• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6x47L accuracy???

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
My good friend and great gunsmith Jon Beanland is going to build me a 6x47L We are going to use a Krieger 7.5 twist hv palma stainless barrel. The action will be a stiller predator. I have a benchrest stock, but this rifle is going to pull double duty, hopefully. Anyway Jon has had excellent luck with his and shoots it all the time. He is a great smith and his work is really outstanding, so i am not worried about this rifle shooting well. What i dont understand is all this hoopla about how finicky this chambering can be. I have read more than once that it can take quite a while before you will find a good combo of bullets and powder. I am going to shoot 105 Berger and maybe some 115 bergers. I havent asked Jon yet what powder he shoots but i will start with what ever he is shooting. Has anyone here had any trouble finding a good load for this 6x47L chambering? I thought it was one of those elite cartridges. No matter, I am pretty excited about the hole project. Thanks guys lee

Re: 6x47L accuracy???

Nope, plenty of guys make them shoot well, I had no issues.

H4350 or R17 will get you there with the 115's.

Lee, I'm shooting 40.7 gr. of 4350 @ 3100 fps. with the 105's. Most people are running between 39 gr. and 40.8 of h4350. I would start at the bottom end and work up. When i shot the 115's i used about 1 to 1/2 grain less powder (h4350). I really have not tried any other powders much besides RL 17. All of them that i have built and my buddies rifles shoot the 4350 so well with very low extreme spreads, ( why switch). It is possible to push the 105's over 3200 fps. with RL 17. I just did not feel it shot quite as well or that the extreme spreads were as low. Also with the 4350 it does not really matter if it's 50 degrees outside or 105, the velocity and pressure stay's pretty consistent from day to day. That is very important to me.

Yea, I've been wanting to try those too. The 123's sure shoot good in my 6.5x47.

I have tried just about everything through 3 6-6.5x47 barrels. Finicky...that is a laugh, mine shoot everything. 115s with vv560 is my favorite load using win small rifle primers with the bullets jammed .020+

If you are not turning necks go ahead and buy a 268 and a 269 neck bushing, depending on the lot of brass you end up with neck tension may give you some accuracy problems. Other than that quirk I have found the 6x47 very forgiving. I made a couple 1/2 thousanth bushings out of stainless just to play around and did not see any dramatic improvements. So I would not say that it is even very finicky about that, but it has a definite range of preferred neck tension.

I would also invest in a shoulder bump back die and neck size only using a wilson straight line die. Watch using redding s-type dies, they work perfect, but if you try and bump shoulders with them in this case you can create a sort of a donut at the neck/shoulder junction causing some neck tension problems.

I am not real sure wee i read that the 6x47L is finicky, but the article was stating that the 6x47L was just beyond the point of case size vs burn rate vs efficiency. I am sure i am not saying this correctly, but they were comparing the 6x47L to the 6BR or 6BR imp. basically that the case was just outside the super accurate case size?? I read so much stuff i forget more than i retain, and plus being fairly new i dont always know what BS and what is worth reading. Like i said, I am sure i am not explaining what i read very well above, but the hole idea was stating that the 6x47L was just a tad bit to big for optimal burn rate vs case size? Jon is a super gunsmith, so i have no worries. I guess i thought the article was a bit strange as i have always heard good things about the 6x47L. Lee

They are not any more finicky that anything else.I've had the opposite experience,very forgiving.

I have two loads.

115 DTACS,39.5gr-VIT N160 gets 3070 fps out of my bench rifle with 8 twist 29inch Krieger.

115 Berger's,38.8gr R-17 gets 3120 fps out of 28 inch 7 twist Broughten.

Tips,

Have a custom full length die made with 1.5 thou neck tension.

Have the barrel throated so the bullet is out of the neck shoulder junction.

When you size the 6.5x47 brass down for the first firing create a false shoulder with a snug bolt feel.This makes it fireform strait.

Good luck with your build.

Steve