• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6mmCreed vs 6xc vs 6x47 vs 6 Crusader

Like, I said before, 6SLR is the only no-brainer - it's a 6BR shoulder/neck on a 308 case - it's simple, it's proven, it's what 243 and 6Creed should have been.

6SLR has all the pros of 243 and none of the cons - never-ending brass from ALL manufacturers, you can use 6BR dies, no need to fireform, less powder, more velocity, perfect feeding, better barrel life.

6Creed theoretically makes more sense, but from practicality SLR wins.

The proof is in the use. There's a reason the PRS and most tac comps are dominated by the 6creed.

I'd argue it has less to do with the cartridge itself, and more to do with GAP choosing it amongst a myriad of good choices.

Had GAP chosen the XC, it would proliferate more.

Likewise with x47, 243, SLR etc etc.

Mike, agree 100% about barrel life. So many experts claim that 800-1000 rds is tops in a 243, they are usually full of shit. I have 2 243 that have no trouble with 3130 ish with 107&105 bullets. Win brass and 42.0-42.2 gr, a 24"&25" both .236" Krieger tubes.

According to SHOOTER app.

Using 105 hybrids in a 9 mph wind from 9 o'clock at 1000Y.

3150fps gives .9 mil drift.
3050fps gives .9 mil drift- we know it's going to blow slightly more than the 3150 fps velocity but within a click still.
2950fps gives 1 mil drift.

That's at 1000Y but most of our shooting is going to be inside of 1000Y where the wind will have even less affect.

Lets face it, there's not too many rifleman that can either guess the wind within 1 click or for that matter hold within 1 click under stress.

So there are the other considerations which one might consider more beneficial to all out speed. Things like brass cost, availability, brass longevity, brass quality, case efficiency(powder consumption,load density,etc), optimum OACL length for feeding out of AI mags, how many pieces will be lost in matches and I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of.

According to SHOOTER app.

Using 105 hybrids in a 9 mph wind from 9 o'clock at 1000Y.

3150fps gives .9 mil drift.
3050fps gives .9 mil drift- we know it's going to blow slightly more than the 3150 fps velocity but within a click still.
2950fps gives 1 mil drift.

That's at 1000Y but most of our shooting is going to be inside of 1000Y where the wind will have even less affect.

Lets face it, there's not too many rifleman that can either guess the wind within 1 click or for that matter hold within 1 click under stress.

So there are the other considerations which one might consider more beneficial to all out speed. Things like brass cost, availability, brass longevity, brass quality, case efficiency(powder consumption,load density,etc), optimum OACL length for feeding out of AI mags, how many pieces will be lost in matches and I'm sure there are other things I'm not thinking of.

Correct way to look at it. Nice post Steve123

I'd argue it has less to do with the cartridge itself, and more to do with GAP choosing it amongst a myriad of good choices.

Had GAP chosen the XC, it would proliferate more.

Likewise with x47, 243, SLR etc etc.

Sorry but that's just not the case. There are ample shooters out there with no affiliation with GAP and some, for example Team Surgeon, whose best interest is not using their competitors product. But the truth is the 6cm works better for a litany of reasons plain and simple.

What's the case volume difference between xc and creedmoor? I know the xc is just a tad bit smaller when compared to each other side by side and 3150fps with the creedmoor is very easy to reach. Mines coming out of a 24" barrel so it's not a 30 inch setup or anything. 42.6gn of h4350 gets me there and 42.2gn of h100v gets the same results for me. Basically 3158fps average with a ES of 4-6fps. Bottom line the 6mm stuff whatever it may be imo flat out rocks. In the end the shooter makes the shots so even though I can put 5 shots in one hole I'll always have someone who will out shoot me on their bad days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

XC holds just under 50grs of H2O, I measured my creed brass at 51.5grs H20.

Sorry but that's just not the case. There are ample shooters out there with no affiliation with GAP and some, for example Team Surgeon, whose best interest is not using their competitors product. But the truth is the 6cm works better for a litany of reasons plain and simple.

OK, you're right and I'm wrong.

The 6mm Creedmoor is beyond any question, the best 6mm cartridge available today.

The 6mm Creedmoor is beyond any question, the best 6mm cartridge available today.

Is good that you finally realized that.

Now explain to all of us how all the top tac shooters in the country are just a bunch of sheep even though they can choose any cartridge they want yet they are using the 6cm even though it's inferior but only because "GAP" came up with it?

I'm not arguing with you, you know when Hornady came out with the 6.5 I was like, if only someone came out with a 6 Creedmoor, when I saw a thread started by someone here about the 6 Creed I started ordering all my shit even though I knew about David's XC round.

And on the subject, why didn't everyone go to the 6xc? You didn't see everyone all over it because David Tubb invented it. It came out way before the 6cm while everyone was using the 243. You know why? Brass was difficult to get, dies were difficult to get and the brass when you could get it was expensive. And comparing performance from a 243 to a 6xc was a no brainer. 243 bested it every time. Now you could argue that brass and dies are readily available but there are many here with a bad taste in their mouth for the 6xc (although still acknowledging it's a great round) but can get the same performance from something else.

My apple is better than your's... sheesh.

The best 6mm is the one you have. It's a moot point between the cases you're debating here, each has a pro or con vs the others.

6x47 Lapua
- need to set the 6.5mm neck back
-/+ a little less capacity, but more pressure allowed
+ small primer, tough web area, longer case life

6XC
+ no forming
? a tiny bit more capacity
- large rifle primer, less pressure allowed

6 Creed
- need to set the 6.5mm neck back
? a tiny bit more capacity than 6XC

+ no work
- overbore

SLR
- overbore
- case needs forming

All of them will shoot lights out.

All have a 308 bolt face

All of them will pretty much wear a barrel out in the same number of rounds.

So all cases pretty much zero out on pro/con IMHO. It's all down to what brass or loaded ammo you can source easily where you live.

Less bickering, more shooting!

NB: As for the SLR being a no brainer and using 6BR dies... What do you use to size the bottom of your cases with? The 6BR die will only go about half way over the case. Then the question if the reamer for the SLR is really tapered to exactly fit the 6BR at the top half. With the extra work involved in forming the cases, the 6XC would be a no brainer ;) I shoot a 6x47 Lapua as CM brass is unobtanium here and I like the small rifle primer (have tons of CCI BR4 and 450).

Even if the 6CM round is better, its still hamstrung with Hornadys brass. Your now going to live with what maybe 4 or 5 loads, even at that cost Lapua brass it would still be cheaper. It is common knowledge that XC cases can be made from 6.5CM brass. Anything with the "GAP" name carries a lot of weight in this industry. With their support of the CM round, of course people are going to take notice. I shoot a 6.5CM even with my lack of skill, it doesn't take much effort to sub 1/2 moa groups with a basically stock 700 receiver and Kreiger barrel. I don't shoot anywhere near high pressure loads and I have pocket that are loose with 5 loads on them. If Hornadys brass was better quality, I might have been more inclined to have stuck with the CM based round.

Below is a piece from 6mmbr.

On July 20, shooting at the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club, German confirmed that RL17 can deliver real-world, match-winning accuracy. Shooting a 500-yard prone High Power match on the NRA MR65 target, using iron sights, German posted a very impressive 600-39X score. The three relays were shot with three different loads of RL17 in progressively "hotter" increments: 40.6 grains (3215 fps), 41.2 grains (3290 fps), and 41.8 grains (3311 fps). He shot 200-14X with the low load, 200-15X with the middle load, and 200-10X with the hottest load. German felt the middle load was the most consistent. (NOTE: these loads are all with moly-coated bullets--you should reduce the load by at least one full grain for "naked" bullets".)
reloder17.gif
German explains: "Ask any high power shooter and he'll tell you 600-39X is quite an achievement with iron sights on the new (smaller) MR65 target at 500 yards. I can say with assurance now that this powder will shoot accurately in the 6XC. Last week, using H4831sc, shooting the same 6XC rifle, at the same range, with the same course of fire, I shot a 598-29x. I do think Reloder 17 helped me shoot a higher score this week, with 10 more Xs. The extra velocity afforded by RL17 reduces wind drift considerably, and the elevation held very consistently, particularly with the first two loads."

Even at the hottest load, 41.8 grains (3311 fps) of RL17, German did not observe sticky bolt lift or other notable signs of pressure. So far, then, what we've learned about Reloder 17 is "all good" -- in the appropriate cartridge, it will boost velocities dramatically, and it can deliver competitive accuracy in High Power competition.

6creed needs no work done to the brass at all

Indeed, no minuses for the 6 Creed, Hornady makes the brass and as I've mentioned, 250 brass is easily formed to make 6 Creed, if you wanna go that route.

Even if the 6CM round is better, its still hamstrung with Hornadys brass. Your now going to live with what maybe 4 or 5 loads, even at that cost Lapua brass it would still be cheaper. It is common knowledge that XC cases can be made from 6.5CM brass. Anything with the "GAP" name carries a lot of weight in this industry. With their support of the CM round, of course people are going to take notice. I shoot a 6.5CM even with my lack of skill, it doesn't take much effort to sub 1/2 moa groups with a basically stock 700 receiver and Kreiger barrel. I don't shoot anywhere near high pressure loads and I have pocket that are loose with 5 loads on them. If Hornadys brass was better quality, I might have been more inclined to have stuck with the CM based round.

On July 20, shooting at the Phoenix Rod & Gun Club, German confirmed that RL17 can deliver real-world, match-winning accuracy. Shooting a 500-yard prone High Power match on the NRA MR65 target, using iron sights, German posted a very impressive 600-39X score. The three relays were shot with three different loads of RL17 in progressively "hotter" increments: 40.6 grains (3215 fps), 41.2 grains (3290 fps), and 41.8 grains (3311 fps). He shot 200-14X with the low load, 200-15X with the middle load, and 200-10X with the hottest load. German felt the middle load was the most consistent. (NOTE: these loads are all with moly-coated bullets--you should reduce the load by at least one full grain for "naked" bullets".)
reloder17.gif
German explains: "Ask any high power shooter and he'll tell you 600-39X is quite an achievement with iron sights on the new (smaller) MR65 target at 500 yards. I can say with assurance now that this powder will shoot accurately in the 6XC. Last week, using H4831sc, shooting the same 6XC rifle, at the same range, with the same course of fire, I shot a 598-29x. I do think Reloder 17 helped me shoot a higher score this week, with 10 more Xs. The extra velocity afforded by RL17 reduces wind drift considerably, and the elevation held very consistently, particularly with the first two loads."

Even at the hottest load, 41.8 grains (3311 fps) of RL17, German did not observe sticky bolt lift or other notable signs of pressure. So far, then, what we've learned about Reloder 17 is "all good" -- in the appropriate cartridge, it will boost velocities dramatically, and it can deliver competitive accuracy in High Power competition.

Yeah, I did not get even close to 200fps more using RE17, it was more like 70fps at best, though it was in my 6 Creed. The lot number I've got is very close as far as date as what German and Bob used. Oh, and I'm going on 6 firings and primer pockets tight as ever.

Last edited:

reloder17.gif

The fact that you claim you're "hamstrung" by Hornady brass discredits your opinion because (again) those that actually go out and SHOOT the round rather than talk about it know that there are many getting 10+ firings on their cases. This brass is not your typical hunting Hornady brass, the quality is quite good. People take notice of the round because the pros far out weigh the cons. Again, the xc has been around for a long time and if it was the best choice for tactical competition shooters, it would be used.

Now to address the 6mmbr piece, what is the point? German could have shot that with any 6mm cartridge. Next, those rifles are completely different from tactical rifles and have almost nothing in common other than their caliber. So I'm not sure what your point is other than to try and pimp RL-17 (which has it's known issues)

NB: As for the SLR being a no brainer and using 6BR dies... What do you use to size the bottom of your cases with? The 6BR die will only go about half way over the case. Then the question if the reamer for the SLR is really tapered to exactly fit the 6BR at the top half. With the extra work involved in forming the cases, the 6XC would be a no brainer ;) I shoot a 6x47 Lapua as CM brass is unobtanium here and I like the small rifle primer (have tons of CCI BR4 and 450).

6SLR has 243 Win taper, if you are using range pick-ups - run the case through 243 (or 308) dies - that will set the proper taper and resize the bottom; 6BR has less taper and doesn't touch the sides when sizing neck and shoulder. The 30deg shoulder makes the brass very stable - I haven't needed to do body work after many many reloads, just neck.

After running through the die(s) - brass is ready for shooting, fireforming is not a must (no different than any other "virgin" brass).

Now to address the 6mmbr piece, what is the point? German could have shot that with any 6mm cartridge. Next, those rifles are completely different from tactical rifles and have almost nothing in common other than their caliber. So I'm not sure what your point is other than to try and pimp RL-17 (which has it's known issues)[/QUOTE]

That is the point! He must have elected to utilize for a reason, maybe the same reason Tubbs has stuck with over the years.

[MENTION=76264]MoBoost[/MENTION]:

Thanks for the explantion. Didn't know you used it for neck-sizing only. I always do a minimal FL size to avoid sticking (hot loads), hence the assumption you were FL sizing with the 6BR die.

Forming the SLR does more than when you use a new 243 case in a 243 chamber. Fireforming is transforming one case from a different one by shooting it. Firing normal brass is just firing it, not much to change/form. I trust new brass enough to shoot it straight into competition, but not so brass that needs to be formed first. But anyway, it's all minor work and a practice session at the local range will handle that. As I said, any of the cases listed is really a moot point.

PS: Didn't know they made 6CM, only 6.5CM, my bad. Neither is available here in NL, even Norma 6XC is hard to get and expensive.

As for the 6BR vs all other 6s... A good shooter will shoot good, no matter the cartridge. If you use good components, any cartridge can shoot with the best of them. I once had a 7.62x39 bolt action built to prove that point, as when I mention 7.62x39 here, everyone automatically associates it with the AK47 and the spray-and-pray accuracy of that combination. Point is the barrel is a .308 bore Bartlein on a Surgeon 591 and Lapua makes brass for it, use a 308 bullet like on a plain-jane 308 with Vihta and a good primer and you have an accurate cartridge in an accurate rifle. Shoots bugholes just like any other case using the same quality components. Ridicule quickly turns into head scratching :D

Last edited:
Now to address the 6mmbr piece, what is the point? German could have shot that with any 6mm cartridge. Next, those rifles are completely different from tactical rifles and have almost nothing in common other than their caliber. So I'm not sure what your point is other than to try and pimp RL-17 (which has it's known issues)

That is the point! He must have elected to utilize for a reason, maybe the same reason Tubbs has stuck with over the years.[/QUOTE]

Tubb invented the 6xc so I hope he would stick with it. Do we know if German is sponsored? You act as if this is a good vs. bad comparison and it's not. It's a comparison to show which of all the great cartridges is most advantageous for a tac comp shooter. Again, you have to look at the details about that type of shooter. He's not a tactical competition shooter and his problems/concerns are not those of a tac comp shooter. You can't make a comparison like than when the examples are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

Forming the SLR does more than when you use a new 243 case in a 243 chamber. Fireforming is transforming one case from a different one by shooting it.

6 SLR does NOT require fireforming :

Range pick 243, lube, run through 243 FL die, run through 6mmBR shimmed FL die, trim - you got 6SLR virgin case.

On reloads I just use 6mmBR die as a shoulder bump/neck die - @ 3200 fps with 105s I just don't have enough pressure to grow the case.

I think the point that is being made with regards to the 6SLR is that there is an extra step in the processing SLR brass is not available.

And isn't any faster than the 6 Creed while using more powder.
Taken from: Super LR

" The Super LR has sufficient case capacity to permit the 115 gr. 6mm bullets to be shot up in the 2950 – 3000 fps range without being “on the edge” of maximum pressures. As a competition shooter looking for consistency over long strings of fire, I find this appealing. Frankly, I never had good consistent accuracy over long strings of fire with loads right up at “max”. If you do not need to run sustained fire in long strings, you can “hot rod” things more. Testing has shown that the Super LR has the capability to run the 115’s up around 3100 fps without issues. If you like to shoot the 105-108 gr. class of 6mm bullets, the 6mm Super LR can also push them up in the 3150-3200 fps range with the right selection of powders. In addition, if you like to shoot the 105-108 gr. bullets and like to keep them close to the lands, the Super LR cartridge case neck is long enough to give most of them a good bearing surface purchase, even if the chamber is throated for the 115 gr. bullets. This is not possible with the parent .243 Winchester case with its shorter neck."

Check on the SLR.

What powder do you use? The SLR might be a future option, brass costs 1/2 that of the 6.5x47 which I use now.

I thought it was a discussion. Salazar use to shoot an 06 in match.

JGorski,
I couldve got either one of course, I decided on the 6 Creed. With RE17 either one will get over 3300fps(Moly coated) with 105s. Here's my 6 Creed. 28" HV Bartlein, T4 manners, CG trigger, 8-32 Tac Sightron, X-treme S/S action. Alliant Reloder 17

How do you like your CG? I found that piece on RL17 in from your old post when I was researching the 6XC trying to decided.

Range pick 243, lube, run through 243 FL die, run through 6mmBR shimmed FL die, trim - you got 6SLR virgin case.

On reloads I just use 6mmBR die as a shoulder bump/neck die - @ 3200 fps with 105s I just don't have enough pressure to grow the case.

I think the point that is being made with regards to the 6SLR is that there is an extra step in the processing SLR brass is not available.

Why not just use a 6SLR die? I'm waiting on Bartlein for the barrel so I'm no expert yet, but running an old piece of .260 brass through my Redding 6SLR die yielded a nice, pretty 6SLR case without needing multiple resizings.

I thought it was a discussion. Salazar use to shoot an 06 in match.

JGorski,
I couldve got either one of course, I decided on the 6 Creed. With RE17 either one will get over 3300fps(Moly coated) with 105s. Here's my 6 Creed. 28" HV Bartlein, T4 manners, CG trigger, 8-32 Tac Sightron, X-treme S/S action. Alliant Reloder 17

How do you like your CG? I found that piece on RL17 in from your old post when I was researching the 6XC trying to decided.
Yeah, I never got to try any moly coated bullets in my creed, just figured it would get those velocities since German and Bob were getting it in their rifles, did get just shy of 3100 with coated DTACs, though. With moly coated (105s) bullets I'd have to load another 1.5grs which would probably get me 3300fps. German was shooting a 30" bbl, I believe.

The CG is a great trigger, maybe not thee best for 600BR but it works well.

German Salazar should never be mentioned, quoted, or looked up to on this site. He is a pompous nut head that hates everything about our style of rifles and the things we do with them.

I've used just about every cartridge listed in this post trying to find that special "one" and I cannot say that one is better than the other performance wise. Barrel maf./ length of tubes, loading techniques, and bullet/powder choices are the real differences that matter. No matter what one person says another will disagree...

Everyone is just wrong, dead nuts wrong. We all know a 416 rigby is the go to tactical match round of choice :)

Even though I'm not happy with the 6mm creedmoore brass from hornady (primer pockets is all I'm not happy about) I will still continue to use the round. I know it well, it works well and out shoots me every day of the week. I will say I do prefer my 3150fps load compared to the 3020fos load which is also extremely accurate. Barrels are a consumable imo and I'm sitting at 1220 rounds on my current 24" brux 1-7.5 barrel with zero accuracy loss. It may completly drop off the next time I shoot it and if so I've had 1200+ rounds of an awesome shooting caliber. There is another accuracy node up around 3310fps but that yields me with a Dq in a match and a hotter barrel aftet a string of 12-15 shots. When I go out to a mile with it in however will run that load :)

I'm using 37.5gn of IMR4064 to push 105gn @ 3200fps in 1:8 28" barrel.
I'm guessing the pressure is around 60k.
Might have better results with slower powders, but I never bothered since this works so well.

Haven't tried IMR4064 in my creed, did try RE15 fireforming some 250 brass just to see if I could do it, but Im guessing around 34-35grs of either powder would get me around 3200.

As for the 6BR vs all other 6s... A good shooter will shoot good, no matter the cartridge. If you use good components, any cartridge can shoot with the best of them. I once had a 7.62x39 bolt action built to prove that point, as when I mention 7.62x39 here, everyone automatically associates it with the AK47 and the spray-and-pray accuracy of that combination. Point is the barrel is a .308 bore Bartlein on a Surgeon 591 and Lapua makes brass for it, use a 308 bullet like on a plain-jane 308 with Vihta and a good primer and you have an accurate cartridge in an accurate rifle. Shoots bugholes just like any other case using the same quality components. Ridicule quickly turns into head scratching :D[/QUOTE]

That's F'n hilarious! With 10 tw bbl, that would be a great set up for 208 amax's. Like a 300BO, but with nuts enough to run the heavies w/o going all the way to a 308. Or sling the 110/125 class bullets at a respectable velocity.

I was shooting 110 Bergers and 155 scenars, had a 1:13 twist. Did not think about subsonic use until I already had the 13tw.

If your not getting the MV you want, try hanging powders. I have a 6x47L barrel that's 28" and pushes 105gr scenarL at 3210fps with awesome accuracy. It's one of my F-Class barrels. I use 42gr of RL19 in it. I can Neck Size for 2-3 reloads until a few cases get slighty harder to close bolt on chamber. I can't do that running H4350 with less MV. I hate H4350 to be honest. Bad powder choice in a hot 6mm in my opinion. Burns to hot, will wear a barrel out faster, fire cracks a bore faster I think and is much harder to clean too. Just my opinion on experience from 2x 6x47L barrels which I use for BR and F-Class. When they get back to 26" or less they will get used for smacking steel and smashing varmints.

My point is choose the correct powder for the cartridge and the burn rate of H4350 In my opinion will hold you back to get best MV and accuracy from your hot 6mm. Also shoulder angle will have an effect too. Is why the 243 can burn barrels faster and isn't as efficient as the 6x47L and alike.

I run a 6xc, I was tempted to build a 6x47 but went the xc route. I love it. Making xc brass from 22-250 Lapua brass is easy, bump with a 308 modified die, hit it with the 6xc and send some 105g hybrid Berger's out. When I smoke this barrel I'll get another one.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I run a 6xc, I was tempted to build a 6x47 but went the xc route. I love it. Making xc brass from 22-250 Lapua brass is easy, bump with a 308 modified die, hit it with the 6xc and send some 105g hybrid Berger's out. When I smoke this barrel I'll get another one.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

One too many steps, Creed requires only passing 250 brass thru Creed die then shoot, the shell on the left was a 22-250 case, right is a Hornady 6 Creed case, other pic is right before I fired them, should've got the Creed :):)
dwRqTzS.jpg

u3ddagv.jpg

Winchester is about to come out with 6.5 Creed brass. This necked down to 6mm will be the equalizer for that cartridge as Winchester brass is good/hard brass that can take a lot of firings. I have buddies that run the 6Creed and they all report loose primer pockets after 4-5 firings...

Winchester is about to come out with 6.5 Creed brass. This necked down to 6mm will be the equalizer for that cartridge as Winchester brass is good/hard brass that can take a lot of firings. I have buddies that run the 6Creed and they all report loose primer pockets after 4-5 firings...

I'll that all day long! I'm actually taking a break now from prepping 300 6mm creedmoor cases and it's not very hard to tell which ones have loose primer pockets just from decapping. I usually throw those into a different stack container and measure the pockets just for shits and giggles. Sure enough almost all that are in the loose primer bucket all measure a good bit larger and these only have 3 firings on them. Swapping to wolf primers has helped some though and actually brought the es down a little compared to the Cci br2 and Cci 250 primers that I had been using. Those still yielded a sub 10fps es over a 10 shot group though.

Yup, if I were loading over 41.9grs I'd probably getting loose primer pockets, too. Keep it in the lower pressure range and you're good and still have a laser. I mean, isn't 3150ish fast enough for you?

JGorski...... You never miss a single opportunity to say anything you can about 6 Creed. If the 6 Creed had a asshole, I'm guessing you'd lick it.

Yup, if I were loading over 41.9grs I'd probably getting loose primer pockets, too. Keep it in the lower pressure range and you're good and still have a laser. I mean, isn't 3150ish fast enough for you?

Not all barrels will pull 3150 with that load. The load development I did for a gap built 6mm creedmoor took 43.2gn of h4350 to pull 3150fps! I'm assuming it will pick up like mine did but it was only around 20fps or so. Either way the gun had another accuracy node around 3100fps which is where my buddy is going to run it at to help with brass/barrel life.