Range Report  6GT Project/Range Report

sleeplz

Private
Minuteman
  • May 12, 2017
    Changed out barrels to prepare for k&m kahles match. Elemental industries of TN spun me a bartlein barrel in less than a week and it's doin alright.

Attachments

• 20200521_162700.jpg
      20200521_162700.jpg
      334.5 KB · Views: 111

Darkside-Six

My Dixie Wrecked
    Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2013
    Lol. The only FB group I’d pay attention to is the original 6GT group that has George Gardner and Tom Jacobs I’m as well as many too PRS shooters. Some really good info posted on there with little bullshit. As far as being “finicky” to load for, I think that’s a load of shit. I had to get a new barrel on mine because the first one had a groove in the chamber from a chip on the reamer. Shot 5 round groups every .1 grains with Varget and had a .7 grain spread that ever group was below a 6 SD and they all grouped great. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Niles Coyote

Kadams1563

Giver of Bad Advice
    Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017
    I can’t find that group anymore. I knew I was a member in it but now it’s disappeared for me.

JustSendit

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Sep 21, 2019
    Impact Bartlin 26” barrel
    105 Bergers
    35 thou off lands
    35.0gr varget
    Fed small rifle primers
    mv 3020
    Hornady Brass
    sd 5, ties knots

I started with that, and I could no do anything wrong I messed around seating between 10thou and 70thou and it just worked all the time. Settled a little deeper than 20, seemed to be the sweet spot.

After 400rds, and a recent match, I had a little increased velocity and also some extractor swipes, primers flattening a little bit.

Backing down to 34.5 for summer, just looking for that 3015 spot, no need to push too much more.

6GT has been simply one of the easiest most forgiving rounds I’ve loaded for. Granted that’s with one barrel, we’ll see how the next one goes.

Last edited:

Jake the dog

Private
    Minuteman
    May 9, 2017
    Savannah, GA
    Impact Bartlin 26” barrel
    35 thou off lands
    35.0gr varget
    3020fps
    Hornady Brass
    sd 5, ties knots

I started with that, and I could no do anything wrong I messed around seating between 10thou and 70thou and it just worked all the time. Settled a little deeper than 20, seemed to be the sweet spot.

After 400rds, and a recent match, I had a little increased velocity and also some primer swipes.

Backing down to 34.8 for summer, still getting just a hair over 3000fps.

6GT has been simply one of the easiest most forgiving rounds I’ve loaded for. Granted that’s with one barrel, we’ll see how the next one goes.

What bullet and weight? Still waiting on a barrel, but might put together 50 rounds for break in, I have 109 Bergers.

JustSendit

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Sep 21, 2019
    What bullet and weight? Still waiting on a barrel, but might put together 50 rounds for break in, I have 109 Bergers.
    Whoops that ought to have been included, my mistake.

Berger 105s strongly considering trying 109s next.

I have it out today still getting 3040 with 34.8, I’m knocking that back a bit, still seeing some pressure signs too. Considering 34.5 next batch of virgin Hornady.

Last edited:

Darkside-Six

My Dixie Wrecked
    Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2013
    I must have been blocked or banned for some reason. I cannot find it.

I didn’t even do anything but give George money lol wtf.

Kadams1563

Giver of Bad Advice
    Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017

yup it just loads and loads. Will not pull the page up.

Wonder who the mods are so I can message them and see what’s going on.

The only thing I ever asked was about a reamer and when GAP would get stuff back in stock. If I was banned I would like to know why or what happened.

I just stopped seeing post about the GT one day and was like why can’t I find the group. Thought maybe I went crazy.

Dumptruck01

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Aug 10, 2019
    Raleigh NC
    Anyone else have mag feed problems. Mine will will want to nose dive every now and then. Pain in my ass. Impact, foundation and Hawkins bottom metal.

Dumptruck01

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Aug 10, 2019
    Raleigh NC
    Hell I bought 2 new mags Samething. I can load all the rounds about .200 forward and they feed like butter. I was thinking about making an insert to keep them pushing back.

B-P-UU

Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017
    Soft case head in some batches is the general consensus among several who have looked at it. Without hardness tests no way to verify.

Dies are sizing properly. Hornady factory brass and formed lapua works fine.
    Did Alpha work with you at all? Refund?

I think mine is soft as well.

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Did Alpha work with you at all? Refund?

I think mine is soft as well.

The couple times I mentioned it on FB groups they are part of, they blamed it on anything an everything you can imagine. So, I didn’t reach out to them privately about it, so I’m not sure how they would handle it that want. Wasn’t impressed with public response. Won’t be using alpha for any brass going forward. Had issues with dasher brass as well.

Hornady factory brass and my own lapua 6gt work fine.

• Sad
    Reactions: Changed

Darkside-Six

My Dixie Wrecked
    Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2013
    yup it just loads and loads. Will not pull the page up.

Wonder who the mods are so I can message them and see what’s going on.

The only thing I ever asked was about a reamer and when GAP would get stuff back in stock. If I was banned I would like to know why or what happened.

I just stopped seeing post about the GT one day and was like why can’t I find the group. Thought maybe I went crazy.
    George Gardner, Ken Lin, and Tom Jacobs are the admins. maybe message them.

killer-e

Private
    Minuteman
    Jul 31, 2010
    odell nebraska
    Does anybody have a load for 95 grain bullets with their GT.? I purchased some patriot Valley 95 green Seneca competition bullets. Just looking for a place to start. Been running the burger 105 hybrid with 34 grains of varget at 2950 FPS. May start with 33 grains of varget thoughts

Jake the dog

Private
    Minuteman
    May 9, 2017
    Savannah, GA
    My barrel is finally ready. I stopped by today to check and they were just waiting on Cooper Creek to deliver some test ammo. I had 50 rounds loaded in the car just in case, so dropped them off. They won't chamber. I must have read the reamer print wrong, because I thought i had 40 to the lands. I have new Alpha brass and 109 Bergers. Could some of you nice folks tell me what your CBTO and COAL is with the 109's? I need to reseat and would like to do it once.
    Thanks to all, can't beat this place for good information.

aauya

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 17, 2017
    My barrel is finally ready. I stopped by today to check and they were just waiting on Cooper Creek to deliver some test ammo. I had 50 rounds loaded in the car just in case, so dropped them off. They won't chamber. I must have read the reamer print wrong, because I thought i had 40 to the lands. I have new Alpha brass and 109 Bergers. Could some of you nice folks tell me what your CBTO and COAL is with the 109's? I need to reseat and would like to do it once.
    Thanks to all, can't beat this place for good information.
    Mine are 1.950 cbto 2.575 col .030 jump
    With the berger 109 hyb

Jake the dog

Private
    Minuteman
    May 9, 2017
    Savannah, GA
    Yep, I'm long. I dont have my load card, it's with the smith, but I think I was around 2.65 COAL. A few minutes on the Rock Chucker will take care of that.

Thanks a lot.

Reactions: aauya

xocyrusx

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
  • Oct 30, 2019
    Pasco County, FL
    Hello All... Excited to join the party!!! This is my 6GT and my first bolt rifle. Only been reloading since Christmas. 40% of these are below 10 SD and This is only shots 26 through 100 through a new barrel, brass and rifle. Can’t ask for more...

Attachments

• 7951D2C0-FF26-46AC-87F0-89AD75C657A2.jpeg
      7951D2C0-FF26-46AC-87F0-89AD75C657A2.jpeg
      372.1 KB · Views: 103

Darkside-Six

My Dixie Wrecked
    Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2013
    Hello All... Excited to join the party!!! This is my 6GT and my first bolt rifle. Only been reloading since Christmas. 40% of these are below 10 SD and This is only shots 26 through 100 through a new barrel, brass and rifle. Can’t ask for more...
    Nice. What bullet, powered and brass are you using?

Darkside-Six

My Dixie Wrecked
    Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2013
    thank you. Berger 105s Staball, H4350 and Varget tested.Best SDs are in the 2925 to 2975 FPS range. This is brand new Hornady brass with CCI450
    Ok. With Hornady brass and CCI 450 many shooters have found a load right at 34.5 Varget. Try between 34.3-34.7. For me it was 34.6 for both 105 hybrids and 110 A-Tips, and 34.5 for the 109 hybrids.

xocyrusx

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
  • Oct 30, 2019
    Pasco County, FL
    Ok. With Hornady brass and CCI 450 many shooters have found a load right at 34.5 Varget. Try between 34.3-34.7. For me it was 34.6 for both 105 hybrids and 110 A-Tips, and 34.5 for the 109 hybrids.

That’s .1 off a good Varget load for me... still need to explore more...

Attachments

• 1E1F54B2-D3B5-4F79-AF3E-CA1E8E22AD72.jpeg
      1E1F54B2-D3B5-4F79-AF3E-CA1E8E22AD72.jpeg
      166.6 KB · Views: 72

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    That’s .1 off a good Varget load for me... still need to explore more...

Run them again once barrel is done speeding up. The numbers are two inconsistent on either side of 34.4 at the moment.

cro789

Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Dec 20, 2008
    TN
    Looking at getting into 6gt and I am thinking about trying it in my Desert Tech. Has anyone tried that yet and if so what kind of problems will I run into?

RoterJager

The Red Hunter
    Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    The Frozen Tundra
    The couple times I mentioned it on FB groups they are part of, they blamed it on anything an everything you can imagine. So, I didn’t reach out to them privately about it, so I’m not sure how they would handle it that want. Wasn’t impressed with public response. Won’t be using alpha for any brass going forward. Had issues with dasher brass as well.

Hornady factory brass and my own lapua 6gt work fine.

Same here. Blamed it on everything under the sun. I had the same experience with multiple calibers. Definitely going to run hornady

Davehc130

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 11, 2013
    So I jumped into the 6GT game...I have a Krieger standard palma 1:7.5 twist... not sure what reamer they used, but it is much longer than what everyone here seems to be running....with the Berger 105s I am getting 2.014 BTO touching the lands...seems most everyone else is around 1.95 - 1.98.... does this seem like the throat is too long?

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    So I jumped into the 6GT game...I have a Krieger standard palma 1:7.5 twist... not sure what reamer they used, but it is much longer than what everyone here seems to be running....with the Berger 105s I am getting 2.014 BTO touching the lands...seems most everyone else is around 1.95 - 1.98.... does this seem like the throat is too long?

BTO measurements are too varied from tool to tool.

OAL is much more indicative of a proper comparison.

Reactions: Changed

Davehc130

Private
    Minuteman
    Oct 11, 2013
    BTO measurements are too varied from tool to tool.

OAL is much more indicative of a proper comparison.

Well I have a buddys gun here too and his BTO with same gages are in line with most on here @ 1.98 with the BERGER 105s
    2.603 is my ave OAL

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
    Staff member
    Supporter
    Commercial Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2018
    South Texas
    Well I have a buddys gun here too and his BTO with same gages are in line with most on here @ 1.98 with the BERGER 105s
    2.603 is my ave OAL

Might have a long throat as long as you’re measuring chamber correctly. I’d contact smith and get reamer print.

47guy

Private
    Banned !
    Minuteman
    Jul 15, 2017
    reno,nevada
    2.603 is my ave OAL

just start about .060 jump and go from there...ive seen 4 BRAs shoot great from .060 to .085 off the lands the last couple months.

Reactions: tob5

JustSendit

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Sep 21, 2019
    Around 800 in and 34.6 varget is the sweet spot, consistent 3020MV on my 26” barrel. Buddy won a match with that same load on a 28” barrel, he’s sitting about 10FPS faster. I’m settling in on chasing .030” off, after every match I just bump out a couple of thou and that has treated me well so far.

How many firings you guys getting out of your Hornady brass? I’m sitting on a pile of 2x.Looks like they’re definitely good for more.

reubenski

First Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Around 800 in and 34.6 varget is the sweet spot, consistent 3020MV on my 26” barrel. Buddy won a match with that same load on a 28” barrel, he’s sitting about 10FPS faster. I’m settling in on chasing .030” off, after every match I just bump out a couple of thou and that has treated me well so far.

How many firings you guys getting out of your Hornady brass? I’m sitting on a pile of 2x.Looks like they’re definitely good for more.
    Why didn't you win a match with that load? 😁

Darkside-Six

My Dixie Wrecked
    Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2013

i'm 3 times through on most of mine and they're still fine. haven't even grown that much to were i need to trim them yet.

Reactions: JustSendit

RoterJager

The Red Hunter
    Minuteman
  • Oct 21, 2013
    The Frozen Tundra
    I have to admit, I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with the GT. Between two barrels, one an Impact pre-fit and one a Bartlein chambered using their JGS reamer, I can't get anywhere close to the velocities people are claiming with 109s. Virgin Alpha, doesn't matter. Virgin Hornady, doesn't matter. Once fired Hornady? Nope. Once I start getting up past 2900 with 4350 or Varget, I get heavy bolt lift and other pressure signs. Might as well just run a BR.

kindabitey

See, nobody cares
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Feb 13, 2017
    I have to admit, I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with the GT. Between two barrels, one an Impact pre-fit and one a Bartlein chambered using their JGS reamer, I can't get anywhere close to the velocities people are claiming with 109s. Virgin Alpha, doesn't matter. Virgin Hornady, doesn't matter. Once fired Hornady? Nope. Once I start getting up past 2900 with 4350 or Varget, I get heavy bolt lift and other pressure signs. Might as well just run a BR.
    How many rounds on the barrels? I've had better luck with RL16 than Varget or 4350.