• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7.62 Modern Battle Rifle Experiences?

This is my favorite 7.62 weapon I own. Not the most accurate or lightest I own but stone reliable with all kinds of milspec ammo and just super fun to play with

An Ak variant in .308 is nothing more than a toy. Fun for slinging lead down range but they don't hold a candle to modern, western playforms. For the money, a M&P10 would be a much better investment (and you would actualy be able to find and afford mags)

Ok my SASS G@ just came off the UPS truck going to pull it apart and check it out after lunch

Doesn't get much better than Old Blue.

And yes I have experience with them in service.

I just keep getting more and more impressed with this M25...I wouldn't want to lug this gun around a battlefield, but if I needed to make some real accurate shots from a distance, I don't think it gets any better than this for a modern battle rifle. This is photo of 4 shots at 200 meters using some choice reloads.

IMG_3016_zps7d5d58e5.jpg

IMG_2957_zpsb12e3593.jpg

The M1A/M14 debate has been over for about 15 years now. It is an old, obsolete platform. Not as accurate, not as reliable, and requires constant tuning to keep it running. It has horrible ergonomics and poor mounting choices.

The only reason they were even relevent durring the WOT was the need for DMR/pennetration guns quickly. Old worn out guns that had been sitting in depot covered in cosmoline for 40 years.

It doesn't hold a candle to modern weapons like the AR10/SR-25 and SCAR17.

I am lucky enough to have picked up a SCAR Heavy a few years ago and cannot say enough good things about it. Its light, accurate, simple, modular, easy to break down, it has very little recoil, and almost all muscle memory from a M4 is easily adapted to the SCAR H. I am in no way a big guy, about 170lbs, but the Heavy feels like a small caliber rifle when firing (even in rapid succession).

It is easy to keep the muzzle on the target with little to no effort as well as it being accurate. When I first picked it up I brought it out to a range shooting 8’’ steel plates. I walked it back to about 200m without ever adjusting the factory set iron sites and ever time was a clean and predictable hit. It is a confidence inspiring weapon system, super easy to learn, light, and if you can’t already tell I am a huge fan.

If I had to pick only one rifle to keep the rest of my life it would be her without a second thought. I have tried optics ranging from red dots, holographic, 1-4x’s, as well as a 25x and it has done well with all. My only modifications are a Timney 3.5lb trigger, a GGG charging handle, and an extended tacrail. If you have any questions about it, feel free to let me know.

I was lucky to have found a stocking Dealer for Scar 17 & 16. Two years ago very near my Birthday....I felt I needed to splurge on a gift for myself.
Always wanting POF in .308.. after doing a lot of research, printing out reviews from the web, etc.
I saw that SCAR 17s in the store, handled it , and it looked so "fugly" it was actualy pretty to me.
Yep, I bought it . Although the only other .308 I had fired recently was an Armalite AR-10. The two final shots from the Armalite , were on potatoes , resting on dowel rods.
I figured ...I'll save the veggies for the guy; ( he was nice enough to let me shoot his gun ,with a few rounds)
So I shot the tops of the sticks, were it met the potatoes.... twice ... shoulda' filmed it. I think the guy was pissed that I ruined his wood carving.
Long story , short......... I am just as thrilled with the accuracy of the 17s ..... with 168 Fed. G.M. Match ; it is just as accurate as my experience with the AR-10 .
Funny, how I still want a POF, tho.

If ya got the $$$$$$$ ya get the Scar 17 , if not and it's got to be a piston rifle you can find a NIB Sis 716p for between $1600.00 and $1800.00 .

My main focus for this thread is piston operation, not DI. I've already done research on the DI side of this equation, and the two that are being considered are the KAC SR-25 and LMT LM8MWS. I'm familiar with JP and have heard good things, but they just don't interest me. The GAP-10 does and is on my radar, but I tend to gravitate towards "mil proven" stuff. I certainly couldn't discount GAP though. I know they're top notch. The OBR and PredatOBR have been on my radar, but since LaRue got rid of their LE discount, I really don't see a reason to go that route anymore. I hate to have this sound snotty, but if they don't offer me LE pricing, I have no desire to do business with them. Plenty of other companies do. In fact, several companies like KAC and POF have exceptional LE pricing.

Being from Minnesota, I'm very familiar with DP MS. And not in a good way. I know that their LR-308 platform is more reliable than their AR15 line. However, I have enough personal history and experience with DP MS's poor QC and customer service as an armorer to never ever give them any money or consideration. There is a long list of LE agencies in our state that have been on the receiving end of DP MS's poor QC.

I'm trying to develop some sense of where to go with the piston side of the equation.

The long and short of it is that the rifle needs to be MOA or better accurate for sniper use, but still needs to be maneuverable for CQB and carbine training courses. Primary use is within the street patrol function, with SWAT callout capability straight from the car. Primary optic is slated to be a Trijicon VCOG, with a precision optic option later on. I want it to have the ability to work in a patrol/DMR function now, but have sniper accuracy capability if things shift that way. We have one of our snipers retiring soon, and I'm gunning for the slot. I would like to run a semi-auto in that role if I were to get it (nobody else wants sniper allegedly), which is why I want the higher precision.

Weight is somewhat of a consideration, but it's not the end of the world. I'm not hoofing it through the Hindu Kush with this thing. I also spend a considerable amount of personal time in a gym picking weights up and putting them back down, so I'm far less "weight sensitive" with rifles than most people.

I have seriously considered the SCAR-17, but I've heard of it killing certain optics. I'm still trying to nail down which ones. The other issue is that I don't like the standard SCAR-17 configuration. I'd have to get the PWS front rail extension, Geissele trigger, TangoDown grip, VLTOR carbine stock tube attachment and likely a B5 systems SOPMOD stock with Battleline SAPR. That's about $1k right there in add-ons. Not the most ideal financially. I have handled a SCAR-17 (never shot it though), and it was actually not too bad in my hands. If I had it "as is", I would be fine with it for just personal or patrol only use. I'm just not sure about the accuracy vs what I would get from say, a POF P308, which seems to get consistent positive reviews for being very accurate.

Money is obviously an issue, and I'd like to not spend an arm and a leg. I don't want to cheap out either, as I'm willing to pay for quality.

What I'm looking for is experience, observations on quality or accuracy, opinions, etc.

If quality control and CS are important to you then you should rule out the POF. They should re brand to POS!!!

Mine was easily sub MOA with match ammo. I haver had a single malfunction or issue with it. The SCAR is obviously lighter but I think the PWS brings a lot to the table. I looked at both when I was buying the PWS, but decided that since I wasnt going to be in and out of vehicles shooting (the only real point of a folding stock) the PWS could do everything the SCAR could for less money. And the reciprocating charging handle is silly.
I have been reading a lot of positives with the PWS Mk216. Based on what I have read, it seems like exactly what I was looking for in the piston realm. I think it's going to be the leading competitor against the LMT.

Sig for me, My LGS has a heck of a deal on a scar 17 but its just not my cup of tea. The SIG is heavy but all 308 AR platforms are. Good Luck
I considered the SIG, and I like the price on it. LE/MIL/First Responder price is listed right on their website and is in the $1600 range. That's hard to ignore, especially considering that the next closest option is $800 more. That's a lot of money. I am just really bothered by the carbine length handguard that Sig chose. There's a lot of wasted space IMO.

To OP,

I own an HK417 which is similar but not identical to the MR762. I think it is a great rifle system but I am a little biased towards H&Ks. Wasn't a fan of the stock trigger system and have since replaced it with a Geissele pack. You mentioned that you were on a budget. The HK417 is not a budget rifle unless there is an LEO/Military discount which we civilians don't get.

I have also fired a friend's Black Rain Ordinance rifle on 3 occasions but can't remember which model it was specifically. It was quite an easy and controllable weapon as well and was impressed with the quality. I also believe it is a bit cheaper than the H&K. Although you ruled out M1A type, there are ways to modernize that as well. I have an M1A super match that I have owned since 1988 and recently switched over to the J. Allen JAE-100 stock and I would put this up against any "modern" design in terms of functionality and accuracy…that being said, I am not the shooter you all are having just moved from CA after 14 years where few if any of my rifles could see the light of day.

Best regards and good luck

The M1A/M14 debate has been over for about 15 years now. It is an old, obsolete platform. Not as accurate, not as reliable, and requires constant tuning to keep it running. It has horrible ergonomics and poor mounting choices.

The only reason they were even relevent durring the WOT was the need for DMR/pennetration guns quickly. Old worn out guns that had been sitting in depot covered in cosmoline for 40 years.

It doesn't hold a candle to modern weapons like the AR10/SR-25 and SCAR17.
I used to own a M1A Loaded ERC and equipped a JAE stock on it. I wound up dumping a lot of money into it, with very little return on my investment in terms of accuracy or mobility. The rifle was extremely heavy, and the 22" barrel was unnecessary.
I got my hands on a SOCOM-16 and SOCOM-II, and both were really front-heavy. The whole system is antiquated IMO. That's why i don't want it.

My agency has an HK91 and several M14s, and both just aren't what I am looking for. We have talked about modifying them, but the cost and time associated with that is just too much and the agency won't appropriate funds for something that is going to be that problematic. The HK91 would be cheaper, but still difficult to work with due to the length and weight.

The only thing a scar will give you over a pof is weight savings and a moving side charging handle

pof will give you a better
trigger
stock
barrel some would say
pmags

but it is billet // heavy, probably 50% more than a colt m4 empty

I really really shopped around, got mine np3 for $2150 4yrs ago

I have been reading a lot of positives with the PWS Mk216. Based on what I have read, it seems like exactly what I was looking for in the piston realm. I think it's going to be the leading competitor against the LMT.

I considered the SIG, and I like the price on it. LE/MIL/First Responder price is listed right on their website and is in the $1600 range. That's hard to ignore, especially considering that the next closest option is $800 more. That's a lot of money. I am just really bothered by the carbine length handguard that Sig chose. There's a lot of wasted space IMO.

I used to own a M1A Loaded ERC and equipped a JAE stock on it. I wound up dumping a lot of money into it, with very little return on my investment in terms of accuracy or mobility. The rifle was extremely heavy, and the 22" barrel was unnecessary.
I got my hands on a SOCOM-16 and SOCOM-II, and both were really front-heavy. The whole system is antiquated IMO. That's why i don't want it.

My agency has an HK91 and several M14s, and both just aren't what I am looking for. We have talked about modifying them, but the cost and time associated with that is just too much and the agency won't appropriate funds for something that is going to be that problematic. The HK91 would be cheaper, but still difficult to work with due to the length and weight.

I definitely agree with the last comments. I have shot the SOCOMs and din't like them for the reasons mentioned. My original post is based only on my particular situation. I purchased the M1A SM for less than $900 in 1988. Even with the cost of the new stock, my total investment was less than $1,700. I don't know any .308 SA out there that could match the performance for that amount of money. The manageability of the rifle's length and weight is not a problem for me as all I do is lug it to the range and shoot paper. If I employed it as many of you do (and BTW, thanks for your service), I would share your opinion.

Best regards,

Not a piston rifle but I carried a Knights Armament SR-25 (MK 11 MOD 0) for 3 years in the sandbox. No complaints other than the Leupold Scope is a piece of junk. I say that because the turrets wear out after multiple elevation and windage changes of the scope. The turrets will not index correctly after awhile. The rifle itself was good to go.