• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

64 MPR bedding.....with VHB tape! No stock mods

Hellbender

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Lebanon, Missouri
Part 4 in the series.

Here's what I am attempting to fix with this mod, I am not trying to make the gun shoot better, it shoots better than I can now. I have been playing with this for a couple of weeks now.

1. The barrel actually touches the stock channel when on the bipod.

2. When I remove the action and replace it the group is moving around about 1/2-3/4 of an inch or so each time, aggravating.

3. Wood stocks tend to move POI around as the weather changes, I am gonna try to isolate the action from the stock and minimize this.

I didn't like the idea of the normal, hard epoxy bedding I use in a synthetic stock, as the wood is still gonna swell and move around as the weather/temp/humidity changes, therefore changing stuff around (possibly??)

I got the idea of using a slightly rubbery, elastic type bedding from one of my Browning A-Bolt Varmint rifles in a wood stock, they used a dab of some kinda rubbery stuff to bed the recoil lug in that rifle, and it works very well.

They make a type of double sided sticky tape called VHB (Very High Bond) tape, used in the automotive industry to permanently attach lots of stuff to cars. It is NOT foam tape, it is a semi hard, slightly rubbery stuff that will "wet out" a technical term for molding itself to whatever surface it sticks to.

It is clear, here is a piece of it stuck on a piece of white cardboard.
DSC03341.jpg

Looking at my existing contact points in the stock and running some feeler gauges around the action, I had only three main points of contact, directly around the 2 action screws and out at the end of the barrel channel on the left side (not good).

I left the orange release film on in this pic so you could see where I put the tape, I used one layer in the rear and two thicknesses in the front to raise the front up and clear the barrel contact point. If your BBL channel clearance is good, you would use just one layer in both areas.

DSC03298.jpg

IMPORTANT: When you remove the release film from the tape, you need to lay a piece of paper over the tape before you put in the action; as you will glue the action to the stock if you don't. Trim the paper with a razor blade to fit the tape. I also oiled the action well in case a little oozes out around the paper.

When you put the action in the stock, DO NOT just start cranking down the action screws! The material will need time to fit itself to the action, so just snug them up and then, every 20 minutes or so, give them another 1/4 turn. After a few times, you will feel the material start to kind of bottom out, relax the screws about a 1/8 turn or so from that point, you want to leave a little cushion.

Mark the screws slot location at that point with a sharpie, you will not be torquing them any more, you will be putting them back to the same location, and the material will take care of the torque.

NOTE: With ANY gun or bedding, always place rearward pressure on the barreled action when tightening action screws, to make sure the action is seated against the recoil lug or shoulder.

If you remove the action from the stock for more than an hour or so, the tape will start to return to it's original, thicker state, so just SLOWLY tighten the action screws again back to your original marks.

Seems to work really well, and if you don't like it, just peel it out!

Brad