• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BR

lotta potential there for sure...and the 95gTMK has to be a bit better at 200-250fps faster than a 105-108

Here is a side by side comparison of the 105 Hybrid using my go to load which is 2850 fps and the final 95 TMK load I believe where I will stop @ 3040fps. 95TMK has better elevation all the way out to 1000yds (farthest I ran the numbers) and very close in windage to the 105 with a .1 difference.

For as cheap as I got these 500ct boxes of 95 TMK's with the big Powder Valley Sierra sale last month and the accuracy Im seeing, its a no brainer of the 105's for me. About $60 per 500ct box cheaper than the 105 Bergers.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
Here is a side by side comparison of the 105 Hybrid using my go to load which is 2850 fps and the final 95 TMK load I believe where I will stop @ 3040fps. 95TMK has better elevation all the way out to 1000yds (farthest I ran the numbers) and very close in windage to the 105 with a .1 difference.

Just curious, what BCs are you using for each bullet?

Thanks!

Just curious, what BCs are you using for each bullet?

Thanks!

Whatever BC used in JBM Ballistics Library

I use JBM Ballistics Calculator for every load I work up and its almost always dead on or very close.

105 Hybrid says 0.275 G7
95 TMK says 1550-3050fps 0.490 G1 so thats what its using. If you get them going above 3050 G1 is 0.500

Reactions: BoilerUP
I'm thinking about getting a 6BR spun up. Do you recommend a 26" or 28" barrel? It will be used primarily in comps.

padom, thanks for posting your info.
Your info mirrors mine. It amazes me how one person can post info and get an argument
form someone that hasn't done the testing but looks at numbers and thinks he's right and you're wrong. (reubenski)
Don't aways limit yourself to what everyone else is doing and think your way is the only way.

Hey guys I just had to share this crazy small vertical I shot this morning at ""1000Y"" with my 6mmBR - as witnessed by two of my shooting buddy's, Steve and Mark.

I know it's almost unbelievable but that is a mag full consisting of 10 shots. The big group has 4 or 5 shots in it, I'll get back to that soon.

The high one is about 4" above and the rest are into 1.3" vertical, for 9 shots!!!

So if you look closely after expanding the photo there are two holes from my 30 caliber that got poked through this AR400 steel at 200Y many years ago. Those holes just happen to be close to where the larger group of hits from my 6mmBR are. The reason I said 4 or 5 hits is because I didn't hear one of the shots hit the steel. If you look closely at the 10 oclock position on the higher and right-er poked hole there is a graze on the edge of it, at least I think it is, and I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt, ?

This was shot at around 50 degrees in a half value wind of 1-4 mph with a DA of 6000.

Shot from the bed of my truck off the LRI bipod and Traid tactical rear bag. Mausingfield action, Shilen select match prefit, Bighorn barrel nut, TT diamond trigger set at 10oz, GRI Bolthorn chassis, S&B 5-25x56 PM2 in ARC rings.

I'm going to put this same post in the range report forum as well.

DSC00167.JPG
DSC00170.JPG

Hey guys I just had to share this crazy small vertical I shot this morning at ""1000Y"" with my 6mmBR - as witnessed by two of my shooting buddy's, Steve and Mark.

I know it's almost unbelievable but that is a mag full consisting of 10 shots. The big group has 4 or 5 shots in it, I'll get back to that soon.

The high one is about 4" above and the rest are into 1.3" vertical, for 9 shots!!!

So if you look closely after expanding the photo there are two holes from my 30 caliber that got poked through this AR400 steel at 200Y many years ago. Those holes just happen to be close to where the larger group of hits from my 6mmBR are. The reason I said 4 or 5 hits is because I didn't hear one of the shots hit the steel. If you look closely at the 10 oclock position on the higher and right-er poked hole there is a graze on the edge of it, at least I think it is, and I'm going to give myself the benefit of the doubt, ?

This was shot at around 50 degrees in a half value wind of 1-4 mph with a DA of 6000.

Shot from the bed of my truck off the LRI bipod and Traid tactical rear bag. Mausingfield action, Shilen select match prefit, Bighorn barrel nut, TT diamond trigger set at 10oz, GRI Bolthorn chassis, S&B 5-25x56 PM2 in ARC rings.

I'm going to put this same post in the range report forum as well.

View attachment 7179063View attachment 7179064
107s or 105s?

Anyone have experience with the Hornady 87 BTHP? Picked up a box for cheap and I’m thinking of working up around 29 to 31ish grains of Varget.

Been trying to conserve my Varget lately and have had pretty good luck with H4895
29.3 grains H4895
CCI 450
105 RDF seated .050" off
2855 out of a 24" Benchmark @65F (This lot of H4895 doesn't seem to be very temp stable)

I'm pretty happy with that speed out of a 24" tube.

Been trying to conserve my Varget lately and have had pretty good luck with H4895
29.3 grains H4895
CCI 450
105 RDF seated .050" off
2855 out of a 24" Benchmark @65F (This lot of H4895 doesn't seem to be very temp stable)

I'm pretty happy with that speed out of a 24" tube.

I just started shooting a BRA and found the same thing with the 4895...from my truck...60ish to 30ish I had about a 30-40fps spread.

I just started shooting a BRA and found the same thing with the 4895...from my truck...60ish to 30ish I had about a 30-40fps spread.

Thats exactly what I've seen from this current lot of 4895 1-1.2fps/degree. It seems like I never had temp issues until this current lot, but most of my H4895 usage has been in a 308 if that may make a difference

Thats exactly what I've seen from this current lot of 4895 1-1.2fps/degree. It seems like I never had temp issues until this current lot, but most of my H4895 usage has been in a 308 if that may make a difference

im not sure ive never used 4895 until this BRA but i have read a few guys on AS having the same issues.

Can't seem to find Varget right now and I'm down to one pound. Seems to be super hard to source too. I have a few pounds of 8208xbr, some AR Comp, and some CFE223 I'm thinking about trying. Also considering buying some RL15 or H4895 to try. Bullet of choice is 108 ELD-M. Any opinions on best Varget alternative for the heavies?

I have a 1 in 8 6mm BR Bart 28 inch barrel. Bad loads Hornady or Sierra anything are sub .5 MOA. Good loads are Berger and Lapua Scenar .20-.25. Bullet weights from 95-115. The best ones are 105. Using Varget 28-31 grains depending on the bullet. Federal match primers.

It is on a Savage M12 with a Hs Precision stock. I might spin it off and put it on a Nucleus just so I can use a proper trigger.

I'm still absolutely astounded how much those RDF's suck! So bad in fact I thought my scope might be broke or something had come loose. They didn't even feed well in my rifle.

Relieved

Dude! I am not sure why Nosler can't produce a match bullet that shoots.

I have probably shot 1000 accubonds in a 6.5x47 Lapua, because they were all that was available during the firearms chrisis in Australia in 2012. They are good shooters, but Nosler's match bullets really suck. You might as well shoot ballistic tips or accubonds if you have to wear a Nosler cap.

I am convinced that the best answer is Lapua, Hornady, or Berger. There are some small boutique bullet companies around that cater to the BR world. I have enough drama in my life without a boutique bullet.

I am convinced that the best answer is Lapua, Hornady, or Berger. There are some small boutique bullet companies around that cater to the BR world. I have enough drama in my life without a boutique bullet.

i believe Robert Hoppe set a 600yd record with 105g hornady bullets in a dasher in 2008ish...but yes the custom bullets rule the roost in BR.

Dude! I am not sure why Nosler can't produce a match bullet that shoots.

I have probably shot 1000 accubonds in a 6.5x47 Lapua, because they were all that was available during the firearms chrisis in Australia in 2012. They are good shooters, but Nosler's match bullets really suck. You might as well shoot ballistic tips or accubonds if you have to wear a Nosler cap.

I bought 1000 30 cal 155gr CC's that don't shoot very good either, but not horrible like the 6mm 105 RDF's did. As soon as these 30 cals are gone I'm trying some other brand.

Some guys I know are having good luck with the Barnes 112's but mine is a 8 twist so I'm not going to try them.

I have some Hornady 105gr HPBT to try, I hope they are acceptable because they would be my inexpensive practice and general use bullet when out playing around.

I'm thinking about getting a 6BR spun up. Do you recommend a 26" or 28" barrel? It will be used primarily in comps.

This is an older post, but did you end up getting a 28”? Curious as I’m in the same position, leaning toward 28 to get some extra FPS

I was able to catch a break in the weather, and the temperature, so I did a ladder test at 320Y on an almost windless 45 degree morning. I probably should have done it at 400Y but it was a tad drizzly, also I was doing the ladder test for my 223AI at the same time and I don't plan on shooting it past 800Y, so 320Y seemed more appropriate.

The test was with Hornady 105gr HPBT, I wanted to see how these shot because they are only $20-ish per 100 which would help me shoot/practice more and save money over the 105 hybrids.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the Nosler RDF's didn't shoot well in my 6mmBR rifle at all which was my first attempt to shoot cheap bullets.

Yes I just grabbed this old cardboard box with that big 200Y service rifle bull on it. I'm not very official when it comes to targets and ladder tests, plus I was in a hurry when I got up from the computer and noticed it was calm outside.

The results were somewhat conclusive??? I started at 28.5 grains of H4895 and ended with the 12th shot at 29.6 grains, these were in .1 grain increments. No pressure signs at 29.6, the primers weren't even flat yet and it was easy to open the bolt.

There was the slightest wind on the last 3 or so shots so I'm only looking at the vertical which is around .6" , shots - 9/29.3gr, 10/29.4, 11/29.5, 12/29.6. I'll go for loading 29.4 and 29.5 grains to see how they do at distance. I don't know what the distance to the lands the Hornady 105 is because I just left my seating die alone which is set for the Berger 105 hybrid. Looks like everything is shooting decent enough as is.
I used CCI450 mag primers and Lapua brass.

Next outing I'll bring the Oehler 35P chrono to see how the fps, SD, and ES are doing.

DSC00207.JPG

I was able to catch a break in the weather, and the temperature, so I did a ladder test at 320Y on an almost windless 45 degree morning. I probably should have done it at 400Y but it was a tad drizzly, also I was doing the ladder test for my 223AI at the same time and I don't plan on shooting it past 800Y, so 320Y seemed more appropriate.

The test was with Hornady 105gr HPBT, I wanted to see how these shot because they are only $20-ish per 100 which would help me shoot/practice more and save money over the 105 hybrids.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned the Nosler RDF's didn't shoot well in my 6mmBR rifle at all which was my first attempt to shoot cheap bullets.

Yes I just grabbed this old cardboard box with that big 200Y service rifle bull on it. I'm not very official when it comes to targets and ladder tests, plus I was in a hurry when I got up from the computer and noticed it was calm outside.

The results were somewhat conclusive??? I started at 28.5 grains of H4895 and ended with the 12th shot at 29.6 grains, these were in .1 grain increments. No pressure signs at 29.6, the primers weren't even flat yet and it was easy to open the bolt.

There was the slightest wind on the last 3 or so shots so I'm only looking at the vertical which is around .6" , shots - 9/29.3gr, 10/29.4, 11/29.5, 12/29.6. I'll go for loading 29.4 and 29.5 grains to see how they do at distance. I don't know what the distance to the lands the Hornady 105 is because I just left my seating die alone which is set for the Berger 105 hybrid. Looks like everything is shooting decent enough as is.

Next outing I'll bring the Oehler 35P chrono to see how the fps, SD, and ES are doing.

View attachment 7272117

29.3 with 105 HPBT shoot .25moa @ 636yd for me

Last edited:
I know this is the loading section, but, if I already have a 6x47 to run fast, any reason to go dasher over 6br?

Gonna do one or the other and only planning on running 2775-2850fps somewhere.

I'm shooting both right now, the 6x47 and 6br
I know you have been doing this awhile.
If your shooting the 6x47 and using the 105 class bullets and it's shooting really small
no need to have a Dasher also. The 6x47 does everything a Dasher can do and faster.
The 6br fills a need for me in that I use it at 600yds and in with 95g pills. and lighter (@3040fps with the 95's)
I can run them faster and has less drop and about the same drift as a Dasher running the 105
and is as or more accurate at 300-600yds
I'm sure someone else will complain about this somehow.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
I know this is the loading section, but, if I already have a 6x47 to run fast, any reason to go dasher over 6br?

NO! and the speeds your looking for are easy money in a BR...if you really want to make it easy just load 30g of varget a 105 hybrid or 108g BTT CCI450-BR4-(ive had best luck in all the smaller cases with a fed205m)start touching the lands and work back .005 at a time if it wont print tiny groups some where between touching and .025 off the lands something is wrong.

the BR is one of...if not the least finicky cartridges ive loaded for.

Anybody running N140? I’m down to the last little bit of my H4895 and I can get N140 locally. I saw DT's message #19 from this thread but I'm looking for others who may have used it more recently.

Last edited:

View attachment 7272117

Too follow up...
So far I'm getting 2848 fps with the 29.5gr load. It's an acceptable load out to 785Y but not as tight as the 105 hybrid gets, 5" or so vertical, instead of stacking them like the Berger does.
Next is trying a seating depth test to hopefully tighten up the vertical.

Reactions: kthomas

6BR would be perfect for those speeds. Get a ~24" barrel, load up 29.5 grains H4895 with 105 Berger's and you should easily be in that range.

My wife's 24" 6BRA with fire-forming loads (which is 6BR), with 29.5 grains H4895 and 105's shoots at ~2830 fps.

Reactions: Dthomas3523