• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BR

My best 6.5cm group from my last PVA barrel was .150” 5 shot.
It also shot a .115” 4 shot group at 300 and shanked the fifth an inch away.

Reactions: Vortex1 and Doc68
Got my new barrel to the range and am happy to say the least.

I got tired of chasing my tail reloading for a Valkyrie and got bugholes to spin up a 27.5 Bartlien MTU.

I found the 6 br by reading here about how easy it was to load for. Well whatever the hell Lapua uses in there factory 105 ammo I hope I can duplicate.

it took me 2 shots to get on paper. Made a correction to center and shot two 5 shot groups a .192 and a .171. Also shot two groups just under 3 inches at 700 yards. Thay both had a flyer or they would have been sub 2 inch.

I have some lapua brass,Varget and 105 hybrids to try next weekend.

I got tired of chasing my tail reloading for a Valkyrie and got bugholes to spin up a 27.5 Bartlien MTU.

I found the 6 br by reading here about how easy it was to load for. Well whatever the hell Lapua uses in there factory 105 ammo I hope I can duplicate.

it took me 2 shots to get on paper. Made a correction to center and shot two 5 shot groups a .192 and a .171. Also shot two groups just under 3 inches at 700 yards. Thay both had a flyer or they would have been sub 2 inch.

That’s actually what a lot a guys do. Did anyway. That or the Norma Diamond Line.
It’s a 105 Scenar with VV powder. I’m not sure which one. Is it still running around 2675fps?

Reactions: bgavin
That’s actually what a lot a guys do. Did anyway. That or the Norma Diamond Line.
It’s a 105 Scenar with VV powder. I’m not sure which one. Is it still running around 2675fps?
I forgot the LabRadar but that speed sounds close for my hold at 700 which was 5.5 mils.

Hope I can get the Varget and hybrids to shoot like that. If not I’ll try some VV and 105 scenars.

.002 neck tension 30g varget primer of your choice and run a seating test that’s how easy it is with a BR.

.002 neck tension 30g varget primer of your choice and run a seating test that’s how easy it is with a BR.

👍

Thanks I hope so.

I was amazed at the accuracy from the lapua ammo. Friend that was with me has that look in his eye after he shot mine. He’ll have a new barrel in 6br in a month. Lol

I forgot the LabRadar but that speed sounds close for my hold at 700 which was 5.5 mils.

Hope I can get the Varget and hybrids to shoot like that. If not I’ll try some VV and 105 scenars.
Vv540 and 105 hybrids are awesome.

So I'm trying to find my lands to load up a ocw test this weekend and I'm getting measurements all over the place.

I'm using a hornady gauge with the hornady 6 br remington brass piece. I'm getting over 100 thousandths difference at times. I"ve never had this problem before on my other rifles and even had a friend try it as well and same thing.

We did get 1.694 3 times out of 20 tries but the rest were all over the place. Does that sound right?

I did this before I fired a round through the barrel and also after shooting and cleaning this weekend and same thing.

Thanks

So I'm trying to find my lands to load up a ocw test this weekend and I'm getting measurements all over the place.

I'm using a hornady gauge with the hornady 6 br remington brass piece. I'm getting over 100 thousandths difference at times. I"ve never had this problem before on my other rifles and even had a friend try it as well and same thing.

We did get 1.694 3 times out of 20 tries but the rest were all over the place. Does that sound right?

I did this before I fired a round through the barrel and also after shooting and cleaning this weekend and same thing.

Thanks

Dont worry about it. Use that measurement, jump it .020 or .030, then work your way back in .003-.005 increments and you'll find where it likes it.

Thanks

YouTube “how to find your lands exactly” and find the wheeler video.

Super easy and repeatable.

Or just take the advice above. Either way.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Crossing over from the 6Creed to the 6BR. Barrel is being spun up, H4895 in bound, 105 hybrids, Lapua brasss... blah blah blah.

My issue (like everyone else) is primers. 450’s ain’t to be had. However, I have 6k worth of CCI400’s. Has anyone had issues running these with H4895?

Actions is a Vector.

I'm sure they will be fine till available or if you still want 450's. I just had one spun up for myself on a bushed firing pin hole and small firing pin remy 700. I did a primer test with CCI450, Fed 205M and Fed 205MAR and my velocities were all the same.
Edit: my wife's remy700 with bushed firing pin hole and small firing pin runs 205mar feds and I have never tried anything different.
my daughter's remy700 runs cci450's but has never had the firing pin bushed.
I don't see much if any difference in SD or ES but i do not have an elaborate chronograph.

Reactions: Lunchbox27
I have run federal match, 450's and remington SRP. A bit more SD in the Remingtons, but not affecting much at all.

Doc

Crossing over from the 6Creed to the 6BR. Barrel is being spun up, H4895 in bound, 105 hybrids, Lapua brasss... blah blah blah.

My issue (like everyone else) is primers. 450’s ain’t to be had. However, I have 6k worth of CCI400’s. Has anyone had issues running these with H4895?

Actions is a Vector.
I'm using same everything except I use fed 205's since they shot better in my rifle than 450's. Better sd/es I mean.

The beauty of the 6BR....it’s not real finicky when it comes to components...I’ve shot lapua and Peterson brass I prefer Peterson....108g Berger’s 105 and 109 hybrids 107SMKs...I preferred the 105 hybrids because I had a lot of
them....cci400s 450s rem 7.5s fed 205s but I run fed205m because they product the best numbers.

All of the above will produce tiny groups with minimal load development.

I was trying the new peterson brass. sent 3 charges at 300yds. 29.2/29.5/29.8 grains varget. My favorite was 205m/virgin peterson brass/29.8grs varget/ 105hyb jumped .020"/ 28" 8twist brux/ 419brake. Sun changed and I lost the first of the 5. Last 4 shots were all duplicate 2842fps.
All 3 groups were pretty good for me. I'm still playing poor with Harris bipods/ seriously thinking of upgrading soon. F1E807BC-502B-4F47-BB2E-E4B03DDE8081.jpeg

Reactions: alcap
The beauty of the 6BR....it’s not real finicky when it comes to components...I’ve shot lapua and Peterson brass I prefer Peterson....108g Berger’s 105 and 109 hybrids 107SMKs...I preferred the 105 hybrids because I had a lot of
them....cci400s 450s rem 7.5s fed 205s but I run fed205m because they product the best numbers.

I shoot peterson also. Love it.

I scored 4000 CCI BR-4. I’ve got 350 pieces of Lapua BR brass, 3lbs of Varget to “test” and a pound of VV-N150 to try as well. I just need the damn barrel!

My concern was with CCI 400’s specifically. Will the pressures cause issues with a non-bushed firing pin. I’ve always read the magnums are better for their thicker cup. But, I don’t have any other options at this point.

That’s why my daughters runs 450’s. At 29.5 grs RL15 and a 105, it’s running 2820 and no popped primers. Over 30grs and high temp, hers will pop primers.
It is a valid concern but if you run it like a br and not a dasher it’ll be fine.

My concern was with CCI 400’s specifically. Will the pressures cause issues with a non-bushed firing pin. I’ve always read the magnums are better for their thicker cup. But, I don’t have any other options at this point.

you will be just fine with the 400s.

That’s why my daughters runs 450’s. At 29.5 grs RL15 and a 105, it’s running 2820 and no popped primers. Over 30grs and high temp, hers will pop primers.
It is a valid concern but if you run it like a br and not a dasher it’ll be fine.

RL-15 is very temp sensitive if you drop a half grain when it’s hot you’ll be fine

Unless your running a large pin.

Let me know when you find a place that makes 'em... (y)
You can use a Small Base .308 Winchester die in conjunction with your 6 BR die of choice . There is also a gentleman making Ring Dies for this, google may bring him up .

Reactions: Tokay444
I guess I missed something , sorry if you are offended . Sensitive ?:rolleyes:

Nah, just amused at someone telling me the information that I quite literally posted several pages ago... about two posts down from the one you quoted.

I just want to tell a quick story.

I've got 8 cycles on my Lapua 6mmBR brass. For 6 cycles I didn't have problems with 95% of my brass causing a sticky bolt with that hard tensioned click on the last part of the upstroke of the bolt in my ARC Mausingfield action. The 7th cycle was worse than that at around 50%. The last time I fired 50 rounds on the 8th cycle most of the brass did the sticky bolt thing like I just described, bummer right?!
So I started thinking about a solution. I was suspicious it was the case web expanding too much after reading here in this forum a bit.

So did a few experiments. It occured to me that possibly my Warner 6x47L die was small enough to size down the web of the case. After sizing and measuring I found that it was but only .001-.0015?? smaller than cases sized with my Harrels 6mmBR die.

Using the cases sized with the 6x47L die I loaded my regular load which is a warm one BTW, it's 29.4gr H4895 using Hornady 105gr HPBT at 2850 fps into 5 cases. Loaded 4 with Nosler 105gr CC using the same cases and same charge. Then 4 cases using brass "ONLY" sized using the Harrels die and the Hornady 105's but at 28.5gr of H4895.

The Harrels sized cases all had the click at the top of the bolt stroke.
NONE of the other 9 cases using my 29.4gr load sized with the 6x47L had the click!

SUCCESS!!!
It feels good in one way, only problem is now I have to size twice. Harrels to bump shoulder, I always like to bump. Then size with the 6x47 die.

Or I guess I could sell the Harrels and buy one smaller??

I just want to tell a quick story.

I've got 8 cycles on my Lapua 6mmBR brass. For 6 cycles I didn't have problems with 95% of my brass causing a sticky bolt with that hard tensioned click on the last part of the upstroke of the bolt in my ARC Mausingfield action. The 7th cycle was worse than that at around 50%. The last time I fired 50 rounds on the 8th cycle most of the brass did the sticky bolt thing like I just described, bummer right?!
So I started thinking about a solution. I was suspicious it was the case web expanding too much after reading here in this forum a bit.

So did a few experiments. It occured to me that possibly my Warner 6x47L die was small enough to size down the web of the case. After sizing and measuring I found that it was but only .001-.0015?? smaller than cases sized with my Harrels 6mmBR die.

Using the cases sized with the 6x47L die I loaded my regular load which is a warm one BTW, it's 29.4gr H4895 using Hornady 105gr HPBT at 2850 fps into 5 cases. Loaded 4 with Nosler 105gr CC using the same cases and same charge. Then 4 cases using brass "ONLY" sized using the Harrels die and the Hornady 105's but at 28.5gr of H4895.

The Harrels sized cases all had the click at the top of the bolt stroke.
NONE of the other 9 cases using my 29.4gr load sized with the 6x47L had the click!

SUCCESS!!!
It feels good in one way, only problem is now I have to size twice. Harrels to bump shoulder, I always like to bump. Then size with the 6x47 die.

Or I guess I could sell the Harrels and buy one smaller??

Or you could simply contact Harrell and they’ll help you out as they always do...

Need some help...I just got my 6br build finished and I'm starting load development. I ordered a Redding Competition Seater and Redding full length die from Midway USA.

The dies are labeled 6mm BR Remington.

My brass (like everyone else's) is 6mm BR Norma.

The sizing die is useless, I can't even get close to sizing the entire case.

The seating die works on some cases but not others. The case gets stuck and I have to slam the press to get it out.

Obviously these dies are going back to Midway, but what should I order that will work?

Need some help...I just got my 6br build finished and I'm starting load development. I ordered a Redding Competition Seater and Redding full length die from Midway USA.

The dies are labeled 6mm BR Remington.

My brass (like everyone else's) is 6mm BR Norma.

The sizing die is useless, I can't even get close to sizing the entire case.

The seating die works on some cases but not others. The case gets stuck and I have to slam the press to get it out.

Obviously these dies are going back to Midway, but what should I order that will work?
Any 6BR die should work. I use Whidden. Forester is also a good choice.

Last edited:
I had zero issues using the 6BR Remington type s Redding die with my 6BR lapua brass. I checked their website and they said it would work as that was my original concern. I use a Forster coax press fwiw.

I had zero issues using the 6BR Remington type s Redding die with my 6BR lapua brass. I checked their website and they said it would work as that was my original concern. I use a Forster coax press fwiw.
What's odd is that some brass works perfectly and others stick. The difference between them is 0.003-0.005

I also have the redding dies and redding competition seating die with micrometer. I never had any issues with mine.

Doc

sounds weird,
I have redding full length dies and work fine. I have wilson full length die and works fine. With information you have given, i feel like you have chamber issue, have "something else" other than a br or you aren't using good lube or enough of it on the body of case.

Reactions: Doc68
Did you buy "bushing die"? What size bushing is in it?

sounds weird,
I have redding full length dies and work fine. I have wilson full length die and works fine. With information you have given, i feel like you have chamber issue, have "something else" other than a br or you aren't using good lube or enough of it on the body of case.
The brass in question is once fired that I bought from another hide member. What I have fired through my rifle is still in spec.

0.471 at the base of the case is the spec. 0.473 seems to be tolerable, however ~80% of the cases I've measured so far are in the range of 0.476-0.477. These will get stuck in my seating die.

I'll try to lube it up more and see if the sizing die will work.

The brass in question is once fired that I bought from another hide member. What I have fired through my rifle is still in spec.

0.471 at the base of the case is the spec. 0.473 seems to be tolerable, however ~80% of the cases I've measured so far are in the range of 0.476-0.477. These will get stuck in my seating die.

Did you clean the piss out of it when you got it? B12 is what Redding told me when I had a sticky 9mm die. I usually use Hornady dry lube and cleaner and bore mop though

.476 seems pretty big. Maybe his chamber was a little bigger? That's "a chance you take" with used brass.. sometimes it works out.

This is why I use Full length Forster dies. Never had a piece of brass stuck in my seater die and they will custom hone the full length die.

I had this problem when I took 100pc of Lapua 6BR brass fired in 1 barrel, bumped the shoulders .002 like I normally do and tried shooting it in a new 6BR barrel I put on from another smith... This is a relatively common issue with 6BR brass fired in different chambers, especially where different reamers were used. I bought a Redding #74317 6BR Small Base Body Die and it works great for this very situation to fix your brass...

Reactions: excope and Alex126
.476 seems pretty big. Maybe his chamber was a little bigger? That's "a chance you take" with used brass.. sometimes it works out.
Yeah I'm thinking he may have had a bad chamber or resizing die (everything he sent me was sized already).

Thankfully I was able to size it back down after soaking it in lube and forcing it through the press. The last time this happened I wound up throwing away 200 pieces of brass.