• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm saum

264win

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2008
    whidbey island wa.
    im having a 7mm saum built for long range , and am looking for some insight it will have 28 " # 7 barrel ,hs stock , win action .id like to shoot the 162 a max or the berger 168 ,180 vld anyone have ant exp. with this round ? would i be beter with a 1-8 or 1-9 twist ? if anyone has a pet load that would be great . thanks adam

Re: 7mm saum

If you want to shoot the 168, a 1:10 twist will work, and for the 180 a 1:9 twist will work. If you can throat the chamber long, and still mag feed, then go with the 180's. If not, go with the 168's. Either will do fine. You may not be able to mag feed with the 180 VLD's in a short action.

thanks for the info . ron @ benchmark barrels agreed that that the 1:9 twist would be fine for the 180s . i think im going with a 3 groove 28" , # 7 contour .it will be throated for the big boys i plan on single loading it anyway . cant wait to try it !!

IMO the 162s are very underrated when compared to the 180s. So far in my testing with the WSM, the 162s are easier to load for and have less drop then the 180s.

Hi i use the 162 A Max in my 7mmSAUM it is a perfect projectile allows heaps of velocity with a great BC, the other thing about the A MAx is it has a thin jacket and plastic tip so they explode on impact and realy do a heap of damage. If you want a projectile to hold together though the 175gr Sierra MatchKings are hard to beat they are accurate and thicker jackets hold up on heavier game.

sounds like im on the right track . if anyone has a favorite load for the 180 , 168 or 162 id love to hear it . thanks adam

thanks for the info ive purchased some norma 300 saum brass . redding fl , neck bushing dies any powder recomendations ? ill be starting with the 162 amax and 168 berger . thanks adam

I have just done the first preasure tests with Reloader 17 in virgen 300SAUM brass....got a tight lift on the bolt @ 59.5 gr @ 3157fps (24" tube) but that is hot....slight ejector mark at 58gr and have loaded some at 57.5gr to test how far off the lands it likes but weather stoped me trying those yet. The amaxes in my other rifles grouped best 60 thou of but as these are hunting rifles I dont test touching or jammed in...dont want the risk of leaving a pill in when ejecting a loaded round
    wink.gif

63.5 N165 gave me 3050fps as well:)