milanuk

F'ing nuke
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2002
Wenatchee WA
small base 308 die.
Close, but not quite the same.

The ring die I have has zero chamfer at the base, and sizes *all* the way down the case web as far as it can get to the shell holder, whereas a SB die squeezes a *little* smaller, and has less radius/chamfer at the base than a regular F/L die... but it physically cannot size as far down the case web as a true ring die, both because of the chamfer/radius, and because you have to be conscious of not pushing the shoulder back too far.

I need (well, 'want' would probably be more accurate) a ring die or two in other case head sizes to go with the one I have. That one was custom made, but the guy has gone radio-silent since then. PVA was supposed to be making something similar that they called a 'small base' die that used bushings... but they don't even have it on their web site anymore.

Like I said, let me know when you find someone who makes a ring die. I'm interested.

BrienM

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2020
Most people that have used them likes the Harrels precision die. Fire 3 cases 3 times and send them to him. He has a couple different sizes of dies and finishes them to match your chamber.

47guy

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2017
reno,nevada
Close, but not quite the same.

The ring die I have has zero chamfer at the base, and sizes *all* the way down the case web as far as it can get to the shell holder, whereas a SB die squeezes a *little* smaller, and has less radius/chamfer at the base than a regular F/L die... but it physically cannot size as far down the case web as a true ring die, both because of the chamfer/radius, and because you have to be conscious of not pushing the shoulder back too far.

I need (well, 'want' would probably be more accurate) a ring die or two in other case head sizes to go with the one I have. That one was custom made, but the guy has gone radio-silent since then. PVA was supposed to be making something similar that they called a 'small base' die that used bushings... but they don't even have it on their web site anymore.

Like I said, let me know when you find someone who makes a ring die. I'm interested.
whats strange is that your having issues with a BR I shot a few barrel and never had any sizing issues.

Reactions: Tokay444

milanuk

F'ing nuke
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2002
Wenatchee WA
Never said I needed them for a BR 😉

Weird... I went to that page yesterday and earlier today; got a 404 error both times. Emailed them about the dies, said they were on indefinite backorder.

Reactions: 47guy

bgavin

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2018
AL
It will depend on your reamer and if you want to turn necks.
Not sore on reamer and no mention of neck turning.

Called bugholes and told them I wanted a
6br and I wanted to use lapua brass and 105 hybrids.
Will give them a call and see what they say.
Thanks

Reactions: milanuk

47guy

Private
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2017
reno,nevada
Not sore on reamer and no mention of neck turning.

Called bugholes and told them I wanted a
6br and I wanted to use lapua brass and 105 hybrids.
Will give them a call and see what they say.
Thanks
if your ordering a prefit its not(i should say i doubt)going to be a tight chamber.

BigdaddyWSM

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2018
South Dakota
My 6br load is slow compared to everyone else but went with accuracy & components I have on hand.
H4895 - 28.4 grains=2813 ES of 9
Fed205M primers
Lapua brass
105 hybrid loaded .040 off lands ( wanted boat tail near shoulder/ neck junction)
Also wanted to mention, you guys having carbon issues, did you see where Eric Cortina said he uses CLR to clean carbon from his barrels? CLR is a household cleaner I also use to clean my screens & sprayer nozzles on my herbicide applicator when storing for winter. Calcium, lime, rust. Is what it stands for.

Reactions: alcap

bgavin

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2018
AL
I use CLR to clean the bore in my other rifles. Not every cleaning but will with this barrel b/c I’ll be using Varget.

Reactions: BigdaddyWSM

BigdaddyWSM

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2018
South Dakota
My regular load for 6mmBR is with H4895. I have Varget & H4895 on hand but I am weighing my options for future powder scarcity. My question is does anyone have a load using Norma 203B ( I know not temp stable) or Vihtavuori N540 with either 105 hybrid or 108 ELDM? just looking to expand my powder options.

Doc68

Almost a doctor
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
CO, Fort Carson
My regular load for 6mmBR is with H4895. I have Varget & H4895 on hand but I am weighing my options for future powder scarcity. My question is does anyone have a load using Norma 203B ( I know not temp stable) or Vihtavuori N540 with either 105 hybrid or 108 ELDM? just looking to expand my powder options.
I'm using 540 right now.

26" 1/8 twist tube from PVA
29.5gr 540
105 hybrid
450 primers
2 times fired Peterson brass
10 thousandths off lands

1/4-1/3 MOA at 100yds.

Doc

Reactions: BigdaddyWSM