• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BR Norma reamer

A5scott

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Eastern PA
I talked to JGS and 6mm BR Norma, (I think CIP) their reamer print 1262 has a .094" freebore with a tapered 0.271"-.0272" neck.

I plan to run 105 or 108 grain Bergers and was wondering if that freebore will work.

I will buy Lapua 105 Scenar loaded ammo to start and reload the once fired brass.

I can have them make one special with the 0.104" freeborn and a 0.272" neck if that's necessary.

Also, for barrels, is a 0.237" land a good fit for this cartridge?

Thanks,
Scott

The reamer should work fine. Longer throat if you feel the need, howevee dummy up a cartridge at home to measure OAL, and make sure it feeds in your mag. If you havw a LONGER throat, it will seat the proj out further. BR is short it wont be a problem, but ALWAYS check twice, buy once...

Reactions: A5scott
I'm more concerned about getting the neck right as I don't want to turn necks. Everything I have read says 0.2720" neck is gtg, but I'm not sure how the taper on the reamer would affect this.

thank you,

Scott

My Manson 6br (not norma) is 0.2715", i just measured it. Unknown freebore, id have to cut a hole and use a gauge to confirm, and cbf'd right now.

I do know that when i order reamers, i always specify non-tapered if given the option.

I have a JGS 6BR Norma reamer, .098 freebore, .268 neck and have excellent luck with 105 hybrids.

I bought the Alpha reamer with .120" freebore and .274" neck. It'll be more forgiving with longer shot strings and no cleaning than the .272".

Reactions: Hoyt7mm
Neck clearance would be fine with Lapua brass. Personally, I would go with a 274 neck so you have ability to use different mfg brass (Peterson/Alpha) without worrying about clearance.

I bought the Alpha reamer with .120" freebore and .274" neck. It'll be more forgiving with longer shot strings and no cleaning than the .272".

I forgot that Alpha sells reamers... thank you for the reminder. I wonder if all the BR reamers are .274" neck. They have options to choose for the free bore.

Are there any cons to running a .274" neck? The neck gets worked a bit more, but shouldn't be s huge deal with Lapua brass.

Will a larger neck seal the chamber just as good as a .272" neck?

Thanks again,
Scott

I talked to JGS and 6mm BR Norma, (I think CIP) their reamer print 1262 has a .094" freebore with a tapered 0.271"-.0272" neck.

I plan to run 105 or 108 grain Bergers and was wondering if that freebore will work.

I will buy Lapua 105 Scenar loaded ammo to start and reload the once fired brass.

I can have them make one special with the 0.104" freeborn and a 0.272" neck if that's necessary.

Also, for barrels, is a 0.237" land a good fit for this cartridge?

Thanks,
Scott
I have that JGS reamer. It’ll be great for 105s and 108s.

Most customers use Lapua brass, I believe, with no neck turning needed. My teammate is shooting that right now with 105s.

I forgot that Alpha sells reamers... thank you for the reminder. I wonder if all the BR reamers are .274" neck. They have options to choose for the free bore.

Are there any cons to running a .274" neck? The neck gets worked a bit more, but shouldn't be s huge deal with Lapua brass.

Will a larger neck seal the chamber just as good as a .272" neck?

Thanks again,
Scott
They’re all .274”. The rest is trivial.

Mine was a .268 non tapered and yes turning necks is a royal pain (but on a cold winters night it beats watching TV.).

Im not sure the reamer @AccuSol-ERN uses for this and my first 5 shot group from a Bartlein prefit he chambered was under .200”……

No load development.

Just used a prior known load (30.0 Varget) and a 105 VLD 15 thou off the lands.

No turn neck.

Im not sure the reamer @AccuSol-ERN uses for this and my first 5 shot group from a Bartlein prefit he chambered was under .200”……

No load development.

Just used a prior known load (30.0 Varget) and a 105 VLD 15 thou off the lands.

No turn neck.
Since annealing has become as common as trimming nowadays......over working the necks has really become a non-issue. Shooters are more focused on ease of reloading and 100% reliability. I use a .274 neck and .120 freebore on 1.5 degree lead angle. You can get more fine tuned for a specific bullet, but this spec is a jack of all trades and shoots everything well in a good barrel with a properly machined chamber.

Alpha makes great reamers, just keep in mind they are carbide and cost about $400.

Ern

JGS is doing a run in a month or so, and I'll just make a couple modifications to their 1262 print to open the neck a bit and give it a touch more free bore

thanks again for the replies.

Scott

Reactions: iceng