• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47 Lapua

Based on QL numbers you could run RL26 depending on how much you like to compress a load.

6x47 Lapua 24 inch barrel
108 ELDM
RL16 41.0
3124 @ 65774 Max PSI ( I shot this load and saw no pressure signs and ran 3138 )
100% burn
101.5% fill

RL26 45.5
3074 @ 55935 Max PSI
99.9% Burn
102% Fill

You can push the RL26 to 105% fill and not max pressure and should break 3100 but I don't personally like to compress a load that hard. 41.0 of RL16 was a nice light crunch on my load. My load I've run the last 400 rounds is 39.3 of 16 at 3025 and can just hear powder slightly rattle, it shows 98.6% fill and 59,086 PSI for comparison.

I am currently running:

6x47L
42.0gr of RL-26
115 DTAC uncoated
0.005" off the lands
3040fps with a 6-10SD in a 26" Proof 1:8 SS barrel (approx. 600rds through it so far with no noticeable erosion)
sub 1/2MOA

I am thinking of reducing to a slower node to reduce recoil a bit so that I can work on spotting trace and impacts/misses off of non-prone prone positions. Does anyone have a slower accuracy node with this powder and projectile? I am thinking of targeting somewhere around 2900fps...

I got my new 6x47 barrel out today to run the first few rounds through it and ran a ladder test. This is my second barrel in this cartridge.

I had 4 of my guessed load left to shoot a group after ladder. I’m pretty happy with how it shoots the 115 dtac even with the flier (or maybe I shanked it) it’s a 1.44” group. Oh yeah the range was 510 yards!
2E1B8055-8591-4D64-A468-CB780CA9F623.jpeg

I got my new 6x47 barrel out today to run the first few rounds through it and ran a ladder test. This is my second barrel in this cartridge.

I had 4 of my guessed load left to shoot a group after ladder. I’m pretty happy with how it shoots the 115 dtac even with the flier (or maybe I shanked it) it’s a 1.44” group. Oh yeah the range was 510 yards! View attachment 6999219

Nice shooting man! Have you had a chance to do any more load development?

I’ve got a ladder loaded up for mine and I need to get out and shoot it this weekend. So far I’ve got about 500 rounds through my barrel fire forming and practice.

I’ve just been loading 38.1 grains of 4350 behind a 115 DTAC. Haven’t shot over a crono yet but I estimate they’re going right about 2900 based off checking dope out to 1100.

I plan to target a node below 2950 in hopes of getting a little extra barrel life.

What is everyone's thought about doing load development with newly necked-down brass, do you wait until you have fire formed the brass before getting serious into load analysis or have you found it doesn't make enough of a difference? I'm planning on testing this out and will be using the load development spreadsheet by Steve Lawrence (6.5 Guys) to try to compare virgin vs once fired brass, wondering what others have found.

What is everyone's thought about doing load development with newly necked-down brass, do you wait until you have fire formed the brass before getting serious into load analysis or have you found it doesn't make enough of a difference? I'm planning on testing this out and will be using the load development spreadsheet by Steve Lawrence (6.5 Guys) to try to compare virgin vs once fired brass, wondering what others have found.

I tracked all my original necked down brass and compared to to second firing and found almost identical speed with the same load

40.1 gr h4350
105 berger
28" 7.5tw Bart
.010 off

Ammo sat out for about 45 min with rifle, both were cold....10° real feel and was shooting .224v earlier so just set off a quick few. About -12fps avg and sd a bit higher, but pretty much on par with late summer chrony data.

Last edited:
Ladder testing with a new 6x47 barrel using varget & 105 hybrids. I'm surprised more people don't use this combo.

Attachments

• 20190327_075858.jpg
    20190327_075858.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 282
What barrel twist and reamer?

28" 7.5T bartlein. Reamer has about .003 neck clearance and .120 freebore, but I can probably get a copy of the print from my gunsmith if you wanted more details. I've run berger 108's and dtacs with this reamer. The 108's shoot great, but I think I need a bit more freebore with the dtacs. After a few firings I think I got a donut and it started giving me weird fliers. The 108's and 105's sit well above it.

How do you think you were getting a donut? I thought a donut came from a space between the front of the case mouth and the back of the bullet before it gets pushed down the barrel, if that's how it's forming then more freebore would cause a larger donut. Shorter cases (for 6x47L less than 1.840" but depends on reamer) are typically the cause of a donut forming from what I have researched.

Third post on this thread highlights what I'm talking about:

How do you think you were getting a donut? I thought a donut came from a space between the front of the case mouth and the back of the bullet before it gets pushed down the barrel, if that's how it's forming then more freebore would cause a larger donut. Shorter cases (for 6x47L less than 1.840" but depends on reamer) are typically the cause of a donut forming from what I have researched.

Third post on this thread highlights what I'm talking about:

Freebore is referring more or less to the distance to the lands, not distance from case mouth to the end of the neck of the chamber. I dont know that it's a donut but it had symptoms of it. The shank of the bullets sat below the shoulder / neck junction, and I was getting weird fliers every once in a while. That went away when I switched to 108s/105s which are seated forward of this.

What size bushing or if using FL sizer, neck diameter, are you using?

Got my barrel form PVA last week and worked up a load.
Ran about 120 thru it before it stabilized.
Necked down some 6.5x47L brass with a Forster FL custom honed (.268) sizer
Was a little tight, so I used a mandrel I have to get to .001-.002 neck tension
Load is for what works in my application,
Rock Creek 26 inch .236 bore 7.5 tw
40.2g RL16 Sierra 107 smk's at .02 off CCI450's @ 3072 fps
Loaded 3 on either side of the 40.2 to see if this was centered in the node, looks good
Now have to take out to distance and see if it needs some fine tuning.

EidCiwaBSRqD+LWck+%L1g.jpg

Reactions: bohem
I built one with a Remington 700 action I had. I trued the action up and chambered a 28" Brux 7.83 twist heavy varmint barrel up for it.
I used a Manson reamer with a .272 neck diameter and .105 freebore. Shot these groups @500 yards to verify some load data. I built this rifle to do some long range prairie dog work. So far it has been a hammer.

Berger 105 load test @ 500 yards.jpgBerger 105 @ 500 yards.jpg

Took my load out to 300 yds. Shot 6 groups, all under .6 moa
These are the 2 best. One was .407 CTC .136 MOA
This is shooting better than my 6br.

NczW4OiXSbmxsTC7Y0yV4Q.jpgxt+KcKmSSJeahm1WwJfuoQ.jpg

The 6X47 has a bit of a rep for being fussy to develop loads for, this thread is an example of that.

Don't be afraid to test large primer brass against your small primer brass. You might be surprised to find you get even more consistent velocity., with simplified load development.. I did.

Without getting fancy, (at least for a preliminary test) you can simply run 22-250 brass through your 6x47 die, then shoot a light forming load to blow the side wall back out. Then you can test with full loads. My first testing on this was actually done about 10 years ago using 22-250 brass I picked out of the brass bucket at the rifle range, and those 10 22-250 cases reformed into 6x47L cases ran better than my best small primer 6X47L load.

In the end, I formed my 6X47L from 6XC brass to get large primers. They worked so much better and so much more consistent. Just a small shoulder bump to make the difference, then trim the long neck back.

A buddy is using 243 brass for this. He has a 243 die that was cut short to push the shoulder back using the original shoulder angle, then he runs them through his 6x47L die. It's just a way to source brass at a lower piece price with common availability.

I would never go back to small primers for 6x47L.

Last edited:
Reactions: rothgyr
The 'finicky' rep comes from people torching the throat by pushing projectiles to retarded speeds like the extra 200fps is going to get them the win

The 'finicky' rep comes from people torching the throat by pushing projectiles to retarded speeds like the extra 200fps is going to get them the win

Not really... It comes from trying to find the magic formula to consistently ignite 38 grains of powder with a small primer.

Yes guys are doing it, but only if you can get the stars to align just right.

It's just a whole lot easier with large primers.

I'm on about barrel number four or five now, lost count, with two different projectiles, at three different velocities and single digits SDs the entire time.

It's people pushing 40grs of powder to 3200fps that say it's 'finicky'

Same as guys lobbing 105s with 6 Creedmoor at 3200 and it's shot out in 1100 rounds.

All that chasing the lands shit is directly related to heat and pressure eroding the throat. If you try it with more realistic velocities it's not nearly as "picky" a caliber as people want to make it out to be.

I've got a Chrono photo somewhere with 3fps for the SD. Maybe part of that's primer choice, maybe that's why magnum primers are popular for this caliber, who knows.

To say it's not doable without a large primer isn't true.

Found it.

20190619_145335.jpg

Here's another 1100 rounds later, a whopping 24fps slower and a shitty 5fps SD

20190910_160803.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS
To say it's not doable without a large primer isn't true.

Found it.

Not saying "not doable".... I'm saying it's "just easier" with LRPs and more consistent over a wide temperature range, winter through summer.

While your chronograph results shown are good... mine were better.... But I don't want to turn this into a my dad is stronger than your dad kind of thing. I'm just saying that both can work, but guys should not focus on SRPs because the 6x47 comes that way without consideration of the option to run LRPs, which may simplify load development.

I've struggled to see a distinct advantage to SRPs as most justify it for extended brass life with high pressures, which does not hold water to me. If you want more speed, run some other case with a larger case volume... Like 6XC.

Some say SRPs get better accuracy... that again does not hold water.... If better accuracy is through lower ES that doesn't work either because I got lower ES with LRPs.

Seems to me the SRPs are for a guy who just wants to tinker with load development like solving a rubix cube.

Last edited:
ES was 9, my experience doesn't mirror yours. The ES came down as a result of a better scale, not a primer change.

My load for the 105 hybrids is 38.5g of 4451. It's been rock solid, was retardedly easy to fine tune. The kids 6x47 runs the same load very well. At least mine were like 308 easy to get rolling. Like someone else said it's the guys that are punishing brass to get the last bit of FPS out of the round that have challenges.

Okay... Let me ask you this....

When is the last time you came upon a load development thread for the 6XC?

There aint a nickels bit of difference between the 6x47L and the 6XC but you'll look high and low to find someone looking to solve their 6XC load development problem.

Last edited:
Oh boy.

These threads are to save time by documenting loads, they don't exist to address problems.

Here's the 6xc Thread.

It's got over 100 posts, which by your logic means people are having more trouble with it than 6x47L, this thread has 82.

We get it, you aren't a fan of the cartridge, but that's not really what the depot is for.

6x47L - I didn't experience the finicky thing in 4 barrels that I burned out ""(when things were working right)"" and two with short round counts that were sold with rifles. I found out that I had a broken titanium firing pin once and another time a barrel had worked it's way loose because some jackass hack of GS used epoxy to take up the space on the recoil lug from a poor chamber job. Those things caused some hassles but otherwise 6x47L rocks!

BTW I'm on 38-ish cycles on my 12 year old brass and it is still GTG and holding a primer tight!

I did have a barrel that wasn't the best, some barrels are just dud's, it'd only do .6" groups at best. I think that's one reason why people have problems, or the rifle wasn't chambered well, or maybe poor ignition due to a weak firing pin spring.

Typical SD's were 6-7 fps.

I always used CCI450's and loaded warm loads which do provide good load density, thus good ignition. Long barrels and long freebores make this round a screamer. 105 hybrids at 3178 fps for my last 28" barrel and it was accurate!

I've read of brass issues with 6XC and there's this also http://6mmar.com/6XC_II.php

Has anyone tried RL16 on the lower OBT node with 105 hybrids? Looks like around 2880-2890 FPS @ 42k psi (28”) and 45k psi (26”). Barrel life excel calc estimates almost 3000 rounds @ 42k psi, and Quickloads calculated peak recoil is a good bit less than standard dasher loads.

Has anyone done an 18 or 20 inch 6x47? I’m thinking of doing one for a short predator rifle with a goal of 2800-2850 with a 115 dtac I’ve never had any problem getting 3000+ with a 24 inch and loading on mild side. Could always go 105’s too just like how the dtac has performed on game in the past.

Shot 25 rounds at the lower OBT node with RL16, 2880 FPS. Groups down range were impressive, 1/2 moa or better from 400-1000. But, I had two rounds act really funny. One at 1050 FPS and one at 2350 FPS. The 1050 FPS round definitely was subsonic, and the 2350 FPS round felt weird and the trace dropped way low and didn’t make it to the target. Would running at 42k psi be an issue, or more likely something with the primers or maybe something getting in the flash holes?

Attachments

• 2244AA56-00E7-4BD1-9F39-81E105C8D2C1.jpeg
    2244AA56-00E7-4BD1-9F39-81E105C8D2C1.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 158
Shot 25 rounds at the lower OBT node with RL16, 2880 FPS. Groups down range were impressive, 1/2 moa or better from 400-1000. But, I had two rounds act really funny. One at 1050 FPS and one at 2350 FPS. The 1050 FPS round definitely was subsonic, and the 2350 FPS round felt weird and the trace dropped way low and didn’t make it to the target. Would running at 42k psi be an issue, or more likely something with the primers or maybe something getting in the flash holes?

This is exactly what I eliminated by forming my brass with large primers. It's getting cold this time of year and summer time loads start acting goofy. I believe this is inadequate ignition. Just try making 10 cases from 6XC large primer brass and I'll bet your problem goes away.

Don't want that, aye?!

I'm assuming you are using CCI450 or REM 7.5, right??

I wonder how H4895 would do for reduced loads?

I never could resist pushing velocity in my 6x47's and suffered less barrel life because of it.

Well I went to 6mmBR to achieve "hopefully" 3000 rounds barrel life and it's one super accurate cartridge! Heck my ES now is what my SD was with 6x47L.

Don't want that, aye?!

I'm assuming you are using CCI450 or REM 7.5, right??

I wonder how H4895 would do for reduced loads?

I never could resist pushing velocity in my 6x47's and suffered less barrel life because of it.

Well I went to 6mmBR to achieve "hopefully" 3000 rounds barrel life and it's one super accurate cartridge! Heck my ES now is what my SD was with 6x47L.

Yea it was with 450s and 35.3 RL16. Quickload shows load density at 90% and 42-43k psi. The crazy thing was my 400 yard group was 1.5” and 4 of 5 at 800 were around 2”, fifth was just a tiny bit low making it around 4”. 1000 yard was maybe 5” but the wind was moving a bit more by then. Solid groups even by my Dashers standards.

I’ll give it another shot and try a different lot of primers.

Reactions: steve123
Shot 35 rounds today at 2880-2890 with RL16 and zero issues. Recoil is less than my dasher @ 2940 and as accurate. It also generates very little barrel heat. 20 round string barely made the barrel warm!

Shot 35 rounds today at 2880-2890 with RL16 and zero issues. Recoil is less than my dasher @ 2940 and as accurate. It also generates very little barrel heat. 20 round string barely made the barrel warm!
What was your charge weight and how far off the lands?

Waiting on my 28” barrel to come in.

Right now it’s sounding like RL16 and 105/109 Hybrids are the way to go.

Waiting on my 28” barrel to come in.

Right now it’s sounding like RL16 and 105/109 Hybrids are the way to go.

Varget is also excellent for accuracy but probably the hardest on barrels. And yea, the hybrids are easy to tune and super consistent at distance.

Seems like Varget is getting scarce might be better to start with RL 16 or 4350 first. I was thinking about trying some Shooters World Precision supposed to be very similar to Varget.

I have a ton of Varget that I use for my BRs and .308, and while I can appreciate that it probably works well for 6x47, that’s not really what I’m after with this round.

I went longer barrel specifically so that I could use RL16 or another “slower” powder. Possibly get to 2k plus rounds without sacrificing a ton of speed to get it.

I have a ton of Varget that I use for my BRs and .308, and while I can appreciate that it probably works well for 6x47, that’s not really what I’m after with this round.

I went longer barrel specifically so that I could use RL16 or another “slower” powder. Possibly get to 2k plus rounds without sacrificing a ton of speed to get it.

I think it’s doable for sure. I’ve used 28” on my last three 47 barrels as well, and RL16 definitely will get you a ton of speed vs pressure.

@lte82
I'm not trying to be difficult, just wonder why you have a 6x47 and push it slow.
Then have a Dasher pushing the same BC bullet faster and getting better drop and drift
then the 6x47 and you say just as accurate.
I push mine fast to achieve less drop and drift and @steve123 really pushes his fast
and both get really good accuracy.
Just trying something new?

How much wind drift am I losing between 2880 vs 3040 FPS? 10 mph full value at 1000 yards is only .15 mil difference. At 600 yards the difference is not even a tenth.

As far as advantages goes, the 2880 FPS load has less recoil which means less time cleaning up sight picture between shots and an improvement in spotting shots. Also less barrel wear and tear by running a mild load and cooler powder results in more consistency from match to match as barrel erosion is much slower.

Reactions: millertime2
I can also attest as it’s the same reason I went from a Dasher to 6x47.

3k fps with a 105 is not even breathing heavy from a 6x47 but it’s screaming from a Dasher. So there is noticeably less felt recoil because it’s lower pressure, not to mention the advantages you get in terms of barrel life, case life, and consistency.