6mm BR

Baddog 0302

Private
Belligerents
Sep 22, 2013
Panhandle of FLA
29.5gr H4895 with 105 gr hybrid, no load with 8208 for 6 br just yet. The carbon ring issue I referred to was in 5.56 service rifle loads when I switched to 8208 from Varget. I’m working through the last couple pounds of my H4895 and I’ll post when I test 8208 in 6 br.
THANK YOU

47guy

Private
Belligerents
Jul 15, 2017
reno,nevada
With a slow pore and a short drop tube I can get 34.5gr of H4350 in my br. I also have a .114 freebore. At 34.1 gr I was getting 2910fps with a 27.5" barrel and a sierra 110. Shot around 1/3moa.
those are great numbers in a BR.

47guy

Private
Belligerents
Jul 15, 2017
reno,nevada
I was running Peterson brass in my BR which holds a grain+ less H2O so 32.5 was about mid neck...I could get 33 with a slow pour and 6” drop tube but could not seat a bullet deep enough with 4350...I tried RL-16 too but same issue.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I was running Peterson brass in my BR which holds a grain+ less H2O so 32.5 was about mid neck...I could get 33 with a slow pour and 6” drop tube but could not seat a bullet deep enough with 4350...I tried RL-16 too but same issue.
Thick brass and slower velocities is why I don't like Peterson brass. Alpha has a little bit of the downs like that too. People still can't do it better than Lapua

Reactions: BLKWLFK9

47guy

Private
Belligerents
Jul 15, 2017
reno,nevada
Thick brass and slower velocities is why I don't like Peterson brass. Alpha has a little bit of the downs like that too. People still can't do it better than Lapua
I agree lapua is good brass but Peterson brass will take way more abuse than lapua...8 loads was about the best I ever got in my BRX with lapua before the pockets would barely hold a primer...I just retired the first 110 Peterson in my BRA after 16 loads...pockets were still tight but starting to separate.

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I agree lapua is good brass but Peterson brass will take way more abuse than lapua...8 loads was about the best I ever got in my BRX with lapua before the pockets would barely hold a primer...I just retired the first 110 Peterson in my BRA after 16 loads...pockets were still tight but starting to separate.
You need to abuse it. Only way you're going to get the same speeds....

Reactions: lash and 47guy

Nimothy

I’m trying
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2018
Dallas Texas
I’ve had way more luck using 205m across all my srp brass but my wife’s 6br seemed to notice the biggest improvement in consistency over the 450’s

Nimothy

I’m trying
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2018
Dallas Texas
What kind of round count are you all seeing on your barrels.
I’m at 14-1500 in mine and it looks great, about what my 6creed looked like at around 800. I’m pretty confident Ill get over 2k out of this guy. I also mechanically clean my barrels, they get the jb/kroil and brownells pellets about every 300ish rounds. Some fellas say that wears em out faster. In theory I believe it, but it really works. Smelling that solvent isn’t worth 100 hypothetical rounds on a barrel that you get close to or over 2k.

Reactions: Doc68

Doc68

Almost a doctor
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2014
CO, Fort Carson
Just ordered a PVA 8 twist button barrel myself due to medical reason and recoil. What mags are everyone using and where to purchase them from.

Bought some Peterson brass along with 105 hybrids, 108 eldm and hornandy 105gr hpbt to see what shoots best.

What dies do you all recommend.

Has anyone had success with 6.5 staball

1jonathan1994

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
Laurel, MS
Just ordered a PVA 8 twist button barrel myself due to medical reason and recoil. What mags are everyone using and where to purchase them from.

Bought some Peterson brass along with 105 hybrids, 108 eldm and hornandy 105gr hpbt to see what shoots best.

Accurate mag with the primal rights kit has the best chance of working.
Whidden and Forster dies. Always get a micrometer seating die.
105 hybrid is all you need with a 6br.
30 gr varget WITH LAPUA BRASS and 0.020" jump. Expect 0.004" of wear per 100 rounds after the first 50 or 100 or so. But varget will cause carbon ring so plan an agressive cleaning every 300 rounds.
Might be a promising node between 0.50 and 0.060 jump if you have a long freebore.
Varget is the easy button except for wear and carbon ring

Nimothy

I’m trying
Belligerents
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2018
Dallas Texas
I use mdt 12rd mags in my bra and my wife’s br they have been great. I also run a 105h in Lapua brass that I turned after forming. I started with a whidden bushing set, then sold it for a whidden non bushing sizer and a Redding comp seater. I personally dont care for whidden’s seater.

Badfinger

Major Hide Member
Belligerents
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2013
Dayton, OH Area

What length and contour did you go with? I'm looking at a 22" VCC witch is a modified MTU contour but concerned it might be overkill or too heavy.

Krob95

TFG
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2019
NoCo

Running the MDT 12 RD BR mag, have had zero issues feeding with my Impact action. I bought mine from MHSA since they’re local to me. Running lapua brass, br4 primers, 30gr varget under a 105 hybrid and ~.010” off. I run the Redding type s bushing FL sizing die with a .264 (iirc) bushing and micrometer seater.

Doc68

Almost a doctor
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2014
CO, Fort Carson
What length and contour did you go with? I'm looking at a 22" VCC witch is a modified MTU contour but concerned it might be overkill or too heavy.
I ordered the 26" heavy palma contour.
.925" at muzzle

I'm not doing PRS shooting. Mostly from bench or prone position. Weight isn't an issue and only helps with less felt recoil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Badfinger

Doc68

Almost a doctor
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2014
CO, Fort Carson
So I just got an email this morning that my barrel has shipped from PVA. Should be here by saturday. Can't wait for it.

I only ordered the barrel two weeks ago now.....that's quick as hell.

Ordered 14 JUN......

Reactions: grizzaws

ZY100

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 13, 2007
VA
Looking forward to your Feedback Doc.

I have two 6BRA barrel-nut prefits from PVA that are lasers. They also turned a 6 BRA RUKUS shouldered prefit from a barrel I sent them in 6 days.

Really happy with PVA!

ZY

Reactions: grizzaws and Doc68

Doc68

Almost a doctor
Belligerents
Feb 17, 2014
CO, Fort Carson
Looking forward to your Feedback Doc.

I have two 6BRA barrel-nut prefits from PVA that are lasers. They also turned a 6 BRA RUKUS shouldered prefit from a barrel I sent them in 6 days.

Really happy with PVA!

ZY
Sadly it won't be for a little bit due to my recovery from spinal surgery. But once I'm cleared, I will hopefully be posting .10 in groups....🤣🤣🤣🤣

Krob95

TFG
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2019
NoCo
How much difference (if any) did you guys notice in your ES/SD switching between BR4 primers and Federal 205M primers. It seems CCI is super on primers currently as everywhere is out of stock and I messed up and didn’t buy more as I got low. Now I have 1k 205m’s and I’m hoping there’s little to no change in my load dev. Thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated

27” Krieger barrel by keystone accuracy
Lapua brass
105 hybrids 0.010” off
30gr varget
BR4 primers (soon to be 205M)

2900fps
ES 11 / SD 4

47guy

Private
Belligerents
Jul 15, 2017
reno,nevada
How much difference (if any) did you guys notice in your ES/SD switching between BR4 primers and Federal 205M primers. It seems CCI is super on primers currently as everywhere is out of stock and I messed up and didn’t buy more as I got low. Now I have 1k 205m’s and I’m hoping there’s little to no change in my load dev. Thoughts or experiences are greatly appreciated

Lapua brass
105 hybrids 0.010” off
30gr varget

2900fps
ES 11 / SD 4
fed205m are all I use anymore and produce much better numbers than 450s or BR4s...the only thing you might have to do is adjust seating.

Reactions: Krob95

Krob95

TFG
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2019
NoCo
fed205m are all I use anymore and produce much better numbers than 450s or BR4s...the only thing you might have to do is adjust seating.
Good to know. Do you just try like 0.005” increments to start?

47guy

Private
Belligerents
Jul 15, 2017
reno,nevada
Good to know. Do you just try like 0.005” increments to start?
5-10-20-30...I have a lee hand press so I do seating right where I shoot...i don’t jam so I always start .005 off so there’s just one way to go.

hybrids are jump tolerant I’ve ran them all the way to .085 off and they shoot.

beauty of the 6BR is 30g of varget and seating is all that needs to be done for it to shoot.

Reactions: Krob95

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas

Lapua brass
105 hybrids 0.010” off
30gr varget

2900fps
ES 11 / SD 4
Your ES is going to be a product of ignition/combustion. So the things that affect that are

brass prep
Powder charge
Primers

So, anytime you mess with any of those, for better or worse, your ES/SD will change.

Reactions: blbennett1288

Joel Danielson

Green Manalishi
Belligerents
Apr 12, 2012
wondering
Your ES is going to be a product of ignition/combustion. So the things that affect that are

brass prep
Powder charge
Primers

So, anytime you mess with any of those, for better or worse, your ES/SD will change.
I'm guessing when you say "brass prep" you are talking about neck tension. I don't shoot PRS, but shoot F-class and LR bench. biggest factor for me in es/sd next to consistent powder charge is neck tension. For all BR cases (.22, 6mm, 30mm) I have found a BR4's to work best ( I have a shit load of 205M that haven't been used in years). The only variation of 6BR that I have had a carbon ring problem was in a BRX. Shoot a BRA for the last 5 years with 105VLD's jammed .005 over 31.4 grains of Varget. My neck is .269 with 125 FB. Velocity is north of 3K in a 30" tube.

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
I'm guessing when you say "brass prep" you are talking about neck tension. I don't shoot PRS, but shoot F-class and LR bench. biggest factor for me in es/sd next to consistent powder charge is neck tension. For all BR cases (.22, 6mm, 30mm) I have found a BR4's to work best ( I have a shit load of 205M that haven't been used in years). The only variation of 6BR that I have had a carbon ring problem was in a BRX. Shoot a BRA for the last 5 years with 105VLD's jammed .005 over 31.4 grains of Varget. My neck is .269 with 125 FB. Velocity is north of 3K in a 30" tube.
Yes, and also how you set your tension.

Setting it with a mandrel is better than just a bushing.

Turning necks will also decrease your es/sd, but not as much as going from just a bushing to a mandrel will.

Joel Danielson

Green Manalishi
Belligerents
Apr 12, 2012
wondering
Yes, and also how you set your tension.

Setting it with a mandrel is better than just a bushing.

Turning necks will also decrease your es/sd, but not as much as going from just a bushing to a mandrel will.
I have gotten away from bushing dies on all my competition rifles over the last three years. I have Whidden make non-bushing with 3 different expander ball sizes shipped with the die (example: .282, 283, 284). Sending them 2X fired brass has worked well for me. All necks have to be turned on my brass due to chamber dimensions.

Last edited:

ifgator

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2018
I am so glad I have read through this thread. I'm new to 6br and have a 28" hawkhill barrel with an impact action. It started off just stacking groups with Varget, lapua, 105 Hybrids, and CCI450 primers. Then I was going to work up by .1 grains and find the best numbers but then I lost my way.
My buddy wanted me to try shooting f class and so I literally guessed and loaded 30 grains, sighted at 100 and went. I shot 60 rounds plus. Then I went out again without cleaning and did a ladder and my numbers were everywhere and I suspected eradic pressures and most likely a carbon ring. Sure enough a big carbon ring.
Then I turned necks and fl sized and set out for what I thought would be my last ladder. Huge disappointment. This one is on me as I was getting difficult bolt closure and probably pressure and bad numbers and bad groups. I was pretty ticked as im the only person on the planet not grouping a 6br well. It's on me for not checking my bump in my rifle and assuming I had bumped enough. However the reason I'm embarrassing myself with this story is because I came home and I checked for a carbon ring and sure as shit 25 rounds gave me another carbon ring.
Again, I take responsibility for my mistakes in this process BUT I've had this carbon ring problem looming over me all weekend and then I read this thread. How can guys shoot 200 round matches without crazy eradic pressure problems because of fat carbon rings by using Varget and i can't shoot 25 rounds???? My hell I don't plan on cleaning my throat every 20 rounds. Very frustrated but now even though its not very common I find out it does happen to some people.
It looks like H4895 has been the next most popular. I've also seen RL15 mentioned and VV 140. I'd like to find a stable accurate powder so I'll report back. Any advice is welcomed.

Krob95

TFG
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2019
NoCo
I am so glad I have read through this thread. I'm new to 6br and have a 28" hawkhill barrel with an impact action. It started off just stacking groups with Varget, lapua, 105 Hybrids, and CCI450 primers. Then I was going to work up by .1 grains and find the best numbers but then I lost my way.
My buddy wanted me to try shooting f class and so I literally guessed and loaded 30 grains, sighted at 100 and went. I shot 60 rounds plus. Then I went out again without cleaning and did a ladder and my numbers were everywhere and I suspected eradic pressures and most likely a carbon ring. Sure enough a big carbon ring.
Then I turned necks and fl sized and set out for what I thought would be my last ladder. Huge disappointment. This one is on me as I was getting difficult bolt closure and probably pressure and bad numbers and bad groups. I was pretty ticked as im the only person on the planet not grouping a 6br well. It's on me for not checking my bump in my rifle and assuming I had bumped enough. However the reason I'm embarrassing myself with this story is because I came home and I checked for a carbon ring and sure as shit 25 rounds gave me another carbon ring.
Again, I take responsibility for my mistakes in this process BUT I've had this carbon ring problem looming over me all weekend and then I read this thread. How can guys shoot 200 round matches without crazy eradic pressure problems because of fat carbon rings by using Varget and i can't shoot 25 rounds???? My hell I don't plan on cleaning my throat every 20 rounds. Very frustrated but now even though its not very common I find out it does happen to some people.
It looks like H4895 has been the next most popular. I've also seen RL15 mentioned and VV 140. I'd like to find a stable accurate powder so I'll report back. Any advice is welcomed.
Did you clean the carbon ring the first time?? Either way, how did you clean it and with what chemical/chemicals? I had the same issue with a carbon ring and thanks to @Dthomas3523’s suggestion for cleaning, I got it taken care of. I’ll clean my barrel every 250 rounds or so and I’m shooting 30gr varget under a 105 as well.

Reactions: Dthomas3523

reubenski

First Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I've never once had a carbon ring. 🤞

I imagine if I ever do the .224 and 6mm uni throaters ive bought will come in handy for removing them.

You know all the stories I've heard about carbon rings, they're like therapy. Nobody ever gets cured, they just keep coming back.

Reactions: lash and 47guy

ifgator

Sergeant of the Hide
Hessian
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2018
I will use bore tech Carbon and bigger brush to get in the throat and spin it. A bench rest guy told me to try a brass brush with lead core or something like that. It’s an ar 223 style that obliterates the carbon ring. I noticed carbon rings during break in as well. It really has sucked. I do have stubborn carbon in the first stretch of the barrel but I haven’t been quite as worried about that. I do plan on performing that cleaning dthomas recommended and may give n540 a try or whatever I can find.

Krob95

TFG
Hessian
Belligerents
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2019
NoCo
I’m a poor so I’ve never looked at running a tips in general 😂 I would probably start just under whatever people are running for varget under 110smk’s if no one is running a tips.

alcap

Online Training Member
Online Training Access
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Is there a significant difference between IMR 4895 and H4895?