• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6X5 Thread V5.0 *new 1/1/21*

Another entry. Vudoo Apparition, 18" Ace barrel, Vortex 5X25 scope, bipod, rabbit ear rear bag, 50 yards, SK Pistol Match, 36 degrees. Average .312", best group .208". Look at that very last shot. :(
Was the flyer you or the ammo?

Was the flyer you or the ammo?
I think it was me. I've been a pistol shooter all my life and I'm just learning how to shoot from a bench with a rifle. Trigger control is extremely important as well as how I hold the rifle. I'm a work in progress. ;)

I think it was me. I've been a pistol shooter all my life and I'm just learning how to shoot from a bench with a rifle. Trigger control is extremely important as well as how I hold the rifle. I'm a work in progress. ;)

Aren't we all but you are well down the road. Is your goal 0.1" or better groups?

My question was based on discussion about flyers due to ammunition. Would seem hard to separate marksmanship and ammunition as being the cause.

Anyway, Many thanks. Rick

[QUOTE="rick137, post: 7336418, member: 106930" Is your goal 0.1" or better groups?[/QUOTE]
My goal is having fun shooting. 0.1" groups would be more fun than larger ones. ;) There are several long range 22 matches locally where we shoot varying sizes and shapes of steel targets from 25 yards out to 250 yards or so. My goal is to do well at these matches. I'm finding that only accurate rifles are interesting.

[QUOTE="rick137, post: 7336418, member: 106930" Is your goal 0.1" or better groups?
My goal is having fun shooting. 0.1" groups would be more fun than larger ones. ;) There are several long range 22 matches locally where we shoot varying sizes and shapes of steel targets from 25 yards out to 250 yards or so. My goal is to do well at these matches. I'm finding that only accurate rifles are interesting.[/QUOTE]

Eh, it is all the game you want to play. Didn't some guru coin the phrase "only accurate rifles are interesting"? For my game only accurate targets from positional shooting are interesting. I just hope I am not considered a heretic and burned at the stake for using a Vudoo to do positional shooting.

For some better ammo in route. Will shoot this as soon as it gets here. I can do this qhlie testing g the 4 different ammos that I ordered

Quick trip to the range after reworking the bedding on the Anschutz. It has not been bedded since I built it and the barrel has been slightly off center in the barrel channel. I made some pillars, opened up the action inlet on the right rear of the tang where it was making slight contact. Centered everything up & installed the pillars then bedded it. I wanted to check the accuracy to make sure I didn’t mess anything up. I also was testing a new scope, Leupold MK5 3-18 CCH (I like it...)

Any way I think it is ok. I shot a few groups to zero and check the bedding all were about like these (low 0.2XX” - mid 0.1XX”) then I threw down a 6X5.

It was a warm day today with the air temp about 35f and light gusting winds from 0-3 mph maybe up to 5 mph (you can see where I got caught snoozing by the wind on a few shots, wish I had those back... ha).

50 yards prone in the snow with a TAB rear bag & Harris, you know what the rifle looks like by now.
04C8D385-88BD-4A5B-9D7A-0F7B0543304A.jpeg

I think you need to toss that gun...look at the last group....

Did you pull it or was it the wind?

Great gun and great shooting.

Not making excuses but the 4th and 6th group has 1 round far out to the right, both wind. I am not really sure about the shot in the 6th group that is slightly right of POI, I don't remember that specific round or even if I saw it open the group up. But the 2 rounds in the targets that are noticeably right are both wind. After the shot broke and I saw the impact I could see the mirage from the sun shinning on the snow on the berm running left to right, definitely the wind.

I do know the wind totally dropped for the 5th group. Also target #2 and #4 had a little head wind during the string accounting for the slight vertical.

But honestly it was 35f, I was laying on a thin mat in the snow, and my fingers were getting cold. I was rushing the shots some. Looking forward to warm weather, only 5 - 5 1/2 more months to go! :cautious:

One day I might break down and get some wind flags so I can see what my rifles can actually do, but I honestly don't see myself doing it... HA

JBell, that Anshutz is crazy good.
It was chilly, but warmer than lately!
Started a 6x5 @50 top row and next couple, then adjusted zero and drilled the dots... Definitely pulled a few, also rushing in the cold.
Last shot of the day was right on top of another .22 hole--right to the right of the orange dot, I had fun there, never stacked a shot before!
Also shot my tightest 10 round group ever, on the top left, down one, on the green target. The other big groups were standing and kneeling barricade work, humiliating fun...

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181124_153350.jpg
    MVIMG_20181124_153350.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 192
  • MVIMG_20181124_153403.jpg
    MVIMG_20181124_153403.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 200
JBell, that Anshutz is crazy good.
It was chilly, but warmer than lately!
Started a 6x5 @50 top row and next couple, then adjusted zero and drilled the dots... Definitely pulled a few, also rushing in the cold.
Last shot of the day was right on top of another .22 hole--right to the right of the orange dot, I had fun there, never stacked a shot before!
Also shot my tightest 10 round group ever, on the top left, down one, on the green target. The other big groups were standing and kneeling barricade work, humiliating fun...

No kidding it has been cold! I went to Rangeley on Thanksgiving day and it was 0f going over Height of Land. Just too cold for this time of year! But today almost felt warm...

Nice shooting, was that with your V22? Get me some group sizes and Ill update the results for ya. We should try and meet up and shoot some sometime.

Yup, V22 and SK rifle match. Would enjoy meeting sometime! Can do SF&GA on some weekends, unless I promised my time to family, and Santa's gotta get busy! I'll try to shoot a real 6x5 next time I sneak out.

Hey guys welcome back to the "NEW OLD HIDE", its good to be home!

So getting back to business I am starting the 6X5 thread over from scratch. Same rules:

Rules are pretty simple. There must be exactly six groups of 5 shots, all on one target board. No more, no less. No foulers on this board, every shot on the board must count. The groups need to be shot consecutively, this is not a thread for someone to post up their collection of best six groups, but their best group of six groups. Entries must be shot on or after 10/19/14. For now, lets keep this a bipod/rear bag or shooting off a ruck challenge, no mechanical rests. If enough people feel I should change that up, please let me know and I'll reconsider. (I would like to keep this as close to prone shooting as we can, so if you are able then please shoot prone. However if you cant for health reasons or other plausible reasons then go to a bench and enter your target with pride. But if you just want to squeeze that last few thousanths out of your group come on, man up and go prone!)

Each entry should have a picture of the target board, with the group measurements written on it. Include a pic of your rifle as well, as well as info on your setup, and how it was shot, weather conditions, etc. Only the best entry per person/rifle combo will be kept on the board, but enter as many times as you like, and I'll count multiple entries from multiple rifles. Same goes with best group at every distance.

This time I am doing a seperate post for the 50, 100, and 200+ yard line entry just to keep it easier to read. I am going on the same old format and making a running tally not just the top 10 or whatever. You will also see that I have a post for cold bore groups. Lets keep it as honest as possable as cold bore means FIRST ROUND FIRED THAT DAY preoid, end of story. So a cold bore plus 4. I will do any yard line you want for the cold bore so 50, 100, 200+. If you would note the distance from center for the cold bore shot if it is easy to measure (if you throw down a CB +4 that measures in the 0.1XX" then who the hell cares about the deviation at that point it is all shooter and conditions).

**Let me know if you are shooting in air temps under 40f. I will note it on the results as there is always the big question how do rimfires shoot in the cold.**

By ruck do you mean rucksack? Not to make work but it would be interesting to know the support-Bench or ground, front support bipod or ruck, rear support bag or shoulder.

By ruck do you mean rucksack? Not to make work but it would be interesting to know the support-Bench or ground, front support bipod or ruck, rear support bag or shoulder.

Yes, originally when Bob (BM11) and myself created this thread we wanted to keep it more of "tactical" (I hate that word) or field style shooting. But as it grew we realized that there are some people who just physically cant get down on the ground to shoot off a bipod. So it is now open to whatever, besides we are all here trying to see what is possible with the little 22lr.

I agree it would be interesting to see the difference a style of rest makes. But it would only be an accurate test if the same shooter shooting the same rifle and ammo in the same conditions used the different rest. That would be pretty hard to accumulate much data because not many of us have the access to different style of rest.

Reactions: Alabusa
Yes, originally when Bob (BM11) and myself created this thread we wanted to keep it more of "tactical" (I hate that word) or field style shooting. But as it grew we realized that there are some people who just physically cant get down on the ground to shoot off a bipod. So it is now open to whatever, besides we are all here trying to see what is possible with the little 22lr.

I agree it would be interesting to see the difference a style of rest makes. But it would only be an accurate test if the same shooter shooting the same rifle and ammo in the same conditions used the different rest. That would be pretty hard to accumulate much data because not many of us have the access to different style of rest.

Agreed the group size is the most important. The one number that tells all. Just wonder if bench-bipod-bag is the most stable and ground-ruck-shoulder the least given the infamous phrase all else being equal. Next spring I will try the various combinations including a competition bench rest. Lived too long in AZ and CA to enjoy shooting if temperature less than 45F. Another variable is the shooter may have better marksmanship with one type of support than another.

I do both prone off bi-pod and bench of two pt rest and I usually do a little better off of bench as long as the bench is dead solid. My old biopod always seems to have just a little movement in it where my bench is a solid rock rest. The difference is small. I have a portable bench that is no where, no way as steady as prone. So it is very hard to compare due to all of those variables.

Vudoo Apparition, Bipod, rear bag, SK Rifle match, portable bench on the back porch. 50 yards. This was shot after dark with solar yard lights shining on the target. I have a lighted reticle on my Vortex 5x25 scope. This was shot with a just cleaned dry cold bore. The first 5 shots are the top left target. I had shot a long range match yesterday and I had a bunch of wind dialed in. The rest of the targets are after I brought the windage back to zero. Average: .257". Best group: .144". I really like my Vudoo. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 197
Nice job, I think your target says the air temp was 25f? That is getting close to when accuracy really falls off. By the way I think this is the first 6X5 shot in the dark, pretty cool!

Yes, 25 degrees. A buddy turned me on to the fact that the wind dies down after dark. ;)

Shot my best 6x5 to date. All conditions came together finally. Bern shooting every dY but nothing worth posting.View attachment 6986028

Alabusa: You may want to re-measure the smallest group. Most groups that are in the zero's center to center are going to look like one oblong hole. Yours is a very good group and it is impossible for anybody to measure from a photo but it still appears to be at nearly two bullet diameters wide since there are two holes barely touching. Keep in mind that most tgt paper leaves holes that are less than a full bullet diameter wide. If you take a set of calipers and measure first edge to edge and then center to center you can usually see a difference due to that fact. Just looking at the 0.098" group beside of the 0.309" group to the left of it. The smaller group appears to be about 2/3rd size of the larger one. Maybe I am not looking at it right. But it never hurts to double check. Take a close look at the 0.075" group posted by JBell in November and compare both pics. You will want to measure c-c at the widest point or measure a single bullet hole edge to edge measuring the far edges of the black ring on the paper to get your hole diameter and then measure the group edge to edge at the widest spot and then subtract the single hole diameter to get an approximation of the c-c group size.

Another item is to try using better quality tgt paper instead of copy paper. It costs more but is not expensive if you buy in bulk. The tgt paper cuts cleaner, larger holes making it easier to measure the groups accurately. I practice a lot on copy paper and it tends to cut more ragged holes with radial tears making them harder to measure. I bought a 100 pack of BR50 tgts from them over 4 years ago and am still using them. I think they cost about $25 for the whole pack including shipping. So it was a quarter per tgt. Put it in perspective, one round of Lapua Center-X ammo is going to cost more than the tgt.

It is no big deal. We just do it for fun anyway right? Clearly your groups are getting better and that means you are doing something right. Keep it up.

Alabusa: You may want to re-measure the smallest group. Most groups that are in the zero's center to center are going to look like one oblong hole. Yours is a very good group and it is impossible for anybody to measure from a photo but it still appears to be at nearly two bullet diameters wide since there are two holes barely touching. Keep in mind that most tgt paper leaves holes that are less than a full bullet diameter wide. If you take a set of calipers and measure first edge to edge and then center to center you can usually see a difference due to that fact. Just looking at the 0.098" group beside of the 0.309" group to the left of it. The smaller group appears to be about 2/3rd size of the larger one. Maybe I am not looking at it right. But it never hurts to double check. Take a close look at the 0.075" group posted by JBell in November and compare both pics. You will want to measure c-c at the widest point or measure a single bullet hole edge to edge measuring the far edges of the black ring on the paper to get your hole diameter and then measure the group edge to edge at the widest spot and then subtract the single hole diameter to get an approximation of the c-c group size.

Another item is to try using better quality tgt paper instead of copy paper. It costs more but is not expensive if you buy in bulk. The tgt paper cuts cleaner, larger holes making it easier to measure the groups accurately. I practice a lot on copy paper and it tends to cut more ragged holes with radial tears making them harder to measure. I bought a 100 pack of BR50 tgts from them over 4 years ago and am still using them. I think they cost about $25 for the whole pack including shipping. So it was a quarter per tgt. Put it in perspective, one round of Lapua Center-X ammo is going to cost more than the tgt.

It is no big deal. We just do it for fun anyway right? Clearly your groups are getting better and that means you are doing something right. Keep it up.

I just deleted that entry. Not going to keep a disputed target.

100 yard entry. Nothing much, just wanted to try. I was shooting from a Caldwell Un-Stable Table. :( If I held real still, it didn't move too much.

Vudoo Apparition, Vortex 5-25, Atlas bipod, rabbit ear rear bag, SK Biathlon Sport. Ave: 1.664", best group: .851". 50 degrees with some changing wind.

Attachments

• IMG_2486.jpg
    IMG_2486.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_2489.jpg
    IMG_2489.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 158
Let's try this one. @jbell I shot 7 because the one marked, a bullet hit the leg and ripped up the target. You don't have to count it if you don't want to. Hopefully I measured it right.
20181215_121314.jpg

A, you ain't done.
You only proved you have what it takes to produce sub-moa at 50 yards.
Now the fun begins. Sub-moa at 100 and 200 yards.
What? You thought I'd let you stop now? ;)

Reactions: Alabusa and jbell
Ucbx6FP.jpg

Here's todays 50 yd. target.....I want that one damn flyer back!!!
Details: CZ 455 Varmint in a KRG Bravo lots of DIP parts and Vortex Viper PST II 3-15X on top. Still shooting the factory barrel although it has been cut to 18" and threaded. Ammo was Eley Force...last of the lot I used for peewee PRS this year:(

4QLBEM6.jpg

Here's todays 100 yd target.
Same gun, same ammo 10 minutes later;)

I don't know that I can expect to get much more out of this factory barrel. I might go to a timney trigger for next season but this is probably as good as it gets for this tube.
I've run tenex through it and at 50yds. its a little better but from about 175 out the Force does better so that's what it gets fed.
Maybe is we get another good day I'll run a 6x5 with tenex for kicks

Not sure if this counts or if the image will even attach but let’s see. I recently built a 50 yard target range out at my farm and have gotten back into 22 from centerfire. Also traded for an APA Sako Quad Trainer about two month ago. Seems like a pretty solid rifle but no idea how it compares to the Voodoos and high end Annies. Been shooting some CCI SV and Wolf Match and even some Eley Edge with mixed results. Some good groups and then some all over the place.

Bit the bullet and bought some Tenex and Tenex Pistol and Eley Club recently and got to try it out today. Club did pretty good but seemed like one in every five didn’t go where I pointed it. Then switched over to Tenex. And results are the best I’ve done so far in my small sample size.

Shot off a folding shooting table on dirt with Sinclair rest and bunny ear bag. Gusting 7-12 cross wind. Weakest link in the system is me followed by the table. Have to almost load the legs like a bipod if that makes any sense. I think with a better table I could do a little better but leads to the next questions. Where are gains to be made? More ammo testing, less wind, tweaking the rifle, cleaning the rifle? Will listen to all input and continue to follow this thread as I have found much useful information here.

Welcome to the rabbit hole, it’s not a bad place to be. Jered builds a great rifle, and the Quad is a good platform.

Your targets look pretty solid especially for the wind. What order were the targets shot? The only thing I really want to stick to as far as “rules” with this thread is shoot at the actual range (no cheating) & the targets be shot consecutive so no cherrypicking good groups or culling bad ones. Post as often as you like. Oh and get us a picture of your rifle (because I love looking at guns).

Yes if the rifle is used a good bore cleaning and checking that all the screws are tight (especially the barrel on the Quad). Then start testing ammo.

Let me know what 6 consecutive targets you want to use and I’ll get you on the results.

What weight paper are the BR50 targets? I have been using 70 lb paper and even with that, I don't get clean holes.

I am not sure what weight paper they use. Plus, it is really a USBR target that I am using most of the time. Some call it the "Green Monster" because it is so hard to shoot a perfect score with it, or cause it is green? It has a 0.10" diameter 10-ring and is printed on a heavy off-white paper with a high rag content which seems to aid the bullets in cutting clean holes. 9 ring = 0.300", 8 ring = 0.550", etc. I bought a large package of them about 4 years ago for $25 and am still using them. I looked on line and they are higher now but still economical. Another benefit is the tiny bull has a dot in the center for very precise aiming if your scope is clear enough to see it. I attached a pic of one of them with a few holes in it for reference. I think I got mine thru BR Central forum but you can also find them on Amazon, or Ebay or the American Target Company. Even with those good tgts you will not always get clean holes. The shots in the pic had a few with radial tears. They were with Lapua ammo and that bullet is more of a traditional shape and does not cut as cleanly as Eley does. The Eley bullet is more of a semi-wadcutter and does better on paper. But, it costs more than Lapua and my rifles seem to shoot the Lapua just as well as the more pricey Eley stuff.

Irish

Attachments

• 6x5 5.1.15c.jpg
    6x5 5.1.15c.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 155
65 lb card stock produces the best results for clean holes when I print my own.
Tearing will still occur if the target is not firmly in contact with a clean backer.
Any ripples or gaps between the target and backer usually result in an irregular edge.
Seriously shot up backer will also result in irregular hole outlines.
It's why I always use a clean section of cardboard to attach to the frames at the local range.

Reactions: Just Chuck
I have been using a foam core backer. It is light and more durable than cardboard and lasts for about 2yrs before needing to be replaced. The staples hold better but still come out when necessary to remove a tgt. Sometimes I will admit to using left over political candidate yard signs too. The plastic corrugated board is durable and the price is right. Plus you get to shoot holes into the candidates platform if you do not agree with them, lol. The little wire frames are not as stable as a good tgt stand and will move in the wind but again the price is right.

Reactions: Seymour Fish