• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 SAUM or 7-00 PRC or 7-300WSM

bodhisafa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2013
Trying to make up my mind on which to start a build on. I have a 25 PRC and 300 Norma in the works and think I may need one of the two in the title to “fill the gap” between the 25 and 30 cal.

I am not a higher volume shooter and will be used in a single shot format for long range.

What are your thoughts gentleman?

Do you believe the 7-300 PRC is too close in performance to the Norma ?
Hell, my 7 saum runs basically neck and neck with factory 300 Norma ammo.

Spotting is a bit easier with the 300.

I just don’t see the need for the hassle of 7/300PRC with your current lineup.

Reactions: b6graham
I added the 7-300WSM to the lineup in question.
The 7mm SAUM, while not insanely popular, has a very dedicated following, enough so that there is high quality brass available for it.
The 7-300 WSM was a pretty popular wildcat for a time, but it basically duplicated the SAUM, whereas the 7 WSM has a bit more case capacity, but shorter neck, the SAUM is one of the best case designs going for the 7mm bore.

Are you looking to build a short action?
A long action build just seems like duplicating your efforts with what you have already.
If you wanted something with more ass than a 7-08, but less than the SAUM, the .284 Shehane might scratch your itch.
162 ELDM's at a very respectable velocity.

Reactions: Hkmiller
i
Why did you go with the 7-300wsm route over the 7 saum? I'm in-between those three calibers currently as well.
I don’t have any of the three calibers in the title, I added it to the line up of a choice to make.

Personally I’d go 7-6.5PRC. Reason is simply. Lapua brass and longer barrel life. It’s very close to SAUM performance with better brass and barrel life. The other calibers you mentioned will burn out fast and be a little harder to develop a load for I’d think. If you’re dead set on a long action I’d take the 7-300 PRC for the reasons I stated above. I’d make sure to get a no turn reamer however if going this route.

I added the 7-300WSM to the lineup in question.
When I decided I wanted a 7mm I went through all of the pretty extensively.
I just decided the 7-300WSM juice wasn’t worth the squeeze.
I hear ADG is doing 300WSM brass, that’s certainly helpful but wouldn’t have changed my decision.

When I decided I wanted a 7mm I went through all of the pretty extensively.
I just decided the 7-300WSM juice wasn’t worth the squeeze.
I hear ADG is doing 300WSM brass, that’s certainly helpful but wouldn’t have changed my decision.
What was it about the 300WSM case that did not make the cut?

I had the same question awhile back. Have a 6mm and a 300 Norma, and wanted something with a bit less recoil that would still kick ass at a mile. I went with 7 Saum in a long action, been super happy with it.

Personally I’d go 7-6.5PRC. Reason is simply. Lapua brass and longer barrel life. It’s very close to SAUM performance with better brass and barrel life. The other calibers you mentioned will burn out fast and be a little harder to develop a load for I’d think. If you’re dead set on a long action I’d take the 7-300 PRC for the reasons I stated above. I’d make sure to get a no turn reamer however if going this route.
ADG makes 7mm SAUM brass, I don't think you can get much better.

Reactions: larryh128
I had the same question awhile back. Have a 6mm and a 300 Norma, and wanted something with a bit less recoil that would still kick ass at a mile. I went with 7 Saum in a long action, been super happy with it.
Any feeding problems in a long action?

I don't shoot competition only hunt and informal target but what I can tell you is the 7 SAUM is a very accurate round. I've built 2 different rifles for hunting and they will literally print the same hole at 300 yds with hunting bullets. 1/4 inch groups are common at 300 yds, not 1/4 minute. ADG makes excellent brass and I was just able to pick up more so it's becoming available again. Both of these rifles will print sub 2" groups at 500 yds with low power optics and hunting bullets. Speed is good also.

Reactions: Hkmiller
I ordered a 7mm-6.5 PRC reamer from Manson. Mine will have a 0.045" freebore to accommodate 180s in a SA, but you could go longer in a XM or LA and run 190s. I wanted to do a 7mm SAUM but I've been looking for months and can't find brass. Seriously I love the 7SAUM round, but I'm not going to have a gun that has to sit in the rack be cause I can't get brass. The 6.5 PRC brass is available from Peterson, Lapua, etc so it's quality stuff and a little more prevalent. I can get it on gun broker right now, it's just $3/case. But can you get 7SAUM on there at any price? No. At this point, the only brass prep operation that is required for the conversion as far as I know is a pass over a 7mm sizing mandrel so no big deal. I'm thinking of it as a grownup 7mm-08 and I think it would fill your gap nicely, plus all the powders you're using for the 25PRC may transfer over depending on weights and barrel lengths and stuff.

I ordered a 7mm-6.5 PRC reamer from Manson. Mine will have a 0.045" freebore to accommodate 180s in a SA, but you could go longer in a XM or LA and run 190s. I wanted to do a 7mm SAUM but I've been looking for months and can't find brass. Seriously I love the 7SAUM round, but I'm not going to have a gun that has to sit in the rack be cause I can't get brass. The 6.5 PRC brass is available from Peterson, Lapua, etc so it's quality stuff and a little more prevalent. I can get it on gun broker right now, it's just $3/case. But can you get 7SAUM on there at any price? No. At this point, the only brass prep operation that is required for the conversion as far as I know is a pass over a 7mm sizing mandrel so no big deal. I'm thinking of it as a grownup 7mm-08 and I think it would fill your gap nicely, plus all the powders you're using for the 25PRC may transfer over depending on weights and barrel lengths and stuff.
What are you doing for dies? Is it just a 6.5 PRC bushing die?

I ordered Whidden 6.5 PRC dies w/ a 28cal bushing set. Easy peasy as far as I know. If you’re interested, I’ll shoot you a message with some empirical data when I get it

I prefer the SAUM simply for the case design. I don't really care about a few fps one way or the other.

But, I also greatly prefer a DBM on any rifle, hunting or not.

Reactions: XTREM HTR16
Just saw a gun tuber saying today that Hornady is supposed to announce the 7PRC this fall.. we’ll see if it’s true.

I wonder if they'll set the shoulder back a little? If they build this around the 175 eldx (to include 180 vlds) that would be awesome.

Really?
I’m a bit surprised but that case capacity would be excellent with 168’s obviously
i've seen it posted two different places from 2 different people as bring short

i'd be much more interested if it was a XM length 3.1-3.2" coal with the expanding medium length/tikka market. to me that makes the most sense for a 7mm

load it with the 175 ELD-X and 180-ELD-M

i've seen it posted two different places from 2 different people as bring short

i'd be much more interested if it was a XM length 3.1-3.2" coal with the expanding medium length/tikka market. to me that makes the most sense for a 7mm

load it with the 175 ELD-X and 180-ELD-M
I agree the middle case size between short mag and 300PRC length.

Something like the 7 LRM.

Honestly. I'd probably build a rifle around it regardless, as long as it gets the same reception as the other PRC's. A medium 700 doesn't do much for me just due to the after market but that's growing I guess.

Without going huge, how much more preformance over a 7saum will a Medium length 7mm PRC actually give? And why not just shoot the 7mm rem mag at that point?

The way I see it is either compete in the 7SS/7SAUM territory or go after the 28 Nos. The short mags seem like an easier target at this point.

Honestly. I'd probably build a rifle around it regardless, as long as it gets the same reception as the other PRC's. A medium 700 doesn't do much for me just due to the after market but that's growing I guess.

Without going huge, how much more preformance over a 7saum will a Medium length 7mm PRC actually give? And why not just shoot the 7mm rem mag at that point?

The way I see it is either compete in the 7SS/7SAUM territory or go after the 28 Nos. The short mags seem like an easier target at this point.
a medium length would be going after 7Max/Mega which are for the most part in infancy compared to the 7SS/SAUM

There’s too few medium option magazines and chassis. With Defiance doing XM and LP/Stiller/Zermatt doing a different length action, it’s all a mess. I gave up on my XM build after seeing the disaster that it was going to turn into being stuck with only MDT magazines and limited stock options.

I’m hoping this is a LA. The latest rumor is it’s the 7 LRM that’s been SAAMI-ized. If the better brass companies get onboard (ADG/Peterson/Lapua), that’s a pretty ideal cartridge.

Reactions: BenW
There’s too few medium option magazines and chassis. With Defiance doing XM and LP/Stiller/Zermatt doing a different length action, it’s all a mess. I gave up on my XM build after seeing the disaster that it was going to turn into being stuck with only MDT magazines and limited stock options.

I’m hoping this is a LA. The latest rumor is it’s the 7 LRM that’s been SAAMI-ized. If the better brass companies get onboard (ADG/Peterson/Lapua), that’s a pretty ideal cartridge.
I agree
That’s an area I think has some holes in in it.
You can get a lot done with short mags and 284 based cartridges in a 3.25 ish mag and action

Reactions: ormandj

The 7 LRM brass is now made by ADG. Neither one will confirm, but it is fairly well known

The 7 LRM brass is now made by ADG. Neither one will confirm, but it is fairly well known
I’ve heard the same, and with them being open to other wildcats, I suspect it’s true. I’m curious if they’re going to continue on, assuming the 7 PRC is actually just the 7 LRM. If they do, and one more high quality manufacturer picks it up, it’s going to take off.

So the Defiance XM is a different length than the Zermatt and LP medium actions? Are you saying the action fastener hole spacings are different or the mag well areas are different?

it went through SAAMI approval so yeah that would make sense

Recently? I can't find the drawings on the new or existing cartridges sections of the SAAMI site.

I've been hoping for a 7 based on the 6.5 PRC, from the rumors that doesn't seem to be they way they are going, bummer.

Recently? I can't find the drawings on the new or existing cartridges sections of the SAAMI site.

I've been hoping for a 7 based on the 6.5 PRC, from the rumors that doesn't seem to be they way they are going, bummer.
What would it do better than 7 saum or 7/300WSM?

factory ammo

Yep, basically this, along with factory rifles with fast twists and hopefully more, and more modern load data. Not exactly in line with this thread, but my interest is in a light-ish hunting rifle, it'd be much cheaper to just buy a light factory rifle and have the barrel chopped/threaded than to build a light custom with a 3 position safety like I prefer for hunting. Existing factory 7mm SAUMs, WSMs, and 280 AIs aren't super common, and are often twisted slow. I'm sure I'll just build something eventually, but an easy button would be nice.