• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 6mm BR to 243 WIN

C Snyder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2007
OK
How much set back will be required to rechamber a 6BR to 243WIN. Just trying to plan my next build. just purchaced another 6br from a friend and was thinking of punching one out to a 243.

Thanks

Re: 6mm BR to 243 WIN

Depends on a few things. What did the barrels come off of? A 243 has the same base/case head diameter as the 6BR but will probably need some amount of setback to clean up the existing 6BR chamber or you'll have a ring at the base. Probably a full turn at the least. If the barrel is from a donor action of different thread extension spec as the action it will eventually be installed upon, it may be a moot point.

Mike Luckett reamed my 6br out to 243 for me no prob, I don't believe he had to set it back any at all, shots like a dream, should be a good easy conversion and he is in NW Oklahoma, he is a damn good reasonably priced smith.

I would wonder why you would want to rechamber a 6BR, but it sounds like you already have a 6B. I assume you want a 6mm with a bit more speed than the 6BR, if so, take a hard look at the 6mm Ackley if you haven't already.

It would probably depend on how much runout the current chamber has. When I'm done with a chamber there is less than .0001 runout in relationship from the bore to the chamber. All of this is verified by .0001" dial indicators in the throat, neck, shoulder and case body. So if I'm setting a bigger heavier barrel back that has the room, I will pretty much just cut the whole chamber off and bore out the remainder and neck. This way the new threads and chamber I know will be concentric.

If there is any runout in the old chamber its really hard/impossible to removed it simply by just plunging the new reamer in for the new caliber.

Mark

I built a 6br on an action with a 27" H&S barrel and was thinking about punching it out to 243. I will do all the work myself, just figured I would get an idea if I just needed to cut off the old tenon and start from new.

The barrel only has 400rds thru it and shoots around 1/4 - 3/8 moa.

I just bought another 6BR from a friend that was rebuilt by GAP and hate to punch that one out just because of who recently did the work on it. it also shoots lights out

If nothing else I may have a very nice 6BR in the for sale section.