• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm-08 Freebore

Rockdoc173

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2014
    Florida
    I'm about to start a new project, a 7mm-08 built on a SA ARC Archimedes. I'm downloading a M700 RH 7/08 and replacing it with an updated LH. I had good results using 166 ATips in the outgoing rifle, so I want to reproduce that in the new gun. I want to do a custom reamer so all my barrels going forward for this rifle will be as close to the same as possible. My dummy round sits at 2.936" COAL, that length functions in my MDT mags. My question is this: How do I know what freebore to go with? Ideally I'd like for the ogive to sit 0.010 off the lands, I have found that to be a good starting place in all my rifles. I need the bullet as far out of the case as possible to facilitate powder capacity, while fitting in the mag, and not a huge jump to the lands. I guess I don't wanna call up one of the reamer makers and sound like a complete dodo, so I'm lookin for a little edjumakation

If it matters, the purpose for the rifle is for target shooting. 19<Target weight<21lb. Abbreviated build list for those who care is below

KRG Bravo with enclosed forend, ARCA rail and Heavy spacer, probably a Benchmark VCC at 26", BA TSPro, SB in Badger rings with a AF level, Atlas bipod, 419 brake, and other various trinkets along the way. Be gentle, I'm no gunsmith lol

I would think you could make a dummy round and send it to your reamer manufacturer and he make the reamer to your specifications. Ask him.
    Tannel always required a dummy round for the rifles he built for me. Reamer maker should be able to do the same..

I had good results using 166 ATips in the outgoing rifle, so I want to reproduce that in the new gun. I want to do a custom reamer so all my barrels going forward for this rifle will be as close to the same as possible.
    I'm not "getting it".
    Your "outgoing" rifle was (presumably) chamber was cut with a standard, SAAMI spec reamer.
    You say you want to reproduce that- then say you want a custom reamer (?).

You can send a dummy round to get a custom reamer ground for both neck and freebore as mentioned. Or, just use a SAAMI reamer to replicate your current chamber.

I would think you could make a dummy round and send it to your reamer manufacturer and he make the reamer to your specifications. Ask him.
    Tannel always required a dummy round for the rifles he built for me. Reamer maker should be able to do the same..
    That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure it was that easy. I'll call PTG today

Reactions: Tsovern
    In my experience, PTG has great products, t e r r I b l e business practices lol