• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mm CM PRS Build

rugby10

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2020
I am in the process of building a new 6mm CM (not a reloader) rifle for PRS matches and I am trying to decide on the best action to use.
I will also be ordering a 26" Bartlein barrel with a M24 contour.

I am currently torn between a Terminus Zeus or a Defiance Deviant Elite. I like the possibility of hand tightened barrels
for the Zeus for easier changes, but have been hearing some issues with the bolt stop recently. The Defiance was recommeded by some
of the top pros at K&M, but seems very hard to find.

Had an Impact 737R in the same configuration, had too many issues and sold it. So that is definitely not an option.

Would be interested to hear any thoughts or recommendations. Also would be interested in any gunsmith shops
to do the work if needed.

Thanks.

What issues did you have with the 737R? That is probably one of the top (if not the top) actions for PRS.

What issues did you have with the 737R? That is probably one of the top (if not the top) actions for PRS.

I bought the barreled 737R action direct from Impact and there were constant issues with locking/unlocking the bolt. Sometimes I would have to "whack" the bolt with my hand to get it to move. Sent it back, they fiddled with it and when returned, I found no change.

I bought the barreled 737R action direct from Impact and there were constant issues with locking/unlocking the bolt. Sometimes I would have to "whack" the bolt with my hand to get it to move. Sent it back, they fiddled with it and when returned, I found no change.
Front action screw was probably a hair too long and contacting the bolt lug when installed in the chassis/stock. By chance did you just send the Barreled action back to Impact without the stock? Had that issue once on a R700. Something was clearly wrong since every single ImpactI've handled has had the lightest bolt lift of any brand of action I've handled.

Of the two choices you've given , I'd go Deviant simply because I prefer 90 deg throw to a 60. You could probably just go with a Deviant Tactical though, no real huge differences to the Elite other than CRF, Mech eject

If it was lug contacting action screw it would have done it all the time not just sometimes.

Front action screw was probably a hair too long and contacting the bolt lug when installed in the chassis/stock. By chance did you just send the Barreled action back to Impact without the stock? Had that issue once on a R700. Something was clearly wrong since every single ImpactI've handled has had the lightest bolt lift of any brand of action I've handled.

Of the two choices you've given , I'd go Deviant simply because I prefer 90 deg throw to a 60. You could probably just go with a Deviant Tactical though, no real huge differences to the Elite other than CRF, Mech eject

I just sent back the barreled action as was instructed. It was definitely not the front action screw since it sometimes exhibited the same behavior without being installed in a stock/chassis.

Last edited:
I bought an Ultimatum Deadline back in April with the 6mm CM barrel. It is a great action (my past experience with REM 700 and AI AEII) smooth with 60 degree throw. I got the barreled action and I have been pleasantly surprised it shoots 5 to 7 round groups between .40 and .80 with Fed Match, Prime and Hornady Ammo at 100 yards.

FWIW I bought a Terminus Zeus. It's got the short bolt throw (3 lugs) as well. The barrel change feature really does work easily. I've only got about 100 rounds through it and none under time pressure that might cause me to be banging off the bolt stop, but so far I really like it. I really like the ball bearing on the cocking piece, the 3 lugs, the barrel change feature, the tolerances were tight, allowing pre-fits, etc. The action is smooth and I think it looks great. Highly recommend.

Last edited:
Reactions: rugby10
FWIW I bought a Terminus Zeus. It's got the short bolt throw (3 lugs) as well. The barrel change feature really does work easily. I've only got about 100 rounds through it, but so far I really like it. Like the ball bearing on the cocking piece, the 3 lugs, the barrel change feature, the tolerances were tight, allowing pre-fits, etc. The action is smooth and I think it looks great. Highly recommend.

Leaning that way... Thanks.

I've been running the Terminus Zeus for a couple seasons now and have really liked it. I get a lot of use out of the quick barrel change. The action is super smooth. I recently bought a .384" bolt to run 223rem, seamless transition from one to the other. For my 6CM barrel, I run AW mags, which once they are tuned properly, run very well. I know some people do not like them and have moved to the double stack/single feed with a different follower and have had good success. If you are going to compete in a league, most likely you are going to be going through barrels and being able to switch them out for matches and practice will be a big help. On top of the action, the Owner, Joel is a great guy and stands by his product.

I've been running the Terminus Zeus for a couple seasons now and have really liked it. I get a lot of use out of the quick barrel change. The action is super smooth. I recently bought a .384" bolt to run 223rem, seamless transition from one to the other. For my 6CM barrel, I run AW mags, which once they are tuned properly, run very well. I know some people do not like them and have moved to the double stack/single feed with a different follower and have had good success. If you are going to compete in a league, most likely you are going to be going through barrels and being able to switch them out for matches and practice will be a big help. On top of the action, the Owner, Joel is a great guy and stands by his product.

Thanks for the info... That was exactly what I was thinking. Use a 223 for practice and save the 6mm barrel for matches. Yes, Joel is good people...

Any issues with the scope when changing barrels?

I do not keep track of where each barrel settings are zeroed, I have several others that I switch out, a short 308 win and an old 6CM Krieger barrel that will not die. Over 1700 rounds ( most of them were hot) and no signs of slowing down, I just don't trust it to compete with, it will die at some point. I just throw up a large piece of paper and rezero. I think the widest variance is 5 inches from one barrel to another. I would say when I pull a barrel off and screw it back on, it holds about 1 inch in any direction, but I do not torque the set screws, I just hand tighten them, never had an issue.

Thanks for the info... That was exactly what I was thinking. Use a 223 for practice and save the 6mm barrel for matches. Yes, Joel is good people...

Any issues with the scope when changing barrels?

Reactions: rugby10