• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 SAUM is here!!! Updated with new pics and specs

25MAN

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2010
New Jersey
William Roscoe of LA Precision built 7SAUM. It is now home!

Specs are:
Trued Remmy Receiver (long action)
Krieger LV 1:9 twist 26 inch
Jewel trigger
McMillian A5 wirh KMW cheek piece
Surgeon bottom metal
break and fluting by Kampfeld custom

Scope:
5-25x56 PMII with the H58 recticle.

updated pics
smile.gif

23wpojk.jpg

1548u8n.jpg

69n6zl.jpg

qswhmd.jpg

1z3mlpi.jpg

Re: 7 SAUM is almost here!!!

Beautiful rifle - I'm interested to see how the barrel fluting affects accuracy when it gets hot.

The barrel will probably just fold in half when it heats up...seriously? haha

Nice. Probably not many tactical rifles out there with scroll engraved receivers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That table's a damn mess, the nerve of some people. </div></div>

i was going to say something but then i remembered how i am. work benches get cluttered but i think the worst is the top of my headstock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. Probably not many tactical rifles out there with scroll engraved receivers. </div></div>

Thats the special "Jersey Shore" pimp edition

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was going to say something but then i remembered how i am. work benches get cluttered but i think the worst is the top of my headstock. </div></div>

I know someone who had something slip off their headstock once while the chuck was spinning around at 800rpm
whistle.gif
He promptly cleaned it off and runs it clean now. You can see that in pic #1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe, what barrel fluting combination is that? SEXY!!! </div></div>

Diamond fluting by Kampfeld, barrel and bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. Probably not many tactical rifles out there with scroll engraved receivers. </div></div>

haha...beggers can't be picky! its the only action I had at the time to play with so I figured William could make it work and damn if he didn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel will probably just fold in half when it heats up...seriously? haha</div></div>
Nicely played - but I actually was being kind of serious...bohem did an interesting write-up on the effects of barrel fluting (conclusion: do it if you like it because although it might make a difference, it probably won't) and CNC performed an FEA analysis on a straight fluted barrel showing slightly different barrel harmonics and significantly different bending stiffness with a straight fluted barrel vs not (that speaks to me as an engineer). I've never seen fluting like that on a tactical gun and it's the first thing that popped into my head.

Of course, I've never heard anything bad about Kampfeld or LA Precision and it looks really good so maybe I should just sit back and drool...

It's the Jersey Farm Boy edition...looks flashy, goes fast, and has an attitude!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel will probably just fold in half when it heats up...seriously? haha</div></div>
Nicely played - but I actually was being kind of serious...bohem did an interesting write-up on the effects of barrel fluting (conclusion: do it if you like it because although it might make a difference, it probably won't) and CNC performed an FEA analysis on a straight fluted barrel showing slightly different barrel harmonics and significantly different bending stiffness with a straight fluted barrel vs not (that speaks to me as an engineer). I've never seen fluting like that on a tactical gun and it's the first thing that popped into my head.

Of course, I've never heard anything bad about Kampfeld or LA Precision and it looks really good so maybe I should just sit back and drool... </div></div>

Here's a 10 shot group from a 260 Remington I built with a spiral fluted Krieger barrel. The fluting didn’t hurt this one or did it? This group measured .137", just for conversation

2lm3r5t.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a 10 shot group from a 260 Remington I built with a spiral fluted Krieger barrel. The fluting didn't hurt this one or did it? This group measured .137", just for conversation
</div></div>
That's exactly why I should stop talking...like I said, LA Precision does top shelf work and I have no doubt that whatever barrel configuration goes on one of their rifles, it should shoot like that. Pretty impressive stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a 10 shot group from a 260 Remington I built with a spiral fluted Krieger barrel. The fluting didn't hurt this one or did it? This group measured .137", just for conversation
</div></div>
That's exactly why I should stop talking...like I said, LA Precision does top shelf work and I have no doubt that whatever barrel configuration goes on one of their rifles, it should shoot like that. Pretty impressive stuff. </div></div>

Believe it or not, I am intrigued by the engineering side of things and respect all aspects and opinions. I welcome this type of discussion and find it interesting. We all need to keep an open mind and try to increase our knowledge.

I am in agreement though that a improperly fluted / machined barrel that has had heat stress introduced during the process will do nothing for accuracy and actually degrade it.

Hello,
That barrel looks incredible!
Since you mentioned that you welcome discussion about the engineering side of things, I'd like to add. My understanding of straight flutes is that they can deliver a more stiff barrel for a given linear lb/in weight when compared to a non-fluted barrel. I think that is pretty straight forward and agreeable. You have material located further from the centerline of the barrel, where it is more efficiently put to use in resisting compression or tension.
A spiral fluted barrel still has some of this benefit I suppose, but not as much as the straight fluted barrel.
This diamond pattern is a different animal. Along the length, you have a continually fluctuating cross sectional area, and you do not have any continuous line of material at the OD: looking a cross sectional profile, it is a series of interrupted cuts.

Now, if you were using this barrel to support a weight cantilevered off one end, this would be a poor choice. But I don't think barrels really work in that manner. Stiffness is good no doubt, but to be honest is the decrease in stiffness enough to matter in application? I doubt it, but I'm not familiar with barrel harmonics. I do wonder how the varying cross sectional areas will react to heat, there could possibly be uneven material expansion.

Well I believe it will be shipped today, if thats the case, it will here next week and my load development will begin. I will be more then happy to keep this post alive so you and others who are interested can see what accuracy this gun (should say shooter haha) can get. Shooting it will answer all questions around accuracy. Comes with a 1/4 inch guarantee so pretty confident having owned LA Precisions rifles, this one will be a hammer like all of his are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gregch44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is this a S/A or L/A? It sure looks purdy. Enjoy it. </div></div>

Long action

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D. Miller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will love the 7Saum. I love mine.

check out this thread for some load and other saum info
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2926609&gonew=1#UNREAD </div></div>

Thank you! I will check this out

great round , beautiful rifle

try the matrix 190 u will love it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rm3red</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That thing is sick looking, congrats bro! </div></div>

Well you'll have to come down and shoot when I get it dialed in...:)

She'll be here Friday!!! whoo hoo!!

I'll update the pics when I have the rail, scope, and rings on it to share with everyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DZelenka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Roscoe,

Did you use the same reamer that you used on mine?

Dan </div></div>

Your throat is slightly longer than this one

It arrived! we got hit with snow today but I will take nicer pics once I can get outside.

Re: 7 SAUM is here!!! Updated with new pics and sp

I've got a very similar setup in 7mag and have considered switching to a 7saum, what load will you be using and what velocity are you expecting from a 26" tube?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a very similar setup in 7mag and have considered switching to a 7saum, what load will you be using and what velocity are you expecting from a 26" tube? </div></div>

I will be playing with H4350, RL25 and 4831

I will be shooting the 162grn AMAX and 180grn Bergers

my hope is to get over 3,100fps with the 162s and mid to upper 2900's with the Bergers.

RL25 can be temperature sensitive. Take a look at H1000 too. That is what I use for my 7mm WSM.

I like the fluting, looks nice.

That is one sexy stick,congrats 25man
I was going to go with the diamond fluting my self just wasn't sure about the way it would look.So i decided on skip fluting in stead.Now just makes it harder to wait.Hope William makes mine as sexy as yours "LOL" You still have that 300 Rum.

For got to ask what she weigh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rottenron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is one sexy stick,congrats 25man
I was going to go with the diamond fluting my self just wasn't sure about the way it would look.So i decided on skip fluting in stead.Now just makes it harder to wait.Hope William makes mine as sexy as yours "LOL" You still have that 300 Rum. </div></div>

Thank you...i wanted something a little different since lets face it, all the guns start looking the same since we all use the same components for the most part haha and the same meaning still awesome just very little differences that make one standout from the other. I think the fluting just made it more interesting and stand out some. very happy with the way it turned out!

I absolutely still have the RUM doubt i could part with it ever haha

the gun weighed around 12lbs but not sure with the scope rings and bi-pod but would guess around 16 pounds...i'll weigh it when i get home traveling for business this week.

I will also start load development this coming weekend and send some range reports

That is the best looking barrel and bolt fluting I have ever seen. The whole rifle is top notch!

Karl does good fluting. He did mine (Bolt) for my Savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rottenron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For got to ask what she weigh. </div></div>

15.5 to 16.5#'s all up

Damn Nice! everthing on that rifle is sick! You get a can on the end of that thunder stick and your set!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 25MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrel will probably just fold in half when it heats up...seriously? haha</div></div>

Of course, I've never heard anything bad about Kampfeld or LA Precision and it looks really good so maybe I should just sit back and drool... </div></div>

Here's a 10 shot group from a 260 Remington I built with a spiral fluted Krieger barrel. The fluting didn’t hurt this one or did it? This group measured .137", just for conversation

2lm3r5t.jpg
</div></div>

Remarkable William! Awesome work. I'll bet that is one happy customer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blackrifleops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn Nice! everthing on that rifle is sick! You get a can on the end of that thunder stick and your set! </div></div>

Dream on....not in NJ

I got to see this gun in person when I was picking up mine. Very unique peice, congrats.

Well getting close to finalizing the load development using Berger 180 hybrids, Reloader 25, Nosler brass, F215 primers.

other specs:
Overall length (varies because of the Berger bullet) 2.915-2.920
Ogive 2.194 from base of the case

The two loads it likes alot are
63.5grns, 5 shot average 2930, SD 9, ES 27
63.7grns, 5 shot average 2944, SD 7, ES 21

With 64grns I did hit 3000fps which was exciting but old smiley face showed up and the accuracy openned up a tad so I will continue to work with the two above at distance and the best performer will win.

And as I expected the gun is an absolute shooter and 1/4 inch 3 shot groups are not an issue what so ever!...the shooter himself does the gun no justice, but it does make me look good which I appreciate and need haha

I will post pics after I finalize the load development but have shot 5 and 7 shot groups measuring .534 and .498 and it can do better only fired 40 shots so far so still getting it and me dialed in. and struggling getting good groups using the H58 reticle which I am getting use to as well. but when it all comes together it should be an animal down range.

Outstanding looking rifle. Congrats!

Any issues feeding the 7SAUM from a 300WM mag (I presume that's what you are using)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any issues feeding the 7SAUM from a 300WM mag (I presume that's what you are using)? </div></div>

Using 338 Lapua mags and zero issues feeds very smoothly...and it will feed regardless of where the bullet sits in the mag meaning if its slightly foward or back the bolt face picks up and chambers it nicely.