• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7 saum

Berger 175s say 1-9 twist
I ran them in a 9 twist in a 7 mag. Only
Shot them out to 750 in the 7 mag without any problems. Never ran a 8.5 .
Got a 8 twist with the saum now

Reactions: LEROYRECCE
I know this isn't the marketplace, but does anyone know where I can get a 7 SAUM Redding competition seating die?

Last edited:
Brownells has the 7 saum S match available, but have not seen the comp seating die in a while.

Reactions: LEROYRECCE
Brownells has the 7 saum S match available, but have not seen the comp seating die in a while.

Awesome, I appreciate it.

Reactions: Kddt
Those guys with Proof / Saami spec chambers, can you still load them long and are you having success with the 180 Bergers?

I'm building on a Tikka, so it's not limited to short action length COAL, but also am leaning towards a Proof.

Those guys with Proof / Saami spec chambers, can you still load them long and are you having success with the 180 Bergers?

I'm building on a Tikka, so it's not limited to short action length COAL, but also am leaning towards a Proof.

My 7 SAUM is SAAMI Chamber and it shoots bugholes with the 190 Berger LRHT, I am restricted on a SA with mag feeding to 2.970" COAL but I can single feed longer and still not hit jam... Lemme check my notes and see where I found jam cant remember off top of my head

Reactions: R_Swanson
Thanks guys - @BoltRunner that would be great if you get a chance.

3.09 was what I showed as jam on my SAAMI Chamber with Berger 190 LRHT but I measured using Erik Cortina's method with a dummy round and my chamber so this could be off by a couple thousandths... I don't use a Hornady Modified Case/OAL Gauge as 99.9% of the time I'm running inside of mag length restrictions so I don't worry about jam to much for my rifles... Hope that helps though...

Reactions: R_Swanson
3.09 was what I showed as jam on my SAAMI Chamber with Berger 190 LRHT but I measured using Erik Cortina's method with a dummy round and my chamber so this could be off by a couple thousandths... I don't use a Hornady Modified Case/OAL Gauge as 99.9% of the time I'm running inside of mag length restrictions so I don't worry about jam to much for my rifles... Hope that helps though...
Yeah this is what I was looking for, thanks!

Jam was 3.00 with 180 VLDs. Brand new chamber using a Hornady OAL gauge.

Has anyone played around with the 180 scenar? I know the BC isn't as good as the eld-m's, but they sure are nice and consistant, and I've noticed they take quite a bit less powder to get velocity, thanks to that long bearing surface. Rifle is a Rem 700 SA, 1-8" Rock HV at 24", sitting in a heavy fill A3, feeding from Alpha mags. I'm just getting around to working up loads. I've got H1000, H4350, and some R26, 180 ELD-M and 180 scenars. R-P .300 SAUM and Bertram 7saum brass. Rifle is a long range play toy.

Has anyone played around with the 180 scenar? I know the BC isn't as good as the eld-m's, but they sure are nice and consistant, and I've noticed they take quite a bit less powder to get velocity, thanks to that long bearing surface. Rifle is a Rem 700 SA, 1-8" Rock HV at 24", sitting in a heavy fill A3, feeding from Alpha mags. I'm just getting around to working up loads. I've got H1000, H4350, and some R26, 180 ELD-M and 180 scenars. R-P .300 SAUM and Bertram 7saum brass. Rifle is a long range play toy.
They remind me of the 180ELD profile but probably not have the 180ELD issues.

The 180 ELD is awesome if you like magic tricks!
3DFEEDE2-A6AC-4510-957D-33CFEE6FB08F.gif

Where are all the 160-180gr .284 bullets hiding? I'm on discord and I still haven't found any 180 hybrids or 162eld-x.

Saw a couple of places with the 190s, but the 180s seem to be unobtanium right now.

Where are all the 160-180gr .284 bullets hiding? I'm on discord and I still haven't found any 180 hybrids or 162eld-x.
Popularity my friend... Anything that's a hot item that all the "Top Guys" shoot is Unicorn dust... Meantime there's lots of other bullets that are great, available, and good prices... Just my $0.02

Originally posted in the general reloading thread, but thought it would get more exposure here.

I called Ramshot today and asked if LRT would work in 7mm Saum with 183gr SMK's.
They said you could not get enough inside the case to make it work.

Time to do some research......

Compared the following cartridges that have LRT load data on Ramshot's website

6.5x284 Norma H2O 68.33 gr Load: 66.3gr / 140gr bullet
6.5 PRC H2O 62.0 gr Load: 63.5gr / 147gr bullet

7mm Saum specs: H2O 72.6gr Load example: Retumbo 66gr with 175gr bullet

Unless I'm missing something, the Saum case can hold more water and the powder amount is very similiar to the 6.5x284 Norma listed.
Later this week I'll pull out the weight scale and drop some LRT powder in a Saum case just to see what it looks like.

Originally posted in the general reloading thread, but thought it would get more exposure here.

I called Ramshot today and asked if LRT would work in 7mm Saum with 183gr SMK's.

Unless I'm missing something, the Saum case can hold more water and the powder amount is very similiar to the 6.5x284 Norma listed.
Later this week I'll pull out the weight scale and drop some LRT powder in a Saum case just to see what it looks like.
The one difference is bore diameter to case capacity and it’s relation to pressure curves and other big brain voodoo.
Bigger bore for a similar powder volume likes a faster powder burn rate.
Also bullet weight to powder volume and powder’s energy capabilities

I can tell you that getting enough H1000, 7977, retumbo and 8133 into a 7 saum case with 175/180 and heavier bullet is difficult especially at SA OAL.

That’s why I went with R26, N565 and N570.
More energy can be stuffed into the same volume.

64 grains of H1000 or 66.5 of retumbo with a 180 hybrid are extremely compressed quite possibly damaging the bullet and/or seating die and I can get the same speed or even more with R26 at a bit over 60 grains without wrecking dies, bullets or brass.

My absolute top powder picks for 7 saum is H4831 for 175 and lighter with N165 being exceptionally good as well
R26 for above 175 grains with N565 being second place.
At long action lengths options open up a bit.

Last edited:

Listen to Steel Head I promise it'll save you some time, I wore the poor guy out when I was doing load development and I should have just drug my shit to his house and saved time/bullets/etc. I was and still am restricted with the powder I can find which is either IMR 4831, IMR 7828 SSC, and IMR 7977. I run either Nosler 185 RDF or Berger 190's and like Steel Head said getting enough powder in the case with longer bullets and being restricted on a SA is tough. I either started seeing pressure before I got the speed I wanted on the faster burning powders or I couldn't get enough powder in the case on the slower burn rates. IMR 7977 and Berger 190's loaded max mag length 2.970" got me over 2900fps but I started seeing light ejector marks on the softer Nosler Brass. I backed down the 7977 to get out of pressure signs and now I'm around 2800fps, would love to have ADG brass but been trying to get my hands on them forever with no luck...

Listen to Steel Head I promise it'll save you some time, I wore the poor guy out when I was doing load development and I should have just drug my shit to his house and saved time/bullets/etc. I was and still am restricted with the powder I can find which is either IMR 4831, IMR 7828 SSC, and IMR 7977. I run either Nosler 185 RDF or Berger 190's and like Steel Head said getting enough powder in the case with longer bullets and being restricted on a SA is tough. I either started seeing pressure before I got the speed I wanted on the faster burning powders or I couldn't get enough powder in the case on the slower burn rates. IMR 7977 and Berger 190's loaded max mag length 2.970" got me over 2900fps but I started seeing light ejector marks on the softer Nosler Brass. I backed down the 7977 to get out of pressure signs and now I'm around 2800fps, would love to have ADG brass but been trying to get my hands on them forever with no luck...
A guy on accurateshooter has 475 pcs of 183? hybrids for sale. Berger. Saw some were looking.

Follow up on LRT powder in 7mm Saum:

Measured out 62.5grs of LRT into a case. It's approx .550"* below the case mouth.
Compared to H1000 at 62.5grs, it's approx .475"* below the case mouth.
*depth is approximate using measured rod.

Notes: LRT is a fine spherical shape powder, not the blocky logs H1000 is. So it settled down into the case nicely.

Bullet seating (dud case only) tests to follow.

Follow up on LRT powder in 7mm Saum:

Measured out 62.5grs of LRT into a case. It's approx .550"* below the case mouth.
Compared to H1000 at 62.5grs, it's approx .475"* below the case mouth.
*depth is approximate using measured rod.

Notes: LRT is a fine spherical shape powder, not the blocky logs H1000 is. So it settled down into the case nicely.

Bullet seating (dud case only) tests to follow.
Isn’t LRT more like retumbo burn rates?
If it’s a ball powder it’s possibly double base and energy dense so probably still could work.

I'll drop 62.5grs of Retumbo in a case and compare with the LRT same amount.

Update 1/8/2022: 62.5grs of Retumbo looks to have about the same case fill as H1000.

Last edited:
64 grains of ramshot magnum was the most I could compress into my 284, with 195 EOL seated touching the rifling. I never had a stiff bolt and brass looked great. Gave me much higher velocity then H4350 and IMR 4955. LRT would be too slow in my 284 but a SAUM may have enough volume if you can seat the bullets out long

Update 1/8/2022: 62.5grs of Retumbo looks to have about the same case fill as H1000.
Interesting to see speeds.
I was a good bit beyond 62.5 of H1000 at long action lengths before I got the speeds I wanted.

So my build:

ARC Nucleus Gen 2 LH long action
MPA competition chassis
NF NX8 4-32
Area 419 Sidewinder Brake
Preferred Barrels 27" 1/8 twist barrel
Atlas Bipod
Trigger tech Special for the trigger

Don't know what rings yet or if I'm going to go with a SPUHR mount yet.

Components:
Norma's brass since I can't get ahold of any ADG currently. Got on the wait list.
Sierra 183 and 197gr bullets to try out.

Still looking for dies and powder

Reactions: Steel head
Reactions: Doc68
So my build:

ARC Nucleus Gen 2 LH long action
MPA competition chassis
NF NX8 4-32
Area 419 Sidewinder Brake
Preferred Barrels 27" 1/8 twist barrel
Atlas Bipod
Trigger tech Special for the trigger

Don't know what rings yet or if I'm going to go with a SPUHR mount yet.

Components:
Norma's brass since I can't get ahold of any ADG currently. Got on the wait list.
Sierra 183 and 197gr bullets to try out.

Still looking for dies and powder
Which reamer are you going to use?

I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions. I built it on the long action to shoot the 183+ heavies. What would you recommend?

Doc
Standard reamer will be about 3.02-3.09 on various 180-190’s
The 183 will be above 3.11 as it has a long nose and minimal body

The common long action .200ish FB reamer will be about .110 longer.
Most bullets will be fine but the 183 will have minimal engagement in the neck I’m guessing

I can mock it up and measure later possibly.

Here’s a die set in the PX

I just got some ADG 7SAUM brass that I've had on back order for about 6 months. There is probably more hitting stores very soon. If someone is hard up for brass I formed some from 6.5 GAP/4S brass from G A Precision. Was an easy deal.

I just got some ADG 7SAUM brass that I've had on back order for about 6 months. There is probably more hitting stores very soon. If someone is hard up for brass I formed some from 6.5 GAP/4S brass from G A Precision. Was an easy deal.
Did you just neck up using an expander mandrel?

Anyone use Accurate MagPro for this yet?

Doc
Rustyinbend has a lot of experience with Magpro. I don't know if he loads 7 Saum or not but he ran some figures for me. I used it with 166 gr ATips and it looked pretty good. I didn't get it up to speed but probably will shortly. Meters great.

I found some load data from accurate starting at 58.0 and 64gr max for 175gr bullets. I gonna try that and see where I can go from there.

Doc