• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

6gt

that is the way it should be if everything is clean and tight right.
Yes, clean chamber and run some patches through to dry everything out. Usually there is a lil cutting oil residue in chamber/barrel after machining. Just a practice I do when a new pipe shows up. If you have new brass, another technique to measure your headspace: using shoulder bump gauge on caliper. Measure the shoulder to case head with caliper. Seat a primer approx 0.010 proud of case head. Strip your bolt down of the firing assembly and ejector(if your bolt has a plunger type). Install case on bolt face and chamber the round, closing bolt. Now remove the case. Measure the shoulder to case head again(primer will still be proud but less as the bolt will have seated it deeper to give headspace) subtract your dimension first measured with no primer, from the new dimension with primer. This is how much positive headspace you have between new brass and your chamber. These are hillbilly ways of doing it, but it works in my experience.

Yes, clean chamber and run some patches through to dry everything out. Usually there is a lil cutting oil residue in chamber/barrel after machining. Just a practice I do when a new pipe shows up. If you have new brass, another technique to measure your headspace: using shoulder bump gauge on caliper. Measure the shoulder to case head with caliper. Seat a primer approx 0.010 proud of case head. Strip your bolt down of the firing assembly and ejector(if your bolt has a plunger type). Install case on bolt face and chamber the round, closing bolt. Now remove the case. Measure the shoulder to case head again(primer will still be proud but less as the bolt will have seated it deeper to give headspace) subtract your dimension first measured with no primer, from the new dimension with primer. This is how much positive headspace you have between new brass and your chamber. These are hillbilly ways of doing it, but it works in my experience.
That's a cool little trick to hip pocket for future use. Thanks!

Reactions: 4O6shootist
I'll be home in a few days, I could send you a sized piece of brass that's 002 bump in my go plus 002 chamber. You could use it with a layer of scotch tape on the case head.

I had my very first barrel cut to go, and new alpha grew 002 upon firing. . . . It's nice, as I do not have to seperate brass between any of them. Hell once fireformed, I can use brass from 3 different lots mixed together with great accuracy and low sd.
How much do you bump the shoulder back when resizing?

How much do you bump the shoulder back when resizing?
From a deprimed fired case, it's about 003. I've found a sized case with bumping shoulder 001 from fired is still just slightly touching chamber, not allowing a stripped bolt to drop shut freely on a sized case with handle weight. So I go 003 from fired, which is what I feel, 002 from chamber.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
26” proof comp contour
36g H4350
Hornady brass
CCI 450
108 ELDM
1.915 CBTO 30 thou off lands

That’s around 100 rounds down the barrel so I expect it to speed up a bit. Faster than I expected for 2 grains below max.
IMG_1356.jpeg

Reactions: Inothingit360
26” proof comp contour
36g H4350
Hornady brass
CCI 450
108 ELDM
1.915 CBTO 30 thou off lands

That’s around 100 rounds down the barrel so I expect it to speed up a bit. Faster than I expected for 2 grains below max.
View attachment 8174870
38gr will likely be pretty warm. I know 36-36.5 generally gets me 2900-2930 with 108-110gr bullets after 200 rounds of break in. However one lot of powder required 37.2 gr, and a other lot only needed 35.7, I love H4350 but there are noticbale lot to lot variances, I've observed same with Varget and H1000.

115 DTACS

Impact 737
Proof Comp contour @ 26” 1-7”
Foundation Centurion
Manson .120 freebore

6GT Alpha 10x fired
CCI 450
H4350 34.3
115 DTACS
BTO 1.9770

83*
982’ ASL
Hm: 59%

avg: 2801
SD: 4.3
ES: 10

This barrel has 1231 rounds on it mostly from matches . Otherwise I’m not sure if you could get the DTACS to work in a .120 freebore.

10 at 100yds while doing my ladder test.

IMG_4153.jpeg

5 at 501 yds checking velocity. It’s probably going to true out closer to 2810-2815. I’ll check it again at 600 when I go to true the BC.
IMG_4150.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-07-03 08:14:26.616024.jpg

38gr will likely be pretty warm. I know 36-36.5 generally gets me 2900-2930 with 108-110gr bullets after 200 rounds of break in. However one lot of powder required 37.2 gr, and an other lot only needed 35.7, I love H4350 but there are noticbale lot to lot variances, I've observed same with Varget and H1000.
I was figuring that would get a little spicy I was surprised to see it go up that high on hogdens website. I think I’ll be right in that 2900 range after the barrel settles in. That’s a bit fast for what I was after but it’s shooting lights out so I figure I’ll leave it alone.

I was figuring that would get a little spicy I was surprised to see it go up that high on hogdens website. I think I’ll be right in that 2900 range after the barrel settles in. That’s a bit fast for what I was after but it’s shooting lights out so I figure I’ll leave it alone.
With 108-110 gr bullets, I've found in 5 barrels 2880-2920 is a common node, and then down around 2800-2840. My brothers rifle is running 109 eldm at 2830 with 35.5gr H4350 and it is consistent half to sub half minute out to 1k yards, jumping those 60k I believe in a 170fb chamber.

115 DTACS

Impact 737
Proof Comp contour @ 26” 1-7”
Foundation Centurion
Manson .120 freebore

6GT Alpha 10x fired
CCI 450
H4350 34.3
115 DTACS
BTO 1.9770

83*
982’ ASL
Hm: 59%

avg: 2801
SD: 4.3
ES: 10
I'm running next node up at 2870 with dtacs and 35.3gr H4350 in one my barrels, shoots similarly to yours accuracy wise. I've found the ab custom curve in my kestrel at 2880 has lined up perfectly water line to 1k, and had me on full sized upsc targets at 1400y. The dtacs work well, I'm using 0.170fb in that chamber. Jumping anything more than 30k has the bearing starting to get below the neck.

Reactions: Inothingit360
I'm running next node up at 2870 with dtacs and 35.3gr H4350 in one my barrels, shoots similarly to yours accuracy wise. I've found the ab custom curve in my kestrel at 2880 has lined up perfectly water line to 1k, and had me on full sized upsc targets at 1400y. The dtacs work well, I'm using 0.170fb in that chamber. Jumping anything more than 30k has the bearing starting to get below the neck.
My next barrel will be a .170 freebore as long as I can still get the DTACS. I set this barrel up for 109’s( ELDM’s) but I ran out and GA Precision was out of stock at the time. A guy gave me 50 DTACS to try so I could find out or not if they would work in my gun with the .120 freebore. I think the only reason is because of my erosion after 1200rds. I’m just a tad below the neck shoulder junction with mine , another reason I went with the lower charge. That and it just shot so damn good.

My next barrel will be a .170 freebore as long as I can still get the DTACS. I set this barrel up for 109’s( ELDM’s) but I ran out and GA Precision was out of stock at the time. A guy gave me 50 DTACS to try so I could find out or not if they would work in my gun with the .120 freebore. I think the only reason is because of my erosion after 1200rds. I’m just a tad below the neck shoulder junction with mine , another reason I went with the lower charge. That and it just shot so damn good.
Buy more dtacs now if you can, they're available. I've acquired a other 6k in last few months. I don't want run out if another Sierra manufacturing dry spell occurs.

With 108-110 gr bullets, I've found in 5 barrels 2880-2920 is a common node, and then down around 2800-2840. My brothers rifle is running 109 eldm at 2830 with 35.5gr H4350 and it is consistent half to sub half minute out to 1k yards, jumping those 60k I believe in a 170fb chamber.
I’m confused…..are “accuracy nodes” still a thing?

I thought AB and Hornady had buried that myth in a deep hole under lots of data???

I’m confused…..are “accuracy nodes” still a thing?

I thought AB and Hornady had buried that myth in a deep hole under lots of data???
I think there are velocitiy windows certain bullets like to run at, and I do beleive it translates on paper at distance, not necessarily at 100y, this has been observed in my testing. In smaller cases like br variants and even gt, it's less apparent, but once you start getting into case over 60gr capacity, it definitely makes a difference.

I think there are velocitiy windows certain bullets like to run at, and I do beleive it translates on paper at distance, not necessarily at 100y, this has been observed in my testing. In smaller cases like br variants and even gt, it's less apparent, but once you start getting into case over 60gr capacity, it definitely makes a difference.
Just to make sure I’m tracking with u-

• Bullets “in the node” group size are linear at distance, excluding environmental influence? (Ex- 0.5 MOA @ 100, 0.5 MOA @ 600)

• Bullets not “in the node” have group sizes at distance > than linear 100 yd group size? (Ex- 0.5 MOA @ 100, 1 MOA @ 600)

Is that what you are saying?

Just to make sure I’m tracking with u-

• Bullets “in the node” group size are linear at distance, excluding environmental influence? (Ex- 0.5 MOA @ 100, 0.5 MOA @ 600)

• Bullets not “in the node” have group sizes at distance > than linear 100 yd group size? (Ex- 0.5 MOA @ 100, 1 MOA @ 600)

Is that what you are saying?
That's correct.

What I've found, there are velocitiy windows that will have the same vertical poi at distance, also known as positive compensation, or barrel timing nodes. It's used mainly by benchrest/Fclass guys as their powder tuning method.

I've had loads that shoot sub half at 100y, but at 600y on paper will have 6" of repeated vertical. Go up/down another 40-50 fps in velocity, and it'll be same sub half moa at 100y, but still hold half minute or less of vertical dispersion at distance.

There was a Cortina podcast with Alex Wheeler talking about positive compensation. I don't put a lot of weight in Cortina(some but not most his content) but Alex knows his shit.

Reactions: Hickswr
That's correct.

What I've found, there are velocitiy windows that will have the same vertical poi at distance, also known as positive compensation, or barrel timing nodes. It's used mainly by benchrest/Fclass guys as their powder tuning method. Really the only time I shoot 100yds is verifying zero or fine tuning my zero.

I've had loads that shoot sub half at 100y, but at 600y on paper will have 6" of repeated vertical. Go up/down another 40-50 fps in velocity, and it'll be same sub half moa at 100y, but still hold half minute or less of vertical dispersion at distance.

There was a Cortina podcast with Alex Wheeler talking about positive compensation. I don't put a lot of weight in Cortina(some but not most his content) but Alex knows his shit.
I totally agree, I haven’t shot groups at 100yds for load development other than when I’m shooting a ladder test . Once I find the( flat spot with the velocity I like) I’ll do seating depth test at 500yds. Might not be the correct way to do it but it has worked in my 6GT for 2 different barrels and 3 different bullets and powders.

After reading everyone's post it seems all powder are capable of the 2800-3000 range. I'm rebarreling over from 308 shortly and have Varget but don't have any of the other powders. Right now it seeems 107gr SMKs are most commonly in stock but figure I'd try 105gr hybrids and 108gr ELD-Ms if the option was there. Primers will be CCI450s... any specific disadvantage to just sticking with Varget? (Unless of it doesn't shoot or velocities are sub par).

This will be used for PRS shooting and all the matches around me are under 1k yd ranges.

After reading everyone's post it seems all powder are capable of the 2800-3000 range. I'm rebarreling over from 308 shortly and have Varget but don't have any of the other powders. Right now it seeems 107gr SMKs are most commonly in stock but figure I'd try 105gr hybrids and 108gr ELD-Ms if the option was there. Primers will be CCI450s... any specific disadvantage to just sticking with Varget? (Unless of it doesn't shoot or velocities are sub par).

This will be used for PRS shooting and all the matches around me are under 1k yd ranges.
Nope, start at 32gr Varg and go up. 107smk will shoot well low 2800 and around 2900. 20-30k jump. I use the 107s in my gfs rifle, 32.8gr N150 at 2910 jumping 25k, they're half moa at 500y on paper.

Nope, start at 32gr Varg and go up. 107smk will shoot well low 2800 and around 2900. 20-30k jump. I use the 107s in my gfs rifle, 32.8gr N150 at 2910 jumping 25k, they're half moa at 500y on paper.

Well that's pretty easy haha. Is there a book or recommended max for Varget (I don't have any of the new Hornady books or app).

Well that's pretty easy haha. Is there a book or recommended max for Varget (I don't have any of the new Hornady books or app).
You're rifle will tell you. The alpha ocd brass is pretty tough. It'll likely max around 34.5gr, up near 3k fps. I know the ladies rifle with N150 showed light lift at 34.1gr N150 which was just over 3000fps.

Varget works well with the 6GT. Up until I switched to RL15.5 I used Varget with 109 Hybrids and 109 ELDM’s.

This will be used for PRS shooting and all the matches around me are under 1k yd ranges

Mike

Just did the swap over from 6. 5CM to the 6GT as well. There is not a lot of published data out there. There is quit bit on this thread though that should keep a guy out of trouble. Everyone say the berger 105 hybrids shoot superb, but you may very well find the great white Buffalo before you find a couple of boxes of those. Shoot the smk 107 or hornady Eldm. I actually contacted hornady for some load data and they replied back with.
“unfortunately, we do not have any reloading data for it as of right now. We are waiting on SAAMI to approve the cartridge so we can do reloading data for it. Thank you for reaching out. “
Varget is a great powder for the 6GT, I started at 32.7 and I am working up from there , but I am not worried about fine tuning till after the 100ish rounds. So far I am really enjoying the cartridge. Good luck.

Hey quick question. I just got some barnes 112 MB's so I loaded them up with 33.5gr varget and Br4's in alpha OCD brass.

I ran a seating depth test 3 shots each. I was in a little bit of a rush and shot them fairly quickly.

The last two three shot groups were stiff bolt and ejector swipes.

Is this my negligence or does something seem off? Hoping to chrono that load later this week.

Hodgdon says max load is 34.2gr varget with a 110gr bullet. You might be right. I've got h4350 I can play as well but I kinda assumed varget was the east button.

Hey quick question. I just got some barnes 112 MB's so I loaded them up with 33.5gr varget and Br4's in alpha OCD brass.

I ran a seating depth test 3 shots each. I was in a little bit of a rush and shot them fairly quickly.

The last two three shot groups were stiff bolt and ejector swipes.

Is this my negligence or does something seem off? Hoping to chrono that load later this week.
If it's virgin brass, sometimes you'll get psi signs as of light bolt lift and ejector marks as the brass is forming to chamber and coming back to the bolt face, these usually go away on second firing. How do your primers look? Are the edges flat, still rounded, is there cratering? I'm running 33.5gr Imr 4166 in virgin ocd brass to break in a handful of barrels right now with 108/107 gr bullets running 2900-2950 depending on freebore, but these are showing no psi signs on any of them but the AI atx, it gives ejector marks, AI uses a pretty stout ejector spring, it did it with virgin 65cm brass as well.

Stiff but not sticky bolt lift. This is in a zermatt, so just an ejector slot. But it is the first firing. The interesting part to me is that it seemed to come with heat increase. I didnt let the rounds cook in the chamber at all.
20230718_062819.jpg

Stiff but not sticky bolt lift. This is in a zermatt, so just an ejector slot. But it is the first firing. The interesting part to me is that it seemed to come with heat increase. I didnt let the rounds cook in the chamber at all. View attachment 8185530
So this looks to me, is typical first firing with alpha ocd brass signs at the case head. The web is so strong on these cases it doesn't expand much first pop causing it to not grip chamber well, this slams the case head back to the bolt face, giving you that ejector cut signature.

My origin does same thing to primers, cratering at medium to Lower psi(probably gonna get it bushed eventually) those primers look very round at edges, I'd say your load it totally safe and what you're seeing is common with ocd brass upon virgin loadings.

I have not tried varget in the 6gt, only H4350, RL16 and IMR4166. H4350 has done great with 108-115gr bullets as well as rl16. 4166 gets a lil spicy above 2950fps, as will varget likely, unless you have a very long barrel.

So this looks to me, is typical first firing with alpha ocd brass signs at the case head. The web is so strong on these cases it doesn't expand much first pop causing it to not grip chamber well, this slams the case head back to the bolt face, giving you that ejector cut signature.

My origin does same thing to primers, cratering at medium to Lower psi(probably gonna get it bushed eventually) those primers look very round at edges, I'd say your load it totally safe and what you're seeing is common with ocd brass upon virgin loadings.

I have not tried varget in the 6gt, only H4350, RL16 and IMR4166. H4350 has done great with 108-115gr bullets as well as rl16. 4166 gets a lil spicy above 2950fps, as will varget likely, unless you have a very long barrel.

I'm not convinced yet but if I can run them over a chrono then that'll make me feel better.

I've got lots of powder to play with so that's good. Maybe I'll give H4350 and 6.5 staball a try.

These bullets were cheap so if I have to set then aside for another barrel that's OK with me. Shot great at 33.5gr varget an 108 ELD.

20230719_120740.jpg

Went to range to reverify load. Got to say, will settle with this load. Group up top not bad either.
34.1 - Varget
109 gr Berger Hybrid
Screenshot_20230721_185742_Range Buddy.jpg

Hodgdon says max load is 34.2gr varget with a 110gr bullet. You might be right. I've got h4350 I can play as well but I kinda assumed varget was the east button.
Max load is max load in the book, but it should go without saying; you work up to a load to ensure safe pressure. This is reloading 101 stuff.

Max load is max load in the book, but it should go without saying; you work up to a load to ensure safe pressure. This is reloading 101 stuff.
Alpha says that thier OCD brass does not show pressure like other brass. They recommend, rather than looking for typical pressure signs, to load within book recommendations.

Also, I'm not shooting max load.

Alpha says that thier OCD brass does not show pressure like other brass. They recommend, rather than looking for typical pressure signs, to load within book recommendations.

Also, I'm not shooting max load.
It doesn't matter what they say. I am on my like 5th firing of 800 pieces of Alpha OCD. ALWAYS work up to a load. You don't know how the powder/bullet/chamber/your reloading skills combination will work. Or don't then get laughed at when you blow your shit up or wreck your barrel/bolt.

Your load is spicy AF. Most people are using 2-3 grains less varget. This is why you have heavy bolt lift. Add summer temps and this is what you get.

It doesn't matter what they say. I am on my like 5th firing of 800 pieces of Alpha OCD. ALWAYS work up to a load. You don't know how the powder/bullet/chamber/your reloading skills combination will work. Or don't then get laughed at when you blow your shit up or wreck your barrel/bolt.

Your load is spicy AF. Most people are using 2-3 grains less varget. This is why you have heavy bolt lift. Add summer temps and this is what you get.
I had run a ladder on the 108 eldm up to 34.5gr, went back down from 34.5 to 33.5 at about 2850fps. I had brought some of those loads along.

After seeing the pressure change in the 112 MB load at 33.5gr I went over to the 108 eldm at 33.5gr and also saw pressure signs.

I'll run the ladder for the 112's.