• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 6GT Project/Range Report

Resurrecting an older but, very interesting thread....

Trim 1.715 after first firing. Never trim it again. I use 105 hybrids and 109 hybrids with hornady brass. Both use 4350, 35.7gr and 36.0 gr respectively. Soft load in the low/mid 2800s for both bullets. Same as you, super accurate and very low recoil, and brass lasts 10 or more reloads. I run barrel tunners and set my bullets at .020 for the 105s and .050 for the 109s, and I never change seating depths again. SDs generally under 6. Case capacity of 44.6 after being fired a couple times. Your jump numbers dont seem crazy at all to me, and pushing the shoulder back .002 should be standard practice for PRS type shooting IMO. I also use the Berger 108 gr Elite Hunter loaded without even touching the die from my 109 load, and use 37gr RL16 to push it 2980s. Works very well on hogs and other similar sized game. Very accurate too.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the ballistics and velocity argument and the hit percentages ect. But consistency and ease of use is where I am at. I have a barrel now with 2600+ rounds on it and I just shot it in a match last weekend and placed very well. If the monkey behind the trigger was any better, there wouldn't be anything holding that barrel and load combo back from winning the match.

I'm simple. I like shooting. Reloading and load development? Not so much.

So I'm going to jump on the 6GT. Purchased alpha brass and probably going to put money on an MPA within the next week or so. I'm going to start trying to buy components so when I do get my rifle and optic I will be able to play. Hopefully.
Any recommendations on a die set.

So I'm going to jump on the 6GT. Purchased alpha brass and probably going to put money on an MPA within the next week or so. I'm going to start trying to buy components so when I do get my rifle and optic I will be able to play. Hopefully.
I have only used the RCBS MatchMaster dies but they have been phenomenal for me. Would definitely recommend them to anyone based on my results.

Just bought the Hornady from GAP. No issues.

I've been running the Hornady die 6.5cm and 300WM with good results. I've removed the expander balls and run an expander mandrel die. I also run the micrometer on my seating dies. I have been looking at the RCBS MatchMaster die and will check out GAP. Thanks for the input.

Has anyone tried the Hodgdon Superperformance? I've got a bunch so I might give it a go when I get everything together. It did well in my creedmoor. Screen shot shows load with a 105gr bullet.
Screenshot_20210523-124425_Chrome.jpg

SAC dies are expensive but I've been very impressed.

Do you know if there is a reamer print available or is it currently kept in-house at PTG with Dave Kiff? Keen to try this in Australia but there's a few moving parts involved such as ordering a reamer, brass, dies etc. Do you know if the brass design is finalised in terms of it's overall dimensions?
How’s you get on? Did you go ahead as planned? If so who is doing the barrelling and chambering in Australia? Thanks, S.

I've got a reamer and dies, just waiting on Alpha brass to clear Brisbane customs...this has taken more time than it should have but I should have one up and running next year.
Nice. Did you buy the brass directly from the US? How much was it if you don’t mind me asking? Also are you going to hang onto the reamers or wish to sell them afterwards? I’ve got some on order but estimated arrival not for 14-16 weeks!! That’s put a spanner in my works!

Nice. Did you buy the brass directly from the US? How much was it if you don’t mind me asking? Also are you going to hang onto the reamers or wish to sell them afterwards? I’ve got some on order but estimated arrival not for 14-16 weeks!! That’s put a spanner in my works!
3GT have a decent shipment of 6GT and a smaller shipment of 6 Dasher sitting in customs - it's taken so long to get it their import paperwork expired. Brass will be around $350 per hundred...

Reactions: ReplicaSnipers
I will post a step by step of the 47 Lap brass to 6GT at some stage, but for anyone with any reloading nous at all it is very simple. Not to mention half the price. 47 brass is completely cleaned at 13 thou. Leaves you with a 269 loaded round. I would die losing brass at $3.50 a piece...

After going through the bushing die and before trimming.

Attachments

• D15902A4-C6FB-497A-84D3-C62BC00EFBF7.jpeg
    D15902A4-C6FB-497A-84D3-C62BC00EFBF7.jpeg
    543.2 KB · Views: 85
Man this thread was 18 pages hot the first year then nothing...
I'm really interested in some updates now that Lapua announced GT brass.

Are those of you who've been shooting the GT getting barrel life significantly better than a 6 creed, or comparable to initial claims??

Is there a tangible benefit going with the GT over a BRA shooting 110-115s in longer distance matches here in the west?

Reactions: sierracharlie338
I've been using one since late 2019, love the cartridge and I have been getting 3000+ on my barrels. The first barrel went to 3600 round before it had a sudden change in POI and drop in velocity but looking back I think it was starting to show signs at 3200 as I had a few shots drop here and there that were unexplained misses. My other three I have taken off once they hit 2900-3000 range. They are sitting in reserve for training use to finish out their life. That said, I am running the 6GT slower than most, pushing 108's,109's and 110's in the 2830-2850fps range.

I've been considering moving to 6mm BR or BRA now that more reliable mags are available but the cost of brass, dies and having Barrels chambered ready to go have kept me with the GT for now. At the speeds I am running I have not had any issues with brass primer pockets in either Hornady or Alpha.

I'm currently running 32 grains of Varget under a 108 Elite Hunter jumping .060" from Alpha brass on its tenth firing pictured below. This barrel has about 2300 rounds on it when this was recorded and has tended to be a faster than usual barrel, other barrels required a half to full grain more powder to reach this speed. It's a proof barrel and I suspect it has a tighter bore than the Benchmark's and Bartlien's I have used in the past.
20240109_173840.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using one since late 2019, love the cartridge and I have been getting 3000+ on my barrels. The first barrel went to 3600 round before it had a sudden change in POI and drop in velocity but looking back I think it was starting to show signs at 3200 as I had a few shots drop here and there that were unexplained misses. My other three I have taken off once they hit 2900-3000 range. They are sitting in reserve for training use to finish out their life. That said, I am running the 6GT slower than most, pushing 108's,109's and 110's in the 2830-2850fps range.

I've been considering moving to 6mm BR or BRA now that more reliable mags are available but the cost of brass, dies and having Barrels chambered ready to go have kept me with the GT for now. At the speeds I am running I have not had any issues with brass primer pockets in either Hornady or Alpha.

I'm currently running 32 grains of Varget under a 108 Elite Hunter jumping .060" from Alpha brass on its tenth firing pictured below. This barrel has about 2300 rounds on it when this was recorded and has tended to be a faster than usual barrel, other barrels required a half to full grain more powder to reach this speed. It's a proof barrel and I suspect it has a tighter bore than the Benchmark's and Bartlien's I have used in the past. View attachment 8325410
That's impressive! Thanks for the input.
You're already getting BR barrel life so why would you even consider changing things up?

Best part of GT over BRA is not fire forming Lapua 6BR brass and it will feed better.

The GT is a good round. IMO 6GT if you want a little more speed or STRAIGHT 6BR if not.
I’ve been shooting it since 2019. Average barrel life has been roughly 3500 rounds +/- a hundred or so. Lapua will be interesting but I switched to the Alpha over the Hornady a few years ago and have been please. Nothing wrong with the Hornady. I had some of the first batches and think I had 10 or so for rings on them. Made it through 2 barrels. The Alpha is a little thicker brass similar to how Lapua is and has been holding up better. I’m not going to run right out and switch to Lapua the minute it drops but may look at grabbing a bunch later on when I swap out my barrel again. As far as the difference with GT over BR is not having to fire form brass and no feeding issues.

I’ve been shooting it since 2019. Average barrel life has been roughly 3500 rounds +/- a hundred or so. Lapua will be interesting but I switched to the Alpha over the Hornady a few years ago and have been please. Nothing wrong with the Hornady. I had some of the first batches and think I had 10 or so for rings on them. Made it through 2 barrels. The Alpha is a little thicker brass similar to how Lapua is and has been holding up better. I’m not going to run right out and switch to Lapua the minute it drops but may look at grabbing a bunch later on when I swap out my barrel again. As far as the difference with GT over BR is not having to fire form brass and no feeding issues.
That's also fantastic barrel life, are you running lower pressure loads as well? Do you mind sharing your powder bullet combo

Reactions: sierracharlie338
That's also fantastic barrel life, are you running lower pressure loads as well? Do you mind sharing your powder bullet combo
I've been shooting the GT for a little over three years now. My barrel life has been very similar to what has already been reported; 3000+ on first barrel (lots of different load development done on this one), 3200+ on next two going about 2835 with 105's. I just got a 400ModBB spun up and very curious to see how that does. Sorry don't have enough data to share on that one. I have only shoot Bartlein and Benchmark barrels 26".
I don't have extensive experience with BR or BRA. I will give the GT another plus for working well with several different powders. Here is what has worked for me:

4166 32.4 105's 2815fps, consistent SD around 4, 20 shot string, I used this powder when I couldn't find anything else, worked great, doesn't get talked about much around here

Varget 33.0 105's 2840fps, SD's around 5, 20 shot string

RL16 37.3 112MB 2910fps SD's around 3.5, 20 shot string, This have been a fantastic load. I don't use it as much as I used to for a couple reasons. First I had issues with carbon rings. I solved this by cleaning more often and doing a better cleaning job (time consuming). Next I have two identical rifles both cambered in 6GT. My thinking was one for matches (whatever barrel shoots best) and one for training. Sadly my local range has had issues with 'Fish and Game' who has administrative authority over land use. They shut down our long range portion of range (1000y to 1450y). I won't get in to the issue but typical BS. So we still have a great range but our max distance is now 950y. At 950y I really don't need a 112 going 2910, it's overkill. The 105's more than do all I need. I want both rifles to be set up exactly the same. If I'm shooting two different loads in each rifle it defeats the purpose.

H4350 36.5 112MB 2900fps SD's around 5.

105's I jump .040 and 112's .060
As for brass, early on I used Hornady. Worked great no issues, got 10-12 firings. Now still using alpha OCD 'gay tiger' head stamp. I bought 600 pieces, 400 have 8 firings and 200 have 16 firings. Primer pocket all tight as day I bought brass. I anneal after firing. Not sure how much longer I will go with the 16's but close inspection looks good. Hornady pockets got loose at 10-12, haven't experienced that with alpha.

I've been shooting the GT for a little over three years now. My barrel life has been very similar to what has already been reported; 3000+ on first barrel (lots of different load development done on this one), 3200+ on next two going about 2835 with 105's. I just got a 400ModBB spun up and very curious to see how that does. Sorry don't have enough data to share on that one. I have only shoot Bartlein and Benchmark barrels 26".
I don't have extensive experience with BR or BRA. I will give the GT another plus for working well with several different powders. Here is what has worked for me:

4166 32.4 105's 2815fps, consistent SD around 4, 20 shot string, I used this powder when I couldn't find anything else, worked great, doesn't get talked about much around here

Varget 33.0 105's 2840fps, SD's around 5, 20 shot string

RL16 37.3 112MB 2910fps SD's around 3.5, 20 shot string, This have been a fantastic load. I don't use it as much as I used to for a couple reasons. First I had issues with carbon rings. I solved this by cleaning more often and doing a better cleaning job (time consuming). Next I have two identical rifles both cambered in 6GT. My thinking was one for matches (whatever barrel shoots best) and one for training. Sadly my local range has had issues with 'Fish and Game' who has administrative authority over land use. They shut down our long range portion of range (1000y to 1450y). I won't get in to the issue but typical BS. So we still have a great range but our max distance is now 950y. At 950y I really don't need a 112 going 2910, it's overkill. The 105's more than do all I need. I want both rifles to be set up exactly the same. If I'm shooting two different loads in each rifle it defeats the purpose.

H4350 36.5 112MB 2900fps SD's around 5.

105's I jump .040 and 112's .060
As for brass, early on I used Hornady. Worked great no issues, got 10-12 firings. Now still using alpha OCD 'gay tiger' head stamp. I bought 600 pieces, 400 have 8 firings and 200 have 16 firings. Primer pocket all tight as day I bought brass. I anneal after firing. Not sure how much longer I will go with the 16's but close inspection looks good. Hornady pockets got loose at 10-12, haven't experienced that with alpha.
Man that's some great input, I appreciate all the details.
I'm not far into my creed so I'm in no hurry, but I'll gather some Lapua brass and have a GT barrel ready to go when she quits on me.

Reactions: Darkside-Six