• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 Rem Mag - 7 WSM - 7-08

For those running a 7-08, especially with heavier for caliber bullets, it might be worth it to get ahold of some Staball 6.5.

I have a 20” 7-08 1:8 that I ran 180 eldms up to 2590 at Hodgdon book max for a 175. They don’t show data for 180’s unfortunately, 2.950 coal, .020 off lands in a saami chamber. OCW test produced a load around 1 gain below book max, with velocity still around 2530.

162 eldms were at 2770 at book max, 2.930 coal, .020 of the lands. OCW test also showed promise with charge weights about 1 grain below book max, velocity was still around 2720.

This was in Alpha brass, and had no signs of pressure on the brass and perfect extraction. I ran it up a little higher, but velocity started to spike about .5-1 grain over book for both bullets.

Groups were in the .6-.8 range. I might try messing with seating depth a little, but for a hunting gun it would be fine as is.
Thank you, I picked up a couple of pounds of StaBall 6.5 to replace the impossible to find H4895 and RL15 for use with 120g monolithic and will post results when done.

My 40 X from the Remington custom shop with a seven rim mag barrel is coming up on its 16th birthday and getting a little long in the tooth. When I got it in 2008 I was still using Alliant powders and it shoots lights out with 162 AMAX/ELD & reloder 19. With time and inevitably wisdom, I have gotten away from the reloader powders because of their temperature sensitivity and more recently because I can’t find them in stock.

If I get it, re-barreled and work up a new load for the 162ELD, I will be looking for a Hodgkin extreme powder. Anyone have a really good load for the seven rim mag with either 4831 short cut or H 1000?

I use RL-22 with the 162 ELDX. I have both powders you mentioned but did not bother with them given my results. Notes below:

3.360"RL-2264.6grAvg=2960, SD=2!Rem 700 24"Max load per Alliant site is 65gr for 160 Speer,

Reactions: secondofangle2
My 40 X from the Remington custom shop with a seven rim mag barrel is coming up on its 16th birthday and getting a little long in the tooth. When I got it in 2008 I was still using Alliant powders and it shoots lights out with 162 AMAX/ELD & reloder 19. With time and inevitably wisdom, I have gotten away from the reloader powders because of their temperature sensitivity and more recently because I can’t find them in stock.

If I get it, re-barreled and work up a new load for the 162ELD, I will be looking for a Hodgkin extreme powder. Anyone have a really good load for the seven rim mag with either 4831 short cut or H 1000?
69 grains of H1000 has served me well for many years in several rifles.

Reactions: secondofangle2

H1000 and h4831 are what I’ll try when I’m out of RL19 and 162 AMAX. Yes, I still have couple hundred 162 AMAX on hand

Reactions: AZgeek
I looked at the 180 ELDM with its unbeatable G7 BC but then did the calcs - at 1000 yards it drops MORE assuming 150 fps slower, and has marginal (<0.2 MRAD in a 10 MPH 270 degree crosswind at 1000 yards) windage advantages, so I think I’ll stick with 162 ELDM since this rig is almost always shot under 1200 yards

Yes you can push it (and the 162) and yes once you get “out there” farther, it will get ahead, but I’m sticking with tried and true

Here’s some more reference for 7mm08 with heavies, since it seems like there’s hardly anybody actually trying it.

Just ran a couple tests with H4350, 180 eldm’s and 175 elite hunters.
Alpha OCD 7mm08 brass
Federal 210’s
Barrel length is 20”

Seating depth was 2.96 (mag length) for both bullets, which came out to about .020 off the lands for the 180 eldm’s and about .050 off the lands for the 175 EH’s.

Powder charges were as follows:
41.5gr - 43gr for the 180’s
42-44 for the 175’s
This was right below max capacity before having to actually compress powder. I could still hear a couple kernels moving around in the top charges for both bullets. The 175’s got more powder because they are shorter and allowed more case capacity.

Velocities were very promising given the barrel length. These were all single shots, and while not statistically significant, it still gives a general idea of what’s going on. I find it interesting that the two bullets nearly mirrored each other at the same powder charges.

180 ELDM
41.5- 2488
42- 2487
42.5- 2520
43- 2549

175 EH
42- 2485
42.5- 2513
43- 2553
43.5 -2570
44- 2611

No signs of excessive pressure were observed, and all groups were at least on par or slightly better than what I expect from this rifle.

Here’s some more reference for 7mm08 with heavies, since it seems like there’s hardly anybody actually trying it.

Just ran a couple tests with H4350, 180 eldm’s and 175 elite hunters.
Alpha OCD 7mm08 brass
Federal 210’s
Barrel length is 20”

Seating depth was 2.96 (mag length) for both bullets, which came out to about .020 off the lands for the 180 eldm’s and about .050 off the lands for the 175 EH’s.

Powder charges were as follows:
41.5gr - 43gr for the 180’s
42-44 for the 175’s
This was right below max capacity before having to actually compress powder. I could still hear a couple kernels moving around in the top charges for both bullets. The 175’s got more powder because they are shorter and allowed more case capacity.

Velocities were very promising given the barrel length. These were all single shots, and while not statistically significant, it still gives a general idea of what’s going on. I find it interesting that the two bullets nearly mirrored each other at the same powder charges.

180 ELDM
41.5- 2488
42- 2487
42.5- 2520
43- 2549

175 EH
42- 2485
42.5- 2513
43- 2553
43.5 -2570
44- 2611

No signs of excessive pressure were observed, and all groups were at least on par or slightly better than what I expect from this rifle.
That is smoking.

Thank You.

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
New video is up with my old (recently modified) 2000 Ruger M77 MK-II 7mm-08 All-Weather Stainless Mountain Rifle, and my Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 7.62 suppressor.

This is a load data thread. Not a place to spread your own social media content. You're not even a supporter of this site and your using it to increase your own views.
You have a point, but what's worse is that fucken trigger slap. @FuhQ - WTF?

You have a point, but what's worse is that fucken trigger slap. @FuhQ - WTF?
It’s not trigger slap…It’s the angle, and it appears like it because I don’t hook my finger all the way around it like some folks. It’s a quick movement resting my finger on the trigger, then a smooth pull once I’m on target. My triggers are all extremely light, so I don’t have to put heavy pressure on them or hook my finger to get proper actuation. It just happens really quickly and looks like slap. 👍🏼

New video is up with my old (recently modified) 2000 Ruger M77 MK-II 7mm-08 All-Weather Stainless Mountain Rifle, and my Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 7.62 suppressor.

Can you hear a significant difference between the 6.5 and 30 hydrogen s as the shooter?

Can you hear a significant difference between the 6.5 and 30 hydrogen s as the shooter?
Well, obviously not on that rifle in the video, as it's a 7mm... But, as far as testing them side-by-side on my .260 Rem and 6mm ARC, there is absolutely a noticeable difference at the shooter's ear. Here's a few videos I made comparing the .30 and 6.5mm cans on the same rifle with the same ammo.

The difference is MUCH more noticeable in person, but if you're using high quality speakers or headphones, you can hear the differences in the videos, as well.

Last edited:
Well, obviously not on that rifle in the video, as it's a 7mm... But, as far as testing them side-by-side on my .260 Rem and 6mm ARC, there is absolutely a noticeable difference at the shooter's ear. Here's a few videos I made comparing the .30 and 6.5mm cans on the same rifle with the same ammo.

The difference is MUCH more noticeable in person, but if you're using high quality speakers or microphones, you can hear the differences in the videos, as well.

Much obliged 🙇‍♂️

Reactions: FuhQ
Went to the range today…Put a good bit of lead down range re-zeroing and chronographing some loads for hunting season in different rifles And making sure the load stays together with the weather cooling off. The Garmin never missed a shot. 100% suppressed shooting. 👍🏼

I didn’t take any pictures of the @christensenarms Ridgeline FFT 20” 7mm-08 with the new Berger 175 Elite Hunter, 46.0gr of StaBall 6.5, Nosler brass, and CCI 200 primers. But it’s rocketing those heavies at a massively impressive 2,636 FPS! It hits HARD at 200 yards. They have a full size 1/2” plate steel deer with a heart “flapper” at 200, and it was slapping that heart all the way up and hitting the backside of the deer target. It’s going to be a beast for whitetails.

Thank you, I picked up a couple of pounds of StaBall 6.5 to replace the impossible to find H4895 and RL15 for use with 120g monolithic and will post results when done.
I've heard Hunter is good for 7-08 also if you can find any?

How did it do?
For my 120gr Hammer Hunters N135 40.5gr gets 2880fps 9SD (Sample size of 50rnds) 18" AR.

Last edited:
Went to the range today…Put a good bit of lead down range re-zeroing and chronographing some loads for hunting season in different rifles And making sure the load stays together with the weather cooling off. The Garmin never missed a shot. 100% suppressed shooting. 👍🏼

I didn’t take any pictures of the @christensenarms Ridgeline FFT 20” 7mm-08 with the new Berger 175 Elite Hunter, 46.0gr of StaBall 6.5, Nosler brass, and CCI 200 primers. But it’s rocketing those heavies at a massively impressive 2,636 FPS! It hits HARD at 200 yards. They have a full size 1/2” plate steel deer with a heart “flapper” at 200, and it was slapping that heart all the way up and hitting the backside of the deer target. It’s going to be a beast for whitetails.
What coal is it? I have a 22" that runs ~100fps slower @ 45.7 10 twist.

Yesterday's results with 708AR10 18:

140 VLDH 2.800
N540 42.3gr
FC Brass
MV: 2783
SD: 10

139SST 2.800
N540 42gr
MV: 2776
SD: 9

Primer pockets all blew to .210-.2105 so need to back off a grain if I want more than one and done on the brass.

Reactions: Top O' Texas
Yesterday's results with 708AR10 18:

140 VLDH 2.800
N540 42.3gr
FC Brass
MV: 2783
SD: 10

139SST 2.800
N540 42gr
MV: 2776
SD: 9

Primer pockets all blew to .210-.2105 so need to back off a grain if I want more than one and done on the brass.
Have you tried any of the 100 series VV (140, 150) in the 7-08?

Yes, and I forgot to add N135 to my above post:
"For my 120gr Hammer Hunters N135 40.5gr gets 2880fps 9SD (Sample size of 50rnds) 18" AR."
With the 100 series shooting 100-150fps slower than the 500 series of the same last 2 numbers they're supposed to be cooler burning? Any knowledge of it?

With the 100 series shooting 100-150fps slower than the 500 series of the same last 2 numbers they're supposed to be cooler burning? Any knowledge of it?
That velocity difference is between 120gr vs 140gr bullets. The charts say the 500 series burns hotter, but I stopped giving a shit about that after trying to thread that needle with those temp charts and will just replace the barrels "IF" they wear faster.

Doesn't sound like fun at all! The treatments that is!

NO the worst is past Me ( hopefully ) but because of MY exposure and length of it ,I'm constantly living with the consequences .

Relatively Minor compared to what I've been through over last #2 decades . However painful enough ,just got to keep all aspect under control .

Another two weeks I should be out of the pink ,so to speak ;) Swollen and near useless until Chemo ( topical ) , termination is #5 days and counting . Nickname hamburger helper ,pharma name Fluorouracil aka Chemo .

Attachments

• hands Efudex treatment 1.jpg
    hands Efudex treatment 1.jpg
    470.6 KB · Views: 13
NO the worst is past Me ( hopefully ) but because of MY exposure and length of it ,I'm constantly living with the consequences .

Relatively Minor compared to what I've been through over last #2 decades . However painful enough ,just got to keep all aspect under control .

Another two weeks I should be out of the pink ,so to speak ;) Swollen and near useless until Chemo ( topical ) , termination is #5 days and counting . Nickname hamburger helper ,pharma name Fluorouracil aka Chemo .

Stay safe and get better!

Reactions: Ex E6

What happened ?

Well show us the target
That one wasn't that great. It was more or less about seeing & hearing a suppressor on a rifle that is an extremely rare model, and even more rare having it threaded and running suppressed. I was still blowing through factory Nosler 140 BT ammo to get the brass when I filmed that one. I'm still in the middle of load development with it right now with 160 AccuBonds and StaBall 6.5. I have a baseline and max load, and an accuracy node range, which is where my next set of rounds will be in the .2gr increments. The weather didn't cooperate yesterday (rain) so hopefully this upcoming weekend it will be nice and clear so I won't have to go trudging through the mud to setup targets.

What happened ?

LIFE !. Serious over exposure to ultraviolet ,AG exposure while serving in VN ,Heliarc welding higher amperage's due too anodized pipe ,some times NO glove shielding . Twenty five years General Contractor ,#30 years Aerospace Materials processing Engineer , ALL OF THE ABOVE .

I've had so many surgeries I've lost count ,minor skin legions to more than a couple of major Melanoma Incite surgeries . #6 years back spent #5 months in the Chemo Lounge ,on various cocktails . Chemo ISN'T effective on Melanoma aka the silent killer ,so it's treated differently .
Yet skin legions are killed via Fluorouracil aka Chemo .

There's cemetery's full of far less fortunate souls than My own ,as well as hospitals of more seriously inflicted ;

So as I said I'll be fine until I'm not and only the good Lord knows that schedule .

Two weeks I should have full range of hand usage and be back out on the range . I contemplate No less (y)

LIFE !. Serious over exposure to ultraviolet ,AG exposure while serving in VN ,Heliarc welding higher amperage's due too anodized pipe ,some times NO glove shielding . Twenty five years General Contractor ,#30 years Aerospace Materials processing Engineer , ALL OF THE ABOVE .

I've had so many surgeries I've lost count ,minor skin legions to more than a couple of major Melanoma Incite surgeries . #6 years back spent #5 months in the Chemo Lounge ,on various cocktails . Chemo ISN'T effective on Melanoma aka the silent killer ,so it's treated differently .
Yet skin legions are killed via Fluorouracil aka Chemo .

There's cemetery's full of far less fortunate souls than My own ,as well as hospitals of more seriously inflicted ;

So as I said I'll be fine until I'm not and only the good Lord knows that schedule .

Two weeks I should have full range of hand usage and be back out on the range . I contemplate No less (y)
Thanks for your response. I'm a retired Ironworker with multi-welding certifications. I always wore gloves.

Anyone running 166 A tips in their 708? I have had some for a while and need to do something with them.

Have Varget, IMR 4064, R 17, and H4350 on hand. Most interested in the Varget.

Anyone running 166 A tips in their 708? I have had some for a while and need to do something with them.

W760, RL17, H100V work good with 162 ELDM, should also with 166. 44-46gr ish.

Reactions: BradleyH

I Don't run 708 but have a close friend who loves his . Sometime back he gave Me his Load data sheet ( in case something happened to his or him ? ) . He has a capital C around 38.4 gr. IMR 4064 for his 166 Gr. load ,so I'm assuming it's either caution or compressed . Unfortunately he didn't specify or leave a legend ,I'll sound him next range session . Use caution and figure it's on the top end is all I can add .

I Don't run 708 but have a close friend who loves his . Sometime back he gave Me his Load data sheet ( in case something happened to his or him ? ) . He has a capital C around 38.4 gr. IMR 4064 for his 166 Gr. load ,so I'm assuming it's either caution or compressed . Unfortunately he didn't specify or leave a legend ,I'll sound him next range session . Use caution and figure it's on the top end is all I can add .
Or Catastrophic lol. I think that’s book max for imr.

I know the Atips are a hair longer than the ELDM. However when I load the 162s I can hear the powder rattle a little. Hardly any rattling with the 166. Really a slight crunch if I’m being honest, within book levels and a hair longer COL.

I didn’t think they would be THAT different but I’ll have to do a quick ladder

Reactions: Ex E6
Or Catastrophic lol. I think that’s book max for imr.

I know the Atips are a hair longer than the ELDM. However when I load the 162s I can hear the powder rattle a little. Hardly any rattling with the 166. Really a slight crunch if I’m being honest, within book levels and a hair longer COL.

I didn’t think they would be THAT different but I’ll have to do a quick ladder
I load to that slight kernel or 3 rattle. Compressed loads can screw with seating depths.

Reactions: BradleyH
7mm Rem Mag

24" Factory Bergara Premier barrel, 1:9.25" twist. It shoots okay - about .6 - .7 MOA out to distance with most everything I've fed it. Not a hammer, but it doesn't suck and it doesn't shift from cold bore until the 4th shot if you don't let things cool back down.

150gr ELD-X
Virgin Norma Brass
65.5 IMR-4955 (sitting on a keg of it, might as well use it up)
Fed 215
3.330 COL, don't have the CBTO in front of me.

3,011 FPS / ES of 22 / SD of 8

Accuracy has been right at 3/4 MOA. Will probably try to fine tune seating depth this summer when my new stock for the rifle comes in. Only thing I've killed with it so far was a coyote at about 240 yards. Left a pretty bloody mess as I shot it quartering to me and it took the guts out as it exited.

I run mostly 156 Gr. CuNi Oryx bullets ,otherwise Nosler Partitions and occasionally Barnes TTSX & TSX . Decades ago I purchased a storage garage content at auction and it was full of all manner of reloading goodies . Including #4200 7mm 156.0 Gr. CuNi Oryx bullets .

I also only Hunt with MY 7 Rem Mags ,no longer shoot long distance match stuff with em .

As far as shooting yotes , My .222 Rem. or any of My .223's does just marvelous outward 400 Yd. . I still like H870 but confess getting down to my last few lb. now ,so looks as if N560 is gonna be my replacement powder .

708 ,145 speer btsp , reloader 17 , starline 308 SRP brass necked down, 7 1/2 rem primers 2886 fps
708 46.9 gr big game,nosler 140, starline 308 SRP brass ,7 1/2 rem primers

708 139 btsp hornady ,staball 6.5 47.6 gr

708 ,imr 8208 xbr 41.5 gr, CX 139 hornady, starline 308 SPR necked down ,7 1/2 rem primers

708, imr 4451 46.1 gr ,hornady 139 ptsp , starline 308 SPR necked down ,7 1/2 rem primers

Last edited:
Just got a 7RM in a tikka.

Any good loads?

Lots & Lots of them . What twist ,What powder , What Bullet and How far too target . Paper punchers or game animals ?. Need Info and everyone's Rifles vary ,even Tikka's because I've got a couple along with Sako's ,Mauser and such .