• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47 Lapua vs 6 mm Creedmoor

caldwcj

Private
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
Central IL
Guys, have done multiple searches on both calibers and found some information. Looking for input from who's running either caliber, better if you have used both. Any and all information is appreciated. I did read the post by Bugholes on the caliber comparisons, just looking for additional input. Thanks!

I've been really happy with my 6Creed, though it's in my GAP-10. It's a really accurate cartridge, easy to load for, and you can shoot it all day without burning too much cash or bruising your shoulder. First round hits on a 12x12 plate at 1000 yards isn't hard if the wind stays under 15mph. I'm at exactly 7.0 mils at 1k with the 105 pointed hybrids. It's way easier making hits with my 6Creed at that range than my 17" 308 upper.

No experience with the 6x47 though, the 6.5x47 shoots lights out, and does it with less powder. If you have any doubts on that, check out some of Bob L. Swagger's range reports on Gradous-built 6.5s. Pure-frickin' laser beams

Love my 6 Creedmoor built by Crescent Customs! Very accurate and fun to shoot. Liked it so much, I had Moon build me a second one on a Surgeon Action. No experience with the 6X47.

I shot the 6-47 and it was really good. Accurate, you could run the 105's to 3100 with no issue. I still have one 6-47 but switched to another 6 mm due to the brass cost adn the ability to run a slower powder.

6-47 Brass was $1.19 a piece. If you lose 10 to 20 at a match it adds up quickly.
6-47 Ran H4350 which is known to be a little harder on barrels. It is a high pressure wound and seem to burn a barrel in Match conditions at 1700 rounds.

No experience with the creed, but if you run H4831 you may get 2000 rounds. Brass may be cheaper.

Reactions: Terry of illinois
6mmCreed has factory headstamp brass available so no necking down from 6.5. Has a little more case capacity than x47. From what I've read the brass when pushed fails fairly quick. Or perhaps primer pockets are a bit oversized to begin with??? Also a less expensive than the lapua brass/ approx 30% cheaper.

6x47L is sized down from 6.5x47L which for me is a plus because I can create a false shoulder and snug fit on bolt close on the first firing which in turn helps the brass to fire form more concentric. That's the theory in the benchrest world anyway and something they've been doing with 6PPC since it's inception.

Speaking of 6PPC which is believed to be the most accurate cartridge created...6x47L shares the small rifle primer pocket and smaller (drilled-not punched) .060 flash hole. Between both of these attributes along with the almost 64,000 PSI rating this brass is ridiculously strong, able to withstand many firing/reloading cycles. The brass is usually very consistent in quality as well.

As I've mentioned many times I am still using the same brass I bought 7 years ago which still holds a tight primer. I lost count how many cycles they've been through.

My current load is sending 105's at 3150 fps and in the middle of the node on the 30" barrel, this load is not a hot load in my rifle. If I so desired I could get another 100fps by using a different powder/R-17. Part of the reason is the freebore on my reamer is longer than normal. With two previous 26" barrels my load was 115 DTACS at 3000 fps, neither were hot loads.

Accuracy...I usually check my 100Y zero with 3 shots before shooting long range. With my last Schneider barrel I went for 7 months with every group touching all 3 shots, and back then would go out 2-3 times a month, this was when the barrel was fresh, it still held .5-6" for almost 2500 rounds. Best so far at 100Y is a wallet group of 5 at .174". 7 years ago back when I was using a custom single shot benchrest rifle in 6x47L I was able to put 5 shots on a MGM min popper at 1000Y, 4 of them were just over a inch. Yes it was a calm morning, the stars aligned and a good measure of grace was given but it happened.

The 6ppc is the king of shortrange accuracy. nothing else in the world can consistently group like a ppc. If one of my ppc rifles shot a .250 group then I would call it out of tune, and I would be changing something. With that said, I would lean towards the 6x47L. simply because of the brass and the small primer. I do think that the 6x47L can be a tricky chambering at times. not everyone that has one will like it. I didn't at first. Actually it took quite a bit of time to figure out how to make it shoot well consistently. Once you learn all of its little secrets, the 6x47L is amazing. If I were to build a rifle for steel plate shooting at long ranges, the 6x47L would be my only choice. If I were going to compete anyway.

Ive never had a 6mm creedmoor, but I have had a couple 6.5 creedmoor rifles. The first one was amazingly accurate. I mean amazingly!!!! The second one was no slouch, but not like the first. That of course can be said with anything. All in the luck of the barrel.
The down side I found with the creedmoor was the brass. I haven't owned one for about 4 years so maybe Hornady has improved the quality? I wouldn't know.
I guess the truth is that you will most likely enjoy either one. The creedmoor MIGHT be easier to get to shoot right out of the gate, but the Lapua once learned will give you better case life and I would think better consistency in the accuracy dept. This of course is just my take on the subject. Lee

No experience with 6mm Creedmoor but I am liking the 6x47L. If you are going to rebarrel a 308, etc. and the bolt has a large firing pin, the small primer of the 6x47 does not always go well with a large pin. Mine has been setup this way and shoots fine but I have to keep the pressures down. A replacement bolt or having the original bolt modified with a bushing and new pin solves this issue.

I shot the 6-47 and it was really good. Accurate, you could run the 105's to 3100 with no issue. I still have one 6-47 but switched to another 6 mm due to the brass cost adn the ability to run a slower powder.

6-47 Brass was $1.19 a piece. If you lose 10 to 20 at a match it adds up quickly.

If you are paying $1.19 a piece for 6.5x47 brass then you are getting raped. There are quite a few online vendors that sell it for $0.95 each, Grafs being one of them. Lapua brass is not cheap but it is quality and lasts a long time, as long as you don't lose it. :eek:

I've both of these in bolt rifles. They both shoot great with similar ballistics. My choice would be the Creed simply for the cheaper and easier to get brass. Buy correct headstamp or even snag some once fired 6.5 Creed brass and make your own.

I've both of these in bolt rifles. They both shoot great with similar ballistics. My choice would be the Creed simply for the cheaper and easier to get brass. Buy correct headstamp or even snag some once fired 6.5 Creed brass and make your own.
Which do you think is more inherently accurate?

Which do you think is more inherently accurate?

I would have to say my 6x47 is a touch more accurate and nicer to shoot. That said, my 6x47 was built as a competition gun and my 6 Creed is built for long range hunting. It's tough to pick one over the other if I was only comparing ballistics and accuracy. I don't do much shooting from a bench, so really for me brass price and availability is what makes the difference.

I have a plain trued Remington 700 in 6 creedmoor. It is on its worst day more accurate than I am. It shoots the normal 42 gr of h4350 and 105 hybrid at 3125 and no pressure signs. I went with the creedmoor simply because it was available and I lose brass. I shot in the bed of my truck on a mat the other day and still lost a piece or two. It hurts losing 20 or 30 pcs of lapua brass. If you have to have lapua brass and like the small primer, go lapua. If you lose brass go with the creedmoor. That's how I decided. As far as accuracy, they both are accurate, I think it is more of the Smith doing the work and you selecting quality components to build with.

I have ran both, giving a slight accuracy advantage to the 6x47L but they are close. I would attribute this to the small primer pockets and a slightly more efficient case design, but both are a great choice. The 6CM can be pushed a little harder, brass is substantially cheaper than the Lapua brass which makes it a great choice for the gas guns. I would personally choose the 6CM for steel shooting and tac comps, if you are just punching paper, 6x47L.

What post is that?

L

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...1416-6mm-tac-match-cartridge-comparisons.html

A very good review, I bought a XC after reading it have fallen in love...

Set a personal all time best for a 5 shot group at 1k a couple months back, 5 into 5.08” or .485 MOA... 4 went into 3"
6-12-14008.jpg

Really like this barrel/caliber.

Sorry no experience with the two your asking about.

Last edited:
Some of yall have mentioned cost of brass and losing it. I just dont see how you guys are losing so much brass. I've shot 4 PRS matches this year already and a handful of club matches and I would say I've lost less than 30pcs of brass all year long. I shoot a 6x47 and as stated, the brass isn't cheap so I make it a priority to pick it up or have someone else that has already shot in my squad scoop it up for me. This is pretty much standard practice at most matches.

Yes, the Lapua brass is more initial cost, but it last way longer than the Creed brass. I have some Lapua I've been shooting since 2009 and it's been fired thru 4 different barrels. It's been necked up and necked down over the years as I've shot both a 6 and a 6.5x47. Everybody knows the Creed pockets don't last. It's just common knowledge. Yes, there is always one or two Creed fan boys that will chime in and claim they have 20+ firings on their brass.....I guess Hornady is just making a special lot for them that nobody else is getting. The 6.5CM hit hard in the group of shooters that I typically shoot with and it died just as hard when everyone seen how the pockets don't hold up.

I've owned several of each....6.5x47, 6x47, 6.5CM, 6XC, and after all the bullshit, I chose to stick with 6x47 and I doubt I will ever deviate from it as long as I'm shooting comps.

Some of yall have mentioned cost of brass and losing it. I just dont see how you guys are losing so much brass. I've shot 4 PRS matches this year already and a handful of club matches and I would say I've lost less than 30pcs of brass all year long. I shoot a 6x47 and as stated, the brass isn't cheap so I make it a priority to pick it up or have someone else that has already shot in my squad scoop it up for me. This is pretty much standard practice at most matches.

Yes, the Lapua brass is more initial cost, but it last way longer than the Creed brass. I have some Lapua I've been shooting since 2009 and it's been fired thru 4 different barrels. It's been necked up and necked down over the years as I've shot both a 6 and a 6.5x47. Everybody knows the Creed pockets don't last. It's just common knowledge. Yes, there is always one or two Creed fan boys that will chime in and claim they have 20+ firings on their brass.....I guess Hornady is just making a special lot for them that nobody else is getting. The 6.5CM hit hard in the group of shooters that I typically shoot with and it died just as hard when everyone seen how the pockets don't hold up.

I've owned several of each....6.5x47, 6x47, 6.5CM, 6XC, and after all the bullshit, I chose to stick with 6x47 and I doubt I will ever deviate from it as long as I'm shooting comps.

Well thats good enough for me :)

This is why I love the 6 Creed, not 1k but 600yds, still a .29moa. Yeah, my primer pockets are a bit loose, but I fill em in with Tula primers, they seem to be a bit larger, seated a Rem primer and it went in pretty easy, but didn't fall out, either. I've got 6 firings on my brass.
CrSlayE.jpg

I'm on my third 6x47 barrel, I too won't be going away from the 6x47.

Losing expensive Lapua brass statement cracks me up. Spend $250 to shoot a big match, at least that again for travel expenses, bullets, cost of my rifle....... Losing a few pieces of brass is trivial, it's a cup of coffee.