• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6gt

I’ve been cycling through 400 pieces of Hornady that was originally loaded by Prime with 115RDF’s. 3rd firing & haven’t had to send any to the scrap bin.

My go to load has been 38.6 gr N555 with 109LRHT @2940 from 26” Primers have all been cci 41’s or BR-4. I can tell you the 41’s fit a little tighter than all others I’ve tried.
I've had good luck with Hornady brass in the past. Still have some 6.5CM with 5 or 6 firings. The 6GT brass had primer pockets that felt like brass that had been fired a few times upon initial loading.

Mine too. My guess is they are from the same lot.
I'm still doing some digging. Maybe I loaded them way too hot? The data from my loads I gathered from other's experiences so who knows if the charge was pushing pressure. Signs point to no but it could be my fault entirely.

Bought 400 pieces of brass from GAP at the beginning of April. No issues with CCI 450’s or Win #41 but I also haven’t gone past 2950 fps in my loads. I’ve hit pressure a few times and even those pieces of brass still have good pockets. I don’t prep the primer pocket other than scraping it out with a small pocket cleaner and using a q-tip to give it a quick wipe after. No reaming or uniforming. I hand prime..

Bought 400 pieces of brass from GAP at the beginning of April. No issues with CCI 450’s or Win #41 but I also haven’t gone past 2950 fps in my loads. I’ve hit pressure a few times and even those pieces of brass still have good pockets. I don’t prep the primer pocket other than scraping it out with a small pocket cleaner and using a q-tip to give it a quick wipe after. No reaming or uniforming. I hand prime..
Eh maybe my loads were just overpressure. I measured the pockets of some unfired brass and they seemed to be right at the min dimension (according to this site https://ballistictools.com/articles/primer-pocket-depth-and-diameter.php).

I don't prep primer pockets just load them up. I also hand prime and that's when they felt "off" to me. I've only loaded for 6.5CM using federal and hornady brass so I don't have much experience at all with the feel of things.

Reactions: 021411
I have 50pcs of Hornady 6GT brass I bought from GAP to supplement my Alpha stuff after I've lost pieces at matches (already lost 3-4) and was expecting them to not be as robust as the Alpha stuff, but I hope it's not total garbage. Primers falling out after the first firing is no bueno.

The Alpha OCD brass pockets are no joke on the first loading, pretty stout using a hand primer (which is good IMO). I'm hoping I can get 15+ firings out of them staying ~2850-2900fps (time will tell).

I'm on the third load cycle with 300pcs and the primer pockets felt like new Lapua stuff last time IIRC, so still very solid after 3x fired at 2853fps, CCI450, 34gn SWPR.

Reactions: DubfromGA
2023 GAP PPR. Random break-in load and seating depth. 2770fps w/ 41rds down the pipe. Cool little round.
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-05-13 16:07:22.598952.jpg

Ballistic-X-Export-2023-05-13 15:02:49.350726.jpg

11 firings on my Alpha OCD brass and pockets are still like new. Running 2 rigs. RL 15.5 in both. CCI 400 and Fed 205M primers. 33.4 and 34 grains respectively for 109 Berger and 107 SMK both running 2950ish velocities. Almost 2k on both barrels now and still running strong. Hornady brass is shit. I have some and pockets go after 4 or 5 firings. I run QL and neither are near max pressure. Just dumped my 6.5 PRC Hornady brass too. Pockets went after 2 firings and that rig is no where near max. Been playing with N560 around 3k with 142 SMK. I have some ADG brass running same loads on 6+ firings and pockets are still fine. Can't even push a go gage in the pocket still. Pics are from 6GT. 34 of RL 15.5 at 2951 with 107 SMK @ .035 off lands. Steel was 714 yards, 4 shots.
IMG_20230512_192959.jpg
IMG_20230512_193007.jpg
IMG_20230512_193018.jpg

Last edited:
Picked up some Alpha brass to test next. Plan is to start out 31.5gr N150 for first firing which I think is reasonable given the lower volume of the Alpha brass.

Last edited:
11 firings on my Alpha OCD brass and pockets are still like new. Running 2 rigs. RL 15.5 in both. CCI 400 and Fed 205M primers. 33.4 and 34 grains respectively for 109 Berger and 107 SMK both running 2950ish velocities. Almost 2k on both barrels now and still running strong. Hornady brass is shit. I have some and pockets go after 4 or 5 firings. I run QL and neither are near max pressure. Just dumped my 6.5 PRC Hornady brass too. Pockets went after 2 firings and that rig is no where near max. Been playing with N560 around 3k with 142 SMK. I have some ADG brass running same loads on 6+ firings and pockets are still fine. Can't even push a go gage in the pocket still. Pics are from 6GT. 34 of RL 15.5 at 2951 with 107 SMK @ .035 off lands. Steel was 714 yards, 4 shots.View attachment 8140849View attachment 8140850View attachment 8140851
John, good write up. What length barrels are you running?

Picked up some Alpha brass to test next. Plan is to start out 31.5gr N150 for first firing which I think is reasonable given the lower volume of the Alpha brass.
I run 32.8gr in one barrel at 2910 with a 107smk, shoots half moa at distance.

11 firings on my Alpha OCD brass and pockets are still like new. Running 2 rigs. RL 15.5 in both. CCI 400 and Fed 205M primers. 33.4 and 34 grains respectively for 109 Berger and 107 SMK both running 2950ish velocities. Almost 2k on both barrels now and still running strong. Hornady brass is shit. I have some and pockets go after 4 or 5 firings. I run QL and neither are near max pressure. Just dumped my 6.5 PRC Hornady brass too. Pockets went after 2 firings and that rig is no where near max. Been playing with N560 around 3k with 142 SMK. I have some ADG brass running same loads on 6+ firings and pockets are still fine. Can't even push a go gage in the pocket still. Pics are from 6GT. 34 of RL 15.5 at 2951 with 107 SMK @ .035 off lands. Steel was 714 yards, 4 shots.View attachment 8140849View attachment 8140850View attachment 8140851
That Reloader 15.5 is the cats meow for the GT. I’m running 33.3grs with 109 ELDM’s at 2856.

How’s temp stability compared to H4350 and Varget?
Just as good maybe better but I’ve only shot from low 40’s to low 90’s in matches so far. When I’ve chrono’d in those temps my five shot average has been 2849-2856. Only downside I’ve noticed with it is that it’s a bit dirtier than the other 2.

Update: Fired about 30 rounds of the above and no primers falling out. Velocity was 2769 average with still good SDs and accuracy. Reprimed a piece of the fired Alpha brass and primer pockets still very tight.

Update: Fired about 30 rounds of the above and no primers falling out. Velocity was 2769 average with still good SDs and accuracy. Reprimed a piece of the fired Alpha brass and primer pockets still very tight.
That's def on the low psi side. Lot of room to add powder. My brass is on 6 firings with 109s at 2920. Primers still tighter than 1-2x fired lapua.

I have 50pcs of Hornady 6GT brass I bought from GAP to supplement my Alpha stuff after I've lost pieces at matches (already lost 3-4) and was expecting them to not be as robust as the Alpha stuff, but I hope it's not total garbage. Primers falling out after the first firing is no bueno.

The Alpha OCD brass pockets are no joke on the first loading, pretty stout using a hand primer (which is good IMO). I'm hoping I can get 15+ firings out of them staying ~2850-2900fps (time will tell).

I'm on the third load cycle with 300pcs and the primer pockets felt like new Lapua stuff last time IIRC, so still very solid after 3x fired at 2853fps, CCI450, 34gn SWPR.
Alpha will be good. I have practice OCD brass that is literally on its 24th firing. Annealed with AMP. Still strong. Light loads of Varget between 31.8-33.0 depending on bullet. I shot the brass at a 2 day in Texas and it performed great.

Looking at rebarreling my 308 Savage once I burn through all my 308 components and possible either going 6xc of 6gt with a Criterion barrel. Is there any issues running regular small primers (non-magnum) either CCI or Federal with Varget or H4350 in 6gt? I have access to several thousand of either via trades but no magnums.

What dies is everybody using? I am new to this. I looked at Forster full length resizing bushing dies - not made for 6GT. So I am looking at Redding full length resizing bushing dies . . . again, no 6GT.

I have an RCBS Rockchucker press.

If it matters I will be using Alpha brass for now. I wanted to use Berger 109 LRHT, but we'll see if it ever becomes available. They posted something on Facebook showing them running new bullets, but I have not seen them available for sale yet. So I will probably buy another bullet until they are available.

So, dies. What do you use?

What dies is everybody using? I am new to this. I looked at Forster full length resizing bushing dies - not made for 6GT. So I am looking at Redding full length resizing bushing dies . . . again, no 6GT.

If it matters I will be using Alpha brass for now. I wanted to use Berger 109 LRHT, but we'll see if it ever becomes available. They posted something on Facebook showing them running new bullets, but I have not seen them available for sale yet. So I will probably buy another bullet until they are available.

Redding

Reactions: DubfromGA

I'm using a RCBS Matchmaster set purchased through GAP along with Hornady brass, Berger 109's. I also had great results with the Berger 108 BTT.

Reactions: DubfromGA and Oryx
Looking at rebarreling my 308 Savage once I burn through all my 308 components and possible either going 6xc of 6gt with a Criterion barrel. Is there any issues running regular small primers (non-magnum) either CCI or Federal with Varget or H4350 in 6gt? I have access to several thousand of either via trades but no magnums.
I haven't tested regular small rifle primers in GT - but I did in SRP Creed brass while doing a primer test. CCI 400s and Federal 205s both performed pretty well vs 450 and BR4. They weren't quite as consistent (SD was 1-2 points higher with them), but that's really about all I noticed there. GT is a smaller capacity case, so I wouldn't think they'd do any worse there? These days, beggers can't really be choosers, it seems like - if you can get regular SRPs, give 'em a go.

Ok, Kadams1563, I was looking on Redding's site and Midway and finding nothing in 6GT, then I remembered to look on GA Precision.

Is this what you use?

I'm using a RCBS Matchmaster set purchased through GAP along with Hornady brass, Berger 109's. I also had great results with the Berger 108 BTT.
LOL, again GA Precision, but it does not look like they carry that now.

So Redding and RCBS Matchmaster each get a vote. Thanks, guys.

Last edited:

A good place to start is this hornady from GA.

DESCRIPTION
Hornady Custom Grade 6mm GT die set, with Microjust Seating Stem. (non bushing style)
Hornady Item numbers:
  • Custom Grade Die set # 041624C
  • Microjust Seating Micrometer #044090
  • The full length sizer die is cut with a .266" neck diameter - Perfect for about .002" neck tension with the Alpha Munitions or Hornady 6mm GT brass.

I’ve used mostlyCCI400’s in my 6GT with no issues using Varget, H4350, and VV555.
Only used about 300 federal ARMatch small primers and don’t see any difference.
No issues here

Anyone running the 105grn Barnes Match Burners I see and yes I looked people have used the 112grns didn't see anything on 105's? Ordered and MPA 6GT for Production Division want to start getting supplies now.

Reactions: CK1.0
Anyone running the 105grn Barnes Match Burners I see and yes I looked people have used the 112grns didn't see anything on 105's? Ordered and MPA 6GT for Production Division want to start getting supplies now.
Is it a budget bullet you're seeking? 107smk are just as good as 105hyb, and they're available, and maybe 5-6¢ more than a 105mb.

Is it a budget bullet you're seeking? 107smk are just as good as 105hyb, and they're available, and maybe 5-6¢ more than a 105mb.
I have about 2K of the 109Hybrids on backorder at the moment after research not going to see them maybe for a while lol. Was looking at a good substitute I use the 140grn MB in my 6.5CM presently with no issues but I do tip and point them. Just looking to see I found a lot of the 105's in stock at 112grns just looking to see what most folks are running and noticed nobody has the 105's listed after 29 pages lol could be an indicator lol :)

I have about 2K of the 109Hybrids on backorder at the moment after research not going to see them maybe for a while lol. Was looking at a good substitute I use the 140grn MB in my 6.5CM presently with no issues but I do tip and point them. Just looking to see I found a lot of the 105's in stock at 112grns just looking to see what most folks are running and noticed nobody has the 105's listed after 29 pages lol could be an indicator lol :)

They (105MBs) might be great, most precision rifle guys are snobs and just skip over them because they're cheaper than the usual suspects (that probably goes for the Match Burners in general).

I tried the 112's because I couldn't get DTACs... and they've shot good enough to where I haven't ordered any more DTACs (yet).

I'd just try 100-200 and see for yourself before ordering 500+, at least that's what I plan on doing one of these days, because there's a chance they're as good as the 112's...

They might be great, most precision rifle guys are snobs and just skip over them because they're cheaper than the usual suspects (that probably goes for the Match Burners in general).

I tried the 112's because I couldn't get DTACs... and they've shot good enough to where I haven't ordered any more DTACs (yet).

I'd just try 100-200 and see for yourself before ordering 500+, at least that's what I plan on doing one of these days, because there's a chance they're as good as the 112's...
Bought 1k 112s, tried them 2.5 years ago upon release, and hid very mixed results, however there were some known problematic lots, but Barnes would never acknowledge nor exchange bullets. I use them to break in new barrels. The base to ogive and bullet OAL had a variation of 0.011 in 50 measured in a 500ct box. I mean dtacs are 180$/500ct box. I've acquired 7500 in the last 9 months for a few different cartridges. I have had good results with the 145 6.5 version tho.

IDK, I've shot over ~7K of the 112MBs at this point and they've been as good as anything else I've ever shot (mostly ELD-Ms and DTACs, few hundred A-tips). I measured 500 once and all the ogive and weight numbers were as close as anyhting else I've bothered to measure/weigh as well.

With all the reloading dogma/fairy-tale nonsense I've read on this site and others I'm sort of surprised any companies, Barnes or otherwise, would exchange or take any bullets back... I'm not pointing at you, but guys blame components/gear all the time instead of looking in the mirror. 🤪

IDK, I've shot over ~7K of the 112MBs at this point and they've been as good as anything else I've ever shot (mostly ELD-Ms and DTACs, few hundred A-tips). I measured 500 once and all the ogive and weight numbers were as close as anyhting else I've bothered to measure/weigh as well.

With all the reloading dogma/fairy-tale nonsense I've read on this site and others I'm sort of surprised any companies, Barnes or otherwise, would exchange or take any bullets back... I'm not pointing at you, but guys blame components/gear all the time instead of looking in the mirror. 🤪
Sounds like they have done better getting the dimensions consistent. I think the bullet looks good on paper, the bc has been verified g7 305-310 from most I've heard. If you've shot that many and had the much success lot to lot, sounds like they've been good to go. I struggled with them in my first gt. That barrel just may not have liked em.

Sounds like they have done better getting the dimensions consistent. I think the bullet looks good on paper, the bc has been verified g7 305-310 from most I've heard. If you've shot that many and had the much success lot to lot, sounds like they've been good to go. I struggled with them in my first gt. That barrel just may not have liked em.

Yeah, they may have needed to get their shit together or something... I was one of the snobs who never bothered with them when they were brand new on the scene lol.

Now that I know they're a legit .300+ BC bullet for half of what some of the others' cost, I wish I had bought them all up back when they were even cheaper... IIRC they were like ~$0.20pp before the pandemic...

Reactions: 4O6shootist
Yeah, they may have needed to get their shit together or something... I was one of the snobs who never bothered with them when they were brand new on the scene lol.

Now that I know they're a legit .300+ BC bullet for half of what some of the others' cost, I wish I had bought them all up when the were even cheaper... IIRC they were like ~$0.20 before the pandemic...
I have 2 500x boxes of two lot numbers from 2020, they're the ones I've had problems with. You're better off with the new stuff trust me.

Interesting read that popped up in my Facebook feed. Sorry for the length, but those following this thread would probably like to read it (even if he shoots dasher instead of GT).

A month ago, Phil Cashin (owner of Masterpiece Arms and a competitive shooter himself) interviewed Austin on the Winner’s Circle Episode 8. He spent around 30 minutes on that episode asking Austin questions about his reloading process – and watching Phil’s initial reaction to all this was entertaining! I know Phil personally, and he is more open than most shooters I know – but 30 minutes into the show, after Austin explained that he might not trim his cases over an entire season and that he doesn’t use anything to set the inside diameter of the neck, Phil started laughing and here is their interaction that followed:

Interesting read that popped up in my Facebook feed. Sorry for the length, but those following this thread would probably like to read it (even if he shoots dasher instead of GT).

...and hard to argue with someone who cleans the entire (two-day) match @ 176-0. Beyond impressive.

I have a feeling that if you ran 109 Bergers at 36.5gr H4350 and jump them 40k, it'd be the same resukts as the PRS load data article. That exact load has shot consistently small in 3 barrels for me. No adjusting the seating die. My last barrel was jumping 40k at beginning and 120k when pulled. I had to add 0.3gr powder to keep velocity at the same 2920 range due to pressure loss from extra jump and barrel wear. But it still shot half moa when pulled at 2300 rounds. I have since switched to dtacs in my latest barrel. With 35.3gr H4350 jumping 20k at 2860fps and it shoots very well. I seemed to get an odd random low impact flyer with 109s maybe 2 of every 100 rounds, 0.3 Mil low or a very consistent waterline. I have not experienced that within the 400 dtacs I've fired.

Reactions: SWgeezer

If you think about it, everything he does (or does not do) jives with what a lot of us are always saying: it doesn't really matter that much if one makes a "good" round versus a "bad" round... it's if one can make the same round over and over again that really matters.

If one makes the same round over and over, same components, same steps/process, same everything, over 10-15 barrels... then one can imagine they'd get pretty good at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schütze
Not quite reloading related but does anyone know whos has 6gt head space guages in stock or anyone thats looking to sell theirs? Barrels showing up tomorrow.

Not quite reloading related but does anyone know whos has 6gt head space guages in stock or anyone thats looking to sell theirs? Barrels showing up tomorrow.
Is it a shouldered prefit or a barrel nut? Most smith will cut a shouldered prefit to go gauge +0.002 deeper. This will usually have new alpha brass growing 0.004 upon firing. I had my very first barrel cut to go, and new alpha grew 002 upon firing. If it's a shouldered prefit, and you can't find a gauge, I'd load one case and fire it, check the shoulder measurement and see how much it comes forward. I'd say anything from 002 to 006 growth would be in spec headspace wise. My smith has cut me prefit for tl3, origin, atx, and had the action to fit to my archimedes. Headspace on all of them has been within 0.0005 with my alpha reamer. It's nice, as I do not have to seperate brass between any of them. Hell once fireformed, I can use brass from 3 different lots mixed together with great accuracy and low sd.

Reactions: kampr and SWgeezer