• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6gt

It doesn't matter what they say. I am on my like 5th firing of 800 pieces of Alpha OCD. ALWAYS work up to a load. You don't know how the powder/bullet/chamber/your reloading skills combination will work. Or don't then get laughed at when you blow your shit up or wreck your barrel/bolt.

Your load is spicy AF. Most people are using 2-3 grains less varget. This is why you have heavy bolt lift. Add summer temps and this is what you get.
I had run a ladder on the 108 eldm up to 34.5gr, went back down from 34.5 to 33.5 at about 2850fps. I had brought some of those loads along.

After seeing the pressure change in the 112 MB load at 33.5gr I went over to the 108 eldm at 33.5gr and also saw pressure signs.

I'll run the ladder for the 112's.

Thanks for the highly informative thread. Straight Jacket Armory will install a 21.5" 6GT barrel on my Sig Cross next week. I went with a shorter barrel to keep total unloaded weight < 10.5 lbs. per the rules of our local 600 yard match.

I have good supplies of H4350, Varget, and RL 15.5. I plan to start with the 109 ELDM. Any suggestions for which powder and charge weight to begin with? Thanks again!

Thanks for the highly informative thread. Straight Jacket Armory will install a 21.5" 6GT barrel on my Sig Cross next week. I went with a shorter barrel to keep total unloaded weight < 10.5 lbs. per the rules of our local 600 yard match.

I have good supplies of H4350, Varget, and RL 15.5. I plan to start with the 109 ELDM. Any suggestions for which powder and charge weight to begin with? Thanks again!
Lots of data posted here on both powders. I prefer the 15.5. All mine run 33.4 to 34 grains. Start low and work up with proper load development.

Reactions: WyomingShooter
First attempt to download from load that I ran for last 2 years ( 36.7gr H4350 , 109 Berger, 2940fps)

Not happy with the SD or the velocity. I dropped down to 35.6 gr figuring that would put me right around 2850. Looks like i need to add about .3 more grains to get me to the target of 2825-2850. Groups were nice and tight but man I don't know why the SD is so high. Doing everything the same (Amp anneal, FL Bushing size, Mandrel, Henderson, Supertrickler, ect) with alpha brass and berger 109s. Running around 1.840 which is about .050 tho jump. Maybe its just a bad combo of jump and velocity.

20230730_140530.jpg

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
First attempt to download from load that I ran for last 2 years ( 36.7gr H4350 , 109 Berger, 2940fps)

Not happy with the SD or the velocity. I dropped down to 35.6 gr figuring that would put me right around 2850. Looks like i need to add about .3 more grains to get me to the target of 2825-2850. Groups were nice and tight but man I don't know why the SD is so high. Doing everything the same (Amp anneal, FL Bushing size, Mandrel, Henderson, Supertrickler, ect) with alpha brass and berger 109s. Running around 1.840 which is about .050 tho jump. Maybe its just a bad combo of jump and velocity.

View attachment 8193779
Perhaps try a faster burn rate to get the chamber pressure up a bit at that 2820-2850 range. 4166, varget, TS15.5 all do well. My 115 dtac H4350 load at 2850 has really good spreads at 35.5gr, but I'm sure psi is higher with that bullet.

Bullets that are available right now; what would you run?

I starting from scratch. I have only ever shot the Hornady Match factory ammunition out of my gun.

I have Alpha brass, CCI 450 primers, Target powder.

Considering:

Sierra 107 SMK

Hornady 109 ELD-M

Vapor Trail 103 VTAC

Leaning towards Sierra, but I would like to hear from others here. I have no experience handloading any of these.

I starting from scratch. I have only ever shot the Hornady Match factory ammunition out of my gun.

Considering:

Sierra 107 SMK

Hornady 109 ELD-M

Vapor Trail 103 VTAC

Leaning towards Sierra, but I would like to hear from others here. I have no experience handloading any of these.

What game are you playing?

PRS, sorry, I guess I should have said that. I am a beginner, noob, inexperienced at all of this. I probably would have kept shooting the factory ammunition if not for the primer issue recently.

Considering:

Sierra 107 SMK

Hornady 109 ELD-M

Vapor Trail 103 VTAC

The sierra is a good bullet, I run them in the lady's gt and one my bra's. I also have the 109 eldm, and load them in my brothers 6gt. The 107s like to be 20-30k off, 109s we most consistent back around 55-70k jump range. They both routinely shoot half moa to a bit smaller at distance. I feel the pointed sierra is a lil more consistent within the same lot, but there is base to ogive differences from lot to lot. If you buy em, get enough of same lot to burn the barrel out. I have no experience with the vapor trails. The 107smk trued up at a 281g7 and 109 eldm trued up at 286. Very little difference. The eldm can be used on game but do not recommend putting the pointed 107s on flesh, if that makes a difference in your decision to hunt with the round.

Berger> DTAC >Sierra >Lapua > Don't shoot > Pick a new Hobby > Suck a dick > Hornady > Barnes > Nosler.
LOL! Thanks!

The DTAC comes in only 115 grains. Does it matter whether my Bartlein was cut with the Alpha Munitions Legacy Reamer with a .120” freebore? I thought that .120 was for the lower grain, i.e., lighter rounds?

Last edited:
LOL! Thanks!

The DTAC comes in only 115 grains. Does it matter whether my Bartlett was cut with the Alpha Munitions Legacy Reamer with a .120” freebore? I thought that .120 was for the lower grain, i.e., lighter rounds?
170fb is better for dtacs yes but guys have ran the 115s in the short fb reamer.

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
Does anyone have any load data for h4895 with a 105/108/112 bullet? I thought I saw someone have som good luck with it, but I can’t find the post.

Shot a match with the DTACS and felt my load was a touch on the hot side, primers were a little flat. Temp that day was 104-105. So decide to reduce the load a bit.

6GT Impact
Proof 7 twist @ 26”
H4350 33.7gr
Alpha 11x fired
CCI 450
115 DTACS
Velocity 2785fps

5 at 501yds
View attachment 8210057View attachment 8210058

I went from 34gn to 33gn of SW Precision Rifle with 112MBs (2850fps-2804fps) and am really digging it at ~2800fps, easier to see more on plates inside 500.

~2800fps it’s soft like a Dasher and my brass will last forever.

I went from 34gn to 33gn of SW Precision Rifle with 112MBs (2850fps-2804fps) and am really digging it at ~2800fps, easier to see more on plates inside 500.

I’m at 2825 with 30.2 varget in a br, maybe just a “fast” barrel?

Shot a match with the DTACS and felt my load was a touch on the hot side, primers were a little flat. Temp that day was 104-105. So decide to reduce the load a bit.

6GT Impact
Proof 7 twist @ 26”
H4350 33.7gr
Alpha 11x fired
CCI 450
115 DTACS
Velocity 2785fps

5 at 501yds
View attachment 8210057View attachment 8210058

Out of curiosity; how often are you annealing?

Thanks.

I’m at 2825 with 30.2 varget in a br, maybe just a “fast” barrel?

30gn in a BR case is a lot more case-fill than 33gn in a GT, I’m at maybe ~80% full or so… higher fill = more pressure = more speed I’d guess…

Out of curiosity; how often are you annealing?

Thanks.
I anneal after every firing.

Out of the original 300 pieces of Alpha brass I started with I’m down to about 220 pieces. Lost some at matches, trashed a few and probably have thrown away 40 for loose primer pockets.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggler1833
I have a Coupé SH coming and haven’t decided on adding another caliber like dasher or gt. I’ll try the br some more before making up my mind. Would be nice to stay with br…

My first GT barrel just didn’t like to be pushed hard. Ended shooting 109 Hybrids at 2778fps with Varget but it was stupid accurate and like yours nice smooth recoil.

Reactions: CK1.0
It's been a bit since I have been able to shoot due to injuries that required surgery. But I am back on my feet, not 100% but can shoot. Today I tested N555 with 110Atips in my 6GT. TL3, 27" straight taper Xcaliber 7.5 twist 5R barrel in MDT ACC Elite chassis with ZCO scope. Brass is Alpha OCD on 11th firing. Everything was shot with bipod and rear bag. No pressure issues.

IMG_20230904_133107.jpg

Last edited:
It's been a bit since I have been able to shoot due to injuries that required surgery. But I am back on my feet, not 100% but can shoot. Today I tested N555 with 110Atips in my 6GT. TL3, 27" straight taper Xcaliber 7.5 twist 5R barrel in MDT ACC Elite chassis with ZCO scope. Brass is Alpha OCD on 11th firing. Everything was shot with bipod and rear bag.

View attachment 8219616
2850 and 2920 in a gt hammering.......they all do that! Good shooting.

Reactions: Gtscotty
That will work. 37.6 of N555 under 110 Atip at .040 off lands. 800 yard yote. That was with virgin Alpha OCD brass to. Just ran mandrel and 3 way cutter to clean up case mouth, not really trimming them. Should tighten up after first firing.
20230910_175301.jpg
IMG_20230910_180251.jpg

Last edited:
Good evening lads,
With 110gr ATIP's, what did you find personally to be the optimal jump in your barrel?

I've just begun load development on a brand new 26" 1:7" bartlein with Alpha OCD brass and AR2208 powder.

MV will settle around 2800 most likely with approx 34.2gr

I picked a random jump of 0.060", 10 groups were hovering around 0.5 MOA at 100m so not a bad start.

Keen to hear your thoughts.

Not the 110s, but with the 106 A-Tips I was jumping ~35 thou, and they shot great (wish I had bought more while they were out there).

I did zero load development and was just trying them out, so I loaded them the same as I do with 112MBs I've been running for a while, same charge, didn't touch the dies. Due to their more tangent-ish ogive, they ended up ~35 thou off (with the same seating die, the more VLDish MBs end up 50 thou off).

Alpha Gay Tiger brass + 33gn SWPR yielded 2825fps out of a Proof SS 26" prefit.

I didn't shoot any 100 yard groups, but here's 6 shots at 750 yards off a cattle gate/Shmedium bag, 33% IPSC:

tempImageaz41Ja.png

@CK1.0 how far you jumping the 112mb? I have a 170fb chamber and touching they're quite a ways up neck.

I'm jumping the 112MBs 50 thou to the lands and would have tried more if I had more freebore like you (the boattail is below the neck/shoulder junction in my brass, which traditionally some say is bad, but increasingly I don't think really matters).
I've also had great luck with them jumping all the way out to 100 off in 6CM.

IME they like to jump (and IIRC Proof uses a standard SAAMI chamber, .119”FB for the GT, .183”FB for the CM).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4O6shootist
Good evening lads,
With 110gr ATIP's, what did you find personally to be the optimal jump in your barrel?

I've just begun load development on a brand new 26" 1:7" bartlein with Alpha OCD brass and AR2208 powder.

MV will settle around 2800 most likely with approx 34.2gr

I picked a random jump of 0.060", 10 groups were hovering around 0.5 MOA at 100m so not a bad start.

Keen to hear your thoughts.
I dis not do a seating test. I picked .040 as my start and had great results so all I did was charge weights. I did another charge weight test in .2 grains and ran it twice, new barrel and just had 100 rounds on it when I started with charge weight testing, barrel was still settling. The 37.6 load was starting to really shine and it is on a barrel time in QL. So I just went with it. 51 shots recorded with an SD of 4.3 on virgin brass. Sub half inch groups and it performs at distance. I am shooting a match this weekend so we will see how it does. I have seen others seat from .010 to .050 with good results. It does not appear that Atips are very sensitive to jump. You said your barrel is new. I would get at least 100 to 150 on it before I would do any real testing. I have noticed this last year that most of my guns like a seating depth that puts the bearing surface right in front of the neck shoulder junction. That is how I landed at the .040 number.

Reactions: 96C
I dis not do a seating test. I picked .040 as my start and had great results so all I did was charge weights. I did another charge weight test in .2 grains and ran it twice, new barrel and just had 100 rounds on it when I started with charge weight testing, barrel was still settling. The 37.6 load was starting to really shine and it is on a barrel time in QL. So I just went with it. 51 shots recorded with an SD of 4.3 on virgin brass. Sub half inch groups and it performs at distance. I am shooting a match this weekend so we will see how it does. I have seen others seat from .010 to .050 with good results. It does not appear that Atips are very sensitive to jump. You said your barrel is new. I would get at least 100 to 150 on it before I would do any real testing. I have noticed this last year that most of my guns like a seating depth that puts the bearing surface right in front of the neck shoulder junction. That is how I landed at the .040 number.
Man I found them to be kinda picky to get bughole accuracy in my 6bra. Found the velocity band of 2820-2830 to produce very little vertical at distance. So then tried from 10k to 80k off in 007 jump steps. I never could find something that would consistently print group in 2s and 3s. Half moa was bout the best they'd average. I'd love to get them shooting small, as the BC is killer, but I've had issues with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 96C
Man I found them to be kinda picky to get bunghole accuracy in my 6bra. Found the velocity band of 2820-2830 to produce very little vertical at distance. So then tried from 10k to 80k off in 007 jump steps. I never could find something that would consistently print group in 2s and 3s. Half moa was bout the best they'd average. I'd love to get them shooting small, as the BC is killer, but I've had issues with them.
Interesting. What twist are you running and what altitude are you at. I wonder what your SF # is

7.5tw, alt is 3300, DA generally 2000-5000 depending it's it's 0 in January or 85 in July.
I came up with a 1.6 with 1.5 being minimal. You might be seeing some stability issues. I like to see at least a 1.7 to 2.0 as we have seen lower SF numbers do not hold down range. Might shoot good at 100 but print a 6" vertical at 1k. Another way you can tell is to put up a plain white piece of paper and shoot it in different spots. Not shooting a group, just shooting holes all over. Then look at the black ring left on the paper. Look for cemetery in the black. If it is darker on one side then that is a sign the bullet is not 100% stabilizing. The other thing if you have not tried it is run them closer. .010 to .060 I have had good luck with most bullets shooting at .025 to .040 off the lands and they all seem to have the bearing surface just in front of the neck shoulder junction.

Stability Factor is one of those things that is misunderstood as it's not necessarily the hard rule it sounds like... it's not a black-or-white, stable vs unstable thing. Its usefulness depends on, and is subjective, depending on what distance one is shooting.

I've shot a lot of bullets that fall into the "marginally stable" range using Berger's twist rate stability calculator that positively hammer downrange.

Different bullets will stabilize at different distances, and some bullets stabilize faster than others, so just because a bullet may not fully stabilize by 100 yards doesn't mean it can't still hammer downrange (you just may or may not be able to squeak out the smallest groups inside the range when it does fully stabilize, which could be 120, 130, 200, etc). @John Glidewell describes it happening to him the other way, good groups but wonky vertical downrange, and while I've heard other guys talk about experiencing that, for me, having never really shot anything lighter than a 108 in 6mm, it's almost always been the opposite.

Longer VLDish and/or heavyish-for-caliber bullets like 115 DTACs, 110 A-Tips, and 112MBs are almost always going to come up slightly "marginally stable" with Berger's calculator, yet they are efficient and still shoot great, yielding .300+ G7s without having to push the speed limits.

If it makes one feel better, just don't use Berger's calculator, use this one where anything between 1.3 - 2.0 is considered good to go lol: https://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

My newest 6gt........Bartlein 7.5tw carbon rem varm. There's a major issue with it. Walks right about half to 0.6 mil as it warms up, then starts stacking shots. I've repeated this test two more additional times by alternating the first 10 rounds with each ammo sample, and same shit, half mil + walk right, but by round 10 or 12, it'll stack em, highest shot string I've went is 20 and it still under half moa.

I heard a few other have had to same problem with some 6mm Bartlein carbons, talked to one guy directly who had a bad barrel, Bart blames poor heat treat. Usually Bartleins are up to the task, but obviously some junk gets past the door too.

This photo is 3 different loads from a 22" 6gt on a bat action, 107smk at 2880, 108bt at 2860, and 115dtac at 2860. It does this every time I shoot it. Bartlein tells me they won't do anything till I have over 200 rounds and it's settled, blew my mind.

Load development was making me furious, I rarely ever shoot a carbon more than 6-8 rounds, before cooling. This is my 8th gt barrel, I know what they like........and this liked nothing.....until it got too hot to touch. I randomly out of anger one day just kept shooting, and by miracle it shot some tiny groups, blazing hot. It's repeated this tendency 6 times now with 19-20 shot groups.
20230912_121806.jpg

My newest 6gt........Bartlein 7.5tw carbon rem varm. There's a major issue with it. Walks right about half to 0.6 mil as it warms up, then starts stacking shots. I've repeated this test two more additional times by alternating the first 10 rounds with each ammo sample, and same shit, half mil + walk right, but by round 10 or 12, it'll stack em, highest shot string I've went is 20 and it still under half moa.

I heard a few other have had to same problem with some 6mm Bartlein carbons, talked to one guy directly who had a bad barrel, Bart blames poor heat treat. Usually Bartleins are up to the task, but obviously some junk gets past the door too.

This photo is 3 different loads from a 22" 6gt on a bat action, 107smk at 2880, 108bt at 2860, and 115dtac at 2860. It does this every time I shoot it. Bartlein tells me they won't do anything till I have over 200 rounds and it's settled, blew my mind.

Load development was making me furious, I rarely ever shoot a carbon more than 6-8 rounds, before cooling. This is my 8th gt barrel, I know what they like........and this liked nothing.....until it got too hot to touch. I randomly out of anger one day just kept shooting, and by miracle it shot some tiny groups, blazing hot. It's repeated this tendency 6 times now with 19-20 shot groups.
View attachment 8227665

Per our discussions earlier on guys who can spin up AI barrels, the dude I have all my work done by has had the exact same experience with a Bartlein carbon. However he never mentioned having to put 200 through it before they corrected the issue.

Hopefully you get it corrected sooner. Few things less enjoyable than having to burn rounds to get a barrel to settle down.