• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

**6 Creedmoor**

Different is good, LOL!! Let me check with my dealer..

It's good stuff for sure. I always have a h4350 load and a h100v load. Then I use whatever I have more of or can find easier. For the most part I've been able to find h4350 and at one time stocked up on h100v but I'm down to 5lbs or so of it so I save it for when I want to push the bullets way over match limits (if I'm shooting to 1500+ for fun) just something about a load that only requires 5.3mils to 1k yards at 500 ft above sea level that makes me smile. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Should be out at the end of the month, I've been meaning to call.
Wow. That sucks. I know there is settings in it but I don't ever touch them. Maybe the radar thing will be out soon and I'm sure with it reading velocity out to 100 yards it will tell us much more about what's going on than we can find out on a consumer level.

See, I know someone very interested in pushing 140gr. bullets in a 6.5 Lapua as fast as possible and still take care of the barrel. Do you know if h100v is a known barrel burner???
It's good stuff for sure. I always have a h4350 load and a h100v load. Then I use whatever I have more of or can find easier. For the most part I've been able to find h4350 and at one time stocked up on h100v but I'm down to 5lbs or so of it so I save it for when I want to push the bullets way over match limits (if I'm shooting to 1500+ for fun) just something about a load that only requires 5.3mils to 1k yards at 500 ft above sea level that makes me smile. :)

Newby here with new 6CM from a good Hide member that was on sale a month or so back: 26” Schneider 1:7.5 barrel, R700, trued by Crescent (Moon), KRG X-Ray. I picked it up Tuesday, put on a March Tactical D24V42FMIL (light to go with a light rifle), and loaded Berger Hybrid 105s at 0.020” jump (using Hornady Base-to-Ogive gauge) with IMR4350 in Hornady brass prepped with a 0.271 bushing and 6mm carbide button for an OCW. Test charges started at 41.4gr stepping up in 0.2gr increments to 43.2gr. I did shoot about 20 sighting rounds at 41.2gr to zero and get a good feel and two more at each increment to look at pressure signs and continue the familiarization. Then to the OCW round robin with 4 rounds at each load. Unfortunately there were no range officers for the 200, so the 100 it was and this is what I have so far in the target pic. I ran the OCW without the Magnetospeed, and then only had two rounds at each charge left over to get MVs, so the figures in the pic are an average.

Question: do accuracy nodes open and close across a few tenths of a grain (i.e., across that loading range will there normally be juts one, two, or more nodes)? Assuming my shooting was consistent enough, it seems like 42grs might be a focus point for some seating depth testing? Would stepping up to 43, which looks to me like another node, put that much more wear and tear on the throat? Also, I could see no pressure signs except primer cratering/flattening, which was the same across all loads. Does this look acceptable to you all? I am liking this rifle!! Thanks much.

Attachments

• 20140704_164424a.jpg
    20140704_164424a.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 20140704_174545.jpg
    20140704_174545.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
42.9-43.1gr. is what I would play with. I would use .1gr increments and see what's going on. To be honest, your groups look complicated. But, if they were mine, I would try what I just said, with another test. Somebody else may have some different advise.

Out of all the 6mm Creedmoors I've done load development for or been around there was an accuracy node right at 3150fps and a two below that around 3020 and 3105 if I recall correctly but I wanted to be as fast as the matches would let me so I never really ran them below that speed. This bartline barrel I have now has been tough to find a load for (3 powders and 0.1 increments from 2900-3200fps, three different primers, and jumping from 0.005 to 0.040) and nothing has shot below a 1/3" group that was repeatable. I'd bad enough so that I'm almost positive that something is wrong with the barrel so it should be getting addressed next week. I've always had great luck out of brux barrels and for some reason I've had bad luck with bartline. Probably dumb luck to be honest..

Last edited:
Ran another test at loads around the 42 and 43 identified nodes with tighter seating at .010 and .005 jumps (IMR4350, BH105). The 43 showed significant pressure signs with blowby on primers, and one primer blowout. But the 42.0 at .010 jump looked really good (with the cratering but nothing else bad, which I guess is tolerable?). Split the difference between 010 and 020 and ran another set at .015 jump. I think that's the load for the time being and I am really liking this rifle now.
42.0gr IMR 4350 .015 jump.jpg

Looking good there Ismull! :)

I feel lucky this sat with you a while before I stumbled on it and pulled the trigger. Will be lot of fun at CW's PR2 in two weeks and a big improvement over the Sako 308 Hunter I used a month or two ago at PR1. Thank much!!!

By the way, the Whidden 6CM seating die has performed really well. Very consistent Base-to-Ogive seating which is giving me lots of confidence on the jump measurements.

By the way, the Whidden 6CM seating die has performed really well. Very consistent Base-to-Ogive seating which is giving me lots of confidence on the jump measurements.

I just ordered a few sets of whidden dies. One for the 6creed. Do you run their sizing die? If so what bushing are you using? I ordered 7 sizes of them just to play around with between the 6mm Creedmoor and the 6mm slr that I'm having built.

I just ordered a few sets of whidden dies. One for the 6creed. Do you run their sizing die? If so what bushing are you using? I ordered 7 sizes of them just to play around with between the 6mm Creedmoor and the 6mm slr that I'm having built.

Edit. I see you used the 271 die. That's what my loaded case measured but I went with a few under that and over that to play with. The Hornady dies that GAP sells have been pretty good for me other than when I rack a bullet fast during a match it's throwing the bullet from 20-27thou off the lands into the lands and I stuck a bullet at the last k&m match. Needs more neck tension imo.

Yes, .271 bushing with button inside on a Redding FL CM die. Have not worked these like you guys running matches so can't say whether the tension is too light other than couldn't pull a bullet out with my finger grip.

Yes, .271 bushing with button inside on a Redding FL CM die. Have not worked these like you guys running matches so can't say whether the tension is too light other than couldn't pull a bullet out with my finger grip.

Going to tell you right now, a 271 bushing is waaaaaay too light, you can seat the bullets with your fingers if you do use it, trust me, I tried it already.

Got the email from Tracey today. My new 6 Creedmoor should be in my hands this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to tell you right now, a 271 bushing is waaaaaay too light, you can seat the bullets with your fingers if you do use it, trust me, I tried it already.

That may be your result, but not mine at all. I am on new brass so far. May change with once-fired stuff (?) but I'm too lazy to find out now given that any immediate spare time is for loading 400 rounds for a PR2 class in a couple weeks.

That may be your result, but not mine at all. I am on new brass so far. May change with once-fired stuff (?) but I'm too lazy to find out now given that any immediate spare time is for loading 400 rounds for a PR2 class in a couple weeks.

Maybe you're using fireformed Lapua 22-250 brass? Hornady brass is always 272 with a bullet in the case. Of course I'm talking about brass that hasn't been neck turned.

But I'll play with the bushing stuff when they come in this week with some fresh brass and see what I get.

Out of 10 random pulled mine read 0.2710 with the 105gn hybrids every time. That's with mits calipers so not El cheapo calipers by any means. A blade micrometer shows very similar.

I got Mitutoyos also, actually the VLDs & Hybrids I got loaded up measure anywhere from 271 to 2725, mostly 272. One side might be 271, then I turn the case a bit and get 2725", some are right on 272 no matter how much I turn the case.

No JGorski, using Hornady 6CM. If I have this right, 271 less 30 neck walls = 241 for .002 tension. Definitely not able to seat or unseat with the fingers, on mine, anyway. I was under the impression that .002 was about right for bolt guns? No issues with the first 150 or so rounds.

No JGorski, using Hornady 6CM. If I have this right, 271 less 30 neck walls = 241 for .002 tension. Definitely not able to seat or unseat with the fingers, on mine, anyway. I was under the impression that .002 was about right for bolt guns? No issues with the first 150 or so rounds.

No Ismull, Hornady brass is only .00137"-.0139" thick in the neck, just measured one with my vernier ball micrometer. So it's 243 + 00138 + .00138"=270.6, how I get a 270 bushing.

My lot of new brass measures .015, and 271 is working fine. I have 269 and 270 for other situations, like yours, for example. Thanks
DSCN1170.JPG

Funny thing just happened, found a virgin piece of 6 Creed from my first order over 2 yrs ago and it measured about the same as yours, .0015, decided to seat a bullet and measure the case loaded, I got .02715". Most of the cases I've checked before were in the .00137-.00142" range, yet the loaded case measures right around .272".

Just a small tid bit but a buddy who has a 6mm Creedmoor also did a FULL benchrest type prep of the brass (neck turn to all the same diameter, bushing sized, weighed, uniform flash hole and primer pockets etc and tested those against the out of the box stuff and the out of the box stuff worked just as good or better from his words. That aligned with my experience of virgin brass without any sizing or anything done providing better results. Sadly out of 1k peices +/-100 I have non of it with the exception of a few "master" peices are new anymore. I'm hoping I can play with the neck tension and get similar results which I'll be very happy with. I also trimmed a little more off the neck on accident but everything is more concentric now with the shorter necks. Don't know it that's dumb luck or what? Either way I know when mag fed it throws some of that out of alignment anyways.

Funny thing just happened, found a virgin piece of 6 Creed from my first order over 2 yrs ago and it measured about the same as yours, .0015, decided to seat a bullet and measure the case loaded, I got .02715". Most of the cases I've checked before were in the .00137-.00142" range, yet the loaded case measures right around .272".

Funny all my loaded rounds measure .274 with the hybrids. The bullet measures .244
Brass is .15
Hornady 105s measure .2435

I just run a 269 bushing on all of them with the hybrids and have had very good results with it. Even though the Hornady dies from gap is putting it around 2695 or so it never feels consistent when seating the bullets, with the whidden dies it's the same amount of pressure every time and it shows in the groups. A buddy shot my gap10 (gasser) 6mm Creedmoor at pts on the zero day and stuck 8 shots into one ragged hole. That's not bad at all for a gasser!

Funny all my loaded rounds measure .274 with the hybrids. The bullet measures .244
Brass is .15
Hornady 105s measure .2435

Just measured 98pcs of Hornady brass the other day with my ball micrometer, didn't have one neck that was over .00147".

Are you guys using the sizing ball or just the bushings. I ended up using my 270 bushing with the sizing ball.it feels like less tension than new brass , but its about .002 tension.
Also found my load 41.9 h4350 fgmm 210 kissing the lands with a 105 hybrid.
.3" 5 shot groups consistently.
Thanks jgorski

Are you guys using the sizing ball or just the bushings. I ended up using my 270 bushing with the sizing ball.it feels like less tension than new brass , but its about .002 tension.
Also found my load 41.9 h4350 fgmm 210 kissing the lands with a 105 hybrid.
.3" 5 shot groups consistently.
Thanks jgorski
I never use the expander ball, just bushings. Loaded something close to that today, 41.8grs H4350, Tula primers and Hybrids, some are .005" off lands, others .015 & .023" off. Have had great groups any where from 41.6 to 41.9grs H4350, but with 105 Hornadys.

Take the expander ball off. Why would you want to undo what you just did with the bushing? :)

Alright guys, i just got a call from benchmark and i will have a new 6 creed in a couple weeks. i have been doing a lot of reading and still have a question or to. so i understand the the barrel is going to pick up velocity after a 100 or so rounds. would it be more beneficial to do load development after the barrel is broke in, is the velocity gain going to change the accuracy node. im going to be running the hornady 105, h4350, new 6 creed brass from gap and not sure on the primers yet havent had any luck finding the wolf or tula primers.

thanks coby

Yes it will speed up. My brux barrels sped up about 80 fps or so, bartlien around 60fps so far and picking up a little each time out. It should settle down after 150 rounds or so. I would find a load around 3075fps if possible and see if it stays accurate, All of mine have.

Go to gunbot.com for the primers. I just ordered 5k wolf primers but can't remember where I ordered from.

Winchester Brass - 22-250
Wolf Primer
105 - 115 bullets. All are Hbn coated

43.5gr H4831SC

2950 fps
In the Benchmark 1:7.5 at 27 inches with the DTAC 115's

2980 fps
Brux 1:7.75 at 28 inches with the DTAC 115's

I am now shooting 44.0 gr H4831sc and coated DTAC's. I am shooting to 7.0 mils at 980 yards. I have not chronoed the load, but based on today's DA of 1580, the load is doing right at 3000 fps.

I still have some H4831sc left, I'm going to try both 43.5 & 44grs in my 6Creed with coated DTACs.

Let me know how it turns out. I'm also going to try some h1000 but think I'll be a little short on capacity to get the velocity I want. If not it would help barrel life out a ton since it's a slower burning powder.

Let me know how it turns out. I'm also going to try some h1000 but think I'll be a little short on capacity to get the velocity I want. If not it would help barrel life out a ton since it's a slower burning powder.

Zac, with a oal of about 2.805" (DTACs) the base of the bullet is ever so close to sitting on top of the powder, I'll be happy if I can get 3k out of it in my number 1 Creed, Tubb is getting 2900 with his load(6XC). Testing begins on Wednesday!

I'd be happy with 3k fps if it shot well. Especially for a practice load or something. I shoot on average about 250 some odd rounds a week so not having to replace a barrel every 4 months would be nice. Lol.

I'd be happy with 3k fps if it shot well. Especially for a practice load or something. I shoot on average about 250 some odd rounds a week so not having to replace a barrel every 4 months would be nice. Lol.

Course these will be DTACs I'm shooting on Wed you know.

6mm Bullets

image.jpg

I am new to reloading 6mm. I have been running the 105 Hybrid without any issues. Last night I tried loading a few of the Hornady 105BTHP just to see how they would fly. I was using my Whidden 6 Creedmoor die just like have been all along with the Hybrids with less than .003 neck tension. No matter what I do the Whidden die is leaving an indention on the Hornady bullets. Why? What can I do? The attached pic shows the Hornady's up front and the Hybrid in the back.