• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

75 gr bthp in a 20" 1 in 9?

700sendero

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Hey guys was wondering if anyone is shooting the hornady 75 grainers out of a remmy 700 sps tac with good results?..I know with the slower twist and short barrel it might be on the edge of stability. ..I read somewhere that hornady did something with that bullet to shoot in the slower twist......any info would be appreciated...powders on hand..rl 15 varget and 3031

I've got a very good Hornady 75 gr. load for a 700 VTR with a 1:9 twist... I believe I'm running 24.5 gr of Varget and Fed primers. It shoots 1/2 moa (when I do my part) at 100 and I've made consistent hits beyond 600. Hope this helps.

My 1-9 16" ar loves em and varget. I've shot them in a longer bolt gun and they work good there too. If you're shootin a bolt gun give the amaxs a try, my old savage loved em.

Stability wise you probably will be ok with that bullet. The 75 a-max would be iffy. Berger has a interesting stability calculator on their website. If you are at elevation it helps stability, the lower V out of a 20" hurts stability but a much bigger factor is temperature. Cold temperatures require faster twists. Im not saying the pill you mention wouldnt be stable at cold temperatures im just bringing it up FYI. Play with the stability calculator at the berger website. You will need the OAL of the bullet. My load is very close to Remlins but with RP BR primers.

Great info guys keep it commin..lol....with the shorty barrel...u think power pro 2000 would be a better powder choice for the added velocity?

700Sendero,

Should be good in most situations unless everything really stacks against you in a worst case scenario. Also might want to check the twist rate in your rifle; not at all unusual to see buttoned barrels deviate from what they're "supposed" to be by as much as a half inch or more, in either direction. That is, your 1x9" twist barrel could just as easily be a 1x8.5", or a 1x9.5". Luck of the draw here, and could work for or against you. In either case, the only way to find out for sure is to try them. I'm betting they'll work just fine.

Great info guys keep it commin..lol....with the shorty barrel...u think power pro 2000 would be a better powder choice for the added velocity?

I wouldnt. I dont think you can hot rod a load enough to make a real difference. Playing with the stability calculator would tell you. If you are using a temperature sensitive powder and it gets cold now your max load drops in V when you really need it. I would get a good accurate max load with the 75 hpbts and varget, shoot out the barrel, then put a 1-7 on. As KSthomas mentioned The only way to know is to try. Hell 75 amaxs might work!

^^^agreed!

While the conventional wisdom is that extra speed can help cure a stability issue, it really can't in most issues. I've seen a few cases where the bullet was so close to the edge that some added fps really did bring them stable, you have to remember that if you're that close to the edge, you're going to have problems. In general, the idea of increasing velocity to bring about stability is impractical. To do so, in most cases, would call for loads that would take what was a safe load and kick them well into proof load territory . . . or beyond.

At sea level and a standard atmosphere (59°F, 29.92" Hg, 0% humidity) the Hornady 75gr HPBT (OAL 0.987") @ 2700fps from a 1:9 barrel has a stability factor of 1.36. At 0°F and sea level, stability drops to 1.21.

Something between 24.0-24.5gr Varget should provide you great accuracy; 24.0gr Varget with the 75gr HPBT and CCI-200 has worked VERY well the past for me through 20/26" 1:9 barrels, and should get you to 2700fps +/-.

If you want more velocity, try 8208XBR.

Can't speak to handloads, but I have a Rem 700 SPS Tac .223 with the 20" barrel (and a B&C aftermarket stock), and I just shot a 15/16" three shot group this past weekend at 200 yards with Hornady's 75 BTHP Match ammo (vel. = 2790). I didn't think my 1:9 twist barrel would shoot 75 grainers well, but Cabela's had some 75 BTHP Match ammo on sale so I thought I'd try. Seems to really like it as most groups at 100 and 200 yards are around 1/2 MOA. I've also tried some Black Hills 75 BTHP red box, and when I do my job also shoots 1/2 MOA groups at 100 & 200 yards.

Last edited:
Now for the toughest question of all.....where can I find some????..btw thanks again guys for all the responses....

My 700 tactical .223 shoots the PRVI 75 and Hornady BTHP 75 around 1"@200 yds with 24-24.5 varget 2.275 OAL. I have had no luck with Hornady 75Amax they must be too long for the 1/9 twist.

I was messing around with the berger calculator....the 77 smk and the hornady 75 were almost identical stability rating...like 1.35 give or take...so they should...stabalize..what say you?

I was messing around with the berger calculator....the 77 smk and the hornady 75 were almost identical stability rating...like 1.35 give or take...so they should...stabalize..what say you?

Yes, both will be stable and one or both should give good accuracy.

I've been shooting Nosler 77s over 24.0gr W748.

These average about 1 moa accuracy from my 16" 1/9 AR15. I figure that's pretty fair considering chrome-lined, non-floating bbl, issue trigger, and adjustable stock. Velocity is about 2650 fps.

They shoot tiny groups for me in my 1/9 with 23.5 gr of varget in lc brass and remington 6 1/2 primers seated at magazine depth, but mine is a 24in barrel and I am around Denver, so my elevation is about a mile high. If you don't find any pm me. I have 5 brand new boxes, and I could let a box or two go.

I shoot tiny groups with my Rem 5R 1/9 with AAC can with 77 gr SMK's. it is easily my most accurate gun. It's under a half and frequently 1/4 inch. When I shoot that gun, there are very rarely two holes.

So the 1/9 won't shoot heavies is non sense.

H322. Wolf primers 77gr SMK or 75 hornady s