards the 155's will be much better the 110's will shot laser flat for the first part then their BC will slow them dramaticaly. Your idea of the 155gr MatchKings at 3000fps use Retumbo a Win Mag or CCI 250 primer and the job will be done.

The old 155gr MatchKings were awsome we shot them at 1000 yards in 260 rems and 6.5-284's they actualy shot better just a bit more drift than the fancier high BC 140gr class 6.5 but for pure accuracy you have the combo spot on and if you dont go looking to drive the 155's past 3100 and take care you might be able to make the barrel last the whole 1500 projectiles i would have the barrel set back at 800-900 rounds to get a bit of fresh throat for the rest of the projectiles.

Sounds like you have the parts to make this happen i batch Rem brass and it is great in my 7mm Rem SAUM just neck it down and start hammering past 1k