• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 Rem Mag - 7 WSM - 7-08

So this is the route I went. I actually have an 18" proof 1:8 twist chambered in 7/08 and planning on running the 175's. Would be interested in any information you have. Plan on working up a load soon and trying to decide on the right powder. I have plenty of Varget and H4350. I have 8lbs of IMR4895 as well but not sure if that's gonna work. Sorry to revive an older post.
Varget is what I run in my .308 for 215 down to 168. Never had an issue with it.

anyone have any luck with IMR 8133 in the 7RM? Close to Retumbo? Currently loading up some H1k to try but I have 8lbs of the 8133 I may give a shot. Looks like may produce better velocity. I’ll be a happy camper with anything over 2900.

I’ll be runing 180gn Berger Hybrids in a 26” tube

anyone have any luck with IMR 8133 in the 7RM? Close to Retumbo? Currently loading up some H1k to try but I have 8lbs of the 8133 I may give a shot. Looks like may produce better velocity. I’ll be a happy camper with anything over 2900.

I’ll be runing 180gn Berger Hybrids in a 26” tube
I ran imr 8133 in a 7mm rem mag 197 smk. 68 grains 2830 for velocity. Sd was 6.7. Great powder all my loads are single digit SD but velocity might be slower. Same rifle I used h1000 64 grains for same speed.

Reactions: HogsLife
Does anyone have any pet loads for a 7RM 180vld or 184 F pet loads with retumbo? The books seems to be "off" based on the information I have seen so far.

Does anyone have any pet loads for a 7RM 180vld or 184 F pet loads with retumbo? The books seems to be "off" based on the information I have seen so far.
You can also check on Hodgon website they have reloading data or call berger bullets they give out load data for there bullets.

You can also check on Hodgon website they have reloading data or call berger bullets they give out load data for there bullets.
Sadly Berger does not have retumbo on their list for the 184gr, I got that information from them yesterday. I looked at the Hodgdon site and the numbers seem low, I was hoping to see if anyone else has any data on this load.

Reactions: Schw15
Sadly Berger does not have retumbo on their list for the 184gr, I got that information from them yesterday. I looked at the Hodgdon site and the numbers seem low, I was hoping to see if anyone else has any data on this load.
Never shot the 184 but I'm sure you could work up slow with 180 grain load data. But hopefully someone else can help out

Reactions: warnera1102
I'm actually using Lapua 308 brass that I run through a 7mm--08 FL sizing die. I thought I was gonna have to turn the necks on the brass, that's why I was asking myself. But it seems I'm good to go for now.
Since accumulating enough Lapua .260 brass for my needs for the foreseeable future, I’m thinking of using my Nosler .260 brass for the new 7mm-08.

Would this be any different going up rather than going down?

I’ve a new set of FL 7mm-08 dies.

Since accumulating enough Lapua .260 brass for my needs for the foreseeable future, I’m thinking of using my Nosler .260 brass for the new 7mm-08.

Would this be any different going up rather than going down?

I’ve a new set of FL 7mm-08 dies.
I honestly could not tell you on that one.

I've used 6creed for 6.5 creed. Never tried 260 for 7mm-08

Doc

Reactions: hseII
7mm-08
150 gr Eldx
46.2 gr Big Game
WLRM
R-P brass
2780 fps
Tikka Superlite
4 shots
Elk, deer, antelope

Same load, different Tikka. Three shots.

P

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbrass
Probably a stupid question.

Are all Winchester ammo in the same brass?

I'm contemplating reloading. It is still not economical where I rather start collecting uniform brass. Currently buying whatever is available/discounted but I have only been using them for zeroing, practice and hunting. Thinking of using the 7mm Rem mag for my primary long range shooter (not ELR. Up to a mile.)

Which factory win is good for practice and collecting brass? Shooting out of a braked 26.

Weird question... I've always ran the longest barrels possible on magnums, and this past year finally started getting my suppressors back, so I'll be able to hunt with them this upcoming deer season in the Fall/Winter. My custom built 7mmRM has a 26" sporter barrel, and won't have enough meat on the barrel for 5/8x24 threads... I'm thinking about cutting it back to 20" to have enough barrel shoulder for running a suppressor... Anyone ever run a 20" 7mmRM? How much velocity did you lose going from 26" to 20"?

Weird question... I've always ran the longest barrels possible on magnums, and this past year finally started getting my suppressors back, so I'll be able to hunt with them this upcoming deer season in the Fall/Winter. My custom built 7mmRM has a 26" sporter barrel, and won't have enough meat on the barrel for 5/8x24 threads... I'm thinking about cutting it back to 20" to have enough barrel shoulder for running a suppressor... Anyone ever run a 20" 7mmRM? How much velocity did you lose going from 26" to 20"?
Not exactly 26 to 20. Had the same ammo fired out of a 28, 26 and 24, side by side comparison, same twist. The 28 to 26 saw about 60fps slower. 26 to 24 was a further 100fps.

I would venture a guess that you will see about 300fps slower than a 26 as the cartridge has a sweet spot of about 25-26.

Edited to include link to an old article. https://rifleshooter.com/2015/04/7mm-remington-magnum-7-rem-mag-barrel-length-versus-velocity/

I wouldn't go shorter than 25. Maybe 24 shortest if always shooting with suppressor.

Last edited:
Reactions: aklaunch and FuhQ
Not exactly 26 to 20. Had the same ammo fired out of a 28, 26 and 24, side by side comparison, same twist. The 28 to 26 saw about 60fps slower. 26 to 24 was a further 100fps.

I would venture a guess that you will see about 300fps slower than a 26 as the cartridge has a sweet spot of about 25-26.

Edited to include link to an old article. https://rifleshooter.com/2015/04/7mm-remington-magnum-7-rem-mag-barrel-length-versus-velocity/

I wouldn't go shorter than 25. Maybe 24 shortest if always shooting with suppressor.
Different barrels will produce different velocities even if they're made back-to-back by the same manufacturer...Especially if they were different manufacturers and different rifling types, twist rates, etc... So I don't know if 300 fps loss would be quite right. That seems a bit high.

His tests (in the link you provided) showed an average loss of about 25.6 FPS per inch, which means I'd only be losing about 153.6 FPS (estimated) dropping from 26" to 20"... If so, then that means my 168 Berger VLD hunting load would still be right around the 3,000 FPS MV mark. Plenty for what I need hunting here in Alabama.

Different barrels will produce different velocities even if they're made back-to-back by the same manufacturer...Especially if they were different manufacturers and different rifling types, twist rates, etc... So I don't know if 300 fps loss would be quite right. That seems a bit high.

His tests (in the link you provided) showed an average loss of about 25.6 FPS per inch, which means I'd only be losing about 153.6 FPS (estimated) dropping from 26" to 20"... If so, then that means my 168 Berger VLD hunting load would still be right around the 3,000 FPS MV mark. Plenty for what I need hunting here in Alabama.
We were shooting 162 ELD factory match ammo. Cannot remember further details.

I was doing the comparison to help me form an idea for my all rounder rifle (even though I have a few other rifles). I was told by my gunsmith that if I want to go 24 inch or below on my 7mm Rem mag, then my terminal ballistics is going to approach a 270 win. Sure enough, he is right.

I did actually read the article I linked before I was able to put my own test together. I too was surprised by my data but it is what it is. Agreed that the barrel quality could have affected the speeds but they were all good quality heavy profile stuff.

The short of my input is really, any shorter than 24 inches, you may as well use a 270 win and not have to deal with the recoil, noise, cost and belted brass.

Reactions: FuhQ
New video is up with the brand new Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L on my custom A-Bolt II 7mmRM. This is going to be one awesome lightweight (and QUIET!) deer hunting rig. I hope my stamp comes back before deer season. 👍🏼

Last edited:
Reactions: forthehunt
I’d say I’ve gotten that new Berger 168 VLD & 7977 load dialed-in pretty damn well, after hacking and threading the Browning 7mmRM down to 22.5”.

These were shot with the Otter Creek Hydrogen-L with the ZR0-DTA mount.

Normally I shoot 5-shot groups, but with magnums I typically only shoot 3-shot groups, due to the extra heat and wear on the throat.

Plus, my magnums are only for hunting, and are not range toys. Therefore, I normally would never need more than 2 shots in a row on deer. Typically only 1, as I don’t miss, also by law we’re only allowed a 2 deer per person, per day limit. So, hunting inside of 500 yards, that’s only 2 shots max for me.

Hydrogen-L w/ KeyMo setup.

3BD530DD-62BB-4659-9F7C-B2E1AB17B52D.jpeg

Hydrogen-L w/ OCL ZR0aDTA mount.

36985AC8-9DA1-4B20-9789-1A19988519D5.jpeg

Not counting the fliers (caused from me adjusting between shots)

180F4D2B-6B7B-4308-AFDC-015CA79BF251.jpeg

With fliers (after making an adjustment)

609F0ECF-D205-4904-A0E2-A6F1F43CED03.jpeg

Magnetospeed V2 data shooting through the suppressor for exact real-world ballistic data.

Avg. MV: 2,931 FPS
ES: 3 FPS
SD: 1 FPS

975F4DA9-5BE3-4BFC-99B9-23D65F0FB9B9.jpeg

Wow. That's a good speed for a 22.5. Have to wonder how hot is that load.

I guess barrel life doesn't matter. 2 shots a weekend should still see the rifle last you a few decades.

Wow. That's a good speed for a 22.5. Have to wonder how hot is that load.

I guess barrel life doesn't matter. 2 shots a weekend should still see the rifle last you a few decades.
It's a VERY hot load. I wouldn't recommend it without very carefully working up. The A-Bolt II action is a 3-lug design and distributes pressure more equally than a 2-lug like the Remington 700 style actions. Therefore it handles pressure a bit better, as well. That said, max recommended charge for that load is like 68.5gr on Hodgdon's digital reloading center (none of my manuals are new enough to have 7977 in them). So I worked up and found the best nodes, and in my rifle found one at 68.5gr and then again right on the money at 70.0gr. And since I had no excess pressure signs, and the chrono data and groups at 70 were amazing, I figured I'll let it ride.

I've probably got over 350 rounds through that barrel, and she's still putting 3 shots in the .350" range... Hopefully she'll be around for a long long time. 👍🏼

Reactions: forthehunt
Looking for load suggestions for a long throat 7 wsm.
I’ll be loading to 3.2 oal and have some 195 EOL on the way. If anyone here has gone this route.

Fucked around and went into the local store after work… 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT 20” 7mm-08 Rem. This thing weighs nothing!

57C001E0-BD49-453E-B610-C2CF6783662F.jpeg
5A30745B-0CAF-4718-89E6-F9CAEA936D77.jpeg
B2293EDD-2B7D-40C7-A3B9-48AE19A74CA1.jpeg
DA84896F-ECDB-45B5-9774-64625CB6E377.jpeg

Reactions: Modoc
Reactions: hseII and FuhQ
Dayum! Now that would kill the 6.5 itch that I’ve been having! What would be one more 7mm-08 when you are already loading for 5 others?🥴

I’m looking forward to the range report on this one.
I have to order a base for it, and then I'll slap an extra scope on there for now, and start working up some loads for it. Probably going to run the Berger 175 Elite Hunters, since it's a 1:9 twist. 😏 I'll probably hit up the range this upcoming weekend if my base shows up in time.

Reactions: Modoc
I’m not sure of the twist, it was built in the ‘80’s but Barnes 120g TTSX with 42.1g of RL-15, Winchester LRP and Remington brass gave me about 5/8” at 100 yards in my “custom” Remington 660. My wife’s Remington 700 box stock got approximately 1/2” with the same case, bullet and primer using H4895 at 42.2g.

I have to order a base for it, and then I'll slap an extra scope on there for now, and start working up some loads for it. Probably going to run the Berger 175 Elite Hunters, since it's a 1:9 twist. 😏 I'll probably hit up the range this upcoming weekend if my base shows up in time.
Is there an advantage to shooting the heavies slower than say a 160class at 2700fps?

Is there an advantage to shooting the heavies slower than say a 160class at 2700fps?
Yes, they don’t run out of steam near as fast as a lighter bullet traveling faster…It’s a wind resistance thing. Plus, the heavies have higher BC’s, allowing you to extend your range, if you so choose.

People used to doubt that fact, but I used to converse with Bryan Litz regularly over on LRH. He’s a really nice guy, and one of the most accurate and honest ballisticians in the industry. He works for Berger. One day we got to talking about heavies, and I told him that I had been shooting Berger 210 & 215’s in my .308 Win for years with amazing results, even despite the slower muzzle velocity. So he got intrigued, built a custom competition .308 Win rig, worked a load with 215 Hybrids, and won his very first 1000 yard match with it…Even against 6.5CM and many other calibers and cartridges. He proved my results, and shut up a lot of the naysayers and fudds. 😏👍🏼

Proof... The article from his 2014 win. 😉

Last edited:
Yes, they don’t run out of steam near as fast as a lighter bullet traveling faster…It’s a wind resistance thing. Plus, the heavies have higher BC’s, allowing you to extend your range, if you so choose.

People used to doubt that fact, but I used to converse with Bryan Litz regularly over on LRH. He’s a really nice guy, and one of the most accurate and honest ballisticians in the industry. He works for Berger. One day we got to talking about heavies, and I told him that I had been shooting Berger 210 & 215’s in my .308 Win for years with amazing results, even despite the slower muzzle velocity. So he got intrigued, built a custom competition .308 Win rig, worked a load with 215 Hybrids, and won his very first 1000 yard match with it…Even against 6.5CM and many other calibers and cartridges. He proved my results, and shut up a lot of the naysayers and fudds. 😏👍🏼

Proof... The article from his 2014 win. 😉

Obviously this is not a Scientific comparison where all variables are controlled & we change 1 by 1, but we have been comparing what we have.

We have been shooting the 178 Amaxs out of a 16” gun & trying to land on an all purposes load. I have started shooting a 150 grain ELDX in a 22” 7mm-08.

The 7mm-08 @ 2750fps hits harder at 200, 300, & 400 yards, Noticeably Harder according to both the Steel targets & ballistic calculators.

We thought the heavier Amax @ 2450fps would eventually show signs of retaining more energy but inside 400 the faster 7mm-08 wins hands down: a delta of 300 fps is hard to overcome within these parameters.

I started looking for a suitable lighter weight 30 cal bullet for this short barrel 308- there isn’t a 150 class ELDX in 30 cal, just an M. I suppose we will try that next?

If the 308 had 6” more barrel I’m sure that would help, but suffice to say after this I’m going to stick with a 7mm-08 for my short action gun; it just does the 308 case better in my opinion.

Last edited:
Obviously this is not a Scientific comparison where all variables are controlled & we change 1 by 1, but we have been comparing what we have.

We have been shooting the 178 Amaxs out of a 16” gun & trying to land on an all purposes load. I have started shooting a 150 grain ELDX in a 22” 7mm-08.

The 7mm-08 @ 2750fps hits harder at 200, 300, & 400 yards, Noticeably Harder according to both the Steel targets & ballistic calculators.

We thought the heavier Amax @ 2450fps would eventually show signs of retaining more energy but inside 400 the faster 7mm-08 wins hands down: a delta of 300 fps is hard to overcome within these parameters.

I started looking for a suitable lighter weight 30 cal bullet for this short barrel 308- there isn’t a 150 class ELDX in 30 cal, just an M. I suppose we will try that next?

If the 308 had 6” more barrel I’m sure that would help, but suffice to say after this I’m going to stick with a 7mm-08 for my short action gun; it just does the 308 case better in my opinion.
Yeah, up close, it won’t matter so much, but I’m talking about beyond 600 yards where wind and gravity really starts playing into it. Run the numbers on a ballistics chart for a Berger 168 and 215 hybrid. The ballistics charts are math, and math is pretty finite.

Yeah, up close, it won’t matter so much, but I’m talking about beyond 600 yards where wind and gravity really starts playing into it. Run the numbers on a ballistics chart for a Berger 168 and 215 hybrid. The ballistics charts are math, and math is pretty finite.
Have you had opportunity to run the 190/195 class projectiles out of a 7mm-08?

I wonder how they would fare vs. a 308 with similarly heavier classed projectiles?

Have you had opportunity to run the 190/195 class projectiles out of a 7mm-08?

I wonder how they would fare vs. a 308 with similarly heavier classed projectiles?
Not yet. I was planning a future build with a 1:8 twist just for that, but was thinking I might go with a 7mm Creedmoor, instead. Shorter design allows me to seat farther to lands, but still fit in the mag. It also will be about ballistically equal to the 7mm-08. Brass is a simple trip through the expander mandrel. And Lapua makes 6.5CM SRP brass. So…

Well... They're loaded, but I won't be able to test them until next weekend thanks to my range deciding to close today and tomorrow (when I'm off work 🤦🏼)... So, they're not opening back up until this coming Friday (they're normal days are Fri-Mon only). So, it will be Saturday at the earliest, maybe Sunday, depending...

I loaded up some 140 Accubond test loads over 10 years ago for my old Ruger M77 MKII All-Weather Ultralight Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08, but never tested them... And I found them in my dad's safe when he passed a few months ago. And after purchasing a more modern 7mm-08 this past week, with a 1:9 twist, I decided to try some Berger 175 Elite Hunters in it, since I'm having great results in my .280 Ackley 1:9 twist. Unfortunately, they are VERY long, and I had to seat them 0.130" off the lands just to get them short enough to magazine feed (this is a hunting rifle, so I need this function). Luckily they're Hybrid ogive, so hopefully they won't be SUPER picky, and I'll find a node that will work well for this rifle. I'm loading them with Varget in new Nosler brass, with CCI 200 primers. Hoping I find a good load, or else I'm going to have to backup and punt...

Next to my .280 Ackley 175 Elite load…

6302EEBE-9D21-41EF-A373-D7AEB23BACA8.jpeg

Profile to show how deep they are in the case at magazine length.

F74687A8-189B-405D-9613-BF14B33A4A7E.jpeg

140 NAB & 175 Elites ready for testing…

ECCEC66D-939D-4E41-9490-63E1232094EB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: hseII and Modoc
Well... They're loaded, but I won't be able to test them until next weekend thanks to my range deciding to close today and tomorrow (when I'm off work 🤦🏼)... So, they're not opening back up until this coming Friday (they're normal days are Fri-Mon only). So, it will be Saturday at the earliest, maybe Sunday, depending...

I loaded up some 140 Accubond test loads over 10 years ago for my old Ruger M77 MKII All-Weather Ultralight Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08, but never tested them... And I found them in my dad's safe when he passed a few months ago. And after purchasing a more modern 7mm-08 this past week, with a 1:9 twist, I decided to try some Berger 175 Elite Hunters in it, since I'm having great results in my .280 Ackley 1:9 twist. Unfortunately, they are VERY long, and I had to seat them 0.130" off the lands just to get them short enough to magazine feed (this is a hunting rifle, so I need this function). Luckily they're Hybrid ogive, so hopefully they won't be SUPER picky, and I'll find a node that will work well for this rifle. I'm loading them with Varget in new Nosler brass, with CCI 200 primers. Hoping I find a good load, or else I'm going to have to backup and punt...

Next to my .280 Ackley 175 Elite load…

View attachment 8030276

Profile to show how deep they are in the case at magazine length.

View attachment 8030278

140 NAB & 175 Elites ready for testing…

View attachment 8030283
I like 140 class bullets in my 7-08. I think if you want to run a 175 you need a bigger case(like your 280), esp in a hunting rifle. Velocity gives you hydraulic shock and expansion, and think both will be less than ideal with 175s. My 25” barrel runs 140s at 2900 fps+ (actually more like 2950) with 2000MR.
I don’t doubt that they can be made to work, but personally I think there are better options.

Your 280 is to the 7-08 what the -06 is to the 308. Where the bigger case outperforms the smaller is with heavy for class bullets, think 190+ in 30 cal.

I like 140 class bullets in my 7-08. I think if you want to run a 175 you need a bigger case(like your 280), esp in a hunting rifle. Velocity gives you hydraulic shock and expansion, and think both will be less than ideal with 175s. My 25” barrel runs 140s at 2900 fps+ (actually more like 2950) with 2000MR.
I don’t doubt that they can be made to work, but personally I think there are better options.

Your 280 is to the 7-08 what the -06 is to the 308. Where the bigger case outperforms the smaller is with heavy for class bullets, think 190+ in 30 cal.
I’m well aware, been shooting 30+ years, and 25 of those with a 7mm-08. I just like experimenting with heavy-for-caliber bullets when the twist rate allows it. 👍🏼

I’m well aware, been shooting 30+ years, and 25 of those with a 7mm-08. I just like experimenting with heavy-for-caliber bullets when the twist rate allows it. 👍🏼
I’m cheering for you & waiting on the results to be posted.

Think I found a great node with the Berger 175 Elites in my new 20" Ridgeline FFT 7mm-08... No pressure signs other than slightly flattened primers, no ejector swipes, so I'll probably stick with 38.0 grains just for that extra 1/2gr. of velocity. 😏

IMG_5716.jpeg

VNKG5984.jpgLPKE4926.jpg

Loaded my first batch of the hunting ammo for the 7mm-08 w/ the Berger 175 Elites last night. I will be chrono’ing them this weekend to get my real-world numbers with the can on the end. I decided to go with the even 38.0 grains of Varget, because the group was only 0.020” larger, and that extra 1/2 grain will give a small velocity increase with the short 20” barrel. 👍🏼

1A8C60A8-14F7-4170-BDF8-898FD8021C48.jpeg
44005E4E-1BE9-4667-A8F8-F7C5A9595F0B.jpeg
A8DB597E-FD2A-4C29-874D-A1F522FD7AA5.jpeg

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
The barrel on the CAR FFT 7mm-08 is still breaking in, as it’s only had about 75 rounds down it so far…So it’s still getting the grooves smoothed-out. Despite group sizes, I can tell because my ES and SD are still kind of high (for me)…But it’s putting down some great groups with this Berger 175 Elite load!

EAEEC227-9018-42BC-B59E-28B3F5F9878F.jpeg

Yesterday’s testing…

DAB0E76A-3F79-47F2-81C0-625CBC16E653.jpeg284AE929-D6C6-4520-8867-94B46ADE04DE.jpeg

Today’s testing…

69B05634-BA0E-4D7A-AD59-2C1E086A3E37.jpeg12FA6B5A-2A68-4312-956E-6F26297968F5.jpeg

The barrel on the CAR FFT 7mm-08 is still breaking in, as it’s only had about 75 rounds down it so far…So it’s still getting the grooves smoothed-out. Despite group sizes, I can tell because my ES and SD are still kind of high (for me)…But it’s putting down some great groups with this Berger 175 Elite load!

View attachment 8049607

Yesterday’s testing…

View attachment 8049602View attachment 8049601

Today’s testing…

View attachment 8049603View attachment 8049604
What Chrono are you using?

For those running a 7-08, especially with heavier for caliber bullets, it might be worth it to get ahold of some Staball 6.5.

I have a 20” 7-08 1:8 that I ran 180 eldms up to 2590 at Hodgdon book max for a 175. They don’t show data for 180’s unfortunately, 2.950 coal, .020 off lands in a saami chamber. OCW test produced a load around 1 gain below book max, with velocity still around 2530.

162 eldms were at 2770 at book max, 2.930 coal, .020 of the lands. OCW test also showed promise with charge weights about 1 grain below book max, velocity was still around 2720.

This was in Alpha brass, and had no signs of pressure on the brass and perfect extraction. I ran it up a little higher, but velocity started to spike about .5-1 grain over book for both bullets.

Groups were in the .6-.8 range. I might try messing with seating depth a little, but for a hunting gun it would be fine as is.

Reactions: hseII and Modoc