• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

**6 Creedmoor**

View attachment 48714

I am new to reloading 6mm. I have been running the 105 Hybrid without any issues. Last night I tried loading a few of the Hornady 105BTHP just to see how they would fly. I was using my Whidden 6 Creedmoor die just like have been all along with the Hybrids with less than .003 neck tension. No matter what I do the Whidden die is leaving an indention on the Hornady bullets. Why? What can I do? The attached pic shows the Hornady's up front and the Hybrid in the back.

That ain't right, what is your load and what is your neck measurement before seating

The outside diameter of the necks of my virgin Hornady 6mm Creedmoor brass are .272. After seating a Hornady 105 BTHP the necks measure .274 with an indention toward the nose of the bullet. These are loaded with 42.0 grains H4350. I am beginning to think the Hornady bullets need Hornady dies. Has anyone run into this issue with Whidden dies?

I think I have some 105gm Hornady bullets somewhere but we just moved. I'll try to seat a few with my whidden dies that I use a 269 bushing with and see what it does. I do know the whidden dies work much better than the Hornady dies on the VLDs I use for practice so maybe they have a VLD type of insert in them?? It still shouldn't do that though if everything else is right. Have you seated in with out powder in say a fired cases. I know it may fall in the neck but if you have a 272 bushing that you could work down from that may tell you if it's neck tension but I've used a 266 bushing (got thrown in from brownells on accident and was free) just for the hell of it and it still seated just fine, just rubbed more bn coating of than normal but the bullet looked great up top. (hybrid)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

**6 Creedmoor**

I remember someone at the WV PRS match shooting a 21" 6CM with can getting 3050fps which isn't bad.

Iroc are you Zac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I'm Zac Smith (not Zak Smith from TB)

I'm just a horrible shooter who likes nice guns with fast bullets :)

Last edited:
Point the bullets and that 22" barrel will hang with a 24" which is what every one of mine have been and 3150fps has been very easy to reach with zero pressure signs. I've slowed these two new barrels down a little to 3117fps (yeah not much) but my dope is a good bit less with this load and the pointed 105gn hybrids than it was at 3150fps and non pointed hybrids. Basically 6.1mils to 1k yards with the DA around 3k (hot day down here in Alabama)

**6 Creedmoor**

[MENTION=88412]Irokcrawl[/MENTION]

You using the whidden pointing die? Trimming the meplats before pointing too? Is pointing hard or just tedious?

I'm hunter, I posted on you or gorskis post.

Reactions: crowsniper1
No trimming, just pointing and it's quite I normally point about 2-500 at a time. Usually I do it while the chargemaster is dumping powder for a few hundred loads. I can point two for every case I can resize or roughly 2-3 per 42.8gn pour from the chargemaster.

And yes whidden pointing die. My bullets are Bn coated befor hand so I don't know if you need to lube the tips of they are not pointed or not but I don't do anything but pull them out of one box, point and put them in another box.

And if you read back there was some issues with the brass and primer pockets but from this new batch it seems to be MUCH better. With the hybrids it's very forgiving on load development. I also got lucky and both of mine use the same exact load with both hybrids and VLDs which makes it nice. I just keep them separated in case there is variance in the chamber.

The outside diameter of the necks of my virgin Hornady 6mm Creedmoor brass are .272. After seating a Hornady 105 BTHP the necks measure .274 with an indention toward the nose of the bullet. These are loaded with 42.0 grains H4350. I am beginning to think the Hornady bullets need Hornady dies. Has anyone run into this issue with Whidden dies?

I have the Whidden dies also , I seat both bullets they are interchangeable as far as powder and seating just off the lands is only a .002 difference, ive never had a dent like that , I inside chamfer a little hornady one shot left in the neck makes them seat really easy.

I get .272" when I load the Hornadys in creedmoor brass.

**6 Creedmoor**

How much neck tension are yall getting with hornady dies? I'm averaging about .00175. Some about .001 to .0025. Can/should I try removing expander ball?

After sizing with the Hornady it was close to what a 269.5 bushing would be if it existed would size it to. I don't run expander balls in my bushing dies because I don't want to undo what i just did.

howdy fellas,
i know this is a little off topic but i'm sure ill get the answer here a little quicker, anyway what bore guide are you guys using for the 6creed. thanks again

howdy fellas,
i know this is a little off topic but i'm sure ill get the answer here a little quicker, anyway what bore guide are you guys using for the 6creed. thanks again

Sinclair bore guide for Templar action here

What size Dewey rod are you guys using? I tried to slowly put a 308 one through and it goes in without a problem, even though 308 is bigger than 243. Should I use the 308 or 22 Cal one? They are both coated rods.

Took the 6 out today 15 to 30 mph winds , unusual for here but beggars can't be choosers. Set 2 plates out 1 at 360 and 1 at 760....... dialed 3 moa on the close one WACK dead center , first time past 200 so I was confirming dope from shooter.Then dialed 13 for 760 squeeze. BING.... hit took about 20 more shots at it with crazy winds missed twice. The speed at which it hits the target is astonishing, 30% faster then my 308. This is one bad round.
Shooting 105 Hybrids at 3160 with 41.9 h4350 consistent .3 moa shooter

Indiana is changing their deer regs for next year, looks like the 6 Creedmoor is gonna be legal and lethal!!!

Here is the load that works for me...

Bartlein 1:8 twist barrel 24"

105gr Berger Hybrid

Fed large match primers

42.5gr H4350

Avg 3100fps and consistent 1/4 MOA groups

Both of my new 6mm Creedmoors/barrels run the exact same load at 43gn of h4350, br2 primers, bn coated 105gn hybrids with a 27thou jump. Both are bartline 1-8 237 bore barrels. The previous bad from the start barrel was very slow. I was getting near 45gn with the bn coated bullets to get to 3100fps, barrel replaced and all is good. I ran some closed tipped dtacs at 3150fps the other day and the pointed hybrids at 3150fps beat them on drop to 720 yards so I'll stick with the 105gn pointed hybrids from here on out.

Reactions: go4shoot
I shot a few the other day out of my 6 Creed and they look promising, 41.6 H-4350 I plan to do some load development, but still have 5000 105's to burn up.

I shot a few recently. The speeds were better than I expected but the groups were not great. I will probably try another set to see if I can tighten up the groups. The bullets are very long, which limits the seating choices.

I shot a few recently. The speeds were better than I expected but the groups were not great. I will probably try another set to see if I can tighten up the groups. The bullets are very long, which limits the seating choices.

What twist is your barrel?

Solid ballistics and light recoil.
The 105 hybrid at 3130ish makes for flat dope.
Splash at distance can be an issue though.
Haven't tried the noslers yet.

R

I'm running the new RDF's. They are a great bullet. I have gotten some really tight groups including a 3.5" group at 900 yards this morning. I finally caught a day without 20mph winds. The 8mph crosser this morning was just a sneeze compared to what I've been shooting in all spring. Winds were brutal at the JC Steel match last weekend. Low scores everywhere.

I'm running 41.6grs RE26 at 3115fps. SD is below 3. I'm 1100 rounds in and yesterdays measurement shows .004 off the throat. So the barrel is hanging in there.

With how difficult it is to find H4350 powder, what other powders are you guys playing with in 6cm?

Thanks

With how difficult it is to find H4350 powder, what other powders are you guys playing with in 6cm?

Thanks

I know that Hodgdon Hybrid 100v is one that has had success. I have 4 lbs and haven't tried it yet as H4350 has worked well for me and I have been lucky keeping it stocked.

Good luck

Just got my Bergara in 6 Creed. I'll be starting my load development with a ladder test using H100v.

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 141
Please post how your hybrid 100v ladder test turns out. Hopefully it does well for you. I can't find h4350 or imr 4350. I started to try imr 4451 since it is suppose to be pretty close to h4350 anyone tried imr 4451 in a 6 mm creed?
I went back to lgs and they were out so I tried a ladder test on some powder I had on hand rl19 and hornady 108 eld match bullets I am definitely not getting fps I would thought I would.I am so far at 41.gr at 2690 fps average with magnetospeed according to hornady reload data I should be around 2900 fps out of 24" barrel. It was pretty accurate but like to be around 2900 fps . I am afraid I'm going to run into pressure problems before hand. Plus rl19 is temp sensitive. I am using cci large primers rl19 hornady 108 gr eld match bullets are seated at 2.2340 at ogive. Anyway I may have to wait till I find something different instock. I guess everyone is using 4350 lol I have heard that 4831 does good but haven't tried it either. I do see a lot of it on shelf. I figured the rl19 is pretty close to 4831 as burn rate anyway. I hope we will start seeing some of these powders back on shelf soon.

Last edited:
Shot targets top left, then top right, bottom left, bottom right, center in order of increasing powder levels between 40.4 and 41.8 gr of H100V. Saw no pressure signs throughout. Liked the level area between 41.2 and 41.6 (shots on bottom targets). Playing with different seating depths at 41.5 gr now

Unfortunately I don't own a chrono yet, so can't speak to that

26" barrel with 1 in 8" twist, Hornady 108 gr ELDs

Webp.net-resizeimage (3).jpg2017-06-12.png

2.4" group at 425 yards

2.800" seating depth, 41.5 gr H100V
Out of 26" barrel, 1 in 8" twist
Hornady brass, Hornady 108 ELD, CCI 200

Webp.net-resizeimage (4).jpg

Anyone running a gas gun? What loads/velocity are you getting? I have a 22" JP barrel on way.

Did anyone convert 6.5CM Lapua brass to 6mm CM? I am wondering if I can just use Redding NON Bushing FL Sizing die to resize 6.5CM brass to 6mm CM. Thanks!

I'm running the new RDF's. They are a great bullet. I have gotten some really tight groups including a 3.5" group at 900 yards this morning. I finally caught a day without 20mph winds. The 8mph crosser this morning was just a sneeze compared to what I've been shooting in all spring. Winds were brutal at the JC Steel match last weekend. Low scores everywhere.

I'm running 41.6grs RE26 at 3115fps. SD is below 3. I'm 1100 rounds in and yesterdays measurement shows .004 off the throat. So the barrel is hanging in there.

How temp stable have you found RE26 to be?

Found good accuracy and SD of 4 with:

47.3 H1000
107 SMK
2.795 (.045" jump)
MV: 2870
SD: 4
ES:10
22" JP barrel (AR-10)

Should I look for a higher node? I am already crunching powder at 47.3, although I have not seen pressure signs.

For reference, this barrel shoots factory Hornady ELD at 2970 with pressure signs.