• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

6XC Loads

Can we revive this one? I just got my XC, headed out today. In the name of barrel break in and fire forming, I loaded some 112 Match Burners, 105 Hybrids, and 108 ELD-M’s, all at 38.5 H4350. Figured I’d see if anything jumps out at me. It looks like guys are ending up in the 39.4-39.8 of H4350 with the 105 Hybrids. Anyone have any on-game experience with any of these bullets? Also kicking around the Barnes LRX for my wife to shoot antelope with.

IMO it's a waste of time to do load development before putting some rounds down the barrel. Finding a load that the barrel likes at round #50, then hoping/assuming it will speed up AND still be in tune seems a bit backwards. Shoot 100 mild practice loads, if the barrel speeds up it "should" be done, then start your load workup.

Also, there's no need to do 0.2gr increments for a ~40gr load. 0.3 or 0.4gr will be fine to accomplish the OCW, you'll waste less time and components, and you'll be able to fine tune in the next step.

Any pressure signs? I like to load beyond what I think max pressure will be, since you never know with that barrel/powder/bullet what the max will be. It's easier to stop when you see pressure and pull the rest of the bullets when you get home than it is to wonder if you could've pushed it further and you have lower than expected velocity...then make another range trip for mini-OCW #2. Ask me how I know LOL
What's your COAL with 115dtacs, norma brass?,

Anyone have any input on the 110 SMK seating depth in a 6XC? I was trying some of the new Peterson LRP 6XC brass, and shot 10 rounds.

First sting was strung vertically terribly, and the second was in the .3's. To be fair to the first group was after 3 foulers on a very clean bore. I think I was around .020" with the 10 I shot, but I have got busy and not been back to mess with them anymore.

Figured your all's input may save me from running back and forth a few times.

One thing I noticed with the 110's was around 3k fps there was absolutely no signs of pressure. Slight BC ding over the 115's, but easier on brass and a bump in velocity with similar powder charges.

Holy thread revival batman.
i am getting a barrel spun up in 6xc. Brass on the way and ordered some 105 vld’s cause well thats all thats out there right in stock. Gonna use peterson lrp brass and h4350 cause thats what i have. I do have some varget as well. Any real world data running the vld’s

Holy thread revival batman.
i am getting a barrel spun up in 6xc. Brass on the way and ordered some 105 vld’s cause well thats all thats out there right in stock. Gonna use peterson lrp brass and h4350 cause thats what i have. I do have some varget as well. Any real world data running the vld’s
Working on a 105 Hybrid load, using H4350 in Alpha brass. Initial seating depth looks good at .090 off. 38.5 gr of powder. Loading up for velocity test now. Plan on running the slow mode which ever it is.

Figuring i will start in that area probably a little lower then look for a node and seating depth.

38.5gr is what I run with 115's and they're right @ 2800 out of my 26". I've ran them at a higher node which was 2920 but it is way easier to watch trace and see impacts at 2800

Has anyone tried Winchester STABALL powder in 6XC? Specifically with 115 DTACs (uncoated)? Thanks

@Lightning8
The ammo that I got from Peterson Cartridge Company this year used a ball powder....looked a lot like my keg of StaBall.
I took the brass (small rifle primer) and worked up loads for 112gr Barnes and 115 DTAC's. This current barrel does not like this current lot of DTAC's at any speed.
But I'm running the 112gr Barnes Match Burners at 2900fps with 40gr of StaBall 6.5. I've shot several 3 -5 shot groups at 300yds that have been under 0.5inch. There is no sign of pressure on the case head or with respect to bolt lift. I'm a big fan of this Peterson SRP brass. I have heard from some folks that the initial runs of Peterson (specifically the .308 SRP brass) had soft heads, but that has been addressed and resolved.

For comparison I pulled down some of this year's Peterson Ammo, and they are using 39gr of some type of Ball powder and it's pushing a 107gr Sierra about 2925fps in this current barrel.

I used this factory ammo for 200yd and 300yd and my long line ammo for 600yd to shoot a 778-25x at the PA state NRA Highpower Championship this past weekend. I own every point lost - I can't blame my ammo or equipment.

Anyone running Berger 109’s out of their XC ?
Any info would be fantastic.
Thanks....

So i started shooting xc back in march/april of this year. Started out with peterson lrp brass and berger 105vld’s.
Shot great but dont remember exact velocity of them.
I found some 105 lapua scenars and grabbed 1k of them. Ran the same load of 38.5 ofh4350 and seared the same depth .020 off the lands. Shot exactly in the same spot. Repeatable every time. The lapua loads have a vel of 3050 fps trued in the kestrel and verified out past 1200yds.

Reactions: SLAYIN'SWEDE
Ok so here goes this. I have some 108 berger bt target.
I also have an unopened jug of shootersworld long rifle
I was thinking i may start with my goto charge of 38.5gn
And give them a try. Anybody have any real world info on this powder and bullet combo? If not j suppose i will be the guinea pig.

Reactions: OneShot63
So i guinea pigged some 108 berger bt target and shootersworld powder just a little this morning.
My mag speed is jacked up so no velocities however,
I ran them against a single bullet hole of a known velocity 105 lapua scenar at 3050fps. They shot about 1/10 high and left. Of poa. I loaded 38.5 of shootersworld long rifle
And seated .015 off the lands. 3shot group measured .423.
With that being said, i was running a new can as well.
I knew that was getting to the point of needing a new barrel as well and i think after running the known load out to 850 that my barrel is done. So a new barrel hopefully this week and i will run another test after break in hopefully next weekend with
Anyways. I pulled the can off and went back to the brake just checking if it was the can causin the problem. Nope very accurate load was all over the place at 600 and 850.
Backing up to punt. And in a hurry as well. Have 2 matches coming up in 3-4 weeks but if all works out should be gtg. Will post load results when worked up

Reactions: OneShot63
@Lightning8
The ammo that I got from Peterson Cartridge Company this year used a ball powder....looked a lot like my keg of StaBall.
I took the brass (small rifle primer) and worked up loads for 112gr Barnes and 115 DTAC's. This current barrel does not like this current lot of DTAC's at any speed.
But I'm running the 112gr Barnes Match Burners at 2900fps with 40gr of StaBall 6.5. I've shot several 3 -5 shot groups at 300yds that have been under 0.5inch. There is no sign of pressure on the case head or with respect to bolt lift. I'm a big fan of this Peterson SRP brass. I have heard from some folks that the initial runs of Peterson (specifically the .308 SRP brass) had soft heads, but that has been addressed and resolved.

For comparison I pulled down some of this year's Peterson Ammo, and they are using 39gr of some type of Ball powder and it's pushing a 107gr Sierra about 2925fps in this current barrel.

I used this factory ammo for 200yd and 300yd and my long line ammo for 600yd to shoot a 778-25x at the PA state NRA Highpower Championship this past weekend. I own every point lost - I can't blame my ammo or equipment.
Can I ask what reamer spec you are using for the Barnes 112 match burners ?

Id have to wonder if rl 17 works well for this as well as working really good for 6.5 cm with a 140 gr bullet if h 100 v would work just as good for you cause 40.8 gr h100v is giving me max : 2759 min :2735 avg: 2750 es: 9,2 with a 140 gr bullet out of my 26'' barrel a little old 115 gr would not even need that much powder no idea what the pressures are or would be for you if I missed someone else above suggesting it sorry .

I'm using the Tubb reamer. I think it's a Manson reamer.
I'm using Peterson Brass, a Tubb sizing die, and an SAC "The" Seating Die.

Good Luck,
Ross
Thanks Kimber.204, this is exactly what I have done. Sending barrel and reamer out today to Rubicon Precision to get the work done. Bartlein 5R at 28” Heavy Varmint. Again thanks for the response.

So today i went to the range with 38.5 gns of shootersworld long rifle under some berger 108 boattail targets. Velocity was 3076 avg with a es of 12, sd of 5
Little tuner work and they were good to go at .4.
Ran dope and went out to 850 with a group i could cover with my hand. Gonna run this barrel with that load. No heavy bolt lift at all.

Has anyone worked any loads with Reloader 15.5?

I just got a 6xc rifle with a bunch of Peterson LRP brass and 112 Barnes match burners.

Does the Peterson brass need to be loaded down compared to other brass? What are some H4350 loads you've used with 112-115 bullets?

Trying to work up the exact same load this week with 112s, H4350and CCI 450s. Only slight twist is I am going to try a bit more jump than I usually use;0.0650-0.0750.

Also new brass so not quite ideal. Amd apparently some “not ideal” lots of 112s.

I will try to make time and post some rests.

ZY

1A48875C-CC0B-451C-BD84-701C6F7E6503.jpeg
Just some initial testing 112MB, CCI 450, H4350 from 38.0 - 39.2. Seated about 0.0650 off lands. Mainly to get some basic 112MB data; had not shot them before.

-Just a single shot for vel to get some ballpark info
- 26” Bartlein with about 1k rounds on it
- 1st target was 1 of each of the 5 charge weight, two separate groups, O.4 mil offset—surprising consistent group “shape”…. Was clean barrel.
- New Peterson SRP brass. Forgot to graphite the necks---usually do for new brass--and it was a bit grabby seating bullets. For initial outing, shows promise

Expect I will work the 38.1-38.3 range—good velocity for me—and work seating depth to tune more. Expect I will try 65-80 off range.

Just some of my info FWIW.

Last edited:
Figured I would keep the tread going.
This is a new barrel with only 75 rounds on it now. Broke it in with 25 shots using Sierra 110 MK’s and a mild load of 37.50 grs. Then ran another 25 with 110 A-Tips, with another mild load of 37.70. Cleaned barrel all the way down to prep for the DTAC 115 HBN’s. Ran 25 shots today.
It took 20 rounds from absolute clean bore for it to settle in, but it sure did that nicely with the last 5 shot group printing a .256
6mm XC (Tubb’s) 28” Bartlein 5R tube
DTAC 115 HBN - Seated at BTO=2.1835/COAL=2.7900
H-4350 - 39.38 gr.
CCI 450 Primers
Peterson SRP Brass
Vel: 2,942 fps
ES: 10 fps
SD: 4.2
The above load was a little stout, so I will back it down to 38.84 grains for the next range trip. This should put me on the harmonic node at 2,910 fps with the DTAC HBN 115’s.

Attachments

• B4C0315E-95E3-4AD9-8978-86A2D7888C75.jpeg
    B4C0315E-95E3-4AD9-8978-86A2D7888C75.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Rem.243
Heres another bump I called and talked to Brad at Urbanrifleman. He knows his stuff and has Remage barrels at a unbeatable price. He talked me into a 6XC for now, put my order in and shipped it today. Had 6XC dies and bushings in stock, he even sent me results of the same batch of barrels another shooter is using. Lead me to david tubbs website for brass. Great guy to talk too and will give you advise and guidance on where to go.
Will be using a 26" 1-8 barrel tubb 160 freebore and he swears by the 112gr match burners. My only issue is h4350 is hard to find currently but on the lookout. Anyone used varget or imr 8208 with 105 or 107gr ?

I loaded 115DTACs in 6XC with Varget successfully but quickly switched back to H4350 because I needed all my Varget for 6BR and Dasher. I have moved away from 6XC when my barrel wore out - if loading 6XC today I would look for H4350, H4831, and maybe try Staball65

You can use Varget but you’ll burn out the barrel way sooner than the slower powders like H4350 etc. The longest lasting match barrel (2600 rounds) I’ve ever had was when using SW4350 which has a similar burn rate as H4831sc

You can use H4350, H4831sc, and Staball also shoots very good in 6xc. R26 gets it done too, but probably not a summer powder.