• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6gt

Finally got to shoot my 6GT build. Impact Precision action, Proof competition contour barrel blank, and MDT ACC chassis. I had a local competitor/gunsmith/machinist spin up the barrel and ended up with 27” barrel.

Shot the first 40 rnds today, first 10 or so were break-in/zero. The next 30 were getting acquainted at various distances from 100 to 550 yds. I had a magneto speed on it for the first 20 rnds. All 40 rnds were Hornady factory 109 gr ELD-M’s.

Max velocity: 2,944
Min velocity: 2,916
Average velocity: 2,928
SD: 11.2 (not bad for factory ammo I suppose)

My plan going forward is finish shooting the rest of the Hornady factory ammo I bought for break-in and the getting-to-know-you phase, then start working up a load. I’ve got a wad of H4350 powder, CCI SR primers, my once fired brass (see how long the Hornady brass lasts…), and a supply of 108 gr ELD-Ms.

I purchased the Hornady dies that GAP sells, but also bought a Mighty Armory decapping die and 21st Century mandrel die. Thinking I’ll decap, tumble, FL size (with the expander ball removed), then size the neck with the mandrel die. Chamfer/debur, clean the primer pockets, then prime.

See anything I should be thinking about?

FWIW, I’ve loaded a barrel’s worth of 6.5CM and also for various hunting calibers over the year. With the 6.5CM, I’ve been mainly neck sizing with a Forster bump die and bushing. The 6GT is the first rifle caliber I’m going to try breaking the brass prep down into decap/FL size/mandrel size the neck.
Nice rig! I like the magnifier (what brand?) and the wrap on that Burris. I'm looking at that same scope, what height are the rings?

You should be just fine with H4350 and the 108 ELD-Ms, especially since it shoots the factory ammo so well. And your process sounds spot on.

I am up to 6 firings of Hornady brass with no issues. Mostly 33.5 of Varget behind 105 grainers (~2950 fps), but also 36.5 of RL-16 behind 112 MBs (~2900 fps). I anneal every 3-4 firings.

Keep us posted!

Reactions: HEY_Jack and ECK
Nice rig! I like the magnifier (what brand?) and the wrap on that Burris. I'm looking at that same scope, what height are the rings?

You should be just fine with H4350 and the 108 ELD-Ms, especially since it shoots the factory ammo so well. And your process sounds spot on.

I am up to 6 firings of Hornady brass with no issues. Mostly 33.5 of Varget behind 105 grainers (~2950 fps), but also 36.5 of RL-16 behind 112 MBs (~2900 fps). I anneal every 3-4 firings.

Keep us posted!
Thanks! This is my first custom build, coming off of a fairly stock RPR. I shot some barricade drills yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how well this new gun balances and the added weight reduces the wobble zone without having to use a tripod for rear support.

MK Machining makes the turret magnifier -tho to be honest the numbers on the Burris are pretty decent size compared to my older scope. The wrap is KT tape from Amazon. Rings are 1” Burris XTR Signature rings (34mm). Same scope and setup on my rimfire rifle, and I really like the SCR2 reticle -enough info to be useful but not too much for it to be cluttered.

Confession time, one of the reasons I went with 6GT was bc I had a bunch of H4350. For a while I was contemplating 6BR but would have had to go on the hunt for powders I don’t have (i.e. Varget).

When I was loading 6.5CM I was annealing each time so figured I’d do the same with the GT. I’m retired, so time is not a factor…
4459AA17-7A17-4D1C-9112-89E8BC7B12F9.jpeg

Who is spinning up the barrels for you? My next comp barrel i want a longer freebore, and i was thinking of having a carbon 6gt barrel spun up, was thinking it would be a sweet deer rifle.

Great mimds think alike...I just put this together the other day. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on the MDT HNT chassis/stock and some lower height rings I ordered. I threw it in my PRS chassis today so I could break in the barrel and satisfy an itch that had to be scratched.

Im using a 22" proof carbon barrel. I was shooting some of my left over 109 berger loads from PRS rig and it shoots 1/2 MOA with those straight out the gate. Velocity was around 2740fps, compared 2860 out of my broken in 6GT PRS gun with 27" barrel. It didnt like the 112MB load from the same gun.

Tried some 95gr Barnes LRX solids I intend to hunt with and loaded them with 6.5 Staball. Those were around 3130FPS before showing signs of pressure. They also were about 1/2 MOA.

Thinking with alpha brass and a broken in barrel I should be able to get close to 3200 FPS with that 95gr solid. Should work fine on anything I will ever see around here. I will say, at 22", the 6gt has some bark with a muzzle brake.

20221001_154459.jpg

20221002_173946.jpg

First ten rounds on the barrel.
20221002_174044.jpg

Typical group , no load development yet.

Anyone running RCBS matchmaster dies and notice a wide donut after resizing?
I've adjusted my bushing as far down as possible.
Rifle shoots great, im only curious if others are experiencing this?
20221008_113058.jpg
20221008_112638.jpg

View attachment 7972647View attachment 7972645
I used that particular die, no issues whatsoever. 267 bushing, no expander, no mandrel. I never found donut, not marks on neck like that. Clearly what's causing that to happen is bushing related. You screwed the bushing stem all the way down till bottomed out against the bushing, then reversed 1/8th a turn before locking? I've since switched to a bullet central micron die, piece of art.

I used that particular die, no issues whatsoever. 267 bushing, no expander, no mandrel. I never found donut, not marks on neck like that. Clearly what's causing that to happen is bushing related. You screwed the bushing stem all the way down till bottomed out against the bushing, then reversed 1/8th a turn before locking? I've since switched to a bullet central micron die, piece of art.
You are spot on! I needed to adjust the bushing stem further down, stupid mistake on my part!
Thanks for the help fellas!

Reactions: 4O6shootist
View attachment 7972647View attachment 7972645
Yes and I have the bushing adjustment screwed all the way down except a 1/16 of a turn. I also cam over and I also start to see this on SAC dies after 10 firings.
5C08245B-AC39-459F-BBB7-01CF71EC63D7.png

Reactions: Vandoogle13
Anyone here using 6GT with lighter bullets in the 95gr range?

I just picked up some 6.5 StaBall to try in a 6GT I'm building for being a handy/hunting rifle. I plan on shooting the Barnes 95gr LRX solids in it out of a proof 22" carbon barrel.

According to the data on Hogdon's website, I should be able to get around 3200 FPS. (Assuming normal loss in speed from the 24" test barrel used for their data) This seems a bit high out of a 22" barrel IMO, but with alpha brass and a gun that won't be shot much, I'm going to run it as hard as I can.

I know, I'm better going with a 6CM or 6.5CM for hunting, but I really like the GT and if I can push a 95gr 3200FPS, it will take care of everything I need it to. It will also most likely shoot my match ammo from my other guns pretty well too, which means one less thing to load for.
South FL,
I have ran some of the 88grn Hammer Hunters in a 7 twist 22" Osprey barrel with staBall6.5. They were running pretty hot. But man did they do awesome on deer. The doe my son shot for youth season was shot at 96yds full broadside, it hit, made soup out of the chest cavity and exited on the offside with a hole the size of my thumb and two other holes a couple inches apart I could stick my index finger through. Essentially looked like a bowling ball configuration.

What I did was use the manuals 95grn load and worked up because no one is publishing data for the 88s. You can go above max on the 95s to get the 88s to a decent velocity.

Hope this helps.
Xdeano

Reactions: S3th
South FL,
I have ran some of the 88grn Hammer Hunters in a 7 twist 22" Osprey barrel with staBall6.5. They were running pretty hot. But man did they do awesome on deer. The doe my son shot for youth season was shot at 96yds full broadside, it hit, made soup out of the chest cavity and exited on the offside with a hole the size of my thumb and two other holes a couple inches apart I could stick my index finger through. Essentially looked like a bowling ball configuration.

What I did was use the manuals 95grn load and worked up because no one is publishing data for the 88s. You can go above max on the 95s to get the 88s to a decent velocity.

Hope this helps.
Xdeano
Thanks for the info.

I got a bunch of 95gr Barnes LRX bullets, but they just don't shoot consistent enough for me. I was using staball and pressured out around 3140 in a 22" barrel.

I had some 108gr EOL berger rounds I loaded up awhile ago and decided to just try that load and see how it shoots. It shoots REALLY well. 37gr of RL16, 108gr EOL Berger, 2860fps in a 22" barrel.
20221009_125043.jpg

I really wanted to get a monolithic bullet to work well in this setup, but it's hard to walk away from that load with such a high BC hunting bullet. Plus I can get a bunch of them.

I may get some of the Hammer Hunters to try as well. It would be nice to have two options that shoot well in this caliber.

Thanks for the info.

I got a bunch of 95gr Barnes LRX bullets, but they just don't shoot consistent enough for me. I was using staball and pressured out around 3140 in a 22" barrel.

I had some 108gr EOL berger rounds I loaded up awhile ago and decided to just try that load and see how it shoots. It shoots REALLY well. 37gr of RL16, 108gr EOL Berger, 2860fps in a 22" barrel.
View attachment 7974979

I really wanted to get a monolithic bullet to work well in this setup, but it's hard to walk away from that load with such a high BC hunting bullet. Plus I can get a bunch of them.

I may get some of the Hammer Hunters to try as well. It would be nice to have two options that shoot well in this caliber.
Check out badlands precision aluminum tipped solids. The bulldozer is their hunting line.

My new GT barrel has 160 rnds of factory ammo thru it and my velocities seemed to have stabilized as of the last 20 rnds fired. So this morning I shot two 10-shot strings (Satterlee’s method) and got the following velocities (Magneto Speed V3) with a starting load of 34.6 gr and ending at 36.4 gr of H4350 w/ Hornady 108 ELDMs. Seated the bullets to the same CBTO as Hornady 109 gr ELDM factory ammo, which if I measured right is a .035” jump.

I cleaned my barrel right after the last session and forgot to bring any extra rounds with me to foul the barrel prior to starting the test. So string 1 was shot thru a clean barrel (which I suppose explains the jump in velocity between shots 1 and 2). That being the case I’m looking more at the two potential nodes in string 2 (circled below).

Debating if I should load up a 3rd string and do another test as a comparison -or- just commit to one of the nodes in String 2. Thinking I’d go with the lower node to start with if I did that, and also load some at .050” and .070” jump.

Intended purpose of these rounds is PRS and LR Varmint matches.

Thoughts?

317425A1-5D6C-4C85-BCA2-3DDD55092669.jpeg

My new GT barrel has 160 rnds of factory ammo thru it and my velocities seemed to have stabilized as of the last 20 rnds fired. So this morning I shot two 10-shot strings (Satterlee’s method) and got the following velocities (Magneto Speed V3) with a starting load of 34.6 gr and ending at 36.4 gr of H4350 w/ Hornady 108 ELDMs. Seated the bullets to the same CBTO as Hornady 109 gr ELDM factory ammo, which if I measured right is a .035” jump.

I cleaned my barrel right after the last session and forgot to bring any extra rounds with me to foul the barrel prior to starting the test. So string 1 was shot thru a clean barrel (which I suppose explains the jump in velocity between shots 1 and 2). That being the case I’m looking more at the two potential nodes in string 2 (circled below).

Debating if I should load up a 3rd string and do another test as a comparison -or- just commit to one of the nodes in String 2. Thinking I’d go with the lower node to start with if I did that, and also load some at .050” and .070” jump.

Intended purpose of these rounds is PRS and LR Varmint matches.

Thoughts?

View attachment 7975263
I have had gone through 4 barrels now, and every single one them was most stable between 2860-2890 with 109 Bergers. H4350 and just over 36 grains of powder. (26" barrels)

That node is a great node for barrel life, a little less snappy recoil and your brass will last longer as well. You could run the lower speed node, but IMO, you may as well shoot a BR. There's no real benefit to shooting the lower node with the 6GT.

I have almost stopped doing load development for my PRS guns. Usually one of the loads from my previous barrels gets me really close, and I fine tune from there. I'd rather use the first 100 or so rounds to practice positional with an old load, and then worry about refining the load if I even have to once I know the barrel is done breaking in.

I think I found my load! Picked one of my nodes from the 10-shot test the day before (went with the lower one as I was thinking my barrel might pick up some speed as I hit 200 rnds, and it did -that group chrono’d at 2,843 fps) and loaded up various seating depths with jumps from .030”, .050”, to .070”. Group with .070” is pictured below.

FWIW, I self-admittedly suck at shooting groups. Might have the first three touching then I always shank #4 or #5. But not this time. Had one other one hole group out of that batch, so gonna give props to the rifle/chassis and the guy who spun up the barrel.

71D700BA-30E6-4B46-BF2E-4F0D4776771F.jpeg

76B74EE7-E081-4D4D-B9DF-8CFB2A5E4D7A.jpeg

Now to load up 100 rnds and hit the range and get dope out as far as the range offers (900-1,000 ish).

Check out badlands precision aluminum tipped solids. The bulldozer is their hunting line.
They have a good bullet too. Just wished the offered a 90grn bullet. They have an 80 and 100grn. I just barely meet the twist for the 100grn with a 7 twist. I might have to try them at some point.

Deano

Whats everyone running for primers now a days? I have been running remington 7 1/2 mag primers but I'm running. A bit low. I see guys are running the 450. Are guys having better luck with a standard Small Rifle primer or a Mag. I know in some of my magnum cartridges I get better es/SD with a standard. I'm running either varget or staball6.5. Thanks guys!
Deano

Whats everyone running for primers now a days? I have been running remington 7 1/2 mag primers but I'm running. A bit low. I see guys are running the 450. Are guys having better luck with a standard Small Rifle primer or a Mag. I know in some of my magnum cartridges I get better es/SD with a standard. I'm running either varget or staball6.5. Thanks guys!
Deano
Staball, being a ball powder, id recommended 450s. Varget will give consistent ignition with standard or magnum. I run cci450 in all my srp cases: br, bra, gt & creeds. Only problem I've had is 450s getting 100% reliable ignition in my 22 creed with rl26 in freezing temps, have observed a few hang fires.

Staball, being a ball powder, id recommended 450s. Varget will give consistent ignition with standard or magnum. I run cci450 in all my srp cases: br, bra, gt & creeds. Only problem I've had is 450s getting 100% reliable ignition in my 22 creed with rl26 in freezing temps, have observed a few hang fires.
Good to know! Thank you sir!

26" Bartlein M24, 1:7.5" twist @ 490 rounds:
Berger 105 gr Hybrid
CCI 450
Alpha OCD Brass (1x fired)
+/-0.040" jump
36.7 gr H4350
Ave MV: 2,952
ES: 17
SD: 5.5
Groups 0.3" to 0.5" @ 100 yards

So far this is the most consistent load I've found for this barrel or my previous barrel.

Reactions: ECK
Just ran a ladder on some 88gr Hammer Hunters.

Using varget, started at 32gr and went in .3 gr increments.

Ran up to a little over 3100fps before hitting pressure.

Big flat spot in velocity from 2975-3000. 32.9gr- 33.5gr all were within 25FPS and the groups were half MOA or less.

22" proof carbon barrel, 7.5 twist, everything was shot .030" jump. New Alpha OCD brass
20221023_123648~2.jpg

Last edited:
Just ran a ladder on some 88gr Hammer Hunters.

Using varget, started at 32gr and went in .3 gr increments.

Ran up to a little over 3100fps before hitting pressure.

Big flat spot in velocity from 2975-3000. 32.9gr- 33.5gr all were within 25FPS and the groups were half MOA or less.

22" proof carbon barrel, 7.5 twist, everything was shot .030" jump. New Alpha OCD brassView attachment 7982202

If you want more velocity try StaBall6.5. I loaded some of the 88 Hammers up in my son's 6GT, 24" barrel and it was zooming!

Deano

If you want more velocity try StaBall6.5. I loaded some of the 88 Hammers up in my son's 6GT, 24" barrel and it was zooming!

Deano
I haven't been a big fan of staball 6.5. It's dirty and I don't seem to get good accuracy from it in other cartridges/bullets.

I usually run H4350 in my GT with 105-112s, and figured varget would work better with a lighter bullet. Staball is actually a little slower than H4350 if I remember correctly.

I'm using unfired alpha brass and was a little surprised to get pressure so soon. It wasn't flattening primers, bit I was getting some ejector marks and slightly heavy bolt lift.

What jump did you find they like and what charge of stball? I have about 5 lbs of it laying around.

Who's running RL15.5 behind 110 A-Tips ??

I have some loaded to try, just haven't made it to the range yet. FWIW, 33.0 looked promising with the 109eld copy though... testing that at distance when I do the 110's too. 33.0 put me at 2819fps with a SD of 4 and ES of 10 for 10 shots in Alpha brass and BR-4 primers. 34 grains were pushing 2897fps, I forget the SD but the ES was around 18fps and seemed to be trending downward... tested 33-34 in quarter grain charges. I wanted to be in the mid to low 2800's anyway so I will not be going any higher in charge weight.

I have some loaded to try, just haven't made it to the range yet. FWIW, 33.0 looked promising with the 109eld copy though... testing that at distance when I do the 110's too. 33.0 put me at 2819fps with a SD of 4 and ES of 10 for 10 shots in Alpha brass and BR-4 primers. 34 grains were pushing 2897fps, I forget the SD but the ES was around 18fps and seemed to be trending downward... tested 33-34 in quarter grain charges. I wanted to be in the mid to low 2800's anyway so I will not be going any higher in charge weight.
Thanks...I just picked some up and am going to ladder both the RL 15.5 & 16

What’s the expected life expectancy of a barrel for the 6gt since it’s been out for a bit

I've got 1900 on mine and it still hammers. Half tempted to run it next season which would take it to the 3k mark.

Berger 105 Hybrid
CCI 450
Alpha Brass
32 gr Varget
24” barrel
2740fps

Shooting under 1/2moa easily. Only 70rds on the barrel. Might speed up a bit. Going to move up to 2800ish and see what happens.

How many firings are you guys getting out of your Alpha OCD brass? I'm at 6x.

I have one batch that just finished 10 firings and no issues. We anneal every firing and do not run hot. I had some go at 8 firings in another rig, but that was due to bumping shoulders a little too much.

On barrel life.....I have pulled our barrels at 2k. I did not want to risk it going into state championships. I will run them over winter to see where they actually go. But judging by scope and barrel life calculator, I think they will go between 2500 and 3k. Calculator says 2400.

We run RL 15.5 in alpha OCD. 105 to 109 grain projectiles. (We tested a bunch of stuff over pandemic bs) All loads land between 33.5 and 34.5 grains running between 2940 and 3k. We ran Bartlien and Xcaliber barrels. Various twist rates and riflings. I was running different powders too and some of the slower powders ran 36 to 37 grains. Another reason I did not want to risk it crapping out in bigger match.

On twist. We found the 7.5 twist and 5R rifling to be the easiest....cleaning, tuning, throat ware etc. The only bullet I had issues with was the Hornady 109s. They stabilized.....sometimes. They really need a 7 twist. We looked at SF #s (stability factor) and the most consistent performance was at 1.7 or higher.

On bullets......For the $ I like the Berger 108 BT. Great bullet. My favorite is the 109 LRHT but they are so scarce and expensive right, just not cost effective for as much as we shoot. 105 hybrids and 107 SMKs were good, but the heavier Bergers buck wind better.

Great cartridge and it has been fun playing with all the different stuff in these Varmint matchrs but we are looking at moving into the ELR stuff. Built a 338 Edge. 7/300 PRC and 6.5 PRC. Looking at matches that go to a mile or more. We are keeping the GTs. Just going to focus on some different stuff now.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I'm wondering how close you guys are loading to the lands when getting ~3000rds of life out of a 6GT barrel..?

I've been getting ~2300rds out of my last couple 6CM barrels running them at a mildish ~2900fps and jumping a longish 0.100". I'm planning to do pretty much the same thing with my 6GT, running it "slow" (2800ish) and jumping a bunch, seems like getting 3k out of a barrel should be no problem...

I'm wondering how close you guys are loading to the lands when getting ~3000rds of life out of a 6GT barrel..?

I've been getting ~2300rds out of my last couple 6CM barrels running them at a mildish ~2900fps and jumping a longish 0.100". I'm planning to do pretty much the same thing with my 6GT, running it "slow" (2800ish) and jumping a bunch, seems like getting 3k out of a barrel should be no problem...
If you are running GT at 2800 is there a compelling reasons to continue to use GT over straight BR?

Are you going to run multiple/alternative loads to retain the advantages of the extra case volume? My concern with the latter approach is what happens when the throat erodes and you need to tweak/tune your load, you are stuck wasting barrel life tweaking multiple loads over the course of the barrel?

Apologies if this is off-topic, but figured maybe something people have thought about after a couple of seasons under the belt.

I started at 60 off and never looked back.
Don't know what it's jumping now with whatever erosion there has been over 2K rounds running in the mid/high 2800's. It still prints in the 300's so I don't care what the throat/jump is. No reason to touch the seating die. I believe the target instead.

If you are running GT at 2800 is there a compelling reasons to continue to use GT over straight BR?

Are you going to run multiple/alternative loads to retain the advantages of the extra case volume? My concern with the latter approach is what happens when the throat erodes and you need to tweak/tune your load, you are stuck wasting barrel life tweaking multiple loads over the course of the barrel?

Apologies if this is off-topic, but figured maybe something people have thought about after a couple of seasons under the belt.

As far as GT vs BR, IMHO, mag spacers suck, and I know like 3 guys off the top of my head that will tell you their Dashers/BR's run 100% even though I see them have a glitch or two pretty much every damn match lol. That, and you pretty much have to lean on a BR fairly hard if you spend a lot of time out at 1000+ yards (which I do).

IMHO 6GT's only real advantage over a 6CM run "slow" is that it can use Varget, which is huge, because as far as powders go, Varget is the easiest of the easy.

The only reason I'll be running "slow" is that I'd much rather have a barrel last a long time rather than push it harder and maybe only gain a tenth or so as far as better trajectory. Wind and/or wobble is usually what makes me miss most of the time, so even with a totally flat trajectory with a blaster out of Star Wars, I'd still manage to suck just fine lol. Plus, my brass lasts forever.

I don't tweak shit anymore, I just load, shoot, rinse, repeat. A huge part of the reason I'm drunk on the bullet-jump kool-aid is that with a longer jump, once you have a load that shoots, you don't have to tweak it for the life of the barrel. Super forgiving too, water-line stays stupid predictable (almost makes it seem like you got better at reloading overnight).

It's pretty simple really: with a longer jump throat erosion slows way down and the barrel becomes boringly forgiving. My first 6CM barrel's throat that I loaded 0.100" off for its whole life, only eroded ~12 thou over the course of 2300rds, guys loading 0.020" off can see that in a 200rd weekend...

It depends on what one is after: IMHO I'd rather have a gun that I don't have to mess with that only prints ~.5" at 100 (and stays 1/2 MOA out to past 1000 yards, staying boring that way for its whole long life), rather than a gun that shoots .3" groups and is dead in half the rounds.

8.4 SD with 190 rounds fired consecutively

37 grains H4350
108 berger
Alpha munitions 6GT brass
CCI 450
28” proof barrel 1/7T

Magneto had to be reset after 99 rounds otherwise it overrides your 99th shot with the 100th

FDE75A35-DB84-4122-8A76-F89BECF8B321.jpeg

Attachments

• AFDFA091-9906-4CFC-9E89-A65B1E5BEC6E.png
    AFDFA091-9906-4CFC-9E89-A65B1E5BEC6E.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • 562CA0DC-A32F-45CC-8291-A1031004003A.png
    562CA0DC-A32F-45CC-8291-A1031004003A.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
waiting on a 6gt barrel. It seems like everyone is mainly shooting the Berger 105 & 109 Hybrids which are pretty much impossible to find at the moment. Has anyone used the Berger 108 BT? This will strictly be a PRS round. Most matches 600-1000 yd range with an odd ball out to 1250 only shoot that once a year.

waiting on a 6gt barrel. It seems like everyone is mainly shooting the Berger 105 & 109 Hybrids which are pretty much impossible to find at the moment. Has anyone used the Berger 108 BT? This will strictly be a PRS round. Most matches 600-1000 yd range with an odd ball out to 1250 only shoot that once a year.
Yes, lots of stuff posted on it. Try using search function.