• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

6MM Remington

WarKitty

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2014
Hello,
On another forum it was suggested I post my question here.

Looking for some new 6MM Remington recipe.

Remington Model Four 22 inch barrel 1:9 twist Semi Auto
Remington Model Seven 18 inch barrel 1:9 twist Bolt Action

I would like a recipe for a long range target load to push distances as far as possible. Something that will provide a nice trajectory and be effective at negotiating the wind.

I would also like a mule deer load.*

My dad use to use 100 grain Speer bullets when he cooked them for me but he is very old school and I would really like to push the capabilities of the gun.

Bullet & Powder Type*

Thanks,
Kitty

I do not see why the 100 or 105 class bullets wont perform well for you. Assuming you have a manual? There are plenty of good powders and projectiles for your 6mm. Is the rifle performing with the ammo you have?

Many of the 6mm projectiles are tried and true in the 243 win, especially in that bolt action. The semi automatic may lend itself to being a bit more picky on your powder choice. Slower powders that may perform in bolt actions may not give he same success in that semi auto. I would probably load it with a function first, accuracy second mentality. You may also run into an issue with OAL depending on your load and the rifle magazine.

I would go with h4350 or a similar powder and go from there. I am not sure how well it will do in the semi, but I would think you should get good results in your bolt rifle. Your twist should stabilize the 100g class bullets. The heavier ones may indeed get dicey though.

I have been playing with one of my old factory Rem700's in 6mmRem. I believe it has a 1:9" twist, but wont shoot a 105grVLD at all. I was getting 5-6" groups at 100yds. Then I tried the 95grVLD and it produced three sub 1/2MOA groups with Varget. Im going to try H4350, which should give me better velocity than the Varget. I also got bored and started making my 6mmRem brass from 270 and 30-06 brass when I couldn't find it in stock.