• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BR

The dasher has a better change of feeding and ejecting over the br would be about the only thing I could see as an advantage.

Criterion 28" 8 twist
105 hybrid
Lapua 1x
30 grains Varget
CCI 450's
SD 3
2833 fps

What datum size are you guys using with the hornady headspace comparator? I’ve see. .200 and .350? Does it matter as long as it’s consistent?

Do you guys get much for a carbon ring running varget? Just bought one and there’s hard bolt lifts and flat primers at 29gr w/ 115dtacs but that was the previous owners load (same state) for competitions. 30gr begins a 105 hybrid was also giving me hard bolt lifts too

Do you guys get much for a carbon ring running varget? Just bought one and there’s hard bolt lifts and flat primers at 29gr w/ 115dtacs but that was the previous owners load (same state) for competitions. 30gr begins a 105 hybrid was also giving me hard bolt lifts too
This is the main reason I avoid Varget. I’ve fought carbon rings in everything I used to load with Varget. Service rifle ammo was the worst.

This is the main reason I avoid Varget. I’ve fought carbon rings in everything I used to load with Varget. Service rifle ammo was the worst.
what were you using to break up that carbon?

I vice the barrel vertically. Plug the muzzle with a foamy ear plug. Put a bucket under it and fill the barrel with clr. Could also probably use boretech carbon remover.

Let it sit for a couple hours. Drain it, patch dry, use a drill with cleaning rod and a nylon brush with chosen cleaner. Run that back and forth a few minutes with drill. Then some wet patches and dry patches.

Clean chamber to make sure no oil, and done.

Actual time manually cleaning is 5 or 10min. The soak is the carbon killing part.

Reactions: Krob95
I do this after every match (be it local or two day) or any range session/s that go above 100rnds.

Basically, I don’t let it go more than 300rnds. On any barrel anymore without basically restoring it back to like new clean condition.

Learned the hard way not to “wait until the rifle tells you it needs cleaning.”

I do this after every match (be it local or two day) or any range session/s that go above 100rnds.

Basically, I don’t let it go more than 300rnds. On any barrel anymore without basically restoring it back to like new clean condition.

Learned the hard way not to “wait until the rifle tells you it needs cleaning.”
Thanks for the advice man!! Greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dthomas3523
JB paste and Kroil on a cotton plug from Bore Rider Barrel Care (no longer in business). Took a fair amount of scrubbing to remove it each time. It felt like a choke just ahead of the throat and led to a few popped primers. All that headache went away when I switched to H4895/8208, and I saw increased velocity and better groups vs. Varget.

JB paste and Kroil on a cotton plug from Bore Rider Barrel Care (no longer in business). Took a fair amount of scrubbing to remove it each time. It felt like a choke just ahead of the throat and led to a few popped primers. All that headache went away when I switched to H4895/8208, and I saw increased velocity and better groups vs. Varget.
Well that sucks cuz I just ordered 16lbs of varget to start loading my my 6br lol

47guy has shot twice as much of the stuff as I did without issue and plenty of other 6br shooters love it. Good luck!
Well that sucks cuz I just ordered 16lbs of varget to start loading my my 6br lol

How much variation do you guys see bumping shoulders back when do sizing? I was getting between 1.5575 and 1.560 (1.560 is bumped .002 back). I tried sizing fast, slow, kinda fast and slow. For the most part they fall in the 1.558-1.559” range. But there’s some outliers. Running a Redding type s FL sizing Bushing die with a .264 bushing in a Forster Coax. Anything to really worry about or just let it ride?

So today I got to run my loads of 30gr of varget under 105 hybrids seated 10 thou off with a Labradar and just wow.

First string of 10 ran an avg 2903fps with an ES of 20 and SD of 6.4. Second string of 10 ran an avg 2897fps with an ES of 11 and SD of 4.1. No crazy reloading ritual or anything.

27” Krieger heavy varmint bbl spun up by Keystone Accuracy on an impact action.

Reactions: blbennett1288
Recently got a notion to build a .223 trainer rifle so I could do some cheaper practicing. After pricing my build I realized that was kind of a dumb decision financially and set out to find a cheap(er) load for my 6BR to practice with. Main goal was a cheaper more available powder than Varget and a cheap bullet. Still need to fine tune, but I thought I'd share my results so far.

26in Criterion 6BR Norma Barrel
Virgin Lapua brass
CFE223 Powder
CCI 450
Hornady 87 BTHP @ 1.760 CBTO (20k jump if I recall correctly)

89 degrees F outside, and not a whole lot of time to play with so the barrel was decently warm throughout

30.6 2925fps SD 29; ES 67
30.9 2929; SD 14; ES 36
31.2 2952; SD 15; ES 41
31.5 2965; SD 23; ES 63
31.8 2989; SD 7; ES 19

30.6 was a decent group and 31.8 was right at a half inch at 100. Zero pressure signs whatsoever. I might keep going a little bit as the accuracy at the top end increased substantially. As this is a ball powder, I don't wanna push it too hard as things get pretty hot here where I live. I definitely have been spoiled by the SDs of Varget (which has been the only powder I have used in 6BR prior to this), but for 100-200 yard positional practice I think the 31.8 charge will do just fine. I think this combo definitely has some potential for what I wanted out of it, and the 87BTHP has a decent reputation on game if I ever decide to take this rifle out hunting. Also recently picked up some Shooter's World Precision so I will hopefully test that soon and post some results.

Does anyone here have experience loading for the 87gr V Max’s over varget by chance? Or know a good starting point? Looking for a coyote/nasty pdog rounds to reach out and touch em and don’t want to burn up my 105 hybrids.

Does anyone here have experience loading for the 87gr V Max’s over varget by chance? Or know a good starting point? Looking for a coyote/nasty pdog rounds to reach out and touch em and don’t want to burn up my 105 hybrids.

30.5 gr Varget should be a good medium load but it's going to be almost up to the bottom of the neck so slightly compressed.

What are your loads with H 4895 / 8208 ? Got 8 # of 8208 for my 223's, need another use for it as well as H 4895

Thank you

Too follow up...
So far I'm getting 2848 fps with the 29.5gr load. It's an acceptable load out to 785Y but not as tight as the 105 hybrid gets, 5" or so vertical, instead of stacking them like the Berger does.
Next is trying a seating depth test to hopefully tighten up the vertical.

I forgot to get back to this thread after I did the seating depth test. Still haven't squeezed the Hornady 105 HPBT down to "all 5 touching" at 100Y like I did with the hybrids but the best depth did two reasonably small groups, one .4" and the other .35". I'm good with that for messing around especially for $21 a box!

Tried this load out to 800Y and was able to tag the 4" head on the 2/3 IPSC a decent amount at that distance.

What are your loads with H 4895 / 8208 ? Got 8 # of 8208 for my 223's, need another use for it as well as H 4895

Thank you
29.5gr H4895 with 105 gr hybrid, no load with 8208 for 6 br just yet. The carbon ring issue I referred to was in 5.56 service rifle loads when I switched to 8208 from Varget. I’m working through the last couple pounds of my H4895 and I’ll post when I test 8208 in 6 br.

Last edited:
29.5gr H4895 with 105 gr hybrid, no load with 8208 for 6 br just yet. The carbon ring issue I referred to was in 5.56 service rifle loads when I switched to 8208 from Varget. I’m working through the last couple pounds of my H4895 and I’ll post when I test 8208 in 6 br.
THANK YOU

With a slow pore and a short drop tube I can get 34.5gr of H4350 in my br. I also have a .114 freebore. At 34.1 gr I was getting 2910fps with a 27.5" barrel and a sierra 110. Shot around 1/3moa.

those are great numbers in a BR.

I was running Peterson brass in my BR which holds a grain+ less H2O so 32.5 was about mid neck...I could get 33 with a slow pour and 6” drop tube but could not seat a bullet deep enough with 4350...I tried RL-16 too but same issue.

Thick brass and slower velocities is why I don't like Peterson brass. Alpha has a little bit of the downs like that too. People still can't do it better than Lapua

I agree lapua is good brass but Peterson brass will take way more abuse than lapua...8 loads was about the best I ever got in my BRX with lapua before the pockets would barely hold a primer...I just retired the first 110 Peterson in my BRA after 16 loads...pockets were still tight but starting to separate.

I’ve had way more luck using 205m across all my srp brass but my wife’s 6br seemed to notice the biggest improvement in consistency over the 450’s

What kind of round count are you all seeing on your barrels.

What kind of round count are you all seeing on your barrels.
I’m at 14-1500 in mine and it looks great, about what my 6creed looked like at around 800. I’m pretty confident Ill get over 2k out of this guy. I also mechanically clean my barrels, they get the jb/kroil and brownells pellets about every 300ish rounds. Some fellas say that wears em out faster. In theory I believe it, but it really works. Smelling that solvent isn’t worth 100 hypothetical rounds on a barrel that you get close to or over 2k.

Reactions: Doc68
Just ordered a PVA 8 twist button barrel myself due to medical reason and recoil. What mags are everyone using and where to purchase them from.

Bought some Peterson brass along with 105 hybrids, 108 eldm and hornandy 105gr hpbt to see what shoots best.

What dies do you all recommend.

Has anyone had success with 6.5 staball

Just ordered a PVA 8 twist button barrel myself due to medical reason and recoil. What mags are everyone using and where to purchase them from.

Bought some Peterson brass along with 105 hybrids, 108 eldm and hornandy 105gr hpbt to see what shoots best.

Accurate mag with the primal rights kit has the best chance of working.
Whidden and Forster dies. Always get a micrometer seating die.
105 hybrid is all you need with a 6br.
30 gr varget WITH LAPUA BRASS and 0.020" jump. Expect 0.004" of wear per 100 rounds after the first 50 or 100 or so. But varget will cause carbon ring so plan an agressive cleaning every 300 rounds.
Might be a promising node between 0.50 and 0.060 jump if you have a long freebore.
Varget is the easy button except for wear and carbon ring

I use mdt 12rd mags in my bra and my wife’s br they have been great. I also run a 105h in Lapua brass that I turned after forming. I started with a whidden bushing set, then sold it for a whidden non bushing sizer and a Redding comp seater. I personally dont care for whidden’s seater.

What length and contour did you go with? I'm looking at a 22" VCC witch is a modified MTU contour but concerned it might be overkill or too heavy.