• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm BRA

One setup I'm running 125, the other is 104. 105 Hybrids with the 125 and 103 Vaportrails in the 104. I run the VT jammed .005 is the reason for the shorter FB.

I’ve ran freebores at .104 and .150 and .170...for what I do I think the .150 is perfect...I’ve found that .070 jump is a nice spot with the 105s and 109s and at .150 I’m about 3/4s into the neck.

@orkan is spot on.
Multiple 6BRX running 105s at 2920fps from 26" Bartleins and Proofs.
FWIW, my fireforming loads using 108ELD-Ms jammed, Lapua brass and 30.0gn 2208/Varget are 2800fps and produce tiny groups(smallest I've ever shot actually)
If you're getting 2980-3025fps in a 26" 6BRX, cool, just let me know so I can walk away before you pull the trigger
I used to shoot a BRX for mid-range matches, and really pushed them hard for the first 300 pieces of brass (close to 3040). Yeah...no.Third firing and there are loose primer pockets on at least half of them. The amount of time that is put into neck turning and prepping means I better get more than that out of them.
What amazes me is people getting high 2900's out of a 26" barrel. I tried, because I wanted to take a 6BRA to NZ where I normally spend my winters (f'n covid). Couldn't get the numbers I wanted, and ended up doing a 6 CM. If I could have got to 2950, it would have been the caliber. I ran into pressure at 30.6 grains of 4895 and was only at 2920 and not seeing the accuracy I wanted. I guess slow barrels are my story as well.
Cheers

now why didn’t I think of this lol!!

lotta guys running BRAs fast with no issues....I’m pretty sure some of those guys...Barts Bullets being one of them...are stress testing the BR alpha brass and pretty sure Bart was over 3k for a few loads with no issues.

That thread was my main reference for when I was developing my load for my 6BRA a couple of years ago.

agree the BRs hide pressure and im not disputing the fact that we are over pressure im just trying to figure out why/how @Joel Danielson running a 30" barrel is only 2970 with a similar load....powder lot? brass? freebore? maybe his barrel is to long?
His velocity is in line with mine with my 26” barrel. I run 30.8 of 4985 mine is a bart too

His velocity is in line with mine with my 26” barrel. I run 30.8 of 4985 mine is a bart too

ive seen you post a few times about your barrel being slow and there can be several reasons for that id be curious to know what it is.
if you read through the thread Delladog posted theres a lot of very well know shooters posting similar loads and velocities...one of the big things that can effect velocities is moisture content in the powder...something that was just brought up recently in a thread here somewhere.

just a quick search shows your yearly average humidity in DFW to be 66% here in nevada where i live the yearly average is 41%...im not sure why you and @Joel Danielson do not get higher velocities...again i have no reason to lie.

ive shot several different calibers and have ran them all fast....i have not hit the magic 40yrs of loading mark that seems to make ppl an expert but i have shot out 36-37 barrels in my short time....

now again im not disputing that im probably over pressure what i am saying is that my barrel and a lot of others run these speeds without issue but because someone else does not get the same velocity from their barrel im either way over pressure...my chrony is broken or its not possible.

Last edited:
now again im not disputing that im probably over pressure

So what is left to argue about? This isn't the same as running over "book max" or something like that. No, this is pure over-pressure. Just because the brass can survive more than 1 or more than 5 firings... doesn't mean that is the correct place to operate. I really would rather not alienate you, and would rather be friends. Though I don't know you. I don't know your level of experience. I do know mine though, and quite a few others could testify to the fact that I've been around the block. Been doing this full time for longer than many guys have been in the sport. Just talking about this has no doubt already caused you to start resenting me and ignoring what I say. How dare I suggest I might have more experience than you, right? I know I know. I've been down this road with people hundreds if not thousands of times. However, I really don't have a choice... because it's usually the inexperienced guys that advocate running over-pressure loads. Allow me to extend an olive branch; I'm likely more experienced than you are as it pertains to this topic. That doesn't make me superior to you, so there is no reason to be offended by it. There is likely something that you are more experienced than I. However, that probably isn't precision rifle related. It's very unlikely that you spend more time, money, or effort on this discipline than I. That doesn't upset me... but rather I embrace it. Who are you? Do you do this full time? Do you have a body of work I can go read or watch to get an idea of who I'm talking to? If I'm mistaken in my above assumptions I'd be very excited to be proven wrong... because I salivate at the potential of learning something.

26"bartlin 6 creed 105 hybrids 3220
26"bartlin BRX 108 beregrs 105 hybrids 2975
27"bartlin 6BRA 105 hybrids 2975 109 hybrids 2940

... and Bartlein is spelled < that way... not bartlin. I can be pedantic if I want. :)

The thing is, a person can not know what they do not know. Myself and others have been down this road so many times and have gone so far... it's a certainty we've been where you are right now. We read what you type and we know where it ends for people and its narrow nodes, pierced primers, and malfunctioning rifles when they are needed most. This is a fact. All it takes is that ONE piece of brass that isn't up to the unrealistic standard it's being expected to perform to. I've been there... I've been in a side by side driving someone back to the ranch to pick up a loaner rifle because they blew a primer and seized their extractor, or blew it off completely... or seized their trigger.

The age old saying of just because you can, doesn't mean you should. If we lean heavily into the prowess of modern metallurgy and manufacturing, we can say the "safety" aspect of it is not worth discussing. Frankly, most modern actions can take it... and if you only shoot alone... then you're the only one on the chopping block. So I'm good with it in that case. Do whatever you like if you're the only one in possible danger.

However, I truly don't understand the logic of "knowing" you're over pressure but doing it anyway for the sake of it? Myself, and a great many others before me, have proven that the lower slower nodes are more stable in these little cartridges. I honestly don't understand why you are pushing so hard for something you willfully admit is over pressure?

The real question I am always left with is; What does it take? What does it take for someone with less experience to understand that they may not know, and take the advice of someone more experienced? Even more... the question that really gets me is; Why do people with less experience get angry and argue with people with more experience? I can say I understand your view point @47guy, but you can't advocate over-pressure loads and simultaneously be thinking about the big picture from a position of experience. You simply can not do both things. How many people would I need to come here and type up a testimonial for me, before you let me help you by adopting this information? Is there any number of people that could tell you to listen to me before you'd change your mindset? If I contacted a couple of my friends in the industry and provided you with raw pressure data from test barrels... would you listen to me then? Because all of my prior experience on this forum has taught me the more evidence I provide of your lack of understanding... the harder you'll anchor into your position, and the more you'll vilify me.

That... ^ That right there is why we are witnessing the death of the expert in all areas of society. People that don't know, put too heavy a burden on those that do... and our desire to avoid conflict supersedes our desire to help others, and then we go silent. I've logged over 26,000 rounds of precision 22lr in 2020. That doesn't count the several thousand rounds of purposeful 17HMR, 17WSM, and all the centerfire as well. ... and yet here I am having to plead with anonymous people on the internet to accept what I'm saying for the sake of them being able to experience more success in this discipline. The kind of effort I'm expected to put in before people are willing to listen... is absolutely absurd, and if you don't think other experts in this field feel the same way, you're gravely mistaken.

In fairness, you may not know me at all. So I'll ask that before you get upset with me, you go have a read here: http://www.primalrights.com/library/articles ... and a watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/primalrights/videos
I can demonstrate that I've put in the time and the work. However, I understand that most people you are accustomed to dealing with on forums have NOT put in the time and have NOT done the work. So I can forgive the arguing, to a point. It's entirely possible that @Joel Danielson may have even more experience with these little cartridges than I. I don't know... but I do know he's trying to provide very good advice that is SPOT ON with what I've seen regarding the pressures at play in these little cartridges. Despite the fact that he and I obviously disagree on the direction to go for best success with his 4895 recommendation as opposed to my H4350 recommendation. Though I think if I asked him to "prove" his position I think we could have a very intelligent conversation about it. I could be wrong. Either way, this post will cause me to be vilified... if not by you @47guy, then by someone else. Apparently my lifes work, 10-14 hours a day spent on this discipline, is not enough to convince a full time plumber, A/C repair man, or auto mechanic that I know what I'm talking about. I used to be bitter about it, but now it just makes me laugh at the absurdity of it all. What is even the point?

Well it's this:

If even ONE person reads this post and benefits from it... then that's enough for me. Run the low nodes folks... you'll be much happier in the long run. I'll produce some content in the future to help prove this, not that it will matter for some of you. Run your 6BRA's at .243AI velocities for all I care. I'll never shoot next to you anyway. lol

I'm not picking on you @47guy, and if it seems that way I apologize. I've been wanting to make a post like this for a while... and your post just helped me out with it. I'm just a little tired of seeing advice given in this reloading section where every single cartridge is being pushed to be as fast as the cartridge above it in the hierarchy. It's bad advice, and its gonna get someone hurt, or at the very least, their rifle.

My point in going where I went in this thread came from watching a couple newer individuals to competitive shooting ruin triggers and seize up actions at matches this past summer. Both pushed the envelope in testing and got caught on a hot humid day with loads that were too over-pressure for the conditions. The extreme powders from H and others are only temp insensitive to a certain point.

The other part is listening to guys like Alex Wheeler and Bart Sauter at matches, you figure (try to figure out) what they are doing and apply to your shooting. Alex has said all along that the 2950-2970 node is the most accurate with most barrels. These guys are not shooting 26" barrels to get those speeds though. Most are shooting 28" barrels. I still say Bart keeps all the best bullets he makes and sells the seconds to his competitiors... :ROFLMAO:

As I said earlier, if you are over pressure at 31.3 grains of Varget, I'm over-pressure at 31.4. Chamber pressure is chamber pressure regardless of barrel length. Hopefully others who use this forum will see our conversations and see that there may be a variance in the velocities they can expect depending on how hard they decide to push their loads, and how fast some barrels may be compared to others.

BTW...I like Brux barrels with the .236 lands....you just have to find skinny bullets to shoot.;)
Cheers

These guys are not shooting 26" barrels to get those speeds though. Most are shooting 28" barrels.
That's the real meat right there. If you want faster speeds, stretch those barrels out.

Look at the palma guys running 308's with 155's at 3100+ and their 32-34" long barrels!

25fps per inch is an easy estimate. You want a 3000fps+ BRA at safe pressures? A 28-32" barrel is sure to provide it.

Reactions: nrspence
So what is left to argue about? This isn't the same as running over "book max" or something like that. No, this is pure over-pressure. Just because the brass can survive more than 1 or more than 5 firings... doesn't mean that is the correct place to operate. I really would rather not alienate you, and would rather be friends. Though I don't know you. I don't know your level of experience. I do know mine though, and quite a few others could testify to the fact that I've been around the block. Been doing this full time for longer than many guys have been in the sport. Just talking about this has no doubt already caused you to start resenting me and ignoring what I say. How dare I suggest I might have more experience than you, right? I know I know. I've been down this road with people hundreds if not thousands of times. However, I really don't have a choice... because it's usually the inexperienced guys that advocate running over-pressure loads. Allow me to extend an olive branch; I'm likely more experienced than you are as it pertains to this topic. That doesn't make me superior to you, so there is no reason to be offended by it. There is likely something that you are more experienced than I. However, that probably isn't precision rifle related. It's very unlikely that you spend more time, money, or effort on this discipline than I. That doesn't upset me... but rather I embrace it. Who are you? Do you do this full time? Do you have a body of work I can go read or watch to get an idea of who I'm talking to? If I'm mistaken in my above assumptions I'd be very excited to be proven wrong... because I salivate at the potential of learning something.

... and Bartlein is spelled < that way... not bartlin. I can be pedantic if I want. :)

The thing is, a person can not know what they do not know. Myself and others have been down this road so many times and have gone so far... it's a certainty we've been where you are right now. We read what you type and we know where it ends for people and its narrow nodes, pierced primers, and malfunctioning rifles when they are needed most. This is a fact. All it takes is that ONE piece of brass that isn't up to the unrealistic standard it's being expected to perform to. I've been there... I've been in a side by side driving someone back to the ranch to pick up a loaner rifle because they blew a primer and seized their extractor, or blew it off completely... or seized their trigger.

The age old saying of just because you can, doesn't mean you should. If we lean heavily into the prowess of modern metallurgy and manufacturing, we can say the "safety" aspect of it is not worth discussing. Frankly, most modern actions can take it... and if you only shoot alone... then you're the only one on the chopping block. So I'm good with it in that case. Do whatever you like if you're the only one in possible danger.

However, I truly don't understand the logic of "knowing" you're over pressure but doing it anyway for the sake of it? Myself, and a great many others before me, have proven that the lower slower nodes are more stable in these little cartridges. I honestly don't understand why you are pushing so hard for something you willfully admit is over pressure?

The real question I am always left with is; What does it take? What does it take for someone with less experience to understand that they may not know, and take the advice of someone more experienced? Even more... the question that really gets me is; Why do people with less experience get angry and argue with people with more experience? I can say I understand your view point @47guy, but you can't advocate over-pressure loads and simultaneously be thinking about the big picture from a position of experience. You simply can not do both things. How many people would I need to come here and type up a testimonial for me, before you let me help you by adopting this information? Is there any number of people that could tell you to listen to me before you'd change your mindset? If I contacted a couple of my friends in the industry and provided you with raw pressure data from test barrels... would you listen to me then? Because all of my prior experience on this forum has taught me the more evidence I provide of your lack of understanding... the harder you'll anchor into your position, and the more you'll vilify me.

That... ^ That right there is why we are witnessing the death of the expert in all areas of society. People that don't know, put too heavy a burden on those that do... and our desire to avoid conflict supersedes our desire to help others, and then we go silent. I've logged over 26,000 rounds of precision 22lr in 2020. That doesn't count the several thousand rounds of purposeful 17HMR, 17WSM, and all the centerfire as well. ... and yet here I am having to plead with anonymous people on the internet to accept what I'm saying for the sake of them being able to experience more success in this discipline. The kind of effort I'm expected to put in before people are willing to listen... is absolutely absurd, and if you don't think other experts in this field feel the same way, you're gravely mistaken.

In fairness, you may not know me at all. So I'll ask that before you get upset with me, you go have a read here: http://www.primalrights.com/library/articles ... and a watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/primalrights/videos
I can demonstrate that I've put in the time and the work. However, I understand that most people you are accustomed to dealing with on forums have NOT put in the time and have NOT done the work. So I can forgive the arguing, to a point. It's entirely possible that @Joel Danielson may have even more experience with these little cartridges than I. I don't know... but I do know he's trying to provide very good advice that is SPOT ON with what I've seen regarding the pressures at play in these little cartridges. Despite the fact that he and I obviously disagree on the direction to go for best success with his 4895 recommendation as opposed to my H4350 recommendation. Though I think if I asked him to "prove" his position I think we could have a very intelligent conversation about it. I could be wrong. Either way, this post will cause me to be vilified... if not by you @47guy, then by someone else. Apparently my lifes work, 10-14 hours a day spent on this discipline, is not enough to convince a full time plumber, A/C repair man, or auto mechanic that I know what I'm talking about. I used to be bitter about it, but now it just makes me laugh at the absurdity of it all. What is even the point?

Well it's this:

If even ONE person reads this post and benefits from it... then that's enough for me. Run the low nodes folks... you'll be much happier in the long run. I'll produce some content in the future to help prove this, not that it will matter for some of you. Run your 6BRA's at .243AI velocities for all I care. I'll never shoot next to you anyway. lol

I'm not picking on you @47guy, and if it seems that way I apologize. I've been wanting to make a post like this for a while... and your post just helped me out with it. I'm just a little tired of seeing advice given in this reloading section where every single cartridge is being pushed to be as fast as the cartridge above it in the hierarchy. It's bad advice, and its gonna get someone hurt, or at the very least, their rifle.

first let me say im honestly not trying to argue i know you have been around a long time and i do respect your opinion....i have no where near your experience and no i do not do this for a living and most of all i NEVER singled you out and DO NOT clam to be an expert i just know what i know from my personal experience...and ive got pretty thick skin so i dont get upset with the internet.

My point in going where I went in this thread came from watching a couple newer individuals to competitive shooting ruin triggers and seize up actions at matches this past summer. Both pushed the envelope in testing and got caught on a hot humid day with loads that were too over-pressure for the conditions. The extreme powders from H and others are only temp insensitive to a certain point.

The other part is listening to guys like Alex Wheeler and Bart Sauter at matches, you figure (try to figure out) what they are doing and apply to your shooting. Alex has said all along that the 2950-2970 node is the most accurate with most barrels. These guys are not shooting 26" barrels to get those speeds though. Most are shooting 28" barrels. I still say Bart keeps all the best bullets he makes and sells the seconds to his competitiors... :ROFLMAO:

As I said earlier, if you are over pressure at 31.3 grains of Varget, I'm over-pressure at 31.4. Chamber pressure is chamber pressure regardless of barrel length. Hopefully others who use this forum will see our conversations and see that there may be a variance in the velocities they can expect depending on how hard they decide to push their loads, and how fast some barrels may be compared to others.

BTW...I like Brux barrels with the .236 lands....you just have to find skinny bullets to shoot.;)
Cheers

now you and i are on the same page because im going off what the same ppl you are talking about are doing.
my smith swears by brux and the 2 i shot made tiny groups just not fast enough at the time....over the last year or 2 ive started slowing things down a bit for the reasons @orkan is talking about but shortly after i started it was all about how fast i could push things.

first let me say im honestly not trying to argue i know you have been around a long time and i do respect your opinion....i have no where near your experience and no i do not do this for a living and most of all i NEVER singled you out and DO NOT clam to be an expert i just know what i know from my personal experience...and ive got pretty thick skin so i dont get upset with the internet.

I can appreciate that. ... and I appreciate the fact that you didn't single me out. However, I'd ask that you consider the forest, as well as the trees. My response wasn't as much directed at you as it was the entire community.

Have you stopped to consider the audience you're providing those suggestions to and what they'll do with the information? Do you feel any responsibility if someone follows your posts based on your experiences and then damages their rifle or damages themselves? Have you ever seen someone shooting without glasses pierce a primer and lose their eye due to the jet of gas and debris that came through the firing pin hole, back through the bolt, and out between the cocking piece and bolt shroud? (because I have) Would you be upset with yourself if a person pierced a primer and torched a big chunk out of their bolt face and sheared off their extractor, effectively ruining their bolt?

... because that's what the load suggestions you're providing can, have, and will lead to. Point in fact, I've seen it happen to a guy running nearly the exact place you are. If your personal experience hasn't had it happen to you, then it's not a question of if, but when. It's just a matter of round count and conditions. The probability is there. Suppose a young man, 16yrs old, reads your post and says "well if this guy is doing it, I probably can too..." and goes out and loses his eye or damages his rifle? That's the reality of what bad information can do in the real world. Can you live with it, if it's your fault?

That kind of thing would haunt me.

Reactions: SWgeezer and 47guy
That's the real meat right there. If you want faster speeds, stretch those barrels out.

Look at the palma guys running 308's with 155's at 3100+ and their 32-34" long barrels!

25fps per inch is an easy estimate. You want a 3000fps+ BRA at safe pressures? A 28-32" barrel is sure to provide it.

this was one of my points here...joel is running a 30" barrel with 31.4g i was running 31.3g with a 26" barrel and we was at the same speeds and this is what started this debate.

Last edited:
I can appreciate that. ... and I appreciate the fact that you didn't single me out. However, I'd ask that you consider the forest, as well as the trees. My response wasn't as much directed at you as it was the entire community.

Have you stopped to consider the audience you're providing those suggestions to and what they'll do with the information? Do you feel any responsibility if someone follows your posts based on your experiences and then damages their rifle or damages themselves? Have you ever seen someone shooting without glasses pierce a primer and lose their eye due to the jet of gas and debris that came through the firing pin hole, back through the bolt, and out between the cocking piece and bolt shroud? (because I have) Would you be upset with yourself if a person pierced a primer and torched a big chunk out of their bolt face and sheared off their extractor, effectively ruining their bolt?

... because that's what the load suggestions you're providing can, have, and will lead to. Point in fact, I've seen it happen to a guy running nearly the exact place you are. If your personal experience hasn't had it happen to you, then it's not a question of if, but when. It's just a matter of round count and conditions. The probability is there. Suppose a young man, 16yrs old, reads your post and says "well if this guy is doing it, I probably can too..." and goes out and loses his eye or damages his rifle? That's the reality of what bad information can do in the real world. Can you live with it, if it's your fault?

That kind of thing would haunt me.

i get what your saying and yes that would haunt me as well...i never posted loads for the speeds i was running in other barrels but i did go back a delete that part of that post.

this was one of my points here...joel is running a 30" barrel with 31.4g i was running 31.3g with a 26" barrel and we was at the same speedsand this is what started this debate.
Yeah, the whole fast barrel/slow barrel thing added in with the component lot number variance can really complicate the sharing of load data. ;)

Small bullets, goofy rifling, strange powder burn characteristics, weird lot numbers of brass... All the more reason for someone to do individual workups that are barrel and component lot number specific! If ANYTHING changes lot numbers... it can completely invalidate everything. There's far less certainty to all of it than most people think.

Reactions: 47guy
now you and i are on the same page because im going off what the same ppl you are talking about are doing.
my smith swears by brux and the 2 i shot made tiny groups just not fast enough at the time....over the last year or 2 ive started slowing things down a bit for the reasons @orkan is talking about but shortly after i started it was all about how fast i could push things.
As stated before, Ive pushed some barrels/brass really hard and learned lessons. Guys that don't turn necks and put a lot of time into prepping brass may not care about only getting 3-5 firings. I do care, and also how long a "hummer barrel" will shoot. Just retire a 6BRA barrel with the 125FB that had just short of 3500 rounds on it last fall. The brass used for that barrel is still going strong, and being used in the new barrel.

On another note; have you put the 109 hybrids on a shot marker or other electronic target to see what your velocity "on target" is? Curious how they compare to a 105's velocity, especially at 800+ yards. Several f-class shooters I compete with tried them, but all eventually gave up because of performance. Never did hear any of them talking about the kind of jump you are using though.
Cheers

Question for any of you that are getting 2950+ with a 105 whatever bullet, 26" barrel and using either Varget or H4895; how new is it, and would you share lot #'s with me? You can do so in a pm if you don't want to post it on here.
Cheers

So, regardless of speed, is 31 grains of Varget in Lapua brass with 105 hybrids over pressure?

If so, a whole bunch of BRA shooters are in for an awakening.

Question for any of you that are getting 2950+ with a 105 whatever bullet, 26" barrel and using either Varget or H4895; how new is it, and would you share lot #'s with me? You can do so in a pm if you don't want to post it on here.
Cheers

hold on let me did some info out for you

Cheers
Sticky bolt with 31.7, as (badly) noted, and had a more flattened primer, over pressure for sure. 31.5 gr was way better and grouped well. Lot 7223.

Attachments

• PXL_20201011_211153605~2.jpg
    PXL_20201011_211153605~2.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20201011_210506390~2.jpg
    PXL_20201011_210506390~2.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: Joel Danielson
So, regardless of speed, is 31 grains of Varget in Lapua brass with 105 hybrids over pressure?

If so, a whole bunch of BRA shooters are in for an awakening.
I don't think it is. I run 31.4 with a tweak on either side depending on temp and bullet. I have brass shooting that load with over 15 firings on them, and pockets are still good. I do think lot #'s on the two most common used powders make a difference. I have old Varget from 2013 that is a lot faster/hotter than some of the newer stuff I have. Usually requires me to drop at least 2/10th to stay in my velocity node.
Cheers

Reactions: 47guy and Eric_F
As stated before, Ive pushed some barrels/brass really hard and learned lessons. Guys that don't turn necks and put a lot of time into prepping brass may not care about only getting 3-5 firings. I do care, and also how long a "hummer barrel" will shoot. Just retire a 6BRA barrel with the 125FB that had just short of 3500 rounds on it last fall. The brass used for that barrel is still going strong, and being used in the new barrel.

On another note; have you put the 109 hybrids on a shot marker or other electronic target to see what your velocity "on target" is? Curious how they compare to a 105's velocity, especially at 800+ yards. Several f-class shooters I compete with tried them, but all eventually gave up because of performance. Never did hear any of them talking about the kind of jump you are using though.
Cheers
we have shot several loads through a shot marker at 600yds but i do not remember speeds at target...we had 4 BRAs at my spot awile back all different loads and had my smith shoot all 4 loads through his gun and all grouped under 3" his shot 1.5" seems like theres not much the BRAs dont shoot well.

i just recently started big jumps after reading about mark gorden doing it and his results so i wanted to see if it did work... .050-.070 off has produced some outstanding groups and they stay consistent in changing environmentals...there are 2 of us with in 1/10th of a grain at .070 off with 109s and one at .050 off with 105s and all are consistently accurate.
we had a practice match/shoot yesterday beautiful 10th of a mil left to right morning and we were calling head shots on coyotes at 650 and 850yds.

so back to lot#s
varget 8lb jugs 80212197071
FED205M 3SE285
peterson brass W1TL0172B
berger 105 hybrid PO1579
i only check velocity is theres an issue other was after i find a load then around 1000 rounds at 1000 rounds this barrel was still running 2965-2970 never checked it again and pulled it at 2100 rounds at start on a new season...i took a high-ish count barrel to a match 400 miles for home and was cheaning it until the 600yd targets and it went down...never again LOL!!

I'm going to mostly stay out of this discussion, but my barrel is 28" and I've settled on 2970 fps, even though I have safely pushed it to above 3000 fps with no pressure signs (in 100° F+ AZ summer temps I might add).

You're right in that most benchrest shooters (a la accurateshooter.com/wheeler/sauter) are shooting 28" barrels.

Has anyone tested the 112 Barnes matchburners?
I’m of the opinion that they are to heavy for the little fella cartridges. I think most are better served to stay in the 105-109 range. I tried 110smk’s I had 100 that shot well but they weren’t any better than 107’s

I’m of the opinion that they are to heavy for the little fella cartridges. I think most are better served to stay in the 105-109 range. I tried 110smk’s I had 100 that shot well but they weren’t any better than 107’s
Yea I have read a lot about that but was having a hard time finding any info specific to the 112/BRA. I was just looking for alil cheaper bullet/available bullet. Thanks for the reply.

Yea I have read a lot about that but was having a hard time finding any info specific to the 112/BRA. I was just looking for alil cheaper bullet/available bullet. Thanks for the reply.
Have you tried the 107’s? Midway will let you back order them

FWIW I'm on BRA barrel #3 with barrel #4 chambered and ready to go, shooting 105 hybrids through all of them. First barrel started out at 2950 fps, 31.4 - 31.6gr of Varget, absolute hammer at those speeds. Eventually started getting a bit of bolt lift about half way through the barrel, very light but enough to disrupt comp shooting. Backed that one off a bit. Also had a rainy match at that load and same speed, brutally over pressure at that load in true wet conditions. Second barrel I switched to H4895, 30.6gr gave me 2920 fps through a 27.5" barrel. No major issues with pressure or brass life, but still felt it was a touch to close to pressure if it ever were to rain hard. Maybe a couple times I would feel bolt lift in dirty conditions, I'm talking just enough to rotate the gun on the bag when cycling the bolt. I'd prefer it be more like dry firing on bolt cycle, zero effort.

Current BRA barrel is 28" Bartlein, .135 freebore, shooting 0.070" jump. This one is a bit of a slower barrel, 30.3gr of H4895 gives me 2860-2880 fps. Hammers just like they all do, but the plus of this one is zero effort bolt lift. Also shot a devastatingly rainy match with zero pressure issues. Completely rain safe load.

I'm pretty happy with that node in the 2860-2880 range, seems very forgiving on all fronts and hasn't hampered any of my match results, everything from very long range targets to high wind conditions, seems to shoot about the same as the faster load but with less worries.

Have you tried the 107’s? Midway will let you back order them
I didn’t realize that. Just went and looked. Dang they are pricey. Almost close to what the new 109 Bergers are. Thanks for the heads up on the 107 though. At these crazy times beggars can’t be choosers.

I didn’t realize that. Just went and looked. Dang they are pricey. Almost close to what the new 109 Bergers are. Thanks for the heads up on the 107 though. At these crazy times beggars can’t be choosers.
I think when Berger’s come back in stock at the bug retailers they are going to 220ish/500.... I hope I’m wrong but I see this happening

This one is a bit of a slower barrel, 30.3gr of H4895 gives me 2860-2880 fps.

I might try this as well, thanks.

Copy and pasted from AS thread....

“30.1 of H4895 is the low node, usually 30-30.3 or so. The high node is 30.9-31.1 usually.”
Alex Wheeler

Reactions: Sheldon N
I used to chase speed. The load I have used for this barrel is pushing a 109 Berger around 2820, basically BR speeds. I can see more trace and less recoil at matches. It’s just a nice soft load to shoot.

29.1 grains 4895
Berger 109 at 25k jump
CCI 450 primer
Bartlein 28 inch barrel
Lapua brass

I have used about 8 pounds of this lot of 4895 and it is faster than the other lots I have used. Seems to be a lot of variation lot to lot in it

29.1 grains 4895
Berger 109 at 25k jump
CCI 450 primer
Bartlein 28 inch barrel
Lapua brass

I have used about 8 pounds of this lot of 4895 and it is faster than the other lots I have used. Seems to be a lot of variation lot to lot in it

that is one reason i do not shoot 4895 that and the couple of lots i tested were a little to temp sensitive for my liking.

that is one reason i do not shoot 4895 that and the couple of lots i tested were a little to temp sensitive for my liking.
I agree with this. The lot to lot variation is bad and it is temp sensitive. I have a bunch of Varget so I’m going to try it on the next barrel when the 4895 is gone. 4895 seems more popular with the bench crowd.

I agree with this. The lot to lot variation is bad and it is temp sensitive. I have a bunch of Varget so I’m going to try it on the next barrel when the 4895 is gone. 4895 seems more popular with the bench crowd.
agree...the thing ive seen with the BR guys is they lot test to find the perfect lot then buy a bunch of that lot and sell off the test lots they bought...ive never had a bad lot of varget some faster some slower but always produced very accurate loads.

FWIW I'm on BRA barrel #3 with barrel #4 chambered and ready to go, shooting 105 hybrids through all of them. First barrel started out at 2950 fps, 31.4 - 31.6gr of Varget, absolute hammer at those speeds. Eventually started getting a bit of bolt lift about half way through the barrel, very light but enough to disrupt comp shooting. Backed that one off a bit. Also had a rainy match at that load and same speed, brutally over pressure at that load in true wet conditions. Second barrel I switched to H4895, 30.6gr gave me 2920 fps through a 27.5" barrel. No major issues with pressure or brass life, but still felt it was a touch to close to pressure if it ever were to rain hard. Maybe a couple times I would feel bolt lift in dirty conditions, I'm talking just enough to rotate the gun on the bag when cycling the bolt. I'd prefer it be more like dry firing on bolt cycle, zero effort.

Current BRA barrel is 28" Bartlein, .135 freebore, shooting 0.070" jump. This one is a bit of a slower barrel, 30.3gr of H4895 gives me 2860-2880 fps. Hammers just like they all do, but the plus of this one is zero effort bolt lift. Also shot a devastatingly rainy match with zero pressure issues. Completely rain safe load.

I'm pretty happy with that node in the 2860-2880 range, seems very forgiving on all fronts and hasn't hampered any of my match results, everything from very long range targets to high wind conditions, seems to shoot about the same as the faster load but with less worries.
Quoting this entire post, as it is 100% the reality of what I've seen from so many guys on their BRA journey. Everyone starts where the internet says, then they run into a situation that straightens them out, and then they are happier and safer from then on.

Bravo @Sheldon N

I'm telling ya fellas... H4350.

If I could only have one powder, that's what it would be. I run it in so many things that the internet says I shouldn't. lol

Last edited:
agree...the thing ive seen with the BR guys is they lot test to find the perfect lot then buy a bunch of that lot and sell off the test lots they bought...ive never had a bad lot of varget some faster some slower but always produced very accurate loads.

The bench guys also load during a match for conditions, so temp sensitivity doesn’t matter as much as it would for PRS. Glad to hear you have success with Varget, I’m going to it next barrel.

Quoting this entire post, as it is 100% the reality of what I've seen from so many guys on their BRA journey. Everyone starts where the internet says, then they run into a situation that straightens them out, and then they are happier and safer from then on.

Bravo @Sheldon N

I'm telling ya fellas... H4350.

If I could only have one powder, that's what it would be. I run it in so many things that the internet says I shouldn't. lol
ive tested 4350 and RL-16 in my BRA...at or under 2700fps with a 105 and compressed loads.

29.1 grains 4895
Berger 109 at 25k jump
CCI 450 primer
Bartlein 28 inch barrel
Lapua brass

That is why I was asking about the lot #'s . The newer lot #'s of Varget seem to be slower than the older ones.

@Joel Danielson do you run your brass tight in your chamber? like you can feel it at the bottom of bolt close?
I use a Newlon die made from a reamer that is full length, but only sizes the body and shoulder about a 1/10th. I have tight neck reamers used for both chambers @ .268, so brass is neck turned to give .0015 on each side of the neck with a loaded round.
I use Alex Wheeler's method of finding the shoulder bump needed for all my dies. He took his videos off fb a while back, but you can still go to his website to view a lot of them. https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/

I might try this as well, thanks.

Copy and pasted from AS thread....

“30.1 of H4895 is the low node, usually 30-30.3 or so. The high node is 30.9-31.1 usually.”
Alex Wheeler

I get 2970 fps out of a 28" barrel with 30.3 grains of H4895.

I think my next barrel will be a 25" barrel for use with a suppressor. While I never chase speed, I think that's generally a bad philosophy, this one will probably be a bit lighter then the last.