Short Action Customs Sizing & Seating Dies - Evaluation & Discussion

HemiPowrd

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
SAC Mandrels arrived this afternoon. I however do not know how to remove the 6mm ER11 Collet and replace with the 1/4” ER11 Collet. I searched for a YouTube video but was unsuccessful.

Anybody have specific details on how this is completed?
I had the same issue with my 6.5 CM sizing die yesterday. At least with mine it didn't just pull right out. Push the tip of the collet sideways and when it starts to move to the side rock it a little bit side to side perpendicular to the initial push direction and maintain the original sideways pressure and it will pop out. Not an intuitive process. SAC really should have instructions posted on their website.

Reactions: endlesscoffee

Kpchurch

Voluntold Youso
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, I’ll give this a try after dinner tonight. Yes, instructions with a link to a quick YouTube video would be very helpful.
I had the same issue with my 6.5 CM sizing die yesterday. At least with mine it didn't just pull right out. Push the tip of the collet sideways and when it starts to move to the side rock it a little bit side to side perpendicular to the initial push direction and maintain the original sideways pressure and it will pop out. Not an intuitive process. SAC really should have instructions posted on their website.

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Anyone else have an issue with the depriming pin getting pushed up?

I think I’m missing a piece inside the die or something.
If you're having a problem with the decapping pin getting pushed up it is likely either...

1). The top cap needs to be tightened down a little bit with a wrench. We do make a 7075 Aluminum Anodized wrench to do this and fit the Hornady style lock ring.

2). A larger ER11 collet got installed than what should have been. This is unlikely, but let us know what you find out and we can get you taken care of.

Mark.

Reactions: Hegre and Baron23

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
Guys, just checking in to give an update. We now have 3 "Mill/Turn" style lathes to support the products. One machine is dedicated to die body production, another is dedicated to Neck Sizing Bushings, Neck/Shoulder Bushings, and the last is for everything else. Now finding a quality machinist to help me has proven to be the most difficult task of all.

Be as it is, we are going to be trying to answer the call for the Short Magnum dies, and some long action magnum dies. We are investing in some new custom tooling from Guhring to help with production, but the biggest bottle neck is getting material, and being in front of the machine, tracking every part that comes out. There are a few critical tolerances that are pretty tight, so I personally have been running production on these dies among everything else. So the wheels have been turning a little slower than what I like.

S3th

Indecisive
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2018
Greensboro NC
Anyone having issues seating 6.5 Creedmoor to the lands? I have adjusted as much as possible (without moving shell holder and die worlds apart) and I am at a max of 2.84" with 140gr ELDMs.

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
Anyone having issues seating 6.5 Creedmoor to the lands? I have adjusted as much as possible (without moving shell holder and die worlds apart) and I am at a max of 2.84" with 140gr ELDMs.

You can try the Model 2 bullet seating stem that should have come with the bullet seating die. Shoot us an E-mail at [email protected] if you have any problems.

Mark.

Reactions: S3th

acudaowner

Two Star General
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
loved the pics that's a nice neat reloading area while drooling in envy . so what really is the difference between custom dies and factory dies I am guessing closer tolerances but figure it has to be more if to only justify the cost differences .either way it sounds like you got a lot a head of you shooting and reloading wise thanks for this post will keep an eye on others .

Krob95

Elite Sand Master Race
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    Guys, just checking in to give an update. We now have 3 "Mill/Turn" style lathes to support the products. One machine is dedicated to die body production, another is dedicated to Neck Sizing Bushings, Neck/Shoulder Bushings, and the last is for everything else. Now finding a quality machinist to help me has proven to be the most difficult task of all.

Be as it is, we are going to be trying to answer the call for the Short Magnum dies, and some long action magnum dies. We are investing in some new custom tooling from Guhring to help with production, but the biggest bottle neck is getting material, and being in front of the machine, tracking every part that comes out. There are a few critical tolerances that are pretty tight, so I personally have been running production on these dies among everything else. So the wheels have been turning a little slower than what I like.
    Any idea when different caliber bushings will be available? Mainly for a 22GT? My GT die has been sitting idle for quite some time. But my 6BRA die works flawlessly as does the seating die!

XTREM HTR16

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Nov 19, 2011
    USA

I’m happy to preorder and prepay for the short mag dies, whenever you open it up!

Rover31

Jedi Master
    Minuteman
    Oct 27, 2007
    Mos Eisley
    897C170D-B14E-430D-9D96-4988A7860097.jpeg

Got mine a few weeks ago

davere

Double Oh Negative
    Minuteman
    @davere gotcha missread that
    I do have the mandrel from LE Wilson. might try them

I have a Sinclair mandrel already. I think maybe you haven't seen the SAC mandrel, and how it functions with the size die? It replaces the decapping stem (I don't decap during size operation anyway), and both saves you a step, and theoretically ensures neck to case body concentricity and straightness.

For me, there's two big reasons to switch to this die, and the integrated mandrel is one of them. The other is the bushing being neck/shoulder, so theoretically no more donuts (plus easier control over shoulder bump via shims).

Reactions: Rover31

giumau1

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2020
    Italy
    just received the modular sizing die for creedmoor calibers.
    This stuff is work of art period end of story. Being dies one the most durable and long term investment an handloader can make, this is worth every penny.

NodakBarbarian

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 30, 2019
    North Dakota
    What neck bushing have any of you used for Alpha OCD Dasher brass? Will be using the mandrel so want to slightly undersize the neck.
    Thanks

usmc45

Private
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Feb 8, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Is there an option for a 22GT sizing die with these SAC set ups? Been working on a 22GT project and have everything but the dies.

davere

Double Oh Negative
    Minuteman
    @Mgordon is the mandrel going back online? New website doesn't have a few things listed.

While it's a tiny fraction of the user base, I would love to see .25 cal mandrels to accompany the .25 cal Creed neck/shoulder bushings.

It also strikes me that... couldn't turning a BRA die into a BR die just be a matter of a different bushing? Really, seems like you could maybe make a single die and service all the BR based cases just by swapping bushings. I'm probably missing some detail that prevents that, but...

NiteQwill

Best to jump high, and far!
    Minuteman
    Jun 26, 2012
    Uncle Sam's Bottom
    While it's a tiny fraction of the user base, I would love to see .25 cal mandrels to accompany the .25 cal Creed neck/shoulder bushings.

It also strikes me that... couldn't turning a BRA die into a BR die just be a matter of a different bushing? Really, seems like you could maybe make a single die and service all the BR based cases just by swapping bushings. I'm probably missing some detail that prevents that, but...
    I haven't looked recently but I believe they were selling those mandrels. I currently use their mandrel with my 6GT die and can't use anything else anymore without complaining... 😆

Cynical

Private
    Minuteman
  • Apr 14, 2010
    Are these supposed to seat off of ogive?

Definitely not doing it with Hybrid 140s.
    Definitely don’t want to speak for @Mgordon but I think the answer is no. The seating stems might happen to touch a given bullet at the ogive but they’re not designed to only make contact at that point. The stems are a set size for a range of bullets and diameters (think like a funnel shape going over the bullet); for 6mm bullets the stem I use touches well above the ogive. On 6.5 it would contact closer to the ogive. 30 cal even closer.

Reactions: davere

Hegre

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jan 6, 2020
    It would be very cool if SAC could also release an Arbor version of the seating die.

Varminteer

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 18, 2005
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    If I understand correctly, the case (case neck already large from firing) slides past the mandrel on the way to the bushing. The bushing sizes the neck down and then the mandrel does its thing as the case leaves the die.

The detail is having the mandrel come into play immediately as the case neck leaves the bushing. Great idea from SAC.

I bet most of us already have Redding (or other similar brands) of FL bushing dies on the reloading table. Maybe as an experiment move a Redding ID sizer "mandrel" closer to the bushing (shoulder/neck junction) ? Would this accomplish the same thing?

I'm going to try it on my Redding FL bushing die in 22-250rem. I'll shorten the threads on the rod that holds the "mandrel" to move it closer to the should/neck junction.

Of course there is no substitute for the higher quality die and attention to detail that SAC provides in their products. But the concept of the bushing/mandrel setup might be workable in other dies we all have on hand.

Varminteer

Private
    Minuteman
    Dec 18, 2005
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    About the ER collets. If you're buying your own get a high quality collet, like the German or Swiss make. Avoid the Chinese stuff, concentricity issues (run out) is not good. We use a lot of collets at my work, quality tooling makes a big difference.