• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 saum

HI Guys, just loaded up some berger 175 elite hunters with rl-26. My barrel is a benchmark 8 twist, 5r, #2 with 236 rnds so far.
SA Defiance tenacity, saami spec reamer .321"neck .090" freebore, 175eh seated 2.953" about .055" off the lands, my loads got me to 2895fps with 61.9grs of rl26 and fed mag match primers, ADG brass was brand new and i did not notice any sign of pressure, primer pockets still tight after cleaning.
My group for 5 shots was 1.250" at 200yards. I will test a few loads at 61.8grs and 62grs and I will also try cci br primers and neck turn my brass to see if I can tighten up my groups.
What do you guys think about my load? Is it super close to max pressure or am I over already even though I did not get sticky bolt or extractor marks?
Thank you,
Elmer
Mine wouldn't take that much powder. And I might have a tight barrel.

HI Guys, just loaded up some berger 175 elite hunters with rl-26. My barrel is a benchmark 8 twist, 5r, #2 with 236 rnds so far.
SA Defiance tenacity, saami spec reamer .321"neck .090" freebore, 175eh seated 2.953" about .055" off the lands, my loads got me to 2895fps with 61.9grs of rl26 and fed mag match primers, ADG brass was brand new and i did not notice any sign of pressure, primer pockets still tight after cleaning.
My group for 5 shots was 1.250" at 200yards. I will test a few loads at 61.8grs and 62grs and I will also try cci br primers and neck turn my brass to see if I can tighten up my groups.
What do you guys think about my load? Is it super close to max pressure or am I over already even though I did not get sticky bolt or extractor marks?
Thank you,
Elmer
If your close to pressure you’ll know on second firing in your brass.
Virgin brass always seems to take more powder than fired brass.

Not sure of your barrel length but both my 28” did 3050 with 168’s and 2950 with 180’s easily with R26.

Neck turning seems to do nothing for accuracy but it can help extreme spreads.

Reactions: Schw15
Thank you,
Elmer

Second firing of my ADG brass showed pressure signs when there was none on virgin. Your load is definitely warm but my barrel isn't yours. ADG necks measure pretty dang consistent so I haven't messed with turning necks.

Second firing of my ADG brass showed pressure signs when there was none on virgin. Your load is definitely warm but my barrel isn't yours. ADG necks measure pretty dang consistent so I haven't messed with turning necks.
Unless you’re planning on a lot of ELR with it I wouldn’t bother with neck turning either.

If your close to pressure you’ll know on second firing in your brass.
Virgin brass always seems to take more powder than fired brass.

Not sure of your barrel length but both my 28” did 3050 with 168’s and 2950 with 180’s easily with R26.

Neck turning seems to do nothing for accuracy but it can help extreme spreads.
Ooops forgot to add barrel length, its 24" barrel. I am at 2960 fps with 168 berger vlds and no pressure but close.
Thanks,
Elmer

Still wondering on a good starting point with n165 and 175 ELDX/ 180 Vld. Once again it's the powder I've got. I see a few people are running it in the 280 ackley

Is anyone running the Berger 190’s in a XM or long action? Happy with the results?

Reactions: SuperChop
What kind of velocity have people been seeing with 195 eol's loaded long with which powders and barrel lengths? Im wondering if it might be worth it to try and get them to shoot if I can see them at 2900 with a 24 inch barrel. Any experience here?

Just a FYI situation, I built another 7SAUM after selling my 1st. Because of the bullet shortage, I developed a load with 166 gr A-Tips x RL-26x CCI 250. Very accurate load. Normally I would hunt with 145 gr Barnes LRX but there were none anywhere and I had let my supply go with the previous rifle. Long story a bit shorter, my son shot a decent 8 pt with what I call a 50/50 chest shot. 1/2 way up tight behind the shoulder. Deer took off like a race horse for about 125 yds, paused at the top of a hill (about a second)and popped over. Shot was about 225 yds so not close or long. We walked over to the spot he paused, 0 blood, I followed the trail down about 10 yds to a small flat that runs both ways. Looked right & then left, deer was piled up about 20 yds downhill against a tree. Gutting revealed that the bullet penciled thru the 1st lung and then blew a couple chunks off the 2nd lung. Exit hole was about the size of a nickel. 0 blood on the ground. If it had been a woods situation, recovery would have been strictly by searching. I know guys use them but I can't say they are in any way a hunting bullet, super accurate bullet and I killed a crow at 482 yds later attesting to their accuracy,

What kind of velocity have people been seeing with 195 eol's loaded long with which powders and barrel lengths? Im wondering if it might be worth it to try and get them to shoot if I can see them at 2900 with a 24 inch barrel. Any experience here?
Never shoot the 195, but I think 2900 fps out of a 24" barrel will be a little hard to reach. Even with rl-26. I could be wrong though.

Gotta agree with @Jabot here don't think you could get there on a 24" barrel before you started seeing pressure but I might be wrong in sure @Steel head will chime in he has lots of good data. Once my barrel sped up I could get just under 3000fps with IMR 7977 and Berger 190's loaded 2.975" OAL / 2.218" BTO on a 28" Barrel but it was giving me slight ejector marks on my brass. This was on Norma brass which is softer than ADG but I still think the 24" barrel is what will restrict you to get 2900fps with the 195's.

I saw 2840 with R26 in 28” loaded at 3.05 long with 195’s
My pressure software says that’s 64k

Thanks for the replies everyone. Has anybody tried rl33? I just found a pound on the shelf at my lgs. I wonder how fast a heavy 195 would hit pressure with reloader 33 compared to reloader 26? 🤔

I saw 2840 with R26 in 28” loaded at 3.05 long with 195’s
My pressure software says that’s 64k
Are you using quickload? I think I could get a little more case capacity from a longer throat. How many grains were you at with that load?

Your probably right. I got it to test in my 338wm but i think im going to try and run a ladder with both rifles and see where each ends up. Ill post my results here if anyone else is interested

With a 25" proof CF I'm running 180 Hybrids in front of 60.8 RL26 in Virgin Gunwerks brass with GM215M getting 2890 and ES around 10... very accurate just wish it was shorter barreled for suppressed gets a tad long.

On another note anyone hunting elk or deer with the 180 Hybrids? I know I could prob search and find this or that but might as well ask it here...

With a 25" proof CF I'm running 180 Hybrids in front of 60.8 RL26 in Virgin Gunwerks brass with GM215M getting 2890 and ES around 10... very accurate just wish it was shorter barreled for suppressed gets a tad long.

On another note anyone hunting elk or deer with the 180 Hybrids? I know I could prob search and find this or that but might as well ask it here...
Shot a deer last year with them last year. Was only about 50 yards away and I was almost straight above him, so I hit him on top of shoulders. Bullet broke his bones and keep going, never found it though. That's my only experience with hunting with them, not the best info,

I have only used the 175 elite myself. Lots of success reported - over on Long Range Hunting and Rokslide forums.

I shot a bull this year with a 180 hybrid at 500 behind the shoulder. I recovered the bullet under the offside hide, weighed 91 gr.

Anyone have any experience with Vihtavouri N560 in the 7 SAUM? After burning up less than a pound of RL 22 to get the first 100 or so rounds down the barrel, I'm going back to the drawing board with load development. The bullet will be a 180gr Berger Hunting VLD, ADG brass, and BR2 primer in a short action, 24" LH gain twist barrel (9 to 8.25, compliments of @Glassaholic ). I have about 5 lbs of RL 26 to work with as well but was interested in seeing what N560 would do.

To add some more anecdotal 7 SAUM data from the hunting fields, the 180 gr Berger Hunting VLD performed exceedingly well with a 250 yard, poorly placed shot on a calf bull elk this year. It was a rushed sort of deal and hit halfway back, breaching some stomach contents, but tipped it over after one little spin. Going after Barbary sheep with it next, so definitely have to be spot on.

So I'm currently putting together a 7 SAUM build. I decided to go the arc nucleus gen 2 in a long action amd left handed.

What chassis should I get for this. Weight isnt an issue as it wont be used for hunting, just bench and prone shooting LD.

Looking at the Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 for glass.

Also what brake do you guys recommend for most muzzle reduction.

I currently use the Precision armament M4-72 style on all my other rifles and love them.

I will be using the trigger tech special for the trigger and looking at either LRI or PVA for the barrel. Looking at either 28 or 30in barrel.

Doc

I wish there was a Dark Lord of Optics for suppressors on here. There is so much going on in that space it is difficult to make heads or tales of them!

So I'm currently putting together a 7 SAUM build. I decided to go the arc nucleus gen 2 in a long action amd left handed.

What chassis should I get for this. Weight isnt an issue as it wont be used for hunting, just bench and prone shooting LD.

Doc

Lots of options on the chassis, pretty much all the usual suspects do a left hand... I'm doing a similar long action build and bought a LA Xylo on their sale. Xylo has to be left handed for you I guess so might slow it down a bit.

I also just tried an MPA Matrix which I like a lot, it's ambi.

Reactions: Doc68

Looking at the Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25 for glass.

Also what brake do you guys recommend for most muzzle reduction.

I currently use the Precision armament M4-72 style on all my other rifles and love them.

I will be using the trigger tech special for the trigger and looking at either LRI or PVA for the barrel. Looking at either 28 or 30in barrel.

Doc
Decide on the chassis features you want then buy the one with them that catches your eye.
They all are adjustable enough to get a good fit so unless you have a specific need they all work just as well.
I like my XLR’s, cheap, simple and effective but MDT and KRG’s are nice as well.

I believe @Sniperwannabee said my Sidewinder brake made my 7 saum shoot softer than his suppressed 6.5 CM AI, at the time it was probably lighter than his AI as well.

What twist are you planning on getting?
7SAUM 💪
48ED7F87-B406-40D5-A9DA-684DFD030ED1.jpeg

E9891C6D-0161-4D2B-98C6-B03E65CCF6AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Chassis mdt acc.
Break apa lil bastard gen 3

Forsure stay away from the pst gen 2
I've seen 5 of them go down. 3 elavation quit dialing, 2 windage knob quit.

Chassis and breaks are personal preference. But if the glass breaks u done for the day

Chassis mdt acc.
Break apa lil bastard gen 3

Forsure stay away from the pst gen 2
I've seen 5 of them go down. 3 elavation quit dialing, 2 windage knob quit.

Chassis and breaks are personal preference. But if the glass breaks u done for the day
And they are quite limited in usable elevation which is not ideal to stretch out your shiny new 7SAUM.

Decide on the chassis features you want then buy the one with them that catches your eye.
They all are adjustable enough to get a good fit so unless you have a specific need they all work just as well.
I like my XLR’s, cheap, simple and effective but MDT and KRG’s are nice as well.

I believe @Sniperwannabee said my Sidewinder brake made my 7 saum shoot softer than his suppressed 6.5 CM AI, at the time it was probably lighter than his AI as well.

What twist are you planning on getting?
7SAUM 💪
View attachment 7767487
View attachment 7767491
Looking at an 8 twist to shoot the 184 and 197 gr bullets.

Doc

Reactions: Steel head
Ok, so what glass. looking to keep glass under 2500.00.

I really dont know. It mostly will be shot at 1200yds that I have daily access to. But want to go to 2k. I know you dont need 300x magnification to get that far, but at the same time I prefer to be able to zoom in a bit.

This is my true first ELR build and would love to hear some good recommendations for some good glass in my price range. Most likely will be able to add a bit to the 2500, but that's just what I put in my budget.

Doc

I really dont know. It mostly will be shot at 1200yds that I have daily access to. But want to go to 2k. I know you dont need 300x magnification to get that far, but at the same time I prefer to be able to zoom in a bit.

This is my true first ELR build and would love to hear some good recommendations for some good glass in my price range. Most likely will be able to add a bit to the 2500, but that's just what I put in my budget.

Doc
I’d really look at the Cronus, bushy Gen 3 and similar LOW built scopes.
A lot performance for the $$$ and with a 40-45 moa rail or mount you’ll be able to dial up for 2000 or be really close depending on air.

A HUGE step above a PST G2 for not a lot more $$$ and easy good enough for 2000+ yards.

Doc
Mark 5 would come in under that price
Used 7x35 atacr

I meant the 183....damn fat finger that. Lol. Those people at sierra did a good job on that bullet for sure.

Doc
It’s quite sleek for the weight, bit more temperamental than the Berger but once sorted out you can get some impressive giggle level speed and trajectories from them.

Now that my 7 saum is in momma bear category once I shoot up my 190’s I’m probably going to just shoot the 183.

The 184 Berger is another awesome bullet.

For really stretching out the 7 saum for me nothing beats the 190 Berger LRHT,,,,,, great BC, decent speed and impressive consistency.

Hangs with the 338’s and and 300NM affordably and with impressively mild recoil.

It’s quite sleek for the weight, bit more temperamental than the Berger but once sorted out you can get some impressive giggle level speed and trajectories from them.

Now that my 7 saum is in momma bear category once I shoot up my 190’s I’m probably going to just shoot tye 183.

Have you tested the 183s? I've got some 190s as well but would like to try the smk.

Have you tested the 183s? I've got some 190s as well but would like to try the smk.
Yes.
Really like them, midway had 183 blems for an insanely good price a year ago or so and I bought a bunch.

Not as consistent as the 190 but more than good enough at reasonable distances.

The 185RDF isn’t bad as well.

I wish there was a Dark Lord of Optics for suppressors on here. There is so much going on in that space it is difficult to make heads or tales of them!

Any thing thunderbeast will be top of line

For Optics… vortex razor gen 2… best bang for the buck in a lot of people opinion

it is true @Steel head 7 Saum shot like a 223 with that sidewinder

Last edited:
I have my 7 SAUM in a KRG Bravo, using a PVA JetBlast brake with a NF C624 for optics and a Curtis Axiom SA. I've taken it out to 700 with 175gr and 162gr ELD-X over Reloader 26. I am very happy with the entire package.

Ive got a bunch of 183smk to try out one day but have always used berger 184 and 190's, Im just really happy with bergers right now.

I'm running them in a Stiller Predator xm action. 24 inch HLR carbon barrel, 8 twist. 2885 fps, SD of around 6 fps. Does everything I need.
Those are some sweet numbers,
What oal did you end up at?