• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Short Action Customs Sizing & Seating Dies - Evaluation & Discussion

My attempt at, “poking the bear” was silly, and unwarranted. Sometimes I get caught up in internet land, where we aren’t really held accountable for the things we say.
I apologize.

Reactions: orkan
Looking forward to a set of SAC 6.5 SAUM dies in the (hopefully) not too distant future.
With the right support, there's no reason we can't all give SAC the justification they need to become a "single source" die manufacturer for us. All cartridges, big and small, deserve to have dies as nice as the one I've experienced. Some will no doubt be easier, and more popular than others. It's reasonable to give SAC some time to work into that complicated web.

@Mgordon - Question: Since your using machine tool collets. Would you consider adding flats to the top of the die body (if it's thick enough)?

A possible alternative would be to just put a hole or slot @ top of die body for short spanner wrench. Or set of spanners (nut/body).

1616363030784.png

@orkan , have you tested or played with the Bullet Central Micron sizing die yet?
While not as feature-rich, seems to be well received by shooters.

I'm in the market for a 6BRA sizer is the reason I ask... the Micron's are currently in stock.

Thanks for your feedback on the SAC die.

Recorded a nice test session with the SAC Bullet Seating die today. Seated 100 .22cal 80gr Berger VLD Target bullets in Alpha OCD 22 Creedmoor cases for an extreme spread BTO of 1.5 thousandths. The vast majority of them were within half a thousandth of each other, which frankly exceeds my caliper's capabilities to even resolve.

The seating die did not appear to contribute any measurable runout to the process. The cases were fired and sized in a whidden FL sizer prior to being loaded.

Definitely an excellent product that is producing excellent results.

Last edited:
Good news = they added 308win to their sizing die line up.

Bad news = price for sizing dies went up $75.

Reactions: S3th
As long as they refuse to compromise on design and quality control... I'll happily pay whatever they ask. Amortized across 20k-50k rounds loaded... the cost of the die is fairly irrelevant to me.
I agree. You always provide sound logic on all topics. You even convinced me to try tumbling with rice.

But SAC could at least list 30cal bushings at the same time they offer 30cal sizing dies. What a tease.

As long as they refuse to compromise on design and quality control... I'll happily pay whatever they ask. Amortized across 20k-50k rounds loaded... the cost of the die is fairly irrelevant to me.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor die on backorder that I was thinking about canceling and just going with MA Gold Match. As MA are roughly $120 + shipping (seem to be good quality - 0.0005" or so they say) vs. $410 + shipping for SAC once you add collet, bushing, mandrel, and die body. But you are right. The die is a fixed asset that has indefinite life for most users + good resale value. The premium is well worth it based on your review.

The premium is well worth it based on your review.
There ya go! That's the attitude that will ensure SAC is properly compensated to provide the very best machining and the very best metal treatments available to produce the best possible dies. It all costs money, and they need to make a profit after all of that, and it should be a good profit if we expect them to stay the course.

The second people start trying to punish them for it... they'll have a fiduciary responsibility to start moving prices downward... and quality will move downward right with it. That is unacceptable to me.

Those that want cheap dies... take your pick from any of the many sources already available. Those of us that want the BEST dies need a source that is untainted by the "good enough" mindset.

I appreciate the review. I just joined the 6BR club and ordered a resizing die. It's backordered, hopefully the wait won't be too long.

For anyone using the 6mm BR sizing die with the expander mandrel, what size mandrel are you using? I'd like to load the 105 Bergers and was wondering if the 0.2415 would work? TIA.

I think that will depend on which bushing you are using. I have the 6 Dasher die and I started with the .267 bushing (Lapua brass 0.0125 - 0.013 necks) and using a .241 mandrel (21st century) I didn’t get much expansion after spring back. If I pull (or push) hard enough I’ll move the 105 Berger with my hand.

I’m going to test the .266 and .265 bushings on Monday when my SAC .241 mandrel comes in so I can test all in 1 step vs 2 right now.

(and yes, I anneal before sizing)

Reactions: Defender3
I think that will depend on which bushing you are using. I have the 6 Dasher die and I started with the .267 bushing (Lapua brass 0.0125 - 0.013 necks) and using a .241 mandrel (21st century) I didn’t get much expansion after spring back. If I pull (or push) hard enough I’ll move the 105 Berger with my hand.

I’m going to test the .266 and .265 bushings on Monday when my SAC .241 mandrel comes in so I can test all in 1 step vs 2 right now.

(and yes, I anneal before sizing)
Thanks. I ordered a .266 and .267. At $40 a pop for their mandrels, I'd like to get close sooner rather than later. ;) I also sent them a note asking if they had a recommendation based off using Lapua brass with the 105 Bergers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cynical
Need some 22cal Mandrels from them so I can repurpose that 6GT die 😅

Thanks. I'm ordered a .266 and .267. At $40 a pop for their mandrels, I'd like to get close sooner rather than later. ;) I also sent them a note asking if they had a recommendation based off using Lapua brass with the 105 Bergers.

Would love to see a follow up from you and @Graye2 when the mandrels arrive. I was processing my 6mm stuff ahead of time and then running it through the 21st century mandrel right before loading (so the entire batch ideally stays consistent a week later when I need it). I don’t think I’ll save a step though because I’ve got to decap after annealing with a universal decapper instead of the sizing die this way.

And since I have one of the 6.5 sizing dies on back order (since November), I’m really happy to hear they’re working on them.

Reactions: Kpchurch
Nice! I have my 6GT die, just waiting on my 6mmBRA die still

Just placed an order for a couple of the new mandrels in 6mm. It will be nice to combine the sizing & expanding all within the same step.

I’ve been impressed with SAC quality. I see the SAC being the go to die for those that are serious / precise in precision rifle reloading.
6514DEF6-E99F-4DCB-BE41-6993A23FC16A.jpeg

Last edited:
So as I’m getting mine ready for action tomorrow, I notice that the bushing is tight against the collet when screwed down, unlike the Redding Type S bushing that they recommend a little play in. I assume that I have it set up correctly?

So as I’m getting mine ready for action tomorrow, I notice that the bushing is tight against the collet when screwed down, unlike the Redding Type S bushing that they recommend a little play in. I assume that I have it set up correctly?
Yup, pretty sure the taper pushes up against the bushing and keeps it nice and tight.

My 0.2620” mandrel arrived and I am measuring 0.2630”. What is everyone else measuring for their reported size?

maybe they are all 0.001” oversized for spring back?

My 0.2620” mandrel arrived and I am measuring 0.2630”. What is everyone else measuring for their reported size?

maybe they are all 0.001” oversized for spring back?
I had this issue when I was using Harbor Freight calipers (still do lol). Compare it to a quality bullet OD, if you’re using cheap calipers like mine; it should be 0.002” less if it’s the mandrel you ordered.

Reactions: Terry of illinois
I had this issue when I was using Harbor Freight calipers (still do lol). Compare it to a quality bullet OD, if you’re using cheap calipers like mine; it should be 0.002” less if it’s the mandrel you ordered.
I’m not using cheap calibers like HF. Anyways, yes, my bullets are measuring .224 and .264 exactly.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
That doesn’t tell me what you’re using.
Yeah, the round about answer makes me immediately suspicious

I was super confident in mine too, until I got another to compare against. And that led to another to compare against.

Suspicious of what? My caliper not being accurate?
Yeah. A good micrometer is needed to make judgement calls between thousandths to me. I can make a caliper vary with absent minded thumb pressure alone. I too thought that about a 21st mandrel, caliper I could make lie but the mic backed it up.

Some calipers can measure .0001-.0009 as 0 and .0010-.0019 as .0001 and .0020-.0029 as .002 and some treat it like 0-.0005 as 0 and .0006-.0015 as .001 and .0016-.0025 as .002

Its tough to divine between what its split the difference and see whats really showing.

Last edited:
Strange how it can accurately measure bullets to 0.2240” and 0.2640” but apparently once I measure a mandrel labeled as 0.2620” as 0.2630” it’s now suspiciously inaccurate.

My SAC Bushing of 0.2880” measures 0.2880”. But yeah, who knows why the mandrel is reading 0.2630”.

Last edited:
Strange how it can accurately measure bullets to 0.2240” and 0.2640” but apparently once I measure a mandrel labeled as 0.2620” as 0.2630” it’s now suspiciously inaccurate.

My SAC Bushing of 0.2880” measures 0.2880”. But yeah, who knows why the mandrel is reading 0.2630”.
I'm generally with you on this one, that's why I suggested the comparison. Another test you could run would be to size a case, run the mandrel, check neck OD, then load up a bullet and check again. If the OD increased by 0.002", you're good to go.

I'm generally with you on this one, that's why I suggested the comparison. Another test you could run would be to size a case, run the mandrel, check neck OD, then load up a bullet and check again. If the OD increased by 0.002", you're good to go.
Waiting on the die. Maybe others with mandrels can provide feedback on their measurement. I imagine, they will all measure as labeled.

Suspicious of what? My caliper not being accurate?
No caliper is accurate enough. The calibration certificate that comes with it will confirm this. A caliper in the right hands is good for no smaller than +/-.002” discrimination.
You’re using the wrong tool. You need a micrometer. If it still measures different than what you ordered, I know SAC will set you right, but until you can accurately measure to the thou, I wouldn’t even bother.

Would love to see them do a short mag seating die. 6.5 SAUM/PRC, 7 SAUM, 300 WSM are all in my stable and one die for all of them would be awesome.
Correct me if I'm wrong...doesn't the SAC "The Seating Die" work for those you have listed? I see it advertised as one stop shop for seating bullets to all ranges of cals with the 2 seating sleeves.

Correct me if I'm wrong...doesn't the SAC "The Seating Die" work for those you have listed? I see it advertised as one stop shop for seating bullets to all ranges of cals with the 2 seating sleeves.
The Bullet Seating Die is designed to be the only bullet seating die you will ever need for a family of cartridge bodies. For example, with out purchasing any additional parts, you can easily and precisely seat bullets in any cartridge body which has a base diameter (.200" above the bolt face) of .470" to .473" in diameter. That is virtually every short action, standard bolt face cartridge!!!

Reactions: PFG
I have their seating die that I set up for 6BR. I didn't figure I'd ever really use it for other calibers but did the other day with 22 Creed. I just pulled the ball from the die and it was set up just about perfect. Once a WSM/SAUM seater comes out I'm in for that as well.

I checked on getting the Dasher sizer but it's late summer/early fall.

Reactions: S3th
SAC Mandrels arrived this afternoon. I however do not know how to remove the 6mm ER11 Collet and replace with the 1/4” ER11 Collet. I searched for a YouTube video but was unsuccessful.

Anybody have specific details on how this is completed?

SAC Mandrels arrived this afternoon. I however do not know how to remove the 6mm ER11 Collet and replace with the 1/4” ER11 Collet. I searched for a YouTube video but was unsuccessful.

Anybody have specific details on how this is completed?
Yes, it pulls right off. That's it.

Reactions: Graye2