• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47 115gr dtac with ? powder

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    I just thought I would throw this out their. I have a 6x47 i just got it seems to be shooting the 115gr dtac quite well with vv560 and cci450 problem is I am having trouble finding vv560 and only have a pound left. curretly have 28" 7.5twist kreiger that pushes dtac at 3090fps w/41gr vv560 and looking for something with similar results.

I have heard that H4350 works well, I have varget, RL 15,17,19,22,25, H1000, H4831sc. thanks for any input you guys may have.

Re: 6x47 115gr dtac with ? powder

RL19 is just a tad slower than H4350, so that should do pretty well, RL22 might be a little slow, RL17, while I don't have any first hand with it, is another good powder per rumor and things like 243, 280, 284, 30-06... Your overbore ratio is similar to the 260

I'd probably start with RL19.

I'm running H4350, but finally got a pound of RL-17 for testing.

JeffVN

Diggler,

Havent used it with the 115's yet but Re17 beat out H4350 in my 6x47 with 105's 115's will be next. Too bad I aint on the mainland I got a bunch of N560. Goodluck in finding a load!

H4350 and RL 17.. RL17 = more fps
    grin.gif

i was waiting on a sm sighting on this, sm have you tried the 17 115 combo if so what speeds?

The V 560 is a double based powder, similar to the Reloder series, the Hodgden powders are single based. The double based will give more energy and higher velocity, the single based give more consistency, especially the Hodgden Extreme series. There is also some information that indicates that the double based powders are a little harder on the barrels throat. It all depends on your priorities, fast or consistent?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H4350 and RL 17.. RL17 = more fps
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

SM,

How was your accuracy with RL 17? In mine it beat out the H4350 that was recommended by previous owner.

Thanks!

To test temp. sensitivity. Put 3 loaded rounds in the fride for a few hours, put 3 more rounds on the dash of your truck in the sun for a few hours, then shoot both batches over the chronograph.
    Try Rl-17 and H4350 at the same time. They don't even compare

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To test temp. sensitivity. Put 3 loaded rounds in the fride for a few hours, put 3 more rounds on the dash of your truck in the sun for a few hours, then shoot both batches over the chronograph.
    Try Rl-17 and H4350 at the same time. They don't even compare </div></div>

what did you find ? H4350 stable and 17 not so much

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kawika</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H4350 and RL 17.. RL17 = more fps
    grin.gif
    </div></div>

SM,

How was your accuracy with RL 17? In mine it beat out the H4350 that was recommended by previous owner.

Thanks! </div></div>

I did little work with H4350 in 6x47L.I ended up using N-160 instead before R-17 came out.I had some bad experiences "pressure problems" with H4350 in my 6.5-284 a few times and got soured on it.

Yes R-17 is a little temperature sensitive but not much.I like it because it's given excellent accuracy and more so, higher velocity than any other powder I've used in 6x47L.I've shot a .173" 5 shot group with it and a handful of .2's.Consider the fact that almost any gunpowder has some temperature sensitivity even Hodgedon extreme powders.

What I've done is put the low temp velocity and high temp velocity,"which is only 40 fps" into my ballistic program then when I enter the actual temperature into the program later when I'm ready to shoot,the program automatically uses an extrapolated velocity.Besides that if It's real cold out or real hot I'm usually not out shooting
    grin.gif

Steve

I just ran some numbers through JBM to do a little comparison. Assuming 20fps spread due to temp for H4350 and 40fps spread for R17. Using a 107SMK - H4350 3010high 2990low - R173140high 3100low. (all assumptions). I was surprised to find that the advantage of the overall increase in velocity with R17 far outweighs any advantage H4350 has in temperature in-sensitivity. For example at 1000yd the drop for H4350 is 243"(3010fps) and 267"(2990fps). With R17 it is 237"(3140fps) and 245"(3100fps). So if the rifleman completely forgot to adjust for the temperature change he would still be much better off using R17. Add into this the increased fudge factor for range determination and R17 becomes a no brainer.

If you guys are getting "only 40 fps difference" it seems I got a bad lot of Rl-17. Make that 3 bad lots. I was getting 55-70 fps difference with the 17 and 8 fps with the H4350.
    Same day, same rifle, same chrono.

7Bat,

What were the temperature ranges ? Did you do the fridge/dash test or were those morning and evening,I mean aftrenoon ? I did first thing in the morning and mid afternoon.Maybe a 25-30 degree swing.

Steve

Nope, fridge dash test. 16 degrees to about 100.
    I know this sounds extreme, but when you drive cross country to go to a match, you don't want to be worried about what your velocity is doing.
    Last year we went to El Reno, OK to a long range hunting match.
    When I left home it was 75 degrees, my 243 was spitting a 115 out at 3050. In Oklahoma, it was in the high teens. My rifle held my 100 yard zero so I thought all was great, I was very very wrong, now that same 243 was spitting them out about 2920... Not cool
    Luckily the ole trusty 7BAT shooting Retumbo came through and held things together. I switched to H1000 in the 243 and haven't looked back. I do my very best to only shoot extreme powders, even if that means losing a few FPS

wow this got rejuvinated while I was at a match thanks for all the great info guys. glad to see the 6x47 is more popular than I had imagined.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope, fridge dash test. 16 degrees to about 100.
    I know this sounds extreme, but when you drive cross country to go to a match, you don't want to be worried about what your velocity is doing.
    Last year we went to El Reno, OK to a long range hunting match.
    When I left home it was 75 degrees, my 243 was spitting a 115 out at 3050. In Oklahoma, it was in the high teens. My rifle held my 100 yard zero so I thought all was great, I was very very wrong, now that same 243 was spitting them out about 2920... Not cool
    Luckily the ole trusty 7BAT shooting Retumbo came through and held things together. I switched to H1000 in the 243 and haven't looked back. I do my very best to only shoot extreme powders, even if that means losing a few FPS </div></div>

You know how life is?

Can't have your cake and it too,especially when it comes to smokeless powders
    smile.gif

Maybe they'll come out with a high energy powder someday that does both well,who knows?

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the info really appreciate it Re17 did best for me as well accuracy wise I shot both H4350 and Re17 and Re17 won.

I did not chrono any loads due to the fact that where I shoot theres a slope that goes downhill from the shooting benches and I would have to hire a carpenter to make a 20 foot tall stand to hold my screens
    grin.gif
    I'll go down early oneday and see if I can get set up at the other end where the slope aint so bad.

Also living in Hawaii has its benefits our temp range here is stable year round
    laugh.gif

Aloha!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6mmFan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ran some numbers through JBM to do a little comparison. Assuming 20fps spread due to temp for H4350 and 40fps spread for R17. Using a 107SMK - H4350 3010high 2990low - R173140high 3100low. (all assumptions). I was surprised to find that the advantage of the overall increase in velocity with R17 far outweighs any advantage H4350 has in temperature in-sensitivity. For example at 1000yd the drop for H4350 is 243"(3010fps) and 267"(2990fps). With R17 it is 237"(3140fps) and 245"(3100fps). So if the rifleman completely forgot to adjust for the temperature change he would still be much better off using R17. Add into this the increased fudge factor for range determination and R17 becomes a no brainer. </div></div>

Interesting 6mmFan! For some reason I never thought to compare it like that.

Steve

Diggler,

I finally got to shoot some 115's though they were bergers and not the DTAC's. Using RL 17 I worked up from 34 to 38 grains the 38 gr load had slightly heavier bolt lift but other than that nothing else regarding pressure. All loads shot .5 or better with the 35 gr load shooting a .040 group. Groups were only 3 shots so I will do some more testing as these are the first time shooting 115's from this rifle. The winds were horrible yesterday it was hard to keep steady. When I find a load i'll try to chrono it and see what she's doing in terms of velocity.

Take it easy and Goodluck!

thank you sir looking forward to the chrono results, i am mostly concerned about temp sensitivity. i haven't had any good luck with any of the other reloader powders in that department, they are typically faster than hodgon powders just not as consistent for me at least.

Hey Diggler,
    No Problem I understand wanting to figure out how temp sensitive it is i'll let you know when I got some results. I went back to the range today to try and get chrono data but it was a madhouse. So I will have to try another day sorry!

I did manage to recheck the 35 gr load I shot the other day and did very well. Had a hard time though had a guy with a 416 Barrett next to me.

Also being in Hawaii our temps are very stable so we dont have as much temp issues like others do because we dont normally see huge temp differences here unless we hunt sheep up on mauna kea etc then we go 10,000 elev or higher and the temps drop bigtime.

Take it easy!

I have just started to do load development on mine and I am amazed at the velocities I am getting out of such a little case. I have worked up to 41.3 grains of H4350 (this is much higher than most loads I have seen for 105's) and I am getting almost 3200 fps with absolutely no pressure signs. The only problem is accuracy starts to fall off around 3050 fps with the H4350. I am going to try some RL17 and IMR 4007 this week and see how it goes.

be careful the little cases with hold way more pressure than standard cases so just because you don't have any pressure signs doesn't mean the pressure isn't their.

diggler I am watching very closely and I am measuring case head expansion and looking for all the signs. I know that the Lapua cases will stand a lot more pressure before they show signs of over pressure but there isn't even a hint right now. The primers of the highest load look no different than the starting load. I talked with my gunsmith and he is getting similar velocities but with a lot less powder. I am going to go back down with the powder charge because of the accuracy but it is nice to know that I have got a large cushion before I start getting into trouble.